Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

biohacker

I have a 19mm GG ruby insert ... I'll weigh it for you later tonight, but right now it's in the house and I'm in the shop :)

Thanks bro! At least I will have good news for you or bad :rofl:In comparison to the baioT... enough of this stuff isn't discussed, because not all rubies are created equally.

biohacker,
Reactions: 510MOD

JCat

Accessory Maker
@biohacker , weight is 40.79ct

DCA6-E7-C0-EBBF-4-D79-8-ECA-D971-F0-CA9-DF4.jpg

biohacker

@510MOD i'm just curious on what scale you're using and how accurate is it? Mine is the Fuzion Tank T-20 and accuracy down to 0.01g with a 20g calibration weight/test included.

510MOD

Manufacturer
I did tell you I prefer the @710Coils insert over the Greek Glass one I have. This kind of helps me realize it may be more than just bias.
@510MOD i'm just curious on what scale you're using and how accurate is it? Mine is the Fuzion Tank T-20 and accuracy down to 0.01g with a 20g calibration weight/test included.
It's a piece of junk that I have had for many years and is accurate only to 0.1g with an american nickel used for 5g calibration!

biohacker

It's a piece of junk that I have had for many years and is accurate only to 0.1g with an american nickel used for 5g calibration!

Haha, okay it's likely your scale inaccuracy because i've weighed all 3 of mine and have several others to weigh in comparison. I also messed up and that 0.01g should be 0.001g. I'd be curious to know what you think of a heavier ruby but if you're using an enail/coil perhaps it doesn't even really matter? Then again it has to because i've had the same ruby on an axial coil and could definitely drop its temp (even though the controller didn't show it).

JCat

Accessory Maker
Haha, okay it's likely your scale inaccuracy because i've weighed all 3 of mine and have several others to weigh in comparison. I also messed up and that 0.01g should be 0.001g. I'd be curious to know what you think of a heavier ruby but if you're using an enail/coil perhaps it doesn't even really matter? Then again it has to because i've had the same ruby on an axial coil and could definitely drop its temp (even though the controller didn't show it).
More mass means less temp drop when you drop your dab on their, regardless of if its on a coil or not.

There are implications when using a coil to the higher mass though ...

1. With the higher mass, when you drop your dab on, the temp drops less
2. With the higher mass, your coil responds slower to the changes (since there is less change, it takes longer to work its way through the ruby, and through the quartz, to the thermocouple on the coil)

So based on these two things, what I've found is, that I'll run my 19mm ruby at about 460F (floor temp). And not use any scripts, but just drop-and-go. With my 23mm ruby, I start w/ a floor temp of about 440F, then I run an up-temp to bring that floor temp up to about 450 before dropping the dab in. (ie. I run an up-temp of 45deg, and then it pauses there for 10sec before dropping back to original temp). I drop my dab in as soon as it hits the set temp of 45deg higher. This results in it maintaining about that 440F floor temp for throughout the dab.

(ie. Different technique for different rubies w/ different sizes and masses ... although size of banger and air gap could be coming into play here as well. I want to pick up a biao.t 24mm ruby to eliminate the air gap from the equation :) )

Edit: This is all just my theories based on observation and experimentation and temp recordings I've taken.

JCat

Accessory Maker
got mine yesterday, 77ct :) Maybe hold off for a minute and let me decide whether i'm going to keep it or sell? lol

And it was shipped much faster from China than my USA deliveries (10 days door to door vs 2-3 weeks).... BaioT must have some serious connects lol.
My last biao.t order took 2 months ... sorta' luck of the draw it seems :)

Most of my orders from the USA have taken 1-2 weeks as of late, just my one order (Hopper IO) sat at the border for a full month.

biohacker

My last biao.t order took 2 months ... sorta' luck of the draw it seems :)

Still worth it for a better ruby for less than half the price! :lol:

Most of my orders from the USA have taken 1-2 weeks as of late

1 week? Thats faster than Vancouver to Toronto and Expresspost standards aren't conveniently being honoured :rofl:Canada Post is literally talking me out of it lol.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Still worth it for a better ruby for less than half the price! :lol:

1 week? Thats faster than Vancouver to Toronto and Expresspost standards aren't conveniently being honoured :rofl:Canada Post is literally talking me out of it lol.
It costs me ~$5 less to send something to Florida vs Toronto, and only generally takes a handful of days longer! :lol:

biohacker

Honestly think i'm going to sell my Terpometer now!

I keep trying to go back to hot drops, but I just can't see any advantage to them?

Bye bye terpometer....and bye bye hot drops... there just is no going back.... this strawpicana banangie 70-149 live hash rosin is just too precious$ to drop flash evaporate all the low temp compounds away! Time for some Modified Grapes! :D

delicatebunting

Sorry to revive an old thread, but a lot of good information in here.

Is the consensus still to buy the most convenient sapphire/ruby available since it's all the same lab-grown?

