arb

Semi shaved ape
The ssv I use for a aroma stinker has quit heating today.
Light on but no heat........time for a dissection.

SquirrelMaster

I changed my SSV from 4mm boro balls to 3mm boro balls today. There was a definite improvement which makes sense now that they are fully surrounding the heating element. I had it at 12 o'clock for about 25 minutes of pre-heating and then I loaded up about a small scoop of flower and an 1/8" deep of kief for a top layer. Seeing the kief instantly darken a few seconds into my draw told me the change was worth it! I was getting good performance before but this was well worth the hunt of 3mm boro balls.

@blackstone as androponic said, be careful with those glass balls, there's a good chance they'll melt to the heater or break given the chance. Soda lime isn't a good choice as their softening temps can be just over 200°C and they have a high coefficient of thermal expansion so they may crack. Borosilicate beads made in the US are the safest choice as they're tested for very high temps and they're made for a lab environment. European manufactures would probably be a good choice as well I'm just not aware of which one. I don't trust anything coming from China, they don't adhere to the same standards so it's hard to know if you're getting genuine boro. My 4mm boro balls that just came out of my SSV were spotless and I've kept my SSV on all day on a few occasions. They are Kimble boro beads and the 3mm balls going in are also made in the USA but I'm not sure by who, they were from VapeCritic.

blackstone

Thanks guys, that's some good advice. I thought some people were accepting this ammo to be borosilicate or the same as Troy used first time.
I really liked the idea of US made balls first and some options like ceramic zirconia were very attractive too, but pricey with postage for a mod I'd never tried yet.
Maybe now that I know it works, and how many I need, I might search out a good price on something decent.
I also saw porcelain balls but probably best to just stick to what's working great for others.
I'd like to try the mod with all the balls and an even lower setting but I don't think it could be done unless I get a 110 volt SSV someday just for that reason!
The effect with just 81 x 3mm balls and a lower screen only is very noticeable and good though.
And it's still a lovely clean source of hot air for vaping, maybe I just need to ditch these silly soda lime starter balls to clean up my act fully!

I love my SSV
^^^This is basically what I wanted to say in my post, but I get a bit carried away with all the details!:D:tup:

Cervical CBD

Thanks guys, that's some good advice. I thought some people were accepting this ammo to be borosilicate or the same as Troy used first time.
I really liked the idea of US made balls first and some options like ceramic zirconia were very attractive too, but pricey with postage for a mod I'd never tried yet.
Maybe now that I know it works, and how many I need, I might search out a good price on something decent.
I also saw porcelain balls but probably best to just stick to what's working great for others.
I'd like to try the mod with all the balls and an even lower setting but I don't think it could be done unless I get a 110 volt SSV someday just for that reason!
The effect with just 81 x 3mm balls and a lower screen only is very noticeable and good though.
And it's still a lovely clean source of hot air for vaping, maybe I just need to ditch these silly soda lime starter balls to clean up my act fully!

^^^This is basically what I wanted to say in my post, but I get a bit carried away with all the details!:D:tup:

I don’t think it even needs a mod to hit hard and I’m not going to do mine. I started a return today for them to swap wands. I was hoping they would send me a new and I’d send the misshaped one back once I received the new.

blackstone

I don’t think it even needs a mod to hit hard and I’m not going to do mine. I started a return today for them to swap wands. I was hoping they would send me a new and I’d send the misshaped one back once I received the new.
Yeah., it's like it changes a few characteristics and makes it vape different or quicker. If you were happy already it's hard to justify big expense on it unless the mod suited you well also, and I imagine there are some who will prefer it without a "new improved recipe" too.
It's a pity we don't live near to each other (I assume!), as I have a spare wand I could've loaned you.
It will all be worthwhile when you have fresh clouds again with no scooby snacks in your mouth! Hope you don't have to wait long.

shatter-reality

So I bought an SSV off of Reddit a few weeks ago and have been enjoying using it without the balls while I was waiting on them. Got the balls and nothing? Does the ball mod only work with the spherecial glass?

shatter-reality,
Reactions: arb

Ariste

So I bought an SSV off of Reddit a few weeks ago and have been enjoying using it without the balls while I was waiting on them. Got the balls and nothing? Does the ball mod only work with the spherecial glass?
You don't get any vapor with the balls? Are you letting it heat up long enough?

shatter-reality

I gave it 15-20mins to heat up yesterday at a little past noon-thirty. I’ll go throw it on for 30mins and come back with an edit.

Edit: So using the original wand setup I cannot get it to produce vapor. I’m thinking this is because to get the balls to not move you have to pack the entire thing full. I guess I’ll order a new heater housing and wand in a few days.

Last edited:
shatter-reality,
Reactions: arb

hoptimum

I gave it 15-20mins to heat up yesterday at a little past noon-thirty. I’ll go throw it on for 30mins and come back with an edit.

Edit: So using the original wand setup I cannot get it to produce vapor. I’m thinking this is because to get the balls to not move you have to pack the entire thing full. I guess I’ll order a new heater housing and wand in a few days.
are you sure the ceramic rod is high enough inside the heater cover? If you look straight into the heater cover you should be able to see the top of the rod glowing

blackstone

Wanted to post and say I found a great source of boro balls with good wordwide shipping rates, it's VGoodiEZ!!
So I got those and just before they came the other day I had a great night on my SSV, just stock the way it comes, and man I love it that way. Big long rips and plenty of them!! Sessions last a good while.
Then I realised only lately that VGoodiEZ also sells the proper Elev8 Quartz enhancement tube, dang I could have ordered that too had I known!
Well anyway, ill be back to buy that tube from @VGOODIEZ , why? Because I was so impressed with my package, there was a lovely gift inside, many stickers, and a hand written note to say thanks to me for ordering, wow!
I see now why people talk about that company all day long! And they have lots of Elev8 favorites on there and more.
I'm looking forward to more SSV fun this weekend, what a beast and what great vapor!
I find a great setting and stay there, does anybody here ever boost the setting on their SSV to finish off a load?
Thanks.

SquirrelMaster

Wanted to post and say I found a great source of boro balls with good wordwide shipping rates, it's VGoodiEZ!!
So I got those and just before they came the other day I had a great night on my SSV, just stock the way it comes, and man I love it that way. Big long rips and plenty of them!! Sessions last a good while.
Then I realised only lately that VGoodiEZ also sells the proper Elev8 Quartz enhancement tube, dang I could have ordered that too had I known!
Well anyway, ill be back to buy that tube from @VGOODIEZ , why? Because I was so impressed with my package, there was a lovely gift inside, many stickers, and a hand written note to say thanks to me for ordering, wow!
I see now why people talk about that company all day long! And they have lots of Elev8 favorites on there and more.
I'm looking forward to more SSV fun this weekend, what a beast and what great vapor!
I find a great setting and stay there, does anybody here ever boost the setting on their SSV to finish off a load?
Thanks.
I forgot about the boost
Thanks.
I forgot it had a boost feature to be honest. My dial sits at 11 o'clock iirc and never moves, I just use a smart plug to turn it on.

howie105

I use an LSV and a Da Buddha and ninety percent of the time both open and close at the same temp setting.

Hey shatter-reality. Have you tried altering your usual draw? Sometimes a big change in the vapes thermal mass and restriction benefits from a slower draw, at least in my case. Enjoy

Last edited:
howie105,
Reactions: ataxian

SquirrelMaster

It sounds like you're doing everything right if I follow. I have the spherical cover fyi but I wouldn't think that matters. If the glass balls are surrounding and touching the heating element you should be nearly combusting if you're past noon on the dial with a bit of a preheat. You want the balls packed in there so the heat transfers easier. I first used 4mm balls and although they didn't full encase the heating element they were touching 2 sides of the heater (as opposed to 3? with the 3mm balls) and it was still better than stock.

