The CORRECT way to store your bud?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Delimma time. Do I burp, pointlessly letting in more air
You may have already burped during your curing? If you like the smell how it is now, just vac-seal again and forget about it until it is needed...leaving it somewhere cool and in the dark of course!

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
My understanding wrt burping is that there is a little team of bacteria slowly breaking down the chlorophyll and releasing that wet hay smell. They need fresh air to continue their little process, I'm not sure if they are breathing the oxygen or it's just that the chlorophyll by products have reached saturation in the air. Reducing the levels of chlorophyll increases smoothness.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
You may have already burped during your curing? If you like the smell how it is now, just vac-seal again and forget about it until it is needed...leaving it somewhere cool and in the dark of course!
The argument the grower made was, if you dry correctly, you just jar and don't need to let moisture out, and burping downgrades the bud as it's letting air in. The cure happens in time. They dry, package, and send to dispensaries without burping. This seems heretical, but I don't know, so half burped, half not.
I've been very pleased with 2022 crop. Looks, smells, vapes, fine. I do think that vacuum sealing is a good idea, and it will get done as soon as I can manage. I usually love this sort of thing.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I've burped because I was taught to burp. This year, I heard that if you dried and cured correctly, you don't need to burp. At this point, I'd dried, cured and jarred. Delimma time. Do I burp, pointlessly letting in more air, or do I not burp, and end up with moldy weed that taste like grass clippings?
I haven't got enough experience with this- but the people doing the vacuum cob technique claim that mold will not grow in vacuum.

I'm pretty sure so long as the weed has been dried to the desired humidity level before sealing you won't get mold.

I 'll be curing by sweating the just-dried herb in vacuum until i reach the desired consistency, then re-vac and store in low temperature (not freezing). The mason jars with Foodsaver sealer seem like the ideal solution :rockon:

For now I bought some plastic Foodsaver tubs and was happy to find my cheap-ass Silvercrest vac sealer has a compatible nozzle so I'm already vacuuming away!

Re: burping- i think if you let the fermentation continue the hay/ grass smell goes away as the chlorophyll degradation proceeds.. this is what i did last summer and the bud did not lose its original aroma after sweating in vacuum for 3 months... The buds looked noticeably darker. It did seem like a more pleasant vape and easy to crumble without a grinder.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
For now I bought some plastic Foodsaver tubs

When I bought the latest rechargeable sealer (this newer model has the auto-shutoff feature), I run it a second time for a better seal.

FoodSaver FS2160 Multi-Use Handheld Vacuum Sealer And Marinator, 2146039”

It came with a PLASTIC tube, I wasn’t going to use it for my herb, but since I had read they often lose the seal, I did tests, hoping to maybe store some cereal in it, but unlike glass Ball/Kerr jars, the seal in the tub never lasted more then 5 days. I’ll stick with the glass jars.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Will report back if they lose the seal.... and return them to Amazon!

The other tubs i had tried before were cheaper and certainly did not look nowhere near as well-made as these tubs. They have a little bubble that pops in when the vaccum is there.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I haven't got enough experience with this- but the people doing the vacuum cob technique claim that mold will not grow in vacuum.

I'm pretty sure so long as the weed has been dried to the desired humidity level before sealing you won't get mold.

I 'll be curing by sweating the just-dried herb in vacuum until i reach the desired consistency, then re-vac and store in low temperature (not freezing). The mason jars with Foodsaver sealer seem like the ideal solution :rockon:

For now I bought some plastic Foodsaver tubs and was happy to find my cheap-ass Silvercrest vac sealer has a compatible nozzle so I'm already vacuuming away!

Re: burping- i think if you let the fermentation continue the hay/ grass smell goes away as the chlorophyll degradation proceeds.. this is what i did last summer and the bud did not lose its original aroma after sweating in vacuum for 3 months... The buds looked noticeably darker. It did seem like a more pleasant vape and easy to crumble without a grinder.
The cob technique looks interesting. I'm eagerly watching to see how it works for you, and would try it. When things calm down, I'll read about it. Thank you for introducing me to the concept.
I wash, trim, dry, jar, and usually burp my jars initially, but half I didn't burp. I use quart jars, and they go in large plastic tubs. I have 4 tubs, so I figure I have 3 months supply in each tub. I keep 3-4 smaller jars at my station that I fill every few days. Small and quart jars have Boveda or Boost, and every third jar has a hygrometer. It's getting to be Spring, so the tubs are going into the root cellar minus an arbitrary number of jars I'll keep close at hand.
This year wasn't as hot when I harvested, so it took 7 days for the dry, but I had humidity to contend with. That was different, but not a problem.
Boveda goes in my kief box as well, and when I press my kief into pucks, I put them in a secure container that I set aside, and can never find again. They can't have walked off, so I know they are around here somewhere.
Rosin gets stored in the refrigerator, but I might be able to be convinced to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a rosin cooler if enough people tell me I'm ruining my life by putting my rosin in a refrigerator.
I keep infused butters and oils in the freezer. Tincture and infused sugar in a cool closet.
I've managed to get a dozen jars sealed so far, so I am plugging away at it. It's a good idea, I just like to resist a bit when good habits introduce themselves. I long to have a rebel soul.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
As predicted, 2 of the 3 the plastic (polycarbonate) Foodsaver tubs lost the vacuum after only a week or so... I thought the brand name woud be guarantee but it looks like the glass mason jars are the only option for vacuum containers ?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Also works with the bottle stoppers.
Pity those bottle stoppers cannot be used on carbonated/fizzy drinks according to the FoodSaver video.
looks like the glass mason jars are the only option for vacuum containers ?
I have had no problems with jars sealed for about 2 years...still hard to get the lid off as I do not use the tool that some recommend as they tend to bend the lid making them useless for reuse.

