• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Bud Toaster - (currently: Model 14, version 3)

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I've noticed this thread before but didn't start reading till a few days ago. Amazing. Using similar principles to the Zap and PD, with some serious changes. I am very intrigued. Good luck Hippie

IAmKrazy2,

Bubar

i have an EE question: if i want to put the red LED back on the PIC pin that controls the MOSFET, can't i just add another MOSFET to control the LED? That extra MOSFET won't clamp the voltage like the LED diode itself does, will it? i'm considering this one: NEC MOSFET 2SK1958 ($0.12 ea). It shouldn't clamp the voltage because it's not the gate is not a diode, right?
As long as the pic can provide sufficient charge to both gates. I'd try it out and see.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Sorry, my last sentence didn't make any sense. What i meant to say was:

It [the MOSFET] shouldn't clamp the voltage on the gate because it's not a diode, right?
but, yeah, i'm gonna' try it.

IamKrazy2 - the start of this thread doesn't make a lot of sense either. i deleted some images when Image Shack got hacked several months ago and never restored them. i need to start a new thread when i get the next prototype done.

The original design was based on the Eterra, but it has evolved.

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Just figured it out... attach the anode of the red LED to the voltage regulator output (4.5v) and the cathode to the negative terminal of the coil -- so when the coil is on it completes the ground for the LED. Duh!

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

I just installed one of those transistors today. Works like a fcking charm and doesn't get too hot. I didn't bother measuring, but it works fine. I probably won't get the thing working until tuesday, because the gate pin is dead.. a casualty of the other day. I'll just reprogram it to use the other pwm port. I just hope ICSP works. Unfortunately 2 of the LCD pins are on the programming lines. I'm not sure if that would prevent the programming. I will try without doing any modification, but I imagine I'll have to slice the line and put a 2k resistor on it, like your problems with teh max6675 and ICSP. In future pcb designs I would definitely move the pins of the lcd.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
That's good to hear. i have the new MOSFET also, but i've taken the time to learn PCB routing software and i'm going to wait until i get some factory-made pcbs to try it out.

i've also been studying laser cutters/drillers. i want to be sure i get a powerful enough one to do the glass cutting and drilling, as well as the wood milling. i even have a spot picked out for it to sit.

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

It all works beautifully, and I didn't even need to modify anything to get ICSP to work. I clocked the heating time at 28s. I need to tune the algorithm better though, because it overshoots by 10C then each time it dips under the setpoint it jumps over by 5C slightly decreasing each time. It settles after a min or so to swinging over/under by about 2C. I think if I just lower the P value it will work perfectly. I'll do that tomorrow though. It's time to vape!!

Bubar,

Bubar

Click the link to see the big pic.

The gear

The screen (from dead on the screen is crisper.)

the transistor (kinda blurry)

connecting to the power supply with molex

empty tube

bowl inserted

vapor starting to show up at the connection

Bubar,

cebe11

Nice work.

I'm just starting, long way to go, but you and bud-toasters posts are always inspirational. Keep it up, I for one am always following along at home.

:peace:

=cebe

cebe11,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thank-you, cebe. i do apologize for the missing photos in the early part of this thread. i started with Image Shack, which got hacked, which super pissed me off, so i deleted all the images coming from them and haven't gotten around to replacing them from the gallery on ICMAG.com.

So, for anyone interested, all the images are in my albums (BudToaster's album) on www.icmag.com:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?u=98947

This has been an exciting week for sure ... here is the first glimpse of the first ten production Bud Toasters (LOL, we'll see, we'll see ...):

picture.php

Here is the top and bottom views:

picture.php

It's like Christmas all over again ... i'm as excited as a little kid.

Just had to try a dry fit of the button to test that the footprint is right:

picture.php

Just perfect!

Hippie Dickie,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
this thread is incredible.

nice work hippie dickie.

SSS,

Bubar

Nice. Have you measured the overall dimensions with the components in place?

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Thank-you for your comments.

Bubar - the board size is the same 1.25" wide by 1" high. i still have to mount the k-type thermocouple probe and the coil but here are some pixs with the surface mount components, the LEDs and the buttons installed:

top side:

picture.php

view of the button array:

picture.php

bottom side:

picture.php

This iteration has a slightly different mounting for the MOSFET, and i added an extra wire on the + lead of the coil to see if i can pump up the current flow to the coil for even faster heat up.

And i need to make the wood discs for the enclosure, which will be the standard 1.75" diameter by 3" long cylinder. Another day or two before first vapor.

Also, the programming clip fits on the PIC with no problem.

Hippie Dickie,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
HippieDickie,

Do you have any idea when the Bud Toaster may be available for purchase? :shrug:

This vaporizer is the one vape that we have been most anxiously awaiting (take your time to perfect it, but please do let us know whenever it becomes available). :D

Keep up the good work! :tup:

Progress,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
If the rollout plan proceeds on schedule, it should be available by late summer (2010) but definitely in time for Christmas shopping.

Just so you know, the price will be $500 complete - vaporizer, 2 battery packs, 5 sets of glassware, charger (needs 12 volts DC) & AC adapter (provides 12 volts to charger), and case (approximately 4" x 6" x 3" tall).

Software, a parts list, and complete construction details (with videos) will be posted after these 10 units have been fabricated and i have enough confidence to proceed to production quantities.

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Best Practices ... i'm applying the Apple model of marketing/sales.

i'm quite sure the chinese knockoff will be priced for the average buyer.

Hippie Dickie,

Rocket J Squirrel

Alas, you are not Apple. The closest to Apple in the vape industry are the Volcano guys.

The production Bud Toaster will have to be extraordinarily well-built and finished, and dead reliable to justify a $500 price tag. It will need to be jewelry.

One of the biggest challenges for folk who have not designed for the retail market is to come to grips with how little profit one can to make in order to get the retail price down to a level where it's considered a fair value by customers.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's going to be a steep climb to develop the cachet. I, for one, am rooting for you to pull it off.

Rocket J Squirrel,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Rocket - i agree 100%. And it will all depend on how these first 10 units go - from determining the manufacturing process to reports from the first users - who are all anxiously awaiting their own Bud Toaster after having used the series of prototypes for the last 8 years.

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom