Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumping Spheda

Just ordered the Z off RastaBuddhaTao site so I’m guessing it’s the newer one. Looking for the best cooling stem available.

Thanks
I heard Ultimate Cooling Stem from Ddave mods cools best (available in both 19/19 and 19/22), but it restricts airflow a little. Dimpled bent stem is best for cooling/airflow happy medium.

Bumping Spheda,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Can the Tubo bent stem fit the Splinter Z?

Thanks to everyone who helped with my mod questions!

Depends on the Splinter Z. Older ones used the shorter 19/19 fitting, newer ones use standard 19/22 fitting which Tubo also uses.

Nope, Tubo standard stems are 19/26 actually, ISO standard not US standard like Splinter Z (all Z should be 19/22). You can make it fit with tape wrapped around it, or an o-ring maybe... It will not fit natively, but you could cut down the joint length from 26 to 22 mm. The new tubo nub cooler is 22mm so that one will fit however.

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
Nope, Tubo standard stems are 19/26 actually, ISO standard not US standard like Splinter Z (all Z should be 19/22). You can make it fit with tape wrapped around it, or an o-ring maybe... It will not fit natively, but you could cut down the joint length from 26 to 22 mm. The new tubo nub cooler is 22mm so that one will fit however.
Thanks for the info! Going to order one now, but it seems like I have to do a bank transfer First.

LAWTHEONE,

almost there

the standard bent stem fits quite well in my custom Z's and V1 but the fit won't work with the V2 or custom splinter

Last edited:
almost there,
Reactions: LAWTHEONE

Shit Snacks

the standard bent stem fits quite well in my custom Z's and V1 but the fit won't work with the V2 or custom splinter

Huh :hmm: does not align with my experience at all, tubo bent stem doesn't fit any RBT vape. I even did a post somewhere in some Splinter thread comparing all of the joints on a bunch of stems including the tubo bent stem and it was much longer than any of the RBT stem joints...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It will not fit natively, but you could cut down the joint length from 26 to 22 mm.
If you are making the effort to cut it, take off another mm or 2 to allow the rimmed screens and some room for variation. They are very convenient. (If I remember back in Zion times you weren't really a fan of those screens...)

LAWTHEONE

Perfect thanks I know I have the version 2 US Splinter German glass. My other question is do I have the 2 hole or 4 hole version?

Last edited:
LAWTHEONE,

Shit Snacks

Perfect thanks I know I have the version 2 US Splinter German glass. My other question is do I have the 2 hole or 4 hole version?

There is no 4 hole V Splinter. Version 2 etc refers to the Chinese Splinters, so no such thing as a V2 US Splinter Z... If you have one of the new custom Splinter Z's, you have durability to test if the stem fits well or not. Just be careful to notice if it is sealing in the glass, or up against the screen (the latter is what you dont want). Anyway all new Splinter Z's are 2 holes as well, 4 holes are very rare, a limited offer at the time.

LAWTHEONE

There is no 4 hole V Splinter. Version 2 etc refers to the Chinese Splinters, so no such thing as a V2 US Splinter Z... If you have one of the new custom Splinter Z's, you have durability to test if the stem fits well or not. Just be careful to notice if it is sealing in the glass, or up against the screen (the latter is what you dont want). Anyway all new Splinter Z's are 2 holes as well, 4 holes are very rare, a limited offer at the time.
Thanks again. Sounds like some people say the splinter hits better or harder than the Splinter Z. On their site it says US version but I’m not sure. Hopefully I grabbed the right one.

Shit Snacks

Thanks again. Sounds like some people say the splinter hits better or harder than the Splinter Z. On their site it says US version but I’m not sure. Hopefully I grabbed the right one.

Nah, they hit equally hard. Z has a larger more complex heater, which could mean higher vapor quality and more ability to keep up with various draws... Capable of a bit more power output, its just that the regular Splinter is no slouch! Larger heater can mean more preheat for some, though it will also retain more heat, slight differences.

Are you talking about the main RBT site store? They say just say "Splinter Z - [wood type]" now for the US custom Splinters. The cheaper ZV2 (blackwood) and previous ZV1 (bubinga) are Chinese... Purpleheart, canarywood, wenge (and yes also bubinga, though a different species visually) are the US custom Zs. Other varieties of exotic wood may become available for customs, but ZVs offer one wood type for each version.

Last edited:

LAWTHEONE

Nah, they hit equally hard. Z has a larger more complex heater, which could mean higher vapor quality and more ability to keep up with various draws... Capable of a bit more power output, its just that the regular Splinter is no slouch! Larger heater can mean more preheat for some, though it will also retain more heat, slight differences.

Are you talking about the main RBT site store? They say just say "Splinter Z - [wood type]" now for the US custom Splinters. The cheaper ZV2 (blackwood) and previous ZV1 (bubinga) are Chinese... Purpleheart, canarywood, wenge (and yes also bubinga, though a different species visually) are the US custom Zs. Other varieties of exotic wood may become available for customs, but ZVs offer one wood type for each version.

Yes I’m talking about RTB main site. When I click on the Wenge is says

“Description
US Splinter Z - Wenge with clear German glass, 2 mouthpieces, three screens, stir tool, and natural cloth bag. Splinter Z can be powered by most 50+ watt mod box batteries - sold separately“.
Copy and pasted from their site

LAWTHEONE,

Shit Snacks

Yes I’m talking about RTB main site. When I click on the Wenge is says

“Description
US Splinter Z - Wenge with clear German glass, 2 mouthpieces, three screens, stir tool, and natural cloth bag. Splinter Z can be powered by most 50+ watt mod box batteries - sold separately“.
Copy and pasted from their site

Yup, so its a US/Custom exotic wood. So you can test whatever glass when you have it to see how well it fits, there's a lot of glass variance.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LAWTHEONE

sickmanfraud

Can the Tubo bent stem fit the Splinter Z?