relaxativas

Does anyone know how to store hash specifically?

I've just had a 30+ day t-break and I have a decent amount of hash that I'd like to keep as potent as possible so I don't feel rushed to use it up quickly and need a t-break again. I will keep it to 1-2 times a week from now on (from almost daily) so the amount I have will last for quite some time.

I've been trying to look around a bit but most articles seem to be about flower. I'm not sure what tips for storing bud applies to hash. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

GratefulDread

I feel a lot more comfortable buying large amounts of herb with the vacuum sealer setup.
The bluetooth hygrometers have been a treat as well.
Really nice having more data/control over my herb storage.
Highly recommend 👍

GratefulDread

Sorry for the double post.. I can't edit my previous one anymore.
Has anyone tried vacuum sealing a jar of ground weed? I'm assuming some of it would get sucked into the vacuum if it's too dry.

GratefulDread,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Sorry for the double post.. I can't edit my previous one anymore.
Has anyone tried vacuum sealing a jar of ground weed? I'm assuming some of it would get sucked into the vacuum if it's too dry.

I haven’t, but with the inner lid on a ball jar, I don’t think much more than really fine could get through. I believe they mostly advise caution when using the vacuum with liquids with the sealable bags. There is a plastic “catch” that’s removable on the end of the portable vacuum sealer, that might indicate if you see any fines getting in?

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
The vacuum sealer has been a great idea. Once the initial chore of sealing all the jars was over, it's been easy to just reseal the jar I'm taking from. I'm much less likely to have 5 or 6 open jars.
Transferred everything in wide mouth jars to regular. My hand fits in wide mouth fine, but I use tongs so it doesn't matter. Having everything in regular helps with dealing with rings and seals, and as a quart jar empties, I can move to smaller jars.
All in all, I'm happy to vacuum seal.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
So - the issue of re-opening the vacuum sealed mason jars with the metal lids is a problem?

Haze Mister,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
So - the issue of re-opening the vacuum sealed mason jars with the metal lids is a problem?
My wife cannot open the wall-powered sealed jars as they are just too tight. That is why there is a special tool available to help pry open but it tends to ruin the lip of the lids.

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

CANtalk

I've been happy w/ mason jars and moisture packets in a dark cool dry basement for years now. Over those years, I've stored batches for months, 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 yrs & 4+ years even. This storage method works incredibly well at preserving terps & cannabinoids for the first year or so. After that, it gets easier to tell that the lighter molecular weight and less stable terpenes / cannabinoids have broken down. Smells change, colors change some & the f/x slowly change too. But there are still lots of other potent cannabinoids & THC in the old batches, even the old old stuff. Moving forward, I don't want to keep cannabis any longer than 11-12 months or so (and I don't grow so there's no volume problem). OTOH, I can see why growers & some here may go a little different in their storage. There's no correct single way to store cannabis for everyone.

Sorry for any spelling / grammar issues, am high & already fixed a bunch :razz:.

Have a great weekend

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Varden

I had a great experience with the hydrostones. Thank you for the tip, @VapePerson .

After reading the whole 10 pages, I realize most people here are looking on how to store their harvested weed. As someone who lives in a country where weed is illegal and can only buy what the dealers are selling at the moment, sometimes I can only get weed that is too dry or about to be too dry.

I had a bag of some weed that had gone too dry, so I did a little experiment. I put the weed in a glass container. Then I used a small net to keep the hydrostone (which had been in water for an hour previously) above the weed, close to the lid. The net with the hydrostone was held in place by the lid. Cheap and simple. Left it there for around 10 hours.

And it worked!!! Now my dry a.f. weed is mushy again and smells and tastes nicer. Even feels better in the vape.

I realize most people here are in a different situation, but for the ones like me that still depend on contraband and we get what we get, this trick is extremely cheap and surprisingly effective when dealing with dry herb.

Top Bottom