Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That is interesting.
I tend to have a real difficult time beating 10-12% when I am in the 50's or below.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: arb

Okla68

A good friend has loaned me his 10 Ton DabPress !
I have made 8 presses from 3.5 gms to 7 gms
ALL with a return of 20+%, up to 25%. Usually pressing Cylinder pucks, 190°F, 75 to 90 Seconds, 120-160 micron bags.
As stated above, if I got less than 18% return I wouldn't waste my flower !
Pics are of White Hot Guava....and Yes, it is as strong as its name states !

Attachments

• 20201117_112908.jpg
    20201117_112908.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201117_114309.jpg
    20201117_114309.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 15

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
When I first started pressing I was a huge stickler for never pressing anything besides well hydrated herb. At the time, people weren't really sure how the mechanics of rosin truly worked, theories circulated, such as small scale "steam distillation" taking place between the plates, etc. which made RH seem like an important variable.

After seeing dried out ditch weed yield more than frosty, sparkly exotics, I stopped caring so much about moisture content, as I noticed a lot of the yield increases people would note are almost directly proportional to their relative humidity percentage. Add 5% more RH, and like magic, the yield goes up around 5%.

People had experimented with a whole range of humidities trying to correlate a connection with the ideal RH - the problem with these tests is they can't account for the natural variation in trichome density across different parts of the plant. Some buds already have more resin on them than others from the exact same plant, variations in rosin yield would be claimed to be due to moisture, but due to natural yield differences, would be hard to prove.

Okla68

When I first started pressing I was a huge stickler for never pressing anything besides well hydrated herb. At the time, people weren't really sure how the mechanics of rosin truly worked, theories circulated, such as small scale "steam distillation" taking place between the plates, etc. which made RH seem like an important variable.

After seeing dried out ditch weed yield more than frosty, sparkly exotics, I stopped caring so much about moisture content, as I noticed a lot of the yield increases people would note are almost directly proportional to their relative humidity percentage. Add 5% more RH, and like magic, the yield goes up around 5%.

People had experimented with a whole range of humidities trying to correlate a connection with the ideal RH - the problem with these tests is they can't account for the natural variation in trichome density across different parts of the plant. Some buds already have more resin on them than others from the exact same plant, variations in rosin yield would be claimed to be due to moisture, but due to natural yield differences, would be hard to prove.
All of my presses so far have been from Trimmed Bud Only, RH of <62%(humidity packs). Have never tried pressing Trim, although some portions are Trichome covered more than others.
I do a progressive squish, increasing pressure over a one+ minute time. According to pressure gauge topping out at about 4,000 psi.
Still haven't determined why some returns are Sappy and others Tacky while using Same material parameters, time, temp, pressure, strain. Some resulting in PullNSnap, others a Honey like result.
After 7-8 squishes, its Still a Learning experience.

WelshBrok

Just to prove it’s not always g13 :lol:
Silver Buddha haze:
4x ~6-7g pucks (individually) 26g in total.
Pre-pressed 3 pucks and hand packed one :science:
Measured 182.9 f on the plates.
Bottle tech 90 micron bag (1.75”x5” cut down).
5.6g return = 21.54%
C5DA86A8-AF6C-41B1-B0A8-4283F0BE856E.jpeg89552884-0C69-4FEA-88F4-E9931273B8BE.jpeg
So tasty :rockon:

edit: also tried lid on during the freezer part of the cold cure. Will see if that makes a difference although don’t have another press of this strain to compare it to :science:

