Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Do the different colours of sapphire affect the taste?

I'll go out on a limb and say yes, but with the preface that I consider myself quite sensitive, and unless sampled side by side, I doubt others would notice much of a difference. But I have red, white, and blue inserts so I can comment on them a bit.

I feel the blue sapphire edges the others out slightly, I can see the difference in nucleate boiling. I believe this is mostly due to thermal emissivity, as in, darker colors are better at emitting radiant heat. The same reason why a black t shirt feels hotter than a white shirt in direct sunlight.

As far as color affecting taste - colorant in synthetic gemstone is achieved with trace amounts of minerals, typically less than 1% of the composition by weight.

I have to note that I find the experience between a gem insert and terp pearls to be totally different. I pretty much never use pearls when dabbing, maybe if I'm going straight off Quartz, but I rarely pair with my sapphire inserts. I'd like to say the pearls help give an idea of how an insert will perform, but truthfully there's a big improvement with the insert IMHO.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I feel the blue sapphire edges the others out slightly, I can see the difference in nucleate boiling. I believe this is mostly due to thermal emissivity, as in, darker colors are better at emitting radiant heat. The same reason why a black t shirt feels hotter than a white shirt in direct sunlight.

As far as color affecting taste - colorant in synthetic gemstone is achieved with trace amounts of minerals, typically less than 1% of the composition by weight.

I have to note that I find the experience between a gem insert and terp pearls to be totally different. I pretty much never use pearls when dabbing, maybe if I'm going straight off Quartz, but I rarely pair with my sapphire inserts. I'd like to say the pearls help give an idea of how an insert will perform, but truthfully there's a big improvement with the insert IMHO.
Comes handy as I like blue anyway :lol:.

For taste and smells less than 1% can be a world.

I love that you share your experiences

DVision44

Sorry to revive an old thread, but a lot of good information in here.

Is the consensus still to buy the most convenient sapphire/ruby available since it's all the same lab-grown?

Quartz Bangers has the 19mm for $80, Greek Glass has the 22mm for $100.

@LesPlenty found these 19/22mm for $45/50 on DHGate, but my last two orders from DHGate took 8+ weeks to arrive.

I ordered from Greek. Order to delivery was under two weeks. 22m outside diameter, 58.10 ct. Using it with a thick-bottom 30mm banger.

It's great, my best dab experience, but it takes forever to heat up. I'm using the torch from my Stache Rio.

I just timed it and boiling point in the sapphire dish was around 1:20. First hit at 1:31. I took six more in the next two minutes then dry q-tipped it. Whispy vapor, not harsh at all. Pretty buzzed off a dab the size of the bigger Nerd candies.

I feel like I'm blowing through butane compared to the 2-3 second torches for most bangers. Should I buy a new/bigger torch? Or a heat gun? Or is there an e-nail solution (I have a Flowerpot)?

They have in stock and ship fast in the US

delicatebunting

They have in stock and ship fast in the US

That's a really good price.

The 30mm axial coil from 710 arrived today (can't recommend 710 enough) and this is definitively endgame. Fool-proof, easy, consistent. And yet, I almost miss the temperature curve of the butane torch.

I've got the Auber set to 480 and let it heat soak for a bit. I get good flavor and whispy warm vapor for 3-4 draws. No more cold-starts, just low-temp sessions.

biohacker

Anybody see anything wrong here? lol​

Quartz Dish for Dabs​

The quartz dish insert is the key to super-low temp dabs. Heat up your banger and then drop this dish in with a preloaded dab for a tasty cold start. Or heat the dish in the banger for a long retention time that lets you take slow and smooth dabs.

Specs:​

• Quartz dish insert
  • Use for low temp dabs
  • Ruby quartz
  • 19mm diameter

DVision44

That's a really good price.

The 30mm axial coil from 710 arrived today (can't recommend 710 enough) and this is definitively endgame. Fool-proof, easy, consistent. And yet, I almost miss the temperature curve of the butane torch.

I've got the Auber set to 480 and let it heat soak for a bit. I get good flavor and whispy warm vapor for 3-4 draws. No more cold-starts, just low-temp sessions.
If you want to replicate the Temp curve drop a quartz insert in (droptek) and when you see vapor turn off your enail...

Anybody see anything wrong here? lol​

Quartz Dish for Dabs​

The quartz dish insert is the key to super-low temp dabs. Heat up your banger and then drop this dish in with a preloaded dab for a tasty cold start. Or heat the dish in the banger for a long retention time that lets you take slow and smooth dabs.

Specs:​

• Quartz dish insert
  • Use for low temp dabs
  • Ruby quartz
  • 19mm diameter
Lol... that's that websites HORRIBLE description. Bear Quartz kept the description short and sweet...

I have it... also have a sapphire from Constant. The Bear Quartz ruby is legit

Last edited:
DVision44,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

If you want to replicate the Temp curve drop a quartz insert in (droptek) and when you see vapor turn off your enail...

How long does that take? 5 mins? It's been a while since I played with quartz inserts and droptek on a coil but my conclusion was that it basically wasn't possible. Takes 30s with my Blazer and ruby insert though, non drop tek of course.
I have it... also have a sapphire from Constant. The Bear Quartz ruby is legit

Do you do droptek with your Sapphire? What about your Ruby?

delicatebunting

Since it was cold-start, I actually enjoyed the whole curve on the way up (deep-dish quartz banger still heating up ruby insert), the peak (usually the least enjoyable), then the race down.

But the convenience of the enail is unmatched.

delicatebunting,
Reactions: DVision44

DVision44

How long does that take? 5 mins? It's been a while since I played with quartz inserts and droptek on a coil but my conclusion was that it basically wasn't possible. Takes 30s with my Blazer and ruby insert though, non drop tek of course.

Do you do droptek with your Sapphire? What about your Ruby?
I've dropteked the Ruby a few times.. not the sapphire. No issues. I was recently gifted an insert labeled as a drop in sapphire insert which is quartz with a blue sapphire bottom. I haven't tried it though as it's for a 30mm banger and I only use 25mm. I may just sell it..

As far as dropek on the enail it works good for me. Had to play with temp adjustments and it takes extra time for the insert to absorb the heat but once it does I would get the full flavor profile.

Having said that.. I recently purchased a TemperTerp and have gone back to my torch..

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Did you get the dual sensor TemperTerp?

I've been on the fence between TemperTerp and DabRite.
The decay feature on the TemperTerp is pretty fucking sweet.

FlyingLow,

DVision44

Did you get the dual sensor TemperTerp?

I've been on the fence between TemperTerp and DabRite.
The decay feature on the TemperTerp is pretty fucking sweet.
I did.... well sort of. I bought the Infrared and then bought the Touch sensor separately. (It's $25 cheaper this way).

It was the decay feature that attracted me as well. A few seconds of calculation then you can set it aside and just wait for the beep. It's pretty sweet!

DVision44,

biohacker

@DVision44 do you not enjoy cold starts with your gemstones? I ended up selling my Terpometer after I discovered that just 30s with the Blazer created the most incredible uptemp ruby dabs. I find that hot drops destroy more terps and effects flavour/taste/smoothness. And I guess less gear just appeases my minimalistic lifestyle. The guy that sells those temperterp's is a great guy though, looks like a really dope product.

DVision44

@DVision44 do you not enjoy cold starts with your gemstones? I ended up selling my Terpometer after I discovered that just 30s with the Blazer created the most incredible uptemp ruby dabs. I find that hot drops destroy more terps and effects flavour/taste/smoothness. And I guess less gear just appeases my minimalistic lifestyle. The guy that sells those temperterp's is a great guy though, looks like a really dope product.
I actually do... I'm kinda ridiculous when it comes to new things and despite this being the year from hell it's been good to my portfolio so I have some money to blow. The TemperTerp was just intriguing do to the internals (not a fan of 3D printing) so I had to check it out. It's definitely not a necessity as counting and the trusty hand tech has worked for me up to this point but it's simple and works well.

I go back and forth but in the evening when I'm trying to relax it's not as much about flavor as it is about just getting medicated. I'm a T3 para and have severe chronic pain and spasm issues. I can't get comfortable in my chair or my bed so I have to be in the clouds.

DVision44,
Reactions: biohacker

staircase slight of hand

Anyone know of any reputable vendors with 25mm ruby/sapphire inserts in stock? All of the usual mid-price vendors that I’m aware of (i.e. not D-nail) seem to be sold out. I’m hoping for something of good quality and <$150.

biohacker

Anyone know of any reputable vendors with 25mm ruby/sapphire inserts in stock? All of the usual mid-price vendors that I’m aware of (i.e. not D-nail) seem to be sold out. I’m hoping for something of good quality and <$150.

I have been over the moon with my Baio Tang 19mm OD ruby inserts for $40. I have 3 of them in rotation and I sold another one to @JCat which i'm sure is happy with it? Previous to these I was using some popular ones that were quite thin/light in comparison to these Baio.T inserts and I had 3 of them crack on me from normal usage.

You can order from Biao on IG or I believe he is MLGlass on dhgate. All those $150 gemstones have great aesthetics, but lots are lighter and less ct than a Biao.T. I've had Greek Glass, 710Coils, and d-nail white sapphire for comparison. Prefer Biao over all of them (except maybe the D-nail, because it was so pretty, but also in a weird size that would never fit properly - i'm anal and NEED that textbook 1mm gap lol)

Even after several years, I still can't get over how impeccable a gemstone dab can be! Spoiled times! lol

Enialis

Should I get a ruby or sapphire insert as my first gemstone? I like my ruby pearls in my erig and sic insert and want one for when I get my enail situation sorted out and jcats done building one for me so I want to have everything ready ahead oh time but I don't know where to start.

Unless someone has a different recommendation I was going to buy it through 710coils. Since it was my first one I was planning on getting a plain one instead of faceted but they don't have plain sapphire. Does it really matter?

Part of me says go all ruby since I haven't seen sapphire pearls but then it seems like everyone has switched to sapphire, but other than vague anecdotes of it tasting better im not sure what the differences are. The one big thing I can think of is that it doesn't turn black like ruby does when it's hot so it might be easier to keep clean.

Any thoughts? I want to get everything bought soon so that I'm done with my purchases for awhile and anything else will be a side grade unless tech drastically changes.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Greek Glass has sapphire pearls.
In my limited experience the sapphire pearl was more difficult to clean in situ but when dropped in DC after it cooled, cleaned itself easily after a while.

Last edited:
Thick Vape,

biohacker

Greek Glass has sapphire pearls.

Greek Glass can wipe my ass! NEVER AGAIN holy shit those guys have their heads stuck up their own asses hard! And this is the THIRD chance i've given them (the other ones are well documented somewhere around these parts lol) Complete and utter incompetence and terrible CS that hasn't improved in years now. Lesson learned (for the third time).

Fortunately we have outstanding over and above CS from 710Coils which I will never stray from again for my quartz needs!

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Part of me says go all ruby since I haven't seen sapphire pearls but then it seems like everyone has switched to sapphire, but other than vague anecdotes of it tasting better im not sure what the differences are. The one big thing I can think of is that it doesn't turn black like ruby does when it's hot so it might be easier to keep clean.

Any thoughts? I want to get everything bought soon so that I'm done with my purchases for awhile and anything else will be a side grade unless tech drastically changes.
The turning black of the ruby is very handy with torch heating etc. because it roughly shows the temperature.

Now I think the ease of keeping clean has more to do with how well the ruby/sapphire is polished and if there are edges or rounded corners and so.

Fortunately we have outstanding over and above CS from 710Coils which I will never stray from again for my quartz needs!
Nice to see you around here again.:wave:

I personally did get my couple pearls without a problem, after quite some wait, from GG, seems I got lucky. But I only can agree. 710Coils CS is outstanding, indeed.

biohacker

This is a pretty sweet deal! It's 18.5mm and i've heard conflicting news regarding whether it would expand and break in a 3mm wall banger! Perhaps it would be ok for cold starts but not for torching clean for several minutes? I used a 18.5mm d-nail sapphire in my 2.5mm wall 710coils banger and HATED the 0.5mm smaller size due to wiggle/movement especially while q-tipping.

If 3mm walls are fine for the 18.5mm, that would be even more of a textbook fit, and possibly even better heating physics, especially with a 4 or 5mm puck.

I think I need sapphire back in my life, ruby HIDES way too much! lol

Top Bottom