The CORRECT way to store your bud?

GratefulDread

Lots of great info in here, thanks!
I think I'm going to give vacuum sealing a go.
Up until now, I've put little effort into storing herb long term. I usually end up buying smaller amounts and spending more money in the end.
This should pay for itself if I start feeling more comfortable buying large amounts at a time.

Edit: @RustyOldNail with the information you provided in mind, would you use boveda packs initially, to get it to the moisture level you want, and then vac-seal?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Up until now, I've put little effort into storing herb long term. I usually end up buying smaller amounts and spending more money in the end.
This should pay for itself if I start feeling more comfortable buying large amounts at a time.

Edit: @RustyOldNail with the information you provided in mind, would you use boveda packs initially, to get it to the moisture level you want, and then vac-seal?

I keep googling, but seem to find conflicting information on the topic of using Boveda packs if one is using a vacuum seal.

I tend to believe that since “most” of the air is removed with these types of FreshSaver vacuums and the Ball Jar attachment, that I agree with some of the online opinions, that a humidity pack, wouldn’t have much effect. And if that is TRUE?, does that mean that whatever the humidity level is when you vacuum seal, stays the same, until you seal it again?

Some advise using adding oxygen packs inside a vacuum sealed jar, and I would do that if I were going for really long term storage, as I don’t believe the FreshSaver handheld vacuums get all the air out of the Ball jar.

So far all my strains are in CVault airtight containers with Boveda 62% packs and a Govee Bluetooth wireless humidity sensor.
I was only planning on using the little vacuum on some small Ball jars, on flower I open and use more often. I guess adding a Boveda pack couldn’t hurt, since I’ll open these more often. I’m going to do a test when I get the vacuum I linked to a few posts up, I’ll see if the vacuum affects the humidity in an empty Ball jar with and without a Boveda pack, read with humidity sensor inside too. Not sure I’ll learn much.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I assume a wall powered sealer MIGHT have more suction power then a battery operated hand held unit
The lids are harder to get off when sucked by the wall-powered unit.
I don’t believe the FreshSaver handheld vacuums get all the air out of the Ball jar.
I also use O2 scrubber satchels with my Boveda in vac sealed Mason jars long term. I also thought the Boveda was now overkill but I have dozens of them so may as well use them as they will be doing something when I eventually open a jar as I don't consume the whole quart jar in a day.:2c:

RedZep

I keep googling, but seem to find conflicting information on the topic of using Boveda packs if one is using a vacuum seal.

I tend to believe that since “most” of the air is removed with these types of FreshSaver vacuums and the Ball Jar attachment, that I agree with some of the online opinions, that a humidity pack, wouldn’t have much effect. And if that is TRUE?, does that mean that whatever the humidity level is when you vacuum seal, stays the same, until you seal it again?

Some advise using adding oxygen packs inside a vacuum sealed jar, and I would do that if I were going for really long term storage, as I don’t believe the FreshSaver handheld vacuums get all the air out of the Ball jar.

So far all my strains are in CVault airtight containers with Boveda 62% packs and a Govee Bluetooth wireless humidity sensor.
I was only planning on using the little vacuum on some small Ball jars, on flower I open and use more often. I guess adding a Boveda pack couldn’t hurt, since I’ll open these more often. I’m going to do a test when I get the vacuum I linked to a few posts up, I’ll see if the vacuum affects the humidity in an empty Ball jar with and without a Boveda pack, read with humidity sensor inside too. Not sure I’ll learn much.
I don't know of this is valuable, but I used a CBD flower vendor here in the UK for a few years, and their flower was top notch.

They recently started vacuum sealing the packages with a mini humidity pack, and the flower just doesn't vape properly anymore. Last 3 orders have been duds be ause of this, and I have stopped.ordering from them.

It's like they do a perfect cure, then ship it in a way that essentially undoes the curing process somehow. So frustrating.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
That makes sense, more power.
Hopefully, the little handheld unit will be good enough for my short term storage in Ball jars. I’ll run some tests, then decide if a humidity pack (Boveda) is worth bothering with, on jars I’m opening more often.
If you're opening a jar constantly, the humidity is going to fluctuate so I think humidity packs are in there stride there. That said, for me: I trust a humidity pack (or with a hydrostone) as the method to get me to the proper RH before I'd vacuum seal.

RustyOldNail

If you're opening a jar constantly, the humidity is going to fluctuate so I think humidity packs are in there stride there. That said, for me: I trust a humidity pack (or with a hydrostone) as the method to get me to the proper RH before I'd vacuum seal.

That’s what I’m thinking, humidity packs don’t seem to make much sense with a vacuum sealed jar meant for long term storage, as there would be no oxygen for the pack to work in either direction. BUT, from what I’ve been researching, since I’ve never owed any vacuum sealer, that even the machine sealers don’t remove all the oxygen, and of course the vacuum never reaches “0”, otherwise a glass jar, unlike laboratory equipment, would shatter. So folks add the oxygen absorber packs to remove even more. There is also the proper practice of loading the jar close to full, to reduce the starting oxygen level. This would not be true if I were going through a single jar, the contents decreasing each time.

As I’m trying this system for Ball jars that I may open in a few days or a week, I’ll leave a #8 Bovida pack in the jar just in case.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
the pack to work in either direction. BUT, from what I’ve been researching, since I’ve never owed any vacuum sealer, that even the machine sealers don’t remove all the oxygen, and of course the vacuum never reaches “0”, otherwise a glass jar, unlike laboratory equipment, would shatter.
1. The weed holds onto moisture and lets some loose to the air over time--dropping the weight when the vacuum is broken. I've experienced this personally.
2. Correct. The vacuum isn't perfect. Even giant concrete buildings made to be vacuums aren't perfect. There's a granularity to it.
3. Oxygen absorber packs?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
3. Oxygen absorber packs?
I used these last time (small qty from somewhere),

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
The more experience I have with them, I would NEVER recommend RAW stones for long term storage. Shit introduces way too much moisture.

I may use one every now and then for introducing humidity to buds for a press, but that is the only scenario for me. YMMV.

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Shit introduces way too much moisture.
I may use one every now and then for introducing humidity to buds for a press, but that is the only scenario for me.
Agree they can be dangerously heavy handed; I suffered some mold-related losses after introducing them.

At the same time the product *was* nicer. Better smelling for certain.

A full disc is way too big for a small container; maybe ok in a full quart mason (~1l) but im trialling quarters/thirds in smaller jars. The discs break easily but that's dusty and so the pieces should be washed before use.

I also made the mistake of fully hydrating my control packs (integra for the most part) and *then* introducing the Raw discs to the containers. As they were already at capacity there was zero capability to *lower* humidity. Hindsight: Duh.

Best thought of imo as an additional in-container reservoir and consequently useful where that feature is needed.

RustyOldNail

The more experience I have with them, I would NEVER recommend RAW stones for long term storage. Shit introduces way too much moisture.

I may use one every now and then for introducing humidity to buds for a press, but that is the only scenario for me. YMMV.

Since they were cheap, it was an easy new toy to buy. But the last few years of learning and playing with humidity control and instruments to accurately measure it, I just knew what the results might be. I think it’s great you folks took you time to follow up. With too much else going on, I’m grateful I didn’t get involved in any additional experiments. Good job guys/gals/?….

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Agree they can be dangerously heavy handed; I suffered some mold-related losses after introducing them.

At the same time the product *was* nicer. Better smelling for certain.

A full disc is way too big for a small container; maybe ok in a full quart mason (~1l) but im trialling quarters/thirds in smaller jars. The discs break easily but that's dusty and so the pieces should be washed before use.

I also made the mistake of fully hydrating my control packs (integra for the most part) and *then* introducing the Raw discs to the containers. As they were already at capacity there was zero capability to *lower* humidity. Hindsight: Duh.

Best thought of imo as an additional in-container reservoir and consequently useful where that feature is needed.
Yeah, that's the thing. You need to balance the terracotta with the bud and the leaf. If you aren't a fan, give it a go only with a humidity pack and smaller terracotta. Keep the stone and the pack separated. If you do it right, the herb retains more moisture, the pack doesnt get overwhelmed, and the stone ends up sucking in excess and it sort of balances out.

Letting the stone dry out for a bit can be good too.

VapePerson,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

VapeStoreZA

SA's largest selection of dry herb Vaporizers
Retailer

hey there from vapestore, would be best to rehydrate your buds before vacuum sealing them, will keep humidity levels better for long term after sealing

Old Moderate

For long term storage (talking years) I’m all about the freezer in small boxes inside sealed freezer bags. I just pulled out some that must be over 10yrs old (it got lost in there) and still smelled strong and had excellent potency. My technique is to be gentle when pulling it out and then let it come to room temp before grinding or messing with it at all. In material that is younger (<3yrs) I really see little change with time and it is always tastes great. Probably not an ideal method but if access is inconsistent, it works wonderfully. Yes, some tricombs likely break but not nearly as much as you’d think cause your not shaking it or anything. I’d love it if someone with better access could test this against more standard recommended storage techniques. I’ve been using it for…gosh, I guess like 25 yrs.

Knewt

I thought I recently read of a scientific study that compared different storage methods, and the frozen weed came out as the least changed over time. Full disclosure, I do vape a lot so it’s possible that my memory is shit.

pop22

Vacuum sealed weed needs to be dry, or anaerobic bacteria will destroy your weed. You'll open the jar and it will smell like cat piss! Made that mistake once!
And Bovedas, etc will do nothing in a vacuum sealed jar, there is zero humidity in a vacuum! Also, Bovedas, etc, humidify the air not the weed, as the RH of the air rises the bud then absorbs moister until every thing in the jar equalizes.. And why would you want to add oxygen to a jar you just created a vacuum in? Also, Oxygen creates free radicals, which in turn break down the compounds in your bud.

Old Moderate

I thought I recently read of a scientific study that compared different storage methods, and the frozen weed came out as the least changed over time. Full disclosure, I do vape a lot so it’s possible that my memory is shit.
I’d like to see that study or even find someone who’s compared freezing to other methods side by side. To be sure, I think from-frozen does appear less fragrant than fresh, but I’ve never done a side-by-side and the effects appear the same to me. If I lived somewhere with better access I’m not sure I’d ever freeze it, or if I was only storing less than 1yr. But, right now that’s not my scene so I future proof by freezing and I also like to have multiple strains on hand. Maybe this summer I’ll come into some fresh buds and perform a test using some of the great hydration methods discussed here and report back…or someone else could beat me to it.

RustyOldNail

Vacuum sealed weed needs to be dry, or anaerobic bacteria will destroy your weed. You'll open the jar and it will smell like cat piss! Made that mistake once!
And Bovedas, etc will do nothing in a vacuum sealed jar, there is zero humidity in a vacuum! Also, Bovedas, etc, humidify the air not the weed, as the RH of the air rises the bud then absorbs moister until every thing in the jar equalizes.. And why would you want to add oxygen to a jar you just created a vacuum in? Also, Oxygen creates free radicals, which in turn break down the compounds in your bud.

I believe if the vacuum was very strong, the Boveda packs may not have much effect, as you state.
But I’ve been testing the little hand vacuum sealer, I’ve mentioned buying in my posts above. I suck the air out of a both 8oz & 16oz Wide mouth Mason jars, run the little vacuum sealer a 2nd time, until I hear the lid “pop”. It’s NOT a perfect vacuum.

My tests also have NOT included any herb in the jar, as I’ve only been testing how this vacuum affects the internal humidity.
I’ve tested with just the air in the jar, then with 62% Boveda pack in the jar. Using the Bluetooth humidity gauges, I’ve also posted in this thread.

The internal humidity after this vacuum seal, is usually between 7-9% loss. This backs up the research I’ve done online that both air and humidity are sucked out under vacuum. But with a Boveda pack in the jar, the humidity slowly returns to about 62% and stays there. I assume that indicates the vacuum is certainly not able to get all the air out, and thus the Boveda packs are still able to do the job. The vacuum should allow the packs to last much longer, as no new air is able to get in, after vacuum, it’s hard to pry the Ball jar lids off, they seal extremely well.

My goal was NOT long term storage, as I’m satisfied with my CVaults and AirScape canisters, each having Boveda packs in them, as well as Bluetooth humidity gauges. I can check their humidity levels on an iPad or iPhone.

I wanted to use vacuum sealing on the Ball jars, for herb I may not open for just a week or two. My LIMITED tests with the equipment I am using, have made me conclude that that INCLUDING a Boveda pack WORKS, under the limited vacuum the handheld unit is capable of producing, and I don’t see a downside.

As far as you saying:
“And why would you want to add oxygen to a jar you just created a vacuum in? Also, Oxygen creates free radicals, which in turn break down the compounds in your bud.”.

I don’t know who said that, folks in this thread have talked about using oxygen ABSORBING packs! I’ve never used them, and my short term vacuum storage plans don’t call for that, though for those considering LONG TERM storage, it might be something to consider?

Decent short article:

Last edited:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I don’t know who said that, folks in this thread have talked about using oxygen ABSORBING packs! I’ve never used them, and my short term vacuum storage plans don’t call for that, though for those considering LONG TERM storage, it might be something to consider?
The answer is probably "The boveda would stop working," but I've got to ask: What would happen if you vacuum sealed a jar with an oxygen remover and a boveda in it?

RustyOldNail

The answer is probably "The boveda would stop working," but I've got to ask: What would happen if you vacuum sealed a jar with an oxygen remover and a boveda in it?

Interesting question, if I had any I could test that. As I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve only tested with no herb in the Ball jars.
I’ve also discovered that just about every humidity gauge will start to give false readings when left sealed in a container with herb. Seems the sensors can get corrupted over time. I’ve spent a lot of time recalibrating my Bluetooth humidity gauges, which allow an offset. Learned this after seeing humidity percentages over 62%. It’s a slow degradation, but online research confirmed this.

Top Bottom