WelshBrok

@WelshBrok that goo is so yellow it looks like BHO badder!
Unfortunately not quite as clean as bho on the banger even if I am getting much better at avoiding blowouts :lol:. Since converting to basically 100% my own pressed rosin since getting the new press I’m going through globmops at an alarming speed.
Still very tasty, very hazey but with solid ssh flavours and hints of the lemon. Here’s it a little more stable after a bit of time at room temp:
EA11B057-F1AE-4737-974D-7B6042DCB43C.jpeg

also on the humidity discussion, although the more extremes of relative humidity both probably have an adverse effect on yield I definitely think stickyness (I guess having that moisture still contained in the resins of the plant) is far more important than it’s hydration (as far as humidity packs go), and often I try to press as soon as i have the material as time from cure is more important for me than letting it regain hydration over time from
Humidipacks. I do still use the packs if I’m storing flower for any length of time but IME even with the packs you do still lose yield over time (even 1-2 weeks has been measurable for me)

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Unfortunately not quite as clean as bho on the banger even if I am getting much better at avoiding blowouts :lol:. Since converting to basically 100% my own pressed rosin since getting the new press I’m going through globmops at an alarming speed.

Ha I know exactly how that goes burning through swabs, I mostly dab hash rosin these days as it does vape up cleaner. I miss the self sufficiency from when I was pressing nugs though!

WelshBrok

Ha I know exactly how that goes burning through swabs, I mostly dab hash rosin these days as it does vape up cleaner. I miss the self sufficiency from when I was pressing nugs though!
I’d love to move to pressing bubble and Ideally fresh frozen but without a grow or better access over here in U.K. you just end up with really dark traditional hash flavoured dabs. Hopefully one day!

@Baron23 press goals :lol: Unfortunately far too far to collect it here. Can’t believe someone hasn’t snapped it up already tho!

zor

This is a kinda dumb question. I recently received a dab press 10t as a gift and was wondering, what is the minimum amount of flower you can press using a filter bag and still get a 10-15% yield? I know there are tons of variables just with the flower itself (in terms of yield), but I'm thinking more about rosin that gets lost to the filter bag's dead space, or perhaps too small of an amount won't press well (can't imagine why tho). I pressed a gram of Mule Fuel as a quick test and it certainly worked, however the result was very brittle and I gave up trying to weigh it as it was very hard to handle. so I don't know my yield. I'm not trying to be greedy, just curious.

Is there a difference with preparing a cylindrical puck (aka bottle tech) versus pressing flower in a rectangular press? The differences in surface area would suggest to me that cylindrical is best for smaller amounts while rectangular is for larger ones, but I've seen some very tall pucks pressed so don't think that matters.

HighSqueeze

Manufacturer
Rosin presses are not hard to make. Rosin Bags improve the extraction rates. Great paper makes your life a lot easier when collecting.
Press manufactures include: Mean Green Machine, Sasquash, Low Temp Plates, RosinTech, Pure Pressure etc......

Without a doubt, I have found my all time favorite strain to press: Mimosa you rock my world!
Goodday mate, Mimosa, from who?

My thinking will be that the melted oil is going to stick back onto the bud, not the paper.
I haven't seen the video, but in theory it doesn't seem possible to me.
Happy to help problem solve.

HighSqueeze,

MegaMan2k

@HighSqueeze
I usually set my friends up with a basic workshop press and a set of plates, because its cheaper and nothing els is really available here at reasonable prices (eu)

Someone on here mentioned Graveda as a new potential supplier out of Germany.
Just saw on IG they sponsored a press for "Masters of Rosin 2021" So im guessing they are legit.

Do you have any other suggestions than these for those looking to aquire a press in Europe?

HighSqueeze

Manufacturer
There is nothing cheap and good that I have found in the EU.
I would always buy caged plates for a workshop press.
I help people to make their own presses, if that is any help.

HighSqueeze,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Okla68

This is a kinda dumb question. I recently received a dab press 10t as a gift and was wondering, what is the minimum amount of flower you can press using a filter bag and still get a 10-15% yield? I know there are tons of variables just with the flower itself (in terms of yield), but I'm thinking more about rosin that gets lost to the filter bag's dead space, or perhaps too small of an amount won't press well (can't imagine why tho). I pressed a gram of Mule Fuel as a quick test and it certainly worked, however the result was very brittle and I gave up trying to weigh it as it was very hard to handle. so I don't know my yield. I'm not trying to be greedy, just curious.

Is there a difference with preparing a cylindrical puck (aka bottle tech) versus pressing flower in a rectangular press? The differences in surface area would suggest to me that cylindrical is best for smaller amounts while rectangular is for larger ones, but I've seen some very tall pucks pressed so don't think that matters.
I have 10ton Dab Press(borrowed)....have bottle tech squished from 2.0 to 5.0 grams at a time. 9 Different runs. ALWAYS with 20 to 26% return. 170°F to 200°F, 90 to 160 micron bags. If returns were as Low as 10-15%, I Wouldn't waste my Flower or Time !

zor

I have 10ton Dab Press(borrowed)....have bottle tech squished from 2.0 to 5.0 grams at a time. 9 Different runs. ALWAYS with 20 to 26% return. 170°F to 200°F, 90 to 160 micron bags. If returns were as Low as 10-15%, I Wouldn't waste my Flower or Time !
Cool, thanks! I've only done a few presses so far, most recent was 6.84g at 180 in 160u bags. Got an 11% yield from the first press but it tastes fantastic. Too bad there's no quantitative way to control the starting material quality.

Are you counting multiple presses of the same material as part of your total yield?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I test different stuff often, and II also don't do any further runs if only around 10%, just not worth the time/effort.

But I don't turn my head at low returns... I often yield gold at under 20%. My latest Mimosa runs have been 18% and dynamite!
I'm pressing LOW at 179* and also keeping pressure low. I am certain I could squeeze out another 4-5% if I took the bag to its limit.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I test different stuff often, and II also don't do any further runs if only around 10%, just not worth the time/effort.

But I don't turn my head at low returns... I often yield gold at under 20%. My latest Mimosa runs have been 18% and dynamite!
I'm pressing LOW at 179* and also keeping pressure low. I am certain I could squeeze out another 4-5% if I took the bag to its limit.
I do the same temp and lower pressure also.
Seems to produce a clean,tasty product.
😁

Okla68

Cool, thanks! I've only done a few presses so far, most recent was 6.84g at 180 in 160u bags. Got an 11% yield from the first press but it tastes fantastic. Too bad there's no quantitative way to control the starting material quality.

Are you counting multiple presses of the same material as part of your total yield?
Yes, Im counting a 2nd press. It usually Dosent produce more than an additional 1-2 %.

Okla68

Has anyone used Stainless Steel Rosin Press tubes....Reusable, 150 micron is the size they have on hand.
Cut to length, crimp, press, unfold crimp, wash in Solvent(ethanol?), Reuse ???

HighSqueeze

Manufacturer
The smallest size bags we sell are 1"x3" or 1.25"2.5". However I think the extraction rates are better when you get to 1.5"x3.5" bags.

Okla68

The smallest size bags we sell are 1"x3" or 1.25"2.5". However I think the extraction rates are better when you get to 1.5"x3.5" bags.
With the Dab Press package is a Premold Cylinder. It seems to require a 2" diameter bag. Since Im usually pressing 3.5 gms at a time...the 2X4.5 bags allow me to get 2 press's from 1 bag.(cut in half, the 2nd press, I must create my own folded bottom along with the top). I had to replace bags for a press for a neighbor. Could only find 2X3.5 close to my house, so, got those. Too small(short) for a 2nd press using the same tube cut in half. Not Cost Effective !
Using 160 Micron for Flower.

Ill ask Again....
Anyone heard of Stainless Steel press tubes ? Think these were 2×8, 150 Micron. You make your own crimps, top & bottom...SUPPOSEDLY REUSABLE ???
I can see that working for a Flat press, dont know how that would work for a squished cylindrical press, lol.
ANYONE ??

Okla68,
Reactions: arb
Top Bottom