The CORRECT way to store your bud?

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Nothing like early morning paranoia.
Reread this thread, and realized all of my stash was rapidly decaying.
Ordered a handheld vacuum sealer. Don't want to get carried away and start vacuum sealing all of my food, so only jars currently at risk.
Going to start vaping more to try and beat the inevitable decay.
Going to vacuum seal to delay the decay.
Seems like there could/should be more I can do Right Now.
Feels urgent.

I really need to stop talking about vaping more, and just do it.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I mean containers with a one-way valve so you can create a vacuum inside with a little pump. And that will keep that seal without leaking!

This is to avoid cutting open vaccum bags and wasting plastic, and having to re-seal with the vacuum packer each time.​

I have tried a couple from Amazon but they leaked air in quite soon.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
wide mouth jars
I wish these were a little wider...cannot quite fit my hand in them, another inch or so would be great!
This is to avoid cutting open vaccum bags and wasting plastic, and having to re-seal with the vacuum packer each time.
That is why the jar sealer is so good,

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
You don’t get bored of vaping the same strain for 6 months at a time? I generally micro-dose as well, but I love trying out new flavors and strains. I don’t think I could do that.
Same here.... In the pre-legalization days there was not much of a choice except to buy a z at a time of whatever it happened to be.

I still buy an oz of lower priced everyday weed every 4 mos and then buy a few eighths of some top shelf strains along the way for special nights ... always have a nice stable of strains to tap into ... a humidor, glass jars and boveda do it for me 😎🌿

20230309-204642.jpg

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

hinglemccringleberry

Please excuse my kindergarten-level knowledge of mason jar sealing. Some will laugh at me for this post.

Today I learned (TIL) that the flat "sealing" portion of a 2-piece mason jar lid does NOT seal after its first use, no matter how tight you screw the lid back on the jar.
That being said, can I just purchase these replacements and continue screwing on my lids by hand, treating these as disposable items every time I open my stash jar? Without the need for any additional vac sealing equipment?

RustyOldNail

Please excuse my kindergarten-level knowledge of mason jar sealing. Some will laugh at me for this post.

Today I learned (TIL) that the flat "sealing" portion of a 2-piece mason jar lid does NOT seal after its first use, no matter how tight you screw the lid back on the jar.
That being said, can I just purchase these replacements and continue screwing on my lids by hand, treating these as disposable items every time I open my stash jar? Without the need for any additional vac sealing equipment?

My understanding is, for actual “canning” of foods, they recommend using new lids.
If using a vacuum sealer, as I’m doing, I just use my fingers and nails to remove the lids, and they seal fine, if you use a can opener they can bend the thin metal, and then won’t seal. If you are not using a vacuum, they should come off easy, and still be perfectly flat.
If you don’t plan on using a vacuum, then consider buying these type of caps:

LesPlenty

Company Rep

RustyOldNail

I use a Foodsaver portable but they do not seem to be available and may have been replaced.

I covered that in my POST #122

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Got a battery operated jar sealer thingy.
Now I have to figure out if it's a good idea to open jars just to seal them, and if I should seal each time I take bud out. Most jars won't need to be opened for months, as I'm slacking on consumption. Not sure what the plan was when I ordered this, as I wasn't slacking in that moment.

Got a battery operated jar sealer thingy.
Now I have to figure out if it's a good idea to open jars just to seal them, and if I should seal each time I take bud out. Most jars won't need to be opened for months, as I'm slacking on consumption. Not sure what the plan was when I ordered this, as I wasn't slacking in that moment.
I have a handful of jars that I pull from on a daily basis and I don't re-vac those after each opening. However, anything that is going to be unused or unopened for over a week or so, gets vac'd.

After I dry my harvest, I cure it in jars for about four weeks. During that time I am burping almost daily and I don't vac and re-vac during that time. After it is properly cured (actually, I call that a pre-cure), it goes into vacuum until I need it.

