potatobass

Hello guys,

Celebrating my ten years SSV anniversary!!

I would like to treat myelf and switch to spherical ground glass instead of the standard wand.
Do you fell like it's worth it?

Also i love the idea of not using tubes anymore , so considering the all glass transfer wand ...
But i was wondering if i could just use a LSV gong adaptor with the spherical ground glass heater cover to go directly through a bubbler instead?

Thx a lot!

potatobass,

Vitolo

Vaporist
But i was wondering if i could just use a LSV gong adaptor
I mix and match all LSV parts with the SSV. Water, Gong, Sphere... back and forth!
Photoon2011-10-13at0856.jpg

hoptimum

Hello guys,

Celebrating my ten years SSV anniversary!!

I would like to treat myelf and switch to spherical ground glass instead of the standard wand.
Do you fell like it's worth it?

Also i love the idea of not using tubes anymore , so considering the all glass transfer wand ...
But i was wondering if i could just use a LSV gong adaptor with the spherical ground glass heater cover to go directly through a bubbler instead?

Thx a lot!

Perhaps the best glass cooling stems they ever produced. I keep breaking them and replacing them.

I took a somewhat different approach

hoptimum,
Reactions: Vitolo

SquirrelMaster

I hadn't pulled out my balled up SSV in a long while so I just cleaned it up and had a nice Sunday, migraine relief session.

I really love this vape. It's a beauty. Tastes phenomenal. Smooth as fuck through a bubbler. Did I mention how good it looks :lol:. I had just finished a Hybrid session with my bags through water and going to the SSV (with the same glass) was a level up for flavor and vapor quality. It's top 3 imo.

My SSV sat in a shop for nearly a decade before I bought it lol. It was a gem of a find and works beautifully. I just pulled out the original document that came with everything while doing a clean up, as well a sweet SSV sticker that I slapped on my vape cupboard. I should give it a nice glass upgrade for 420 as it's going to be back in rotation for the foreseeable future.

StoneyBeached

What's up all! Just joined FC but have been enjoying my SSV for a few months now. Great flavor and I love the ritual of a session with the surfer. Any common tips besides adding balls lol. I do have the enhancement tube, and personally think it's not an improvement over the stock setup. Thanks!

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
The SSV have been on the shelf for awhile, and I'm thinking maybe it's time to mod to see if I can get them back in rotation. After ball vapes, the SSV isn't doing much for me these days, so fingers crossed I can find a way to update to fit my current line up.
Rubies, enhancement tube, or both?

Gnome34

The SSV have been on the shelf for awhile, and I'm thinking maybe it's time to mod to see if I can get them back in rotation. After ball vapes, the SSV isn't doing much for me these days, so fingers crossed I can find a way to update to fit my current line up.
I don't recommend the enhancement tube 7th floor sells. Made no noticeable difference and rubbed a circle of ceramic off of the heater.

Haven't tried adding balls/rubies but have heard great things from those that have.

StoneyBeached

No to the enhancement tube. Noticeable downgrade from just the stock setup IMO. I am going to add rubies at some point, I also bought a ddave mod that I haven't opened and tried out yet.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I don't recommend the enhancement tube 7th floor sells. Made no noticeable difference and rubbed a circle of ceramic off of the heater.

Haven't tried adding balls/rubies but have heard great things from those that have.
No to the enhancement tube. Noticeable downgrade from just the stock setup IMO. I am going to add rubies at some point, I also bought a ddave mod that I haven't opened and tried out yet.
Thank you.
I'm going no on the enhancement tube, maybe with rubies.
Which ddave mod, @StoneyBeached ?

Madri-Gal,

StoneyBeached

Thank you.
I'm going no on the enhancement tube, maybe with rubies.
Which ddave mod, @StoneyBeached ?
I bought a cheap $10 18mm (I think) wand with screens that bring the herb closer to the heating element. I haven't tried it yet but I already bought the standard gog wand and used some tinymight2 rimmed basket screens to basically get the same effect. It hits harder but combustion is very easy. I will try the ddave and report back when I get a chance.

I'd link a pic but no idea 😂

DDave 18mm
Custom Wand & Basket Screens

Last edited:

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I bought a cheap $10 18mm (I think) wand with screens that bring the herb closer to the heating element. I haven't tried it yet but I already bought the standard gog wand and used some tinymight2 rimmed basket screens to basically get the same effect. It hits harder but combustion is very easy. I will try the ddave and report back when I get a chance.
Went to ddavemods the other day to see what was new, and ended up with an order on the way. Not sure what all is in it, but I know it will be good.
I like the versatility, and being able to use the mods on various vapes. For sure I'll use the 18mm wand if I run the SSV again.

StoneyBeached

Went to ddavemods the other day to see what was new, and ended up with an order on the way. Not sure what all is in it, but I know it will be good.
I like the versatility, and being able to use the mods on various vapes. For sure I'll use the 18mm wand if I run the SSV again.
Nice. It did take a few weeks for it to ship, maybe because it was low $. I originally tried to reach out to him to buy the larger kit and had a few questions but never heard back. So I went the cheap route instead

SquirrelMaster

I have 3mm borosilicate balls and they work well, so I imagine ruby would be a step up. I had 4mm boro previously and going to 3mm boro was a noticeable jump in performance. I still have some 3mm ruby left over from a CH order that I'll have to try. I might not have quite enough so we'll see.

I had not heard positive reports on the enhancement tube when it had released. It was a good attempt by Elev8r to increase performance without liabilty but it doesn't compete with increased surface area of balls.

Safety wise there is definitely some danger with balls if the retaining screen is not secure. That's my only caveat. Troy (420vapezone) de-modded his iirc after some balls came loose.
If you secure the balls well from the get go and check on it regularly (especially when heated soaked for a long time i.e. balls expanded the most they ever will) I don't see any issue.

coolbreeze

I tried the heater enhancer in my DBV, didn't do much. I added a screen in the intake and filled just the neck with rubies and I get bigger hits at cooler temps now. My understanding is that the mod works really well with the SSV. I've seen a number of people say it's more powerful than any ball vape. But I think that power at low temps is the real killer feature, especially if you like to do direct hits.

With the half-mod and a basket screen in the standard DBV wand I get full vapor production at like 10-11 o'clock, no unevenness or scorching. It's much tastier because of the low temps, but as productive as it was at 1:00 or so.

Flow

I use a cutted bong-downstem as a sleeve on the heater rod. No damage on the rod at all !
It enhance low and terppy hits !
I use a glass ground heater and a 18.8 stem with a rimmed basket.
On the other end of the whip, i have a small "dabbing bubbbler" that i use dry
it's so smooth and cool that i often sneeze but nearly-never cough ^^ (except, maybe for the "Mother of all rips" draws ^^)

coolbreeze

It would be nice to get one updated a bit as they aren't getting much love now.
Which is kind of a shame because they're sort of like ball vapes: they will always be powerful enough and they're so solid they will last a lifetime. I think it's the whip. Some people are not bothered by the whip--or prefer it--and some just can't abide it. I have seen comments suggesting this or that problem but my experience has been nothing but full, even roasting and great taste. The only real issue I've had to accommodate is the need to grind rougher so the air still flows after stirring.

To be honest the only real upgrade they need would be heater covers built for the mod. The extra heated surface area would allow for better production at lower temps, keeping flavor as intact as possible. A direct-hit wand designed for the DBV would be nice as well.

Edit: @Madri-Gal, I see now that you meant your own SSV, sorry. I'm not sure how exactly the SSV cover is different from the DBV but it would be important to fill it enough so that the balls are capable of holding and maintaining heat, rather than simply pulling heat away from the heater. I've read that more than two or three balls away from the heater and they're pulling heat out. If I had underfilled the DBV neck, I worried that the lower balls would be pulling heat out.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

I swapped out my 3mm boro with 3mm ruby. I had been reading back through the thread and came across a post from Elev8r that had recommended against the use of boro, because of the possibility of the glass fusing to the heater. On my SSV, with the heater never exceeding "noon", I have had no issues with either 3mm or 4mm quality boro.

Switching to ruby provided another very slight step up in performance. I was just past 11 o'clock on my dial and I was able to turn it down a smidge, while retaining the same extraction power. I do like the visual indicator of the rubies going dark when heat soaked, but I always preheat my SSV anyways so it's not a huge advantage.

It's been really nice having the SSV out this week.

Which is kind of a shame because they're sort of like ball vapes: they will always be powerful enough and they're so solid they will last a lifetime. I think it's the whip. Some people are not bothered by the whip--or prefer it--and some just can't abide it. I have seen comments suggesting this or that problem but my experience has been nothing but full, even roasting and great taste. The only real issue I've had to accommodate is the need to grind rougher so the air still flows after stirring.

To be honest the only real upgrade they need would be heater covers built for the mod. The extra heated surface area would allow for better production at lower temps, keeping flavor as intact as possible. A direct-hit wand designed for the DBV would be nice as well.
I think the whip plays a part. The Hybrid is popular (afaik) with its whip but it also has bags, and costs considerably more. A Super Surfer would be a better comparison. S&B is more mainstream as well. An SSV with custom glass is a much better choice imo (unless you're clumsy). I'm rambling now but my modded SSV hits just as hard as any other ball vape and tastes phenomenal.

I've always wanted to try one of these wands for a full glass airpath. Not that I have any issues with the whips; variety is the spice of life.

glass-23__35039.1679684145.jpg

I spoke with Jeff from Elev8r about a custom glass setup (wand, mouthpiece, wpa, knob and the above piece)for my SSV and he had some really good ideas. We talked about inside out glass blowing which brings me back to my teenage stoner years where my appreciation for glass blowing took root.

Kimosabe

Educator/Cannabis Evangelist
I hadn't pulled out my balled up SSV in a long while so I just cleaned it up and had a nice Sunday, migraine relief session.

I really love this vape. It's a beauty. Tastes phenomenal. Smooth as fuck through a bubbler. Did I mention how good it looks :lol:. I had just finished a Hybrid session with my bags through water and going to the SSV (with the same glass) was a level up for flavor and vapor quality. It's top 3 imo.

My SSV sat in a shop for nearly a decade before I bought it lol. It was a gem of a find and works beautifully. I just pulled out the original document that came with everything while doing a clean up, as well a sweet SSV sticker that I slapped on my vape cupboard. I should give it a nice glass upgrade for 420 as it's going to be back in rotation for the foreseeable future.
I HAVE THIS VAPE IN Van Gogh's Starry Night. I use it with a Ti wand I bought from DDave.
https://www.ddavemods.com/store/p126/The_Omega_Vaporizer_Wand_&_Mod_Kits_(Arizer,_7th_Floor,_RBT,_ModPod,_&_more...).html

The issue with the SSV is temp control. You set the dial and remember what worked best. Problem is, with no digital or indicator feedback, the tendency is to crank up the ceramic heat. The problem is a thermal delay and time to heat the herb.

Rather than hang a foot of glass on this item, surely I would break it day one, the DDave solution is totally unbreakable. It holds the load near the heater in a small basket.

cosmetic seconds on the SSV are on eBay for $200 direct from Elev8r in silver for a few $ less.
the Omega wand:
https://www.ddavemods.com/store/p126/The_Omega_Vaporizer_Wand_&_Mod_Kits_(Arizer,_7th_Floor,_RBT,_ModPod,_&_more...).html

cheers!

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

I HAVE THIS VAPE IN Van Gogh's Starry Night. I use it with a Ti wand I bought from DDave.

The issue with the SSV is temp control. You set the dial and remember what worked best. Problem is, with no digital or indicator feedback, the tendency is to crank up the ceramic heat. The problem is a thermal delay and time to heat the herb.

Rather than hang a foot of glass on this item, surely I would break it day one, the DDave solution is totally unbreakable. It holds the load near the heater in a small basket.

cosmetic seconds on the SSV are on eBay for $200 direct from Elev8r in silver for a few $ less.
the Omega wand:

cheers!
I like to think the temp control on the SSV is as manual as it gets. If I need to back off I just hold my wand a little loose so extra air can get in, or take shorter puffs. Metal is nice a durable for sure but I really prefer glass. The flavor is always tainted with metal imo, and I like the artistic aspect of the glass accessories. I'm glad there's options for everyone.

I loaded my wand up last night, stirring between every hit, and it was fantastic. Every night this week has been the Cricket, then alternating Proxy and SSV. It's been a good week lol.

Elev8r is having a bunch of sales for 420 of anyone is looking for an SSV.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Top Bottom