• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

StemPod by MPL

simba

@weedanwine
Recently read about potential issues of coils glowing hot when hitting a vape like the Stempod. Does anyone have any recommendations of which type/resistance of coils to use to avoid that issue?

simba,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Recently read about potential issues of coils glowing hot when hitting a vape like the Stempod. Does anyone have any recommendations of which type/resistance of coils to use to avoid that issue?

Its best to use 316 stainless steel, in a thick gauge, to avoid any glow, but the thing is also to set it up with proper temperature control, that way it would never ever glow...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: BigJr48

simba

@weedanwine
Its best to use 316 stainless steel, in a thick gauge, to avoid any glow, but the thing is also to set it up with proper temperature control, that way it would never ever glow...

Already always using 316SS, but guess my gauge isn't thick enough. Was hoping people might just link some examples of ones they use, to give me something to go on.

I've never had great success with the Stempod in TC and the current mod I have it on is terrible for TC, so would need to buy something new for that.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Already always using 316SS, but guess my gauge isn't thick enough. Was hoping people might just link some examples of ones they use, to give me something to go on.

Sorry, I just don't think it's a very active thread, you'd probably have better luck elsewhere, or just searching through previous posts here and Reddit etc? I don't have one of these and I've never built my own coils so I can't really help you there

I've never had great success with the Stempod in TC and the current mod I have it on is terrible for TC, so would need to buy something new for that.

Okay I would definitely suggest getting a better mod, but you can also look into a better coil option, I bet Uncle Mark could help you out as he does these builds based off splinter and imp on Instagram, but you could also reach out to Alan@toasty-top.com to get one of his steel mesh spiral galaxy heaters like he uses in his iHeat, I got one of those to install in my Herbie and I see no reason it wouldn't work well as a heater in the StemPod, as long as you give Alan all of the size dimensions so it fits properly (could even just send him the stem pod?) Hit him up and see if he can help if interested...

simba

@weedanwine
Sorry, I just don't think it's a very active thread, you'd probably have better luck elsewhere, or just searching through previous posts here and Reddit etc? I don't have one of these and I've never built my own coils so I can't really help you there

Okay I would definitely suggest getting a better mod, but you can also look into a better coil option, I bet Uncle Mark could help you out as he does these builds based off splinter and imp on Instagram, but you could also reach out to Alan@toasty-top.com to get one of his steel mesh spiral galaxy heaters like he uses in his iHeat, I got one of those to install in my Herbie and I see no reason it wouldn't work well as a heater in the StemPod, as long as you give Alan all of the size dimensions so it fits properly (could even just send him the stem pod?) Hit him up and see if he can help if interested...

Thanks for the suggestions

I am waiting for some 22g SS316L to come in stock but have a coil build I'm keen to try if someone else wants to make it?

It is 22 gauge twisted to about max tightness and then on something like 3-4mm jig (3.5mm to start try with) and 10 wraps at 0.2~ ohms. So this build would probably stretch out past the airholes to cover the entire build deck space. I am basing this off a similar build I did but with 24g instead of 22 this time. From my understanding it would perform better than standard 20g but it's mainly a matter of fitting the chunky coils in the build deck that would be the hardest part. Going to try this as soon as I can get some 22g wire so anyone want to try it out sooner? I don't think these coils will glow until the highest needed temps or barely at all hopefully.

As a comparison here are the steam-engine stats for the Tubo/Tetra/P80 coil (triple and quad coil are basically the same). So the 22g twisted build I got there seem's like it would be the same or greater surface area with greater heat potential just condensed into two instead of 3-4 coils but this is not including the borosillicate glass rods that are in the tubo/tetra. Maybe more hot spotting on the stempod? but can also turn the bowl which is great function.

Last edited:
moose_hunt,

RedBeard

Just picked up the stempod, really impressed with it tbh, thought i'd give the mighty a break.
I'm going to pick up some SS coils later so i can temp control, does anyone have recommendations on temp settings etc?

RedBeard,

simba

@weedanwine
Just picked up the stempod, really impressed with it tbh, thought i'd give the mighty a break.
I'm going to pick up some SS coils later so i can temp control, does anyone have recommendations on temp settings etc?

Only recently switched to using this with TC and have it set to 220F

simba,

XpeeN

I recommend you to learn how to work with TCR (and PI if you have ArcticFox installed), because the temp settings obviously depend on the coils' setup.

@RedBeard I have been looking for SS coils, where are they available for purchase?
AliExpress or Fasttech. I used regular ss316L 20GA wire (and coiled it myself) with my Dreamwood glow.

XpeeN,

simba

@weedanwine
What are peoples' opinion on the ceramic rod coils?

I had a set of these in years ago but managed to fuck them up when I was swapping them out to try a new setup. Had forgotten about them tbh but thinking I'm going to buy a new set.

Also been going through some random SS316L coils I had laying about and none of them are thick enough gauge to heat without glowing.

simba,

XpeeN

I had a set of these in years ago but managed to fuck them up when I was swapping them out to try a new setup. Had forgotten about them tbh but thinking I'm going to buy a new set.
I have no experience with it, will you use TCR with it? But generally, it sounds to me that it'll take a longer preheat for no real benefit.

XpeeN,

BigJr48

I never built coils or even knew much about them until I bought the Si, the problem I have is when I go to spread the coils apart to properly fit they burn uneven. I was going to buy a set but the $20 price tag really discourage me from doing so.

BigJr48,

Mribisback_

Also been going through some random SS316L coils I had laying about and none of them are thick enough gauge to heat without glowing.
I used these off my old QQ. ABV was the absolute most even out of all of the materials I've used. Downside was the lower heat up and the stempod ran way hotter.

Mribisback_,

Mribisback_

I had some very good luck with this on my Impcognito. It is the thickest 316 stainless steel gauge. I use it in wattage but you really gotta crank it up to get a good glow. Might be worth trying something similar in the stempod.

Mribisback_,

simba

@weedanwine
I used these off my old QQ. ABV was the absolute most even out of all of the materials I've used. Downside was the lower heat up and the stempod ran way hotter.
Yeah I do remember it getting very hot, still kinda worth it though.

I have no experience with it, will you use TCR with it? But generally, it sounds to me that it'll take a longer preheat for no real benefit.
I used to use it in wattage mode, and the benefit is avoiding the health risk from glowing coils.

I had some very good luck with this on my Impcognito. It is the thickest 316 stainless steel gauge. I use it in wattage but you really gotta crank it up to get a good glow. Might be worth trying something similar in the stempod.

Looks good, do you have a link to where you bought this? Although I've been very reluctant to get into building my own coils 🤣 been trying to avoid getting into yet another thing. And coil building seems like a rabbit hole in itself. Also I miss my Impcognito 😭 managed to lose mine a few months ago, they're so awesome, your mod for it looks good.

simba,
Yeah I do remember it getting very hot, still kinda worth it though.

I used to use it in wattage mode, and the benefit is avoiding the health risk from glowing coils.

Looks good, do you have a link to where you bought this? Although I've been very reluctant to get into building my own coils 🤣 been trying to avoid getting into yet another thing. And coil building seems like a rabbit hole in itself. Also I miss my Impcognito 😭 managed to lose mine a few months ago, they're so awesome, your mod for it looks good.
VERY hard to make a coil like this in stempod. There is not enough room.

I have contemplated grinding off the top holes of the leg posts for a single coil build like that on my spare build deck.

IMO stempod would reaallyyy benefit from a flat build deck like something from mesh RDA or the herbie V2 but still with the air flow holes, no other build deck has both the flat posts (that I know) making building easier, more room but also with the directed airflow mostly over the coil. Hope Dan is working on an improved stempod OG build deck, but still keep it simple he nailed the design and everything else.

I’ve tried many types of coils and have ideas for better surface area but you are limited a lot by the build deck posts. Also I imagine coil alignment and spreading the coils is easier with the posts going down vertically, just need to trim legs correctly first.

Here is crude drawing but hopefully it shows the point. It would save a lot of vertical build room and give but more horizontally.

moose_hunt,
Reactions: KeroZen

XpeeN

Yeah, but you can use ss316l coils with TCR, and you'll avoid glowing too without the sacrifice of heating time like those ceramic heaters.

I have contemplated grinding off the top holes of the leg posts for a single coil build like that on my spare build deck.

IMO stempod would reaallyyy benefit from a flat build deck like something from mesh RDA or the herbie V2 but still with the air flow holes, no other build deck has both the flat posts (that I know) making building easier, more room but also with the directed airflow mostly over the coil. Hope Dan is working on an improved stempod OG build deck, but still keep it simple he nailed the design and everything else.

I’ve tried many types of coils and have ideas for better surface area but you are limited a lot by the build deck posts. Also I imagine coil alignment and spreading the coils is easier with the posts going down vertically, just need to trim legs correctly first.

Here is crude drawing but hopefully it shows the point. It would save a lot of vertical build room and give but more horizontally.

Have you tried a spiral coil? I found it to work pretty well with velocity decks.

XpeeN,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop

I totally agree with this. Herbie V2 airflow was to complicated. What you actually need is a stempod with mesh, or the ability to have a larger coil. The coil space on the stempod is quite limited.

Whatever happened to the Modpod?

That was Dans first idea. The stempod was meant to produce cashflow for the more complicated design. Hope it's still on the cards.

oddjobold,

simba

@weedanwine
Yeah, but you can use ss316l coils with TCR, and you'll avoid glowing too without the sacrifice of heating time like those ceramic heaters.
I've tried a few coils already in TCR mode and still had glowing coils, which was the reason I asked for recommendations in the first place.

simba,

XpeeN

I've tried a few coils already in TCR mode and still had glowing coils, which was the reason I asked for recommendations in the first place.
So you set the wrong TCR value, or you installed coils that are too small to heat up the way you want without glowing.

If you have AF installed, follow this thread

XpeeN,

simba

@weedanwine
I'm not using an AF compatible mod. I don't think it's the wrong value, but yes probably the coils. Again that's why I asked for specific coil recommendations, but aside from recommendations for the mesh heaters and thick gauge wire, no one has been able to recommend prebuilt coils that I could just order.

simba,
Top Bottom