Thanks to everyone who helped with my mod questions!

NO.

Huh :hmm: does not align with my experience at all, tubo bent stem doesn't fit any RBT vape. I even did a post somewhere in some Splinter thread comparing all of the joints on a bunch of stems including the tubo bent stem and it was much longer than any of the RBT stem joints...

My experience is the same as @Shit Snacks . Tubo stems, besides the Nub, will NOT fit RBT vapes without PTFE tape. Even the nub needs a couple of winds of PEFE tape to fit a US Custom Splinter.

IMO the $40 price difference between the Chinese Z's and the US Custom Z is DEFINATELY WORTH IT.

Anyone who can afford it should seriously consider a Custom Z with the THICK German glass.

I have 8 510 dry herb atomizers (I think) and I have to pick up a replacement Chinese Splinter from the Post office (1 week shipping from the USA to Israel) that Ryan is sending me.

However, I am still agonizing about whether to snag another Custom Z. I am not sure vaporizer futures are a sound investment.

Edit:

I got off on a tangent when asked about stems fitting splinters.

The King cooling kit is going to fit since they were made to fit splinters.

The smoked glass XLR8 seem to be thicker (they are heavier) which is supposed to cool the vapor better.

Last edited:

LuLu

yes smoked glass xl8r is thicker/smaller bore and i think a overall improvement, need help deciding on which custom Z to get, which is the strongest of these exotic woods ?

Logic

Old Skool Member ‘10
The smoked glass XLR8 seem to be thicker (they are heavier) which is supposed to cool the vapor better.

So the smoked glass is thicker than the clear German glass?

Logic,

Shit Snacks

yes smoked glass xl8r is thicker/smaller bore and i think a overall improvement, need help deciding on which custom Z to get, which is the strongest of these exotic woods ?

All strong I'd say, though wenge is a noticeably softer wood in my experience with other vapes. My Z is canary and I love it, bubinga is a solid standard I'm sure, while purpleheart is so rich (I have a whole PH Milaana) though its color can fade to brown in the sunlight... Go with your gut!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I really don't see why the origin of the glass is constantly mentioned. There is thick glass and thinner glass. That's the crux of the matter; the fact that one comes from Germany and the other from China is irrelevant. The thickness is what makes the difference, and adding the origin smacks of racism.

eideal852

I really don't see why the origin of the glass is constantly mentioned. There is thick glass and thinner glass. That's the crux of the matter; the fact that one comes from Germany and the other from China is irrelevant. The thickness is what makes the difference, and adding the origin smacks of racism.
yikes... I think it's mostly mentioned when discussing glass as "thick german glass" has often been thrown out there as evidence of superior quality/durability. It's about manufacturing tolerance and oversight, the same way people have concerns that anything else from China could be potentially of dubious origin- why people are hesitant to test their luck on cheap vapes from AliBaba.

In regards to this specifically, RBT has used "thick walled german schott glass" as a selling point.

That said, I have a V1 a V2 and a V1Z, all with no glass issues. Another two (v1/v2) I've gifted with no issues. I did receive one broken, but I agree, glass is glass, shit happens.

in any case, as long as "german glass" is being used as a way to indicate heavier, higher quality glass, I'll take that to mean that the here·to·fore used chinese glass is/was not of the same caliber... hence the move to specifically use thicker glass moving forward.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
What an odd thing to say. Is it wrong to say French Wine, or New Zealand Lamb Chops or German Beer? How about old world craftsmanship or Southern cooking? I guess I am just confused...

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
The producer Schott is from Germany, but I dare to doubt the glass of any Splinter is manufactured in Germany. There are indeed a lot of glass related patents owned by Schott, one is the "famous" Schott DURAN glass (had in mind to link to Wikipedia, but page seems to be down).

I think the "german glass" is Schott DURAN.

badbee

Pakalolo has a point that in the forums it's common place to mention China as the explanation for why something is lower quality. We should all keep in mind that China builds rockets, submarines, stealth fighters, super computers, iPhones. Note I'm not intending to go into politics, just manufacturing. The problem is that wanna be entrepreneurs from the US without any knowledge of how to write an engineering specification or a contract go shopping randomly for the lowest bidder to supply components. Of course they are in danger of getting low quality.

Now take Arizer, all their equipment is made in China, only a partial assembly is completed in Canada. Arizer makes very well regarded high quality items, clearly because they've figured out how to work with suppliers. Maybe they don't go with the lowest bidders...

I truly respect the design work and innovation done by the niche contributors like RBT and the VapeCritic but they have (or started with) no training or experience in international manufacturing. These are good guys, but would I hire them to run a division of a company I owned, hell no, they don't have any qualifications. They make very small orders that are a tiny trivial portion of the customer base of some glass or metal component supplier in Shengzen. Suppliers there, or anywhere, will give you the bare minimum you've contracted for and nothing else.

Sorry for that rant. I'm just saying, it's not a China quality problem, it's mostly a problem with lack of experience and economic clout on the part of the American vape company owners. If the glass in a v2 Splinter is not good (by the way I love my v2 Splinter and have no issues with any part of it) that's RBT's responsibility, he could have chosen to buy thicker glass in China but didn't want to pay for it. Maybe I don't want to pay for it either...

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
What an odd thing to say. Is it wrong to say French Wine, or New Zealand Lamb Chops or German Beer? How about old world craftsmanship or Southern cooking? I guess I am just confused...

Oh, I think you get it, but I'll spell it out for you anyway. The term "Chinese glass" is being used to indicate inferior quality. I feel pretty certain that if the thinner glass was from Germany, we wouldn't see a lot of references to "German glass".

Having said that, it's time to discuss Splinters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom