The CORRECT way to store your bud?

zeusjames

I went for one of the handheld manual vacuum sealers for jars ($17 all in) and it has been working great making tight seals after about 12 pumps.
That's what I use and it works great.

That is why there is a special tool available to help pry open but it tends to ruin the lip of the lids.
I use this jar opener to remove the vacuum sealed lids from the mason jars. It has a wide contact area and works well except for the strongest vacuum seals and even then I can remove the lid without damaging it. It is not designed for this specific use but it works fine.

When I want to adjust the humidity I place the weed in a 2 gallon Anchor Hocking glass jar and place a small open jar of water inside.

zeusjames

When I want to adjust the humidity I place the weed in a 2 gallon Anchor Hocking glass jar and place a small open jar of water inside.
And when I want to decrease the humidity I place an open jar with granular diatomaceous earth (Autozone Floor Dry) pre dried in the microwave.

zeusjames,
Reactions: LesPlenty
I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps) and a raw hydrostone (A simple terracotta disc) soked 10 seconds from dry. Josh from RAW talked about this method, so I can't take the credit. It... does something to the bud. Something tremendous. I put a barrier, usually the humidity pack's plastic sleeve, between the stone and the boost pack, which is in yet another plastic sleeve (otherwise the humidity pack gets really wet and the stone really dry). They self-regulate eachother, but that's not the important part.

The important part is that the jars seem to stay at the exact perfect humidity level but the buds get STICKY AF and FLUFFY AF. I do not understand it. I don't pretend to understand it. I just do it because: you could keep bud with any humidity pack for 1 month in perfect storage and it won't do what this can do in 24 hours. Personally I find the end vape is much more pleasant and smooth. I'd love to get more thoughts on this method because nobody is talking about this and I can't live without it.

Video for those inclined:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
oxi-clean-but-wait-theres-more.gif

I miss Billy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-7061040001-Humidity-Control-Holders/dp/B084DX8FK4 See these? Yeah, I don't like keeping my humidity packs right against my bud. I don't care what anyone says, I swear they steal terps. I've tasted it, I've smelled it take lab tested 35% brownie scout that I drove 6 hours for into pitiful, almost vaporless crap. Boost is better about this but I still don't want them touching. These little baskets solve that, but honestly, I wish someone would make a 3d printed version where you could just slip a hydrostone and a humidity pack in vertically, or even just make a model of these so I wouldn't have to pay the likely 300%+ markup on these baskets or be forced to purchase the humidity packs.
I keep my bud in a dark, airtight container called herb guard. They're very heavy duty glass I believe with smell proof lids and they're like dark purple to keep light out. I've always read that bóveda packs steal terps but I've never seen any evidence for this. Can anyone speak to the rationale behind them degrading terps?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Can anyone speak to the rationale behind them degrading terps?

It’s been debated many times in this very thread. No scientific proof, just personal observations. Bovida packs don’t seem to bother cigar connoisseurs, some cigars cost as much as an ounce of weed. Experiment, and decide for yourself, the only opinion that matters…

Old Moderate

So I’ve been vacuuming bud in the small half-pint jars. Appear to get a good seal (it is hard to pull off with my fingernails) and I have about 12 of them in a box. Trouble is that there is always a bit of a smell still in the box. Not such a big deal but does that mean the seals are not as good as I think? Could the terps be coming through the metal? Anyone else find vacuum sealing not to remove all smell? Maybe it is just on the outside of the jars? Would love some crowd sourced info before I try to do more tests. Thanks.

Varden

Maybe it is just on the outside of the jars? Would love some crowd sourced info before I try to do more tests
If you really want to be anal about it, after you have created the vacuum in the loaded jars, you could clean them with iso to remove any smell outside. If after a while you still feel the smell, it means it is coming from the inside. If no smell, you are good.

RCCtools

Manufacturer
I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps) and a raw hydrostone (A simple terracotta disc) soked 10 seconds from dry. Josh from RAW talked about this method, so I can't take the credit. It... does something to the bud. Something tremendous. I put a barrier, usually the humidity pack's plastic sleeve, between the stone and the boost pack, which is in yet another plastic sleeve (otherwise the humidity pack gets really wet and the stone really dry). They self-regulate eachother, but that's not the important part.

The important part is that the jars seem to stay at the exact perfect humidity level but the buds get STICKY AF and FLUFFY AF. I do not understand it. I don't pretend to understand it. I just do it because: you could keep bud with any humidity pack for 1 month in perfect storage and it won't do what this can do in 24 hours. Personally I find the end vape is much more pleasant and smooth. I'd love to get more thoughts on this method because nobody is talking about this and I can't live without it.

Video for those inclined:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
oxi-clean-but-wait-theres-more.gif

I miss Billy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-7061040001-Humidity-Control-Holders/dp/B084DX8FK4 See these? Yeah, I don't like keeping my humidity packs right against my bud. I don't care what anyone says, I swear they steal terps. I've tasted it, I've smelled it take lab tested 35% brownie scout that I drove 6 hours for into pitiful, almost vaporless crap. Boost is better about this but I still don't want them touching. These little baskets solve that, but honestly, I wish someone would make a 3d printed version where you could just slip a hydrostone and a humidity pack in vertically, or even just make a model of these so I wouldn't have to pay the likely 300%+ markup on these baskets or be forced to purchase the humidity packs.
So you put the humidity pack in the basket, and then in the jar? The video says it's private. Maybe I can help you out with a 3D print and/or file.

RCCtools,

RCCtools

Manufacturer
CVAULT is where I got the idea from separation at the lid, actually! I dislike Cvaults for the price:herb-stored ratio though. They're simple herbal storage containers bought in bulk with a little stainless steel holder welded on for pennies on the dollar, then upcharged like 500%
I bet a 3D printed holder could be made fairly easily to attach on the bottom of a glass mason jar. It would either need to be glued (gorilla glue? I don't think it would impart a smell) or screwed onto the lid. The only drawback then compared to a CVAULT would be that light can get in, but if an amber mason jar or painted jar could be sourced, that should take care of that part.

RCCtools,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
It’s been debated many times in this very thread. No scientific proof, just personal observations. Bovida packs don’t seem to bother cigar connoisseurs, some cigars cost as much as an ounce of weed. Experiment, and decide for yourself, the only opinion that matters…

I think time is a fairly important metric as well. I usually put one size 4 62% per 3.5g in my jars, my buds are always squishy with a full bouquet of terps. But I only get already cured dispo stock, and I don’t store anything longer than about a month. It seems reasonable to me that if I put them in the jar and didn’t look at it again for a year the results may vary.

RustyOldNail

I think time is a fairly important metric as well. I usually put one size 4 62% per 3.5g in my jars, my buds are always squishy with a full bouquet of terps. But I only get already cured dispo stock, and I don’t store anything longer than about a month. It seems reasonable to me that if I put them in the jar and didn’t look at it again for a year the results may vary.

I have some strains stored over 1.5 years, taste good to me…

Madtater

I currently have about 800 or so cigars in my humidors.

For my main humidor, i use heartfelt beads, but ALL of my other humidors and tupperdors have bovida packs in them.

I can tell you from experience, that after a while, bovida packs will start to smell like the humidor. Now….every humidor smells different, but there is more going on in a humidor than just glass and flower. There is also cedar to contend with, which adds its own very distinct smell into the mix.

Will the terps start to seep i to the bovida pack? MAYBE, but i would imagine people are using one tiny pack per one strain…not 600 different cigars made from different leaves. I highly doubt taste or smell would be affected for use with flower. And i would imagine people are not mixing strains in one container, like cigars are stored.

You can reconstitute the packs as well, but if it were me, i would toss that little fucker when the strain is gone. I wouldn’t want to use it with a different strain, i wouldn’t want to mix smells. The small ones are cheap anyway, the bigger ones are WAY more pricy.

I am by no means a bud connoisseur. Maybe someone that is can tell the difference, but I can’t.

DrJynx86

I'm extremely lucky my dad has an off-grid property built from adobe around 1930, and lo and behold, every higrometer I have inside reads 62-63% and might go as low as 60% on a very dry day and to 70% on a very rainy week.

I'm thinking humidors made from adobe bricks might be an amazing product, I'm currently researching about how to make my own mixture. Maybe just placing a brick inside the humidor will work as a boveda replacement.

RustyOldNail

My Govee Bluetooth humidity monitor gave me a notification WARNING (set low warning to 58%), in one of my containers.
I opened and felt it, I date them when I use them new, this on was January, but the ODD thing was it was NOT dry and hard like every other one I ever seen, when they are finished!
I tested it in an empty Ball jar, in 3 days never got over 55%, but still soft and jelly like a new one. Tossed and the replacement is fine.
First time I’ve ever experienced that….