I wouldn't think the shape of the heater housing end would matter if the long part is the same internal diameter. I do not have first hand experience with other housings so maybe I'm missing something.

SquirrelMaster,

SSV_Steve_Elev8

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
It sounds like you're doing everything right if I follow. I have the spherical cover fyi but I wouldn't think that matters. If the glass balls are surrounding and touching the heating element you should be nearly combusting if you're past noon on the dial with a bit of a preheat. You want the balls packed in there so the heat transfers easier. I first used 4mm balls and although they didn't full encase the heating element they were touching 2 sides of the heater (as opposed to 3? with the 3mm balls) and it was still better than stock.

I wouldn't think the shape of the heater housing end would matter if the long part is the same internal diameter. I do not have first hand experience with other housings so maybe I'm missing something.
One thing we do want to say is do not put boro balls inside. The unit works wonderully without the balls. We have had many people loose the heater to the balls when the fuse together. But, we do love that people will work on their Surfers, its what makes them extra special. You can try quartz balls or we have an enhancement tube, but I do feel it should work just fine without the balls.

howie105

One thing we do want to say is do not put boro balls inside. The unit works wonderully without the balls. We have had many people loose the heater to the balls when the fuse together. But, we do love that people will work on their Surfers, its what makes them extra special. You can try quartz balls or we have an enhancement tube, but I do feel it should work just fine without the balls.
Why don't you folks sell quartz balls? It might generate traffic and some additional purchases on your site.

SSV_Steve_Elev8

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
We do not sell the balls because the unit works as designed. We find the Surfer is based on simplicity and art. We do what we can, and we are not as big as people think, so we like to keep a focus. We find that the draw speed has such an impact that really the balls are not necessary. But, much like the racing market the Surfer can be upgraded with non OEM parts.

Thanks!

howie105

Interesting, Thanks. If you don't mind another question, with the departure of the LSV is the glass portion of the product line going away too after on hand stocks runs out?

howie105,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
We do not sell the balls because the unit works as designed. We find the Surfer is based on simplicity and art. We do what we can, and we are not as big as people think, so we like to keep a focus. We find that the draw speed has such an impact that really the balls are not necessary. But, much like the racing market the Surfer can be upgraded with non OEM parts.

Thanks!
Stay the course!
The SSV is very powerful!
One can upgrade to fit there want’s?

SquirrelMaster

What temperature does the heater reach? I've only heard of issues with low quality quartz or soda lime balls cracking or fusing, nothing with good boro balls.

shatter-reality

Sorry haven’t checked this in a minute. Using the OG cover with a 20 minute preheat it really didn’t change the experience at all. Honestly I kind of wonder if the second-hand unit I purchased is slightly defective because even without the balls mod it still never really hit super good. Was wanting until the new year to send it in for repair and to get a new cover/wand with some Ruby balls this time.

About to start a space bucket/small grow tent and have some other hobbies that came up in cost so I’ll probably contact Elev8 around Spring for repairs just to see if it is.

Edit: Also to the draw speed I tried about 15 different types of draws and the only time I even got a taste or visible vapor even no balls high turn of the knob and the rod glowing was if I inhaled incredibly slow and it was just not the experience I was looking for. No offense to Elev8 bc I think they have a goldmine of a desktop unit, but I personally prefer on-demand versus session and I was hoping for powerful one hit extractions with an SSV, otherwise I would have just waited and bought a V-Rod next year.

shatter-reality,

SquirrelMaster

Sorry haven’t checked this in a minute. Using the OG cover with a 20 minute preheat it really didn’t change the experience at all. Honestly I kind of wonder if the second-hand unit I purchased is slightly defective because even without the balls mod it still never really hit super good. Was wanting until the new year to send it in for repair and to get a new cover/wand with some Ruby balls this time.

About to start a space bucket/small grow tent and have some other hobbies that came up in cost so I’ll probably contact Elev8 around Spring for repairs just to see if it is.

Edit: Also to the draw speed I tried about 15 different types of draws and the only time I even got a taste or visible vapor even no balls high turn of the knob and the rod glowing was if I inhaled incredibly slow and it was just not the experience I was looking for. No offense to Elev8 bc I think they have a goldmine of a desktop unit, but I personally prefer on-demand versus session and I was hoping for powerful one hit extractions with an SSV, otherwise I would have just waited and bought a V-Rod next year.
That does not sound right, my SSV43 hits very hard. It was good stock but 3mm balls just took it to another level. The heating elements are easy to replace I believe, I would start there. I found balls gave me a huge increase in stored energy. I could tell a difference from stock to 4mm balls to 3mm balls as I had to turn down the dial each time and it still hit harder.

shatter-reality

That does not sound right, my SSV43 hits very hard. It was good stock but 3mm balls just took it to another level. The heating elements are easy to replace I believe, I would start there. I found balls gave me a huge increase in stored energy. I could tell a difference from stock to 4mm balls to 3mm balls as I had to turn down the dial each time and it still hit harder.
Yeah I was incredibly confused when I first bought it because even without the balls I had always heard if you crank it up it can still hit hard and fast, you just have to finesse the bowl a bit w your draw. Never could get it to go. The rod will glow, I’ve used 2.5mm balls, I’ve used 3mm balls(all quartz or rather what Amazon says is quartz) and like no difference at all.

My initial thinking for an SSV43 mod was that the the distance from the bowl(it’s honestly a good distance away from the heating element with the OG screen/bowl so I figured that was my problem but it didn’t make a whole hell of a lot of sense but wutevs. 2.5mm balls didn’t help so tried 3mm. No dice. :-( Once I get my aquarium fully established(learning Aquaponics growing) and have my DWC spacetote fixed a little I’m going to get back to the SSV43 mod. I think this would be pretty much the tightest thing to just sit on my desk and have fast hard rips without missing a beat. Also my fiancée got me a FW7 for Xmas so I imagine I’ll be really obsessed with that for awhile. :-) I’ll eventually get back to this. Pandemic makes funds to where I can’t just drop a few hundred without care. I appreciate everyone’s help.

howie105

Try bumping the heat to between two and three thirty, let the load heat soak for a minute or so and it looks like you are closing in on the draw. Good luck and hang in there.

SquirrelMaster

Yeah I was incredibly confused when I first bought it because even without the balls I had always heard if you crank it up it can still hit hard and fast, you just have to finesse the bowl a bit w your draw. Never could get it to go. The rod will glow, I’ve used 2.5mm balls, I’ve used 3mm balls(all quartz or rather what Amazon says is quartz) and like no difference at all.

My initial thinking for an SSV43 mod was that the the distance from the bowl(it’s honestly a good distance away from the heating element with the OG screen/bowl so I figured that was my problem but it didn’t make a whole hell of a lot of sense but wutevs. 2.5mm balls didn’t help so tried 3mm. No dice. :-( Once I get my aquarium fully established(learning Aquaponics growing) and have my DWC spacetote fixed a little I’m going to get back to the SSV43 mod. I think this would be pretty much the tightest thing to just sit on my desk and have fast hard rips without missing a beat. Also my fiancée got me a FW7 for Xmas so I imagine I’ll be really obsessed with that for awhile. :-) I’ll eventually get back to this. Pandemic makes funds to where I can’t just drop a few hundred without care. I appreciate everyone’s help.
The heater didn't get pushed down right? Mine comes right up to the center of the bend in the glass i.e. if I look into where the wand goes I can see the end of the heater. If it's glowing and you can feel heat radiating off then it sounds like it's working granted I don't know how a failing heater would act.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: howie105
Top Bottom