Tetra P80

Pasoa2020

I just posted mine earlier on this page. Now I have to throw in my two cents. Go elegant. Go to town on the most beautiful wood choice you can make. Hint, the lacewood is gorgeous by the way. Maybe some Koa or Birdseye Maple for example. Then let the wood speak for itself. A gorgeous piece of wood is a timeless statement.

That's what I would do, but you can most definitely go nuts! Have fun! Go with a round cut instead of the box cut.
Thanks. Definitely following a lot of those Prinicpals.

Pasoa2020,
Reactions: acstorfer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Is this the thread to watch for the next drop announcement? I think I've narrowed it down to the P80 in terms of my "if you're going to pick one on-demand portable to get on a really long waiting list to buy" list.

Welcome to FC! Yes, you can subscribe to the emails, but someone always posts them here when there is a drop coming, also this one is not a wait list, more like a mental wait list and patience test, ordering is always a speed race so I recommend skimming backwards through this thread for the tips!

SockPuppetTheatrics

Welcome to FC! Yes, you can subscribe to the emails, but someone always posts them here when there is a drop coming, also this one is not a wait list, more like a mental wait list and patience test, ordering is always a speed race so I recommend skimming backwards through this thread for the tips!
Awesome, thanks! And happy belated Bear Claw Monday!

SockPuppetTheatrics,
  • Haha
Reactions: Shit Snacks

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Just wanted to post a few really premature first impressions--I'd like to live with this thing for a while before I really try to "review" it! While I've had it for coming on 2 weeks now, I was on vacation for about a week of that--we were doing some camping so I didn't want to bring a battery powered vape and one that arguably needs a bit more babying compared to a dynavap.

Still, I got to put a few bowls through it before leaving and I did another last night. So far I've been monkeying around with on demand (e.g. just clicking) and warm to cruise at eco setting 1 (slightly cooler when not drawing)--for home use I'm just OCD enough that I'll probably set that to 0 and save the eco settings for when I'm truly on the go and battery life is a concern, but anecdotally at setting 1 it seems to get back up to temp within a few seconds of beginning to inhale.

So far its been an absolute joy to use. Mine came with a straight green stem, the bent spikey stem, and the older Lamart WPA (no handle, the one with a bulbous middle section and the ground glass connectors on either side if you're familiar). I haven't gone through water yet as I wanted to get familiar with everything dry before doing that. The straight glass is great for pure flavor, but if I'm pushing above 400 it can be pretty hot on my throat. AVB has been very even and consistent, though so far I've been taking it a little darker than I usually ended on my woodscents. On my WS I typically end with a dark brown/tobacco colored AVB, I've been finishing ~420 degrees and find the avb is mostly black, so I'm going to try to tune that back a bit to see how even it is when I'm not going so hot.

The draw restriction is very different from the WS/DV experience with the P80, as it feels completely wide open. I think this is cool, but it does demand you be cognizant of your inhalation technique. The restriction on the other two limits your inhalation such that I can inhale as hard as I want realistically and set the temp accordingly. I suppose you can do the same here, but you'll probably need to up the temp quite a bit to compensate for the fast moving air. I haven't tested, but I would imagine that the AVB wouldn't be as even doing this. For my money so far I've found slowing my draw down--e.g. sip instead of rip--to be not only more comfortable on my throat at higher temps but to lead to the even AVB I discussed (for what its worth I also haven't monkeyed with joint packs yet, and I've just been filling and tamping the baskets).

Relative to my woodscents, I wouldn't necessarily say that this thing has to hit harder, but its certainly capable of doing so just due to the amount of material it can hold. IME the best (at least most efficient) way to use the woodscents with a dynavap tip is to pack maybe half of the tip and gently tamp so that none of the flower makes physical contact with the heater, which causes scorching/uneven heating. The wide open draw coupled with the fact that the basket screens can hold quite a bit more means that its easy to do much larger rips. This is good or bad depending on your needs. My tolerance is pretty low, so it certainly knocked me on my ass!

I also briefly monkeyed with the temp step mode last night (started at 350, ended at 410 with 5 steps in between--configuring this can be daunting at first as there's a lot in the menu, but its all pretty easy once you get the hang of it if you like to tinker). Its a fun feature, but I'm not sure how much I'd really use it vs just manually adjusting the temperature. I didn't notice it automatically changing temperatures--does anyone know what the time is on that? I just used the +/- buttons.

Lots more to test, and I've got a bunch more stems, a whip, and one of the lovely aubergine stem stands from Lamart en route. If there are any cons at all, I'd say that this might not be a vape to bring through an airport in the US unless you are extremely diligent about cleaning it before hand. I have a small soft bristled brush that I used to use for cleaning coffee grinder burrs, but it was too soft so I figured it would work here and I use it to gently brush out any flower that falls onto the heater screen. This can inadvertently lead to small crumbs of material getting stuck not necessarily in the screen, but on the outer circumference of the screen such that it doesn't quite fall straight out or into the joint. Just something to be aware of, and its an extremely minor niggle imo.

Also obviously its an expensive vape with glass parts, so depending on what portable means to you its something to consider. I'm actually curious if anyone has any good small travel case recommendations? I saw Vatra cases mentioned way, way back in the thread (of course I'm not reading the entire thread from page 1....). Some of them look great for home storage, but I'd love to find something small and well padded that would hold e.g. the vape and a single stem or 2. Depending on durability and use case I'm envisioning myself using the wooden capsule stems on the go, but maybe the tank would work well here too. Having something that can go in a pocket instead of a backpack or something but still feel like it offers more protection to the wood and glass would be the ideal for me (and I'll probably look at something a little bigger such as the Vatra double decker for travelling with the vape and a collection of stems when travelling to e.g. a friends for the weekend or something to that effect where it might not be truly used in an "on the go" fashion).

tl;dr first impressions for me have been extremely positive, and I'm excited to get a bunch of accessories and play with it some more!

edit: none of the woodscents or dynavap comments are meant to encourage a "WS vs P80" type of discussion in this thread, and I apologize if it reads that way. Just trying to give context of other vapes I use regularly. They're very different vapes and I still think the WS will have a spot in my rotation--personally I adore the thing, and there's a lot to love about logs!

Last edited:

gordontreeman

How does a vision impaired person order these?
It takes me ten minutes to type in my credit card number :myday:
Most modern browsers (Chrome, Firefox, probably Opera, Brave, Safari, and even Edge) allow you to save your CC info and instantly put it in (you might need to confirm the CVV, the 3 digit security code on the rear of the card).

However, food for thought--this may not be the vape for you if your vision is that bad? The font on the screen isn't exactly large. Diving into the menu would be rough, I would think. You don't strictly ever need to do that as these seem to come with a pretty solid configuration out of the box, but even the current temp being displayed might be challenging for you to read and adjust. Its possible that the dial on the TM or the haptic feedback of the Firewood 7 or any number of desktop vapes might be easier for you to use (similar to a TM most logs would be set it and forget it as far as dial position or voltage on a VVPS).

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
Hmmm... I seem to have put my P-80 into stealth mode and I cannot find where to turn it off.

Help!

acstorfer,

gordontreeman

Just got a collection of stems and a lovely stand from @funkyjunky (thanks again, Ralph!) that I figured I'd share here!

First, my unit itself:

Its purpleheart with a lacewood insert for the curious.

Next, the stand + various accessories for the vape (well, minus my batteries and charger!)

Probably not necessary, but I thought it was a very classy way to store the various stems in a convenient way for me to grab them. I ended up going with the Beech short w/ both the spiked glass and plain glass + amaze cooler to compare them. I figure this will be my true "portable" stem as the wood should be in theory a bit more durable and seems to stay locked to the TP80 better, but I'll need to play around more. I also grabbed a fumed tank and nub for something completely discrete. From comments about the heat I probably could have passed on the nub or gotten a mini j-hook instead, but I confess that I was doing some impulse shopping here to some extent... I also snagged one of the newer WPA's with a carb tube. The OG one works ok, but sometimes when I'm pulling the TP80 off the basket screen lifts up a bit. It seemed like a mess waiting to happen, and the newer version can also work with 18mm waterpipes. Finally, I snagged a whip. Major thanks to Ralph for saving me from myself here. In hindsight I should have just asked him to help me pick one that matches the TP80, but I wasn't thinking and mentioned that yellow and blue are my favorite colors. I think he did a reasonable job of accommodating that but still picking something that matched the accent wood so it doesn't look ridiculous!

And finally the whole ensemble.

Something I'm very excited about with this vape is its versatility--my log has been fantastic to me, but you can't really "temp step" the way you can here due to it needing some time to reach equilibrium at whatever temp you set it at, so I wanted some options for dry, portable, and at home. I think at some point I'll look into a nice j hook of some sort as I'm finding I really enjoy the lower temps dry, but when I get up to the 400F range it starts to get pretty harsh on my throat. I need to try these other options (I'm imagining the whip will excel at cooling due to the long vapor path, though if I had known how short they were I would have asked Ralph about the option of custom ordering a much longer one), but even the bendy spiked stem gets uncomfortable up there, and the stem itself also gets pretty warm. For now I'm going to play with all of these before I let GAS get the best of me!

fropones

Man I want a P80 so bad after a ton of research on portable vapes. Any idea how often they drop? I reached out on here and email to get added to the waitlist but never heard back on either.

fropones,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Man I want a P80 so bad after a ton of research on portable vapes. Any idea how often they drop? I reached out on here and email to get added to the waitlist but never heard back on either.
You need to keep checking back here. When a drop is announced it will be posted here, without a doubt. And if you’re signed up for Lamart email notifications, you will get an email from them informing you of the next drop once that date is determined by Lamart. Make sure you check your spam/junk folder, several of us have gotten responses that have been directed as junk mail (I have on multiple occasions despite having Lamart in my contacts list). And read back through this thread while you wait for the next drop, you’ll get an idea of drop frequency and other useful info.

gordontreeman

Man, don't sleep on the whip!

I know a lot of folks don't like stem packs but cruising along like this with a large bowl is a delightful way to use this thing. I think if I'm sharing with friends who don't partake often and have no idea how to use a vape this will be the setup I go for. I didn't pack the entire stem (flying solo that would absolutely be an Icarus moment for me) and I had to give it a stir midway through, but this actually still led to pretty even avb.

Its not as even as a rimmed basket, but to share with friends this would be perfectly acceptable to me. I guess in fairness I assume that as the bowl size increases and final temp stays lower (I took this pretty hot to finish and the last few hits didn't taste lovely) evenness probably decreases, but its worth experimenting with for longer/group sessions.

Shit Snacks

Man, don't sleep on the whip!

I know a lot of folks don't like stem packs but cruising along like this with a large bowl is a delightful way to use this thing. I think if I'm sharing with friends who don't partake often and have no idea how to use a vape this will be the setup I go for. I didn't pack the entire stem (flying solo that would absolutely be an Icarus moment for me) and I had to give it a stir midway through, but this actually still led to pretty even avb.

Its not as even as a rimmed basket, but to share with friends this would be perfectly acceptable to me. I guess in fairness I assume that as the bowl size increases and final temp stays lower (I took this pretty hot to finish and the last few hits didn't taste lovely) evenness probably decreases, but its worth experimenting with for longer/group sessions.

Toldja that whip is awesome, one of the best cooling options available, despite the silicone instead of glass, the really nice braided wrapping makes up for it though! And I think you're coloring actually matches pretty well, looking good my dude! :tup:

gordontreeman

Thanks @Shit Snacks! The blue and gold fumed nub matches the mod well, I don't know why I bought the tank in green! As I said, I think Ralph helped me out w/ the whip--but I dig the full ensemble as well!

I just put a bowl through it earlier, but I actually find the tank to be a killer cooling option, though the draw is restricted compared to the other options. From a pure cooling p.o.v. though I think it does better than the bendy spiked mp!

Shit Snacks

Thanks @Shit Snacks! The blue and gold fumed nub matches the mod well, I don't know why I bought the tank in green! As I said, I think Ralph helped me out w/ the whip--but I dig the full ensemble as well!

I just put a bowl through it earlier, but I actually find the tank to be a killer cooling option, though the draw is restricted compared to the other options. From a pure cooling p.o.v. though I think it does better than the bendy spiked mp!

Yeah I totally agree about the tank, still hoping for an XL version with a longer mouthpiece someday, the draw restriction is not such a big deal because the tetra airflow is normally so wide open! I went with gold fumed blue for my tank mouthpiece to match my acrylic TP80 coming soon...

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
I'm just curious, how many owners actually take their P-80s out of the home? I get nervous taking mine from my living room to my back porch or bedroom.

gordontreeman

I'm just curious, how many owners actually take their P-80s out of the home? I get nervous taking mine from my living room to my back porch or bedroom.

Fair question as its a spendy vape with a good amount of glass. I haven't gone further than the back porch yet so take all of this with a grain of salt, but I plan to grab something like https://vatra.com/shop/double-decker-10-ddk-xl/ (or a pelican or harbor frieght knock off, just something with pick apart foam and enough space for the vape and some stems) to take the vape along with some stems along when I sometimes visit friends who are a few hours away from me for a weekend, and I'm looking for something smaller (maybe something like https://vatra.com/shop/matrix-mx1-blue-black-plaid/ but I'm certainly open to suggestions) that would be more suitable for things like day hiking. The plan for the wooden stem was to have something I can theoretically throw in my pocket for dog walks and such (or even bring along on day hikes if I'm worried about breaking the other stems).

pinetrrizzle

@gordontreeman wow, that's a classy setup alright...

i only take mine outside of the place in a pelican (1150). thought it's on the move and used from home to work on basically a daily basis, it's always sitting safe and protected, and basically never rests outside of the pads of case. still looks as crisp as when i got it inside and out (upside down crew). the setup is still basically the same as what i posted on pg 115 (except never a grinder, just two more batteries).

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
When life hands you lemons

This happened a while ago so I doubt this is something that happened often. Anyway when I got this mouthpiece the screen popped out the first time I stirred it. After sooooooo many different screens from Lamart I just gave up. I was kind of bummed I couldn't use this mouthpiece then I remembered the prefilled capsules. I remember not caring for them but I gave then another try and I loved the way they worked. I prefer the woodstems with the Mighty capsule, but this worked really well. Anyway I ordered some new mouthpieces actually two orders of mouthpieces wanting to order some more capsules but I couldn't find them on the website. Eureka!!!!! The capsules were from tinymight. They didn't fit any other lamart pieces but this one mouthpiece. Of course that's most likely the culprit of the never fitting screens, but it worked out for the better.

Shit Snacks

When life hands you lemons

This happened a while ago so I doubt this is something that happened often. Anyway when I got this mouthpiece the screen popped out the first time I stirred it. After sooooooo many different screens from Lamart I just gave up. I was kind of bummed I couldn't use this mouthpiece then I remembered the prefilled capsules. I remember not caring for them but I gave then another try and I loved the way they worked. I prefer the woodstems with the Mighty capsule, but this worked really well. Anyway I ordered some new mouthpieces actually two orders of mouthpieces wanting to order some more capsules but I couldn't find them on the website. Eureka!!!!! The capsules were from tinymight. They didn't fit any other lamart pieces but this one mouthpiece. Of course that's most likely the culprit of the never fitting screens, but it worked out for the better.

Nice! Yeah there is variance with all glass, so every now and then you get one that is very tough to find basket screens to fit properly... And other such unfortunate inconsistencies that can occur, the trade off of the glass purity along with the breakability! Does look pretty good with the TM capsule, but yeah not a guaranteed universal fit...

Top Bottom