Quartz Bangers has the 19mm for $80, Greek Glass has the 22mm for $100.

@LesPlenty found these 19/22mm for $45/50 on DHGate, but my last two orders from DHGate took 8+ weeks to arrive.

I ordered from Greek. Order to delivery was under two weeks. 22m outside diameter, 58.10 ct. Using it with a thick-bottom 30mm banger.

It's great, my best dab experience, but it takes forever to heat up. I'm using the torch from my Stache Rio.

I just timed it and boiling point in the sapphire dish was around 1:20. First hit at 1:31. I took six more in the next two minutes then dry q-tipped it. Whispy vapor, not harsh at all. Pretty buzzed off a dab the size of the bigger Nerd candies.

I feel like I'm blowing through butane compared to the 2-3 second torches for most bangers. Should I buy a new/bigger torch? Or a heat gun? Or is there an e-nail solution (I have a Flowerpot)?

delicatebunting,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but a lot of good information in here.

Is the consensus still to buy the most convenient sapphire/ruby available since it's all the same lab-grown?

Quartz Bangers has the 19mm for $80, Greek Glass has the 22mm for $100.

@LesPlenty found these 19/22mm for $45/50 on DHGate, but my last two orders from DHGate took 8+ weeks to arrive.

I ordered from Greek. Order to delivery was under two weeks. 22m outside diameter, 58.10 ct. Using it with a thick-bottom 30mm banger.

It's great, my best dab experience, but it takes forever to heat up. I'm using the torch from my Stache Rio.

I just timed it and boiling point in the sapphire dish was around 1:20. First hit at 1:31. I took six more in the next two minutes then dry q-tipped it. Whispy vapor, not harsh at all. Pretty buzzed off a dab the size of the bigger Nerd candies.

I feel like I'm blowing through butane compared to the 2-3 second torches for most bangers. Should I buy a new/bigger torch? Or a heat gun? Or is there an e-nail solution (I have a Flowerpot)?
Here's a place that has 'em fairly cheap (when in stock). I have never purchased anything from here:

This place is more expensive , but they are in stock and I did purchase a SiC insert (for 25mm) from them that's totally worth the $:

Edit:

Haha, from:
"This is just about as far as you want to go down the dab rabbit hole of premium dab surfaces, unless you are trying to burn through some money as quickly as possible on sapphire. They both can break fairly easily if the proper care and procedures are not followed (see below). If you are accident prone or tend towards carelessness, I highly recommend the SiC banger insert."

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Or is there an e-nail solution (I have a Flowerpot)?
If you have a Flowerpot you are already half way there with the PID controller. For a heater to suit your Flowerpot controller and banger, check out @710Coils thread for help,

delicatebunting

If you have a Flowerpot you are already half way there with the PID controller. For a heater to suit your Flowerpot controller and banger, check out @710Coils thread for help

Picked up their 30mm deep dish axial coil, which I'd have to imagine will fit my 30mm 710 deep dish banger :)

Here's a place that has 'em fairly cheap (when in stock). I have never purchased anything from here:

"This is just about as far as you want to go down the dab rabbit hole of premium dab surfaces, unless you are trying to burn through some money as quickly as possible on sapphire. They both can break fairly easily if the proper care and procedures are not followed (see below). If you are accident prone or tend towards carelessness, I highly recommend the SiC banger insert."

That's a great price if/when they come in-stock. Wasn't a fan of the SiC banger on the VROD, much prefer the ruby insert.

delicatebunting

Did you get in touch with Shane first? Newvape had some PID controllers made to their own wiring so peeps would have to deal through them, aholes for sure!
Unless that's new, I haven't heard the nefarious part.

There are two XLR pinouts, but NewVape, 710, Disorderly Conduction, etc. all use the same (ground on 5).

The other pinout has ground on 3 (Dabbing Warehouse, HighFive, etc.)

I prefer ground on 5, it seems more common. HighFive sells an adapter for $20 - https://highfivevape.com/universal-coil-adapter.html

delicatebunting,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Unless that's new, I haven't heard the nefarious part.

There are two XLR pinouts, but NewVape, 710, Disorderly Conduction, etc. all use the same (ground on 5).

The other pinout has ground on 3 (Dabbing Warehouse, HighFive, etc.)

I prefer ground on 5, it seems mor1e common. HighFive sells an adapter for $20 - https://highfivevape.com/universal-coil-adapter.html
I believe NV for a long while had only offered the less common pinout with their controller, and is probably what @LesPlenty is referring to... could be wrong tho ... :hmm: :smug:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Do the different colours of sapphire affect the taste?
I can spot a difference between SiC pearls, quartz and ruby pearls in a quartz "banger".
I prefer the rubys.
Is it worth trying out other sapphire colours ? Shouldn't clear sapphire give the most untainted taste, maybe?
I would like to make up my mind before getting an insert, if ever.

Top Bottom