• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The CORRECT way to store your bud?

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I've got a bunch of those cards laying around and the are all still pink - not sure I've ever seen one go blue in or out of a jar. I've also seen boost packs leave a white hazy film on some jars. It wipes right off - but I don't know what it is and I've ceased using boost packs in my jars.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I 'm not sure if I mentioned it but I scored some primo bud at the beginning of the summer and vaccum packed it with no moisture pack and just left it in the house through the 3 hot summer months- with no AC. Temperatures in the high 20s/ low 30s (Celsius) most of this time.

When i opened the bag, it seemed better than how it was when I bought it. It had retained all the flavour but some small amount of fermentation had taken place as it was darker green and could be easily crumbled like fresh bread with no need for a grinder... yum. I will be trying this again!

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
I 'm not sure if I mentioned it but I scored some primo bud at the beginning of the summer and vaccum packed it with no moisture pack and just left it in the house through the 3 hot summer months- with no AC. Temperatures in the high 20s/ low 30s (Celsius) most of this time.

When i opened the bag, it seemed better than how it was when I bought it. It had retained all the flavour but some small amount of fermentation had taken place as it was darker green and could be easily crumbled like fresh bread with no need for a grinder... yum. I will be trying this again!
You might want to check into Malawi Style Cob Curing. What you did is pretty close to it. And, yeah, it's actually fermenting the pot.

The taste is amazing and it is said that it can be stored super long like that with minimal loss and even some gain in terms of flavor and smell. I just finished first ferment on a cob and it's amazing. One cob smells exactly like beef jerkey. A little shocking at first but really a wonderful peppery smell.

There's a 900 page 5 year thread about it at ICMag.

Not super wet. I usually cob a day or 2 before I would normally jar. And, the amount of moisture will determine the amount of ferment. I put one in too wet and it came out black. Tasted great but looked like a dog turd. LOL

Since they all look like dog turds LOL I started using my puck press to make the cob instead of sushi rolling it. Now, they look like hash instead of doggie poo poo. LOL

Since I am still experimenting I am using larf and popcorn buds. However, many of the veterans to this use the best buds to do it. Apparently one of the guys is actually from Africa and grew up doing it this way. A lot of them put it in their cheek like chewing tobacco. I hear the buzz is amazing.

Sweat for 24 hrs at 105F and then a week at 85F. All while vacuum sealed to preclude mold. After the week ferment, some guys in that thread have 2 and 3 year old cobs that they claim just keep getting better with age. Like fine wine.

Personally, I have my doubts. LOL However, I am trying it so I know for sure. I'll update this thread in 2 or 3 years and let you know. LOL

Here are a couple of my recent attempts. Nice color. Aroma is amazing.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

you're in the USA, get yourself some Kush Mintz, not Wet Mintz
USA genetics = love

@Hackerman seriously tho - be careful. because, it has Aroma because of the h2o percentage too I think. the water like terpenes, wants to evaporate from your buds to the air, to balance the differences of the h2o content in each side. so it takes terpenes with it, but mold likes wet buds. and your buds look wet.
so be careful, and keep it up. i saw some good buds u made AFAIRemember
99% of the times if it doesn't look good, it ain't good. with buds, i think

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

hinglemccringleberry

Everytime I mess around with moisture packs (different manufacturers and moisture levels) it makes my weed crap. Produces less vapour and has less flavour.

I just don't bother anymore.
^I'm with this guy.

And then I found this reddit post:

"There is a equilibrium point that no one is mentioning here. Once any humidity pack/jar humidity starts to go below its median point - the humidity pack will start to scavenge moisture like a desiccant. Essentially, if you leave the integra/boveda in a jar too long it will stop providing moisture and start drawing it back out of the plant material - this is where rapid terpene degradation starts to occur. The same thing happens with Xikar packs in a cigar humidor, this is why it’s important to change them out often, recharge and burp your jars. I’ve often found that it’s useful to temporarily get your humidity up to spec with humidipaks, remove them to a storage vessel and just burp your jars as necessary. I’ve got flower that’s over a year old in jars kept this way that still tastes fresh and continues to evolve in small ways due to proper long term curing. Moderation is key."

No wonder my beautiful WNC hemp is losing its flavor so fast, I've been throwing in an old Integra pack in my jar with each newly purchased bag, assuming that what I'm doing is the right thing....in reality I had no fucking clue the damage I was doing. Until now.

RedZep

^I'm with this guy.

And then I found this reddit post:

"There is a equilibrium point that no one is mentioning here. Once any humidity pack/jar humidity starts to go below its median point - the humidity pack will start to scavenge moisture like a desiccant. Essentially, if you leave the integra/boveda in a jar too long it will stop providing moisture and start drawing it back out of the plant material - this is where rapid terpene degradation starts to occur. The same thing happens with Xikar packs in a cigar humidor, this is why it’s important to change them out often, recharge and burp your jars. I’ve often found that it’s useful to temporarily get your humidity up to spec with humidipaks, remove them to a storage vessel and just burp your jars as necessary. I’ve got flower that’s over a year old in jars kept this way that still tastes fresh and continues to evolve in small ways due to proper long term curing. Moderation is key."

No wonder my beautiful WNC hemp is losing its flavor so fast, I've been throwing in an old Integra pack in my jar with each newly purchased bag, assuming that what I'm doing is the right thing....in reality I had no fucking clue the damage I was doing. Until now.
Damn. You know what hurts? I'm into speciality Chinese teas. I've ruined a few high price aged puer cakes this way as well. I have one that used to taste like spices, tobacco and leather, and now it tastes like nothing.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@RustyOldNail How's vacuum sealer life? Is it practical for short term/desktop herb storage as well? Or too slow/tedious for that?

Love it. On Ball jars I run the mini vac twice, then I hear the canning insert pop. Tested for several weeks, solid seal. Obviously has many uses besides flower freshness, as it works great with the bags they sell, though for flower, GLASS is the best.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
You might want to check into Malawi Style Cob Curing. What you did is pretty close to it. And, yeah, it's actually fermenting the pot.

The taste is amazing and it is said that it can be stored super long like that with minimal loss and even some gain in terms of flavor and smell. I just finished first ferment on a cob and it's amazing. One cob smells exactly like beef jerkey. A little shocking at first but really a wonderful peppery smell.

There's a 900 page 5 year thread about it at ICMag.
Yeah, it is definitely the way forward and kids will eventually catch on to it!​
I believe most will prefer this: dry for 5 days or so, sweat in vacuum for 24h, let breathe and dry normally, and then vacuum but NOT compress the weed like in the full cob technique. After curing in vaccum and warm temps for x months, It comes out fluffy and crumbles without a grinder but is still moist.... I only used a very light compression when i vacuumed it.​
Compression definitely degrades it some- but makes it keep fresh for longer after opening the bag.​
As for mold- this is why vacuuming is better than the traditional Malawi method- molds can't grow in a vacuum...​

Last edited:
Haze Mister,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@RustyOldNail Are you still happy with your bluetooth hygrometers? I know you mentioned you have to recalibrate them pretty often.

These are the best options in my opinion, as you can see the humidity in every container remotely. I keep them in my SS CVaults, and glass Cannastores. To test and adjust up/down, when new, then maybe once a year, just place in sealed mason jar with 1-2 Boveda 62% packs, within the “Govee” app, you can then set the offset up or down to 62%. I recently thought a few were off, as they read over 62%, but after testing, realized the new batch of flower was just moist. Like many humidity sensors accuracy is not perfect, in this case, they advertise +/- 3% RH.

FROM AMAZON PRODUCT PAGE:

• Smart App Control: Easily monitor temperature and humidity in real-time on the app. 262ft wireless bluetooth connecting distance (no obstacles) allows you to quickly get data remotely from anywhere in your home. (Not WiFi Version)
  • Accuracy: With a built-in Swiss-made sensor, the temperature is accurate to ±0.54°F and humidity is ±3%RH. Enjoy precise data from the hygrometer thermometer every 2 seconds.
  • Data Storage & Export: Featuring 20-day on-board data storage, you can get recent temp & humidity records through curve graph. Press "Export Data as CSV" on the app to export the last 2 years' data to your phone.
  • Mini Compact Size: With a smaller & compact design, this space-saving device is lightweight and portable. And you can place it at multiple locations by the hanging hole.
  • Prompt Alert Notification: Set preset temp and humidity ranges with the Govee Home App, and if levels fall out of that range, you'll receive a notification instantly.

GoldenBud

I buy an ounce at a time and stuff it all into 3 Basix 2 oz glass jars. Lasts me 6 to 7 months and I've never needed anything fancier than that. Haven't noticed any degradation in quality.
nobody needs anything if your buds are well dried, people need stuff when their weed is not 100% right (having weed which has more or less than 6 to 12 percentage of water in their weed, the right range for h2o in your weed is 6%-12%)
as long as you've got well dried weed, you don't need anything. maybe just a Bodeva 62% pack, nothing like wet-stones or something.

this thread basically is for people who got too much wet weed or too much dry (too much dry weed will crumble in a weird way, too wet weed will leave traces in the upper plate of the BCG grinder)

also, "wet weed" will give you hotspot in your vape sooner than well dried weed.

Nog

I buy an ounce at a time and stuff it all into 3 Basix 2 oz glass jars. Lasts me 6 to 7 months and I've never needed anything fancier than that. Haven't noticed any degradation in quality.
You don’t get bored of vaping the same strain for 6 months at a time? I generally micro-dose as well, but I love trying out new flavors and strains. I don’t think I could do that.

Okla68

You don’t get bored of vaping the same strain for 6 months at a time? I generally micro-dose as well, but I love trying out new flavors and strains. I don’t think I could do that.
I know i do...growing my own, ill definitely get Bored with the same strain all the time !

Top Bottom