Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Ill ask Again....
Anyone heard of Stainless Steel press tubes ? Think these were 2×8, 150 Micron. You make your own crimps, top & bottom...SUPPOSEDLY REUSABLE ???
I can see that working for a Flat press, dont know how that would work for a squished cylindrical press, lol.
ANYONE ??

Never heard of them, seems like a hassle to me.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
With the Dab Press package is a Premold Cylinder. It seems to require a 2" diameter bag. Since Im usually pressing 3.5 gms at a time...the 2X4.5 bags allow me to get 2 press's from 1 bag.(cut in half, the 2nd press, I must create my own folded bottom along with the top). I had to replace bags for a press for a neighbor. Could only find 2X3.5 close to my house, so, got those. Too small(short) for a 2nd press using the same tube cut in half. Not Cost Effective !
Using 160 Micron for Flower.

Ill ask Again....
Anyone heard of Stainless Steel press tubes ? Think these were 2×8, 150 Micron. You make your own crimps, top & bottom...SUPPOSEDLY REUSABLE ???
I can see that working for a Flat press, dont know how that would work for a squished cylindrical press, lol.
ANYONE ??
I looked at those and mentally could not grasp getting them clean without torching........like actually clean.
🤔

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
With the Dab Press package is a Premold Cylinder. It seems to require a 2" diameter bag. Since Im usually pressing 3.5 gms at a time...the 2X4.5 bags allow me to get 2 press's from 1 bag.(cut in half, the 2nd press, I must create my own folded bottom along with the top). I had to replace bags for a press for a neighbor. Could only find 2X3.5 close to my house, so, got those. Too small(short) for a 2nd press using the same tube cut in half. Not Cost Effective !

Ill ask Again....
ANYONE ??
I get 2" sleeves and cut into sections about 1" wide. No folding top or bottom, just a sleeve around the puck. If you don't go apeshit on the pressure the sleeve will hold just fine.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I get 2" sleeves and cut into sections about 1" wide. No folding top or bottom, just a sleeve around the puck. If you don't go apeshit on the pressure the sleeve will hold just fine.

@bizwaxzion, are you saying that the thickness of the sleeve matches the width of the pre-pressed puck (PPP:))? So there is nothing to fold over?

HighSqueeze

Manufacturer

Ill ask Again....
ANYONE ??
Bottle tech and stainless bags are not compatible. Stainless bag are designed for flat press. Are they re-usable??

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Calling FC rosineers!

So with dabpress unavailable I've decided to give a graveda press a go, the thing is I can't decide which from 2 to go with. I'll only be pressing for myself so I don't need to press very much at a time.

They do a 7 tonne press with a guage for about 400 Euros:

Or they do a 10 tonne press without the guage for 380 Euros:

What would you choose?

WelshBrok

Calling FC rosineers!

So with dabpress unavailable I've decided to give a graveda press a go, the thing is I can't decide which from 2 to go with. I'll only be pressing for myself so I don't need to press very much at a time.

What would you choose?
I’ve never had a gauge so while they aren’t necessary to produce decent rosin, I definitely want one so I can be more accurate.
On 7 tonne vs 10, IMO 7 can easily do 7grams and can do 14g in two bags at the same time (albeit not with the most efficient yield). Personally for my use the gauge is more valuable than the extra 3 tonne (I tend to press up to an oz at a time in 7g bags)

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Neither.

I would build my own. Far better components and more reliable.

I did have a look at these when I was considering all my options.

Tbh, for not much more (or less if you can find 2nd hand press) you could buy a 12t decent press (e.g. Clarke's strong arm). I've seen them 2nd hand on bidding sites for 50£ before.

Make dual pids (this press appears to have a single PID controlling both plates) using 2 decent and replaceable heater cartridges per plate (this one appears to have single heater cartridges per plate).

Buy a decent thermo probe which will travel almost the length of the plate giving much more accurate temp control (graveda uses little screw in ones which hardly penetrate the plate).

It took my couple hours to order the parts and couple hours to put together.

I'm a total novice when it comes to wiring stuff together but this was almost plug and play and there is plenty of info on web to guide you.

Totally understand if DIY is not for you but I wanted to emphasise how easy it was and how much more robust and repairable your press will be once completed if you decided on DIY.

Good luck. I only press for myself and it's great fun and very satisfying.....

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Thanks for that @WelshBrok I figured the guage is more useful, thanks for confirming.

Thanks very much for your opinion @Chicken No Name . Ya know, I am normally a DIY kind of guy. I'm perfectly comfortable wiring PIDs, being a home brewer with temp controlled fermentation chambers, I even have some experience albeit with a different PID. I lack confidence fabricating anything out of metal and have very little experience of that. I don't have an amazing amount of free time at the moment with caring for my poorly other half but if you can reassure me that it is as simple as you make it sound I might give this s go.

Aaargh I thought I had nearly made my mind up 🤣

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Thanks for that @WelshBrok I figured the guage is more useful, thanks for confirming.

Thanks very much for your opinion @Chicken No Name . Ya know, I am normally a DIY kind of guy. I'm perfectly comfortable wiring PIDs, being a home brewer with temp controlled fermentation chambers, I even have some experience albeit with a different PID. I lack confidence fabricating anything out of metal and have very little experience of that. I don't have an amazing amount of free time at the moment with caring for my poorly other half but if you can reassure me that it is as simple as you make it sound I might give this s go.

Aaargh I thought I had nearly made my mind up 🤣
If you are comfortable with basic wiring and pids already then the job is done.

I bought my 3*5*2 inch plates on line (metals4u I think. V reasonable). Bought a scaffold pole foot to fix to the top plate which is then fixed to the press ram.

I took the plates and scaffold foot to an engineering/metal work company and for a few euros they drilled holes in each plate of sufficient width/depth to insert the heater cartridges and thermocouple and to tap holes for bolts to fix scaffold foot to top plate. Took them about 30 mins.

All parts for pids, wiring, switches, cables etc, plates and engineering work cost me about E300 but I bought good quality components. You could source parts for less I guess.

The press I bought is expensive at £300 new. I had no choice as I could not find a small press second hand where I am located but found lots on UK auction sites for about £100 in good condition.

I find the pressure gauge invaluable but once you get the feel one could live without which would bring the price down.
And you could explore much cheaper presses but I didn't want to risk cheap metal under high pressure. But tbh I'm sure the cheap 12t presses will easily handle the 3 to 4 t of pressure I use....

Total cost for me was just shy of E600 but I reckon mine will outlast me and I can change a heater cartridges say in seconds for a few pounds.

And if you have use for it, you have a press for any future projects.....well, that's what I told myself....

Good luck ....

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Calling FC rosineers!

What would you choose?
The 7 tonne unit with the gauge for sure...more than enough for personal use, homemade units have their place but if you got the dollars and limited space, why bother?
This 7-tonne unit looks like a great all-in-one unit that would pack away nicely, my Dabpress is large and awkward to move around.:2c:

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
The bother, in my view, is a better quality and repairable press.

Not knocking the imports, but having made one I can appreciate the much better quality components used which can be easily replaced....
Horses for courses of course.....

arb

Semi shaved ape
004.jpg
008.jpg

Haven't pressed flower for a bit this came out ok I reckon.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Fuck yeah @arb! I bet that vapes nice in a Ti bucket.

My rosin never comes out that light and sugary. Maybe because I've never had much luck in yield below 190F.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Fuck yeah @arb! I bet that vapes nice in a Ti bucket.

My rosin never comes out that light and sugary. Maybe because I've never had much luck in yield below 190F.
That was at 180f and trying to use up some 160 bags.
5 minutes from start of press to end and 19% return.
I only know the % because it was two bags per press and that works best when both have the same amount in them.
Usually I just press kieff anymore as it builds up big time otherwise.
😇

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
To update the thread and you guys I decided that I valued the compact size and caged plates of the graveda press. Thank you very much @Chicken No Name for breaking down your DIY build the way you did, it's given me food for thought she I might attempt a DIY press in the future.

I've got the 7 ton version with the guage on its way to me, and I'm very excited to start learning the art!

I'm ordering bags and a pre press closer to home. Recent chatter, in this thread I think, about bag sizes leads me to think I should go for the smaller sizes, does 25 and 37 micron sound like a good place to start?

If anyone knows of a good resource for beginners please share a link, meanwhile I'm going to reread the last 50 odd pages here 😁

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Great news!

I favour 90 for flower but next press going to go smaller micron to see if it makes a difference. I don't like the larger micron bags as I find them stiff and a pain to handle plus they let more contaminants in.

Have a look at recommended vape supplies for good quality paper.

Dint have any links.
i use 90c, slowly build pressure to about 3.5 t on my gauge over a couple of mins and leave for about a minute using bottle tech.
Am going to experiment with lower temps and longer press time.
Depending on flower variety I can get 15% to 27%.

Still undecided about pre pressing. I have one but I need to experiment more.

Good luck it's great fun.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Those microns are for pressing pollen, start with 160, 120, or 90 for flowers.
Thanks man, I thought I read recently, but I can't find the posts now, that people were pressing flower in hash bags to reduce contaminant. I intend to make bubble in the future to press too so maybe I should just get a selection of sizes to experiment with.

Top Bottom