DrJynx86

So I’ve been vacuuming bud in the small half-pint jars. Appear to get a good seal (it is hard to pull off with my fingernails) and I have about 12 of them in a box. Trouble is that there is always a bit of a smell still in the box. Not such a big deal but does that mean the seals are not as good as I think? Could the terps be coming through the metal? Anyone else find vacuum sealing not to remove all smell? Maybe it is just on the outside of the jars? Would love some crowd sourced info before I try to do more tests. Thanks.
If water boils at a very low temperature on vacuum, does this mean that cannabinoids will boil/evaporate at a lower temperature when vacuuming the containers?

DrJynx86,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
My Govee Bluetooth humidity monitor gave me a notification WARNING (set low warning to 58%), in one of my containers.
I opened and felt it, I date them when I use them new, this on was January, but the ODD thing was it was NOT dry and hard like every other one I ever seen, when they are finished!
I tested it in an empty Ball jar, in 3 days never got over 55%, but still soft and jelly like a new one. Tossed and the replacement is fine.
First time I’ve ever experienced that….
Did that jar contain extra dry bud that may have sucked it to 'just before dry & crunchy'?

Old Moderate

If water boils at a very low temperature on vacuum, does this mean that cannabinoids will boil/evaporate at a lower temperature when vacuuming the containers?
The boiling point of cannabinoids at room temp (called the normal boiling point) is higher than combustion of the plant material (predicted at 425C), the often circulated vaporization temperature chart (THC like 150C or something) is actually boiling point predicted at ultra-low vacuum (NOT at atmospheric pressure, or even the ~80% vacuum we can achieve with our standard pumps), so we are no where close to that. But, instead headspace cannabinoid concentrations will be governed by evaporation and vapor pressure. This is almost entirely independent of total pressure, so no real difference in the amount of terps or cannabinoids in the gas phases in the vacuumed jars.

DrJynx86

The boiling point of cannabinoids at room temp (called the normal boiling point) is higher than combustion of the plant material (predicted at 425C), the often circulated vaporization temperature chart (THC like 150C or something) is actually boiling point predicted at ultra-low vacuum (NOT at atmospheric pressure, or even the ~80% vacuum we can achieve with our standard pumps), so we are no where close to that. But, instead headspace cannabinoid concentrations will be governed by evaporation and vapor pressure. This is almost entirely independent of total pressure, so no real difference in the amount of terps or cannabinoids in the gas phases in the vacuumed jars.
Thank you! A couple of weeks ago I had the thought of this and then completely forgot about until I read that comment, and your reply is perfect and also guides me to read a little more in depth about it :D

Here are some personal tips for storing bud:
  1. Use airtight containers: Store your cannabis in airtight containers to prevent air and moisture from degrading the quality of the bud. Mason jars, vacuum-sealed bags, and other airtight containers are all good options.
  2. Keep it in a cool, dark place: Cannabis should be stored in a cool, dark place to prevent it from being exposed to light and heat, which can degrade the THC and other cannabinoids. A closet, cabinet, or drawer is a good place to store your cannabis.
  3. Avoid storing in the fridge or freezer: While it may seem like a good idea to store cannabis in the fridge or freezer to keep it fresh, this can actually cause the trichomes to become brittle and break off, reducing the quality of the bud.
  4. Don't store with other strong-smelling items: Cannabis can absorb the flavors and aromas of other items, so it's best to store it separately from other strong-smelling items like spices, perfumes, or cleaning products.
  5. Use humidity control packs: Humidity control packs can help to regulate the moisture levels in your storage container, keeping the cannabis at the optimal humidity level to prevent it from drying out or becoming too moist.

tokenknifeguy

I hate those humidity packs and toss them in the trash as soon as I find them in my bud. I feel like they do more harm than good like stealing terps away. It seems like when I was using them, my jars never smelled as good. I've seen people on reddit mentioning about cutting those things up and the inside smelling like weed. So it seems right with my experiences using them. If my bud is too dry, I'd rather use a 'hydro stone' or something similar to rehydrate it some.

Raskolnikov

Kilner jars with the pop top and boveda pack. Store in the dark. Been using over 20 years and they are amazing. Boveda can even rehydrate your bud if you get the higher % levels.

If your looking for something for grow amounts, the Cvault is excellent too. My friend is one of the largest online flower and hash vendors and he cures all his bud in Cvaults and when I grew I used them too.

I have a plate of Anonymuz Farms curing at my holiday home and can't wait to get in about it next week. Best hash producers in the world imo.

Top Bottom