Recently, I tried vac sealing some fresh dried and I am going to let it cure in a vacuum without burping. Not sure how that's going to work out but I'll let ya know. :)

Good luck.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
My best recollection is that I meant to vacuum seal the longer term jars. Maybe next harvest, maybe when the dog dies. I'd be awfully impressed with myself and my ambition if I ever had the intention of vacuum sealing the jars I was filling the smaller jars from. Kind of thought I'd grow into that step, or that using the vacuum sealer might be Super Fun, and I'd start running around the house reasealing jars, or at least get in the refrigerator and reseal the jams and preserves. That would be the best case scenario, that it was fun and I'd want to reseal jam, and then, of course, it would be a fun thing to do and I'd want to reseal stash jars, now and forever. Right now, it looks suspiciously like I bought a small kitchen appliance, and they are never, ever, ever, as much fun as they look, and I say that loving my blender and stand mixer quite a bit. This thing has 'chore' written all over it.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I covered that in my POST #122
I thought the OG was just replaced with the auto-shutoff inside it from your earlier post...not the whole unit with something unrecognizable.:2c:
should seal each time I take bud out.
I don't, just the long-term stuff.
I used to use the quart mason jars for burping after drying but found burping 30 odd jars becomes a hassle and now use a 22ltr Cvault for burping to cure then I vac seal etc for the long term into quart jars.
I noticed that the Boost jar I put aside is now 12 months old...might be time to try it?

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I thought the OG was just replaced with the auto-shutoff inside it from your earlier post...not the whole unit with something unrecognizable.:2c:

I don't, just the long-term stuff.
I used to use the quart mason jars for burping after drying but found burping 30 odd jars becomes a hassle and now use a 22ltr Cvault for burping to cure then I vac seal etc for the long term into quart jars.
I noticed that the Boost jar I put aside is now 12 months old...might be time to try it?
Thank you, @LesPlenty .
I sealed a jar, and it looks like this will be a good idea. There are just a lot of jars, and I am overwhelmed at the moment. It's time to crack seeds and get this year's grow started, and I'm having to put my two elderly dogs down this week, and can't focus for anything.
In normal life, I would have at least started on the jars, but I seem to be in an alternate
space at the moment, and wonder how I'm going to get through it all. There are a lot of jars here.
Would there be any benefit to vacuum sealing jars from year before last? I keep meaning to press the older stuff out, but maybe this would allow me to put that off a bit. Not that the vacuum sealing the older jars won't also be put off, I just wonder how late is too late.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I'm having to put my two elderly dogs down this week, and can't focus for anything.
Oh bugger, that is just awful...so sorry to hear.
Would there be any benefit to vacuum sealing jars from year before last?
If it still going to be a while before you will use the herbs, I would vac seal them.
what is the purpose of "burping"?
After drying there will still be the chlorophyll in the herb that will smell 'weird' but after a dozen or so burps (simply open the jars for a minute or 2 with a quick fan with a sheet of paper etc) over 7 days then once a week until the smell is more fruity/sugary than chemical before vac sealing and O2 scrubbing for long term storage. This just makes the herb smoother from my experiments.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Burping may be needed if the flower in the jar still has slightly higher than ideal moisture content. It's meant to help stabilize the humidity and avoid molds, etc.

Note: depending on how you dry the flower prior to jarring, burping may not be required.
I've burped because I was taught to burp. This year, I heard that if you dried and cured correctly, you don't need to burp. At this point, I'd dried, cured and jarred. Delimma time. Do I burp, pointlessly letting in more air, or do I not burp, and end up with moldy weed that taste like grass clippings?
These are growth moments, character building moments.
What are my values?
What are best practices?
How do I live those values and practices in relation to jarring weed?
Turns out, my best self is a waffler. I burped half, and didn't burp half, but I might have "checked on" a few jars just in case.
So, we shall see.

Top Bottom