xxxscottyxxx

Maybe try my EQ screen mod. I'm pulling hits so thick that it makes me cough, even with .01 g.

Hey Tweak, Been meaning to try out that mod of yours since i first saw it on here but never got round to it, Im going to stop being lazy and make a point of trying this weekend but just wanted to ask you a couple of questions please: Have you removed the normal screen at the bottom of the wand and just using the modded EQ screen, It does look like it but couldnt quite tell from the pics, Also i dont have a standard wand / heater cover like you, I have spherical ground glass, Have you tried it with that set up at all? Im guessing it shouldnt really make that much difference but just wondered if you (or anybody else) has any experience with that set up. Cheers

xxxscottyxxx,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Have you removed the normal screen at the bottom of the wand and just using the modded EQ screen

Hey Scotty. Glad to see you wanting to try, :clap:. Hopefully you will see the same results that I did. Please post or pm me with results, I'd love to hear or help.

I leave both screens. The second screen prevents the EQ screen from falling back too far into the wand where it would lose its concave shape. It might work differently in the SGG wand though.

I have spherical ground glass, Have you tried it with that set up at all?

dsc3411rw.jpg

Sadly my SGG HC broke and while I loved the SGG, the HC is just too much $$. So while it does fit, I'm not sure how the results would be. It looks like it would cut at least half of the load and still produce the same vapor output.

Tweak,
Reactions: Paradox

xxxscottyxxx

Hey Scotty. Glad to see you wanting to try, :clap:. Hopefully you will see the same results that I did. Please post or pm me with results, I'd love to hear or help.

I leave both screens. The second screen prevents the EQ screen from falling back too far into the wand where it would lose its concave shape. It might work differently in the SGG wand though.

dsc3411rw.jpg

Sadly my SGG HC broke and while I loved the SGG, the HC is just too much $$. So while it does fit, I'm not sure how the results would be. It looks like it would cut at least half of the load and still produce the same vapor output.

Cheers Tweak, I will give it a go the weekend and post back with the results, I like to try new things as you never know what you may be missing out on if you dont give different things a try. On the subject of trying new approaches you say you used to have a SGG set up and now you have standard, Ive had my SSV for about 6 or 7 months now and as it was one of the "wave Rider" editions it automatically came with the SGG, I really like it and think it works very well but as you have experience with both would you recommend giving the standard a go? I have looked into the differences but wasnt really sure if it was worth the extra layout for the wand & HC if it really doesnt make much difference but would be willing to if it creates a different experience. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject. Cheers

xxxscottyxxx,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject. Cheers

I'm a big fan of the SGG, I adored mine. My wand had a huge chamber, was so easy to stir without spilling the contents, was so easy to mate to the HC (I have to concentrate with the standard as I find myself slipping from making contact half way through a draw), and had the best flavor of all 3 of my wands. The standard wand has a much more narrow air output that IMO results in a stronger hit but a less evenly cooked taste. You can tell with the first hit from the standard, the center is darker than the rest with the outside being still green. Nothing a little stir can't fix.

I recommend picking a standard up for the simple fact that it is a different experience and you should really have a backup, in case your SGG wand or HC would break. That would be a long week waiting for glass bits with no SSV to use, :(. And for the price of just the SGG HC, you can pick up a standard wand and HC. Throw in another standard wand so you can have two laying around, in case one needs cleaned or just wand to let a friend use there own wand, :brow:.

Tweak,

xxxscottyxxx

Thanks for the info Tweak, Its definitely something im going to try, Even if i still prefer the SGG its still good to have a back up as you suggest which was exactly my train of thought all along as it would be horrible seeing my SSV just sat there looking at me and not being able to hit it!:lol:

I quit combusting just over a year ago now and tried a few other vapes before getting the SSV, All the other vapes i tried i liked but i just love the way the SSV has so much variation and different things to try or attachments to add, They really do make every experience different, So glad i decided to buy one and give it ago, Also really glad i found this website, I read the whole thread before finally laying down the cash and learned loads about it and things you can do with it, There are loads of really friendly and helpful people on here willing to share their wisdom so cheers to a really great community!

Fresh_Baked

Honestly, after all of these months with my SSV, I am still unsure of where I want to keep the knob at.

I am looking for the perfect combo of taste x big clouds through my bubbler x doesn't make the bud brown right away and lasts a while.

I went through at least 2 grams trying to figure it out last night and ended up greening out right after a late night snack haha.

What is everyone's sweet spot, specifically maybe for small water pieces?

I was using a large straight tube for a while but now I'm using a fairly small Zach Puchowitz Vapor Bubbler and the change has made me question my vaping habits. Ha.

Fresh_Baked,

Vitolo

Vaporist
My SSV stays at 1:00 to 1:30 on the dial.
That is where I have put it for years.
DSC01150.jpg

That may be because I ALWAYS have the aroma top on.
I noticed with it off, I prefer 2:00 on the dial.
......on a side note...
here is a shot in high speed of essential oil (lemon) being volatized.
DSC01147.jpg

What do I need to use the SSV with water? Do I need an adapter? This has me confused
you need only an adapter to take the place of your mouthpiece... so your hose can sit nicely in a bong.... Some folks just remove mouthpiece and stick the hose into a downstem!

Vitolo,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
My SSV stays at 1:00 to 1:30 on the dial.
That is where I have put it for years.
That may be because I ALWAYS have the aroma top on.
I noticed with it off, I prefer 2:00 on the dial.

X2, I use my dish like that, and at the same marks on the dial.

It's like our SSVs are synchronized :cheers:

grokit,
Reactions: Vitolo

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
Mine ranges from 11-1.30 depending on whether I'm vaping for terpenes or effect, concentrates get the high end of the spectrum. Always through a water pipe, somehow more satisfying.
Mentioned in another thread that I discovered increased draw speed in combination with temps above 12 led to me needing to stir each load less frequently.
One thing I did was shortened the whip to about 25 cm, I find it hits a bit harder and there seems to be less re-condensation, my next point is possibly the explanation for this.
Saw the video with the guy vacuuming his herb up with the wand, did the same until I shortened the whip. First time I tried I got a reasonable number of trichomes coating the inside of my mouth, realised this had been happening the whole time, was just getting caught in the build up in the long whip so I didn't notice. Now I gently pack the coarse bits that my space case spits out first, then layer the myriad of trichomes at the bottom of the bowl on top. This probably wouldn't be problematic if your herb isn't too trichy, or if it's not cured as well as it should be..

Oscar_Milde,

Fresh_Baked

Mine ranges from 11-1.30 depending on whether I'm vaping for terpenes or effect, concentrates get the high end of the spectrum. Always through a water pipe, somehow more satisfying.
Mentioned in another thread that I discovered increased draw speed in combination with temps above 12 led to me needing to stir each load less frequently.
One thing I did was shortened the whip to about 25 cm, I find it hits a bit harder and there seems to be less re-condensation, my next point is possibly the explanation for this.
Saw the video with the guy vacuuming his herb up with the wand, did the same until I shortened the whip. First time I tried I got a reasonable number of trichomes coating the inside of my mouth, realised this had been happening the whole time, was just getting caught in the build up in the long whip so I didn't notice. Now I gently pack the coarse bits that my space case spits out first, then layer the myriad of trichomes at the bottom of the bowl on top. This probably wouldn't be problematic if your herb isn't too trichy, or if it's not cured as well as it should be..

Ahhh yes, I experienced this myself when I shortened my whip. I kept getting pissed and changing screens until I realized what was going on. That's when I realized how dumb it was to toss all of my wand hash beforehand haha. When I collect wand hash there's usually some goodies in the part of the tube that goes right in to the wand. I mean, there's goodies all over the hose, but those are the easiest to reach.

I had to make my whip longer because I have to have it sticking straight out of my bubblers and when it was shorter it would bend in a way that would cut off a lot of air flow.

BranFlakes188

I just upgraded my standard glass vong setup to SGG and wow, what a difference! I combusted quite a few times with the standard because the air path out of the heater cover was too small -- even when rotating I would vape unevenly (stirring every hit was a necessity). Now the hits are far more predictable/evenly-vaped with all the rotational benefits of the standard the GG's wider HC opening. It even fits the same hands-free kit after bending the arms a little bit (I like a loose HF kit as putting wands down on tables, etc seems to be the best way to break them).

I should clarify that the problem of uneven vaping only occurred when I connected my percolator ice bong to the SSV. Prior whip vaping was excellent with the standard, I assume because my hits were smaller/faster overall (I actually prefer the standard to the SGG in that dimension -- you don't have to listen to any GG scraping noises). However, something to do with the extra drag and manner of hitting a bong was just too much for the little hole on the standard HC.

TLDR: SGG is great when vaping with a bong. Would recommend it to anyone finding their material to be a bit unevenly vaped with the standard.

BranFlakes188,

C-weed

I get amazing results with a standard heater/wand set up by turning mine allll the way up.I just barely cover the screen with herb and draw as slow as possible...no combust and plooms of vape. just my method tho.....

BranFlakes188

I get amazing results with a standard heater/wand set up by turning mine allll the way up.I just barely cover the screen with herb and draw as slow as possible...no combust and plooms of vape. just my method tho.....
Is that with a water tool of some kind?

BranFlakes188,

C-weed

no water tool...super smooth without it. but you can only cover the screen. the lack of air restriction allows the high temp without combust...to allow very thorough extraction.deep brown ..no black.

C-weed,
Reactions: grokit

BranFlakes188

Cool I'll have to try that when I go back to the whip action. I'm always looking for ways to pack less herb while still getting good hits.

BranFlakes188,

C-weed

fresh toke every time....only way i hit this thing now...had it five years. love it.

C-weed,

Fresh_Baked

Yikes. I was bored last night so I dug out my spherical wand and heater cover, and put it on my SSV.

Maybe I was just doing something wrong, but the hits I was getting were FAR less cloudly.

Also, the spherical glass seemed to have a more dry, airy pull to it. It makes me cough a lot more because it dries out my mouth and throat more.

I couldn't really stand it and switched back a few hours later.

BranFlakes188

I generally use the standard glass (not GG). I've just recently upgraded to the spherical ground glass. I've never tried the regular ground glass.

Oscar_Milde

Forum Crawler
At first I was dissatisfied with how evenly the standard HC browned my material took about 2 weeks to get accustomed to it, but now that I have my technique down it browns completely evenly and I'm very pleased with the results. Have you noticed any other benefits with your upgrade BranFlakes? Do you consider it to be an upgrade across the board or does it just fit your needs better for some reason?

Last edited:
Oscar_Milde,

BranFlakes188

At first I was dissatisfied with how evenly the standard HC browned my material took about 2 weeks to get accustomed to it, but now that I have my technique down it browns completely evenly and I'm very pleased with the results. Have you noticed any other benefits with your upgrade BranFlakes? Do you consider it to be an upgrade across the board or does it just fit your needs better for some reason?
I'd just say it fits my needs. Like I said before, the standard was great for whip action with the right rotation. The SGG just really seems miles ahead with the high drag from the large perc ice bong I'm currently using. I've ordered a smaller showerhead bubbler which should be arriving Monday and presumably has less drag. It'll be interesting to see how that fares.

grokit

well-worn member
That mirrors my experience, where the SGG was much easier to master than the standard setup.

grokit,

C-weed

opposite for me......i have both standard and spherical....and highly pref the standard. No drag at all...but just my pref.

Top Bottom