• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Vapodudule

The one i posted is thick silicone coated paper. Way ahead any parchment paper.

Sheet is all ptfe not silicone. Had it too. Given for squishing also.

Bulk in 1mm thick (regular is 0.7 mm) ptfe available for heavy duty.

Last edited:

ganjapharma

Slick SHEET is their ptfe. They make a thicker version as well, for rosin. Bulk roll only.

Slick PAPER is the parchment type product with extra silicone.

Chat w them on website if you are buying bulk more than a few times a year they have very good deals sometimes.

grimeade

Hey guys so I'm getting in my electric rosin bomb clone in from china this weekend. I have some random (bleached I'm pretty sure) parchment paper that I use for cooking and I just ordered some 2x2 large micron bags from azpressco for flowers. Since I'm just starting out and this press only has like 3000 lbs of force The plate is pretty huge a 3x5,I really want to only do .5 and 1 gram presses. I read a few threads back and there are two questions I have.

PTFE or RAW parchment?
I read conflicting reports about both, it seems like oilslick ptfe is liked by this board. Any one think raw is better, if so why?

Thinking about this:
https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Slick-Parchment-Alternative-Reynolds/dp/B00XV01S16

Directional flow?
Since I won't be using the whole plate, I can't put my small nugs in the middle, because it will cook the rosin too much. So what's the most efficient way to use a small part of the plate. I was thinking about using the long edge of the plate and fold a triangle or something. Would appreciate some support and suggestions. Thanks!

grimeade,
Reactions: Squiby

shredder

Slick SHEET is their ptfe. They make a thicker version as well, for rosin. Bulk roll only.

Slick PAPER is the parchment type product with extra silicone.

Chat w them on website if you are buying bulk more than a few times a year they have very good deals sometimes.

Right, except slick paper is actually called slick wrap. And is a quality parchment. I use it and like it. It has a foil back, for what it's worth.

Another brand of I've used and liked is beyond gormet. One drawback is that being that it's unbleached, so rosin can be harder to see. Not a biggy, just saying.

The PTFE did not work well for pressing rosin. (For me) It tears easy, and the rosin stayed gooey unless frozen, and frozen chips flew everywhere when it tried to remove.

Imho I'd rate the slick wrap as the best followed by the unbleached beyond gormet brand parchment paper. (I bought both off amazon)

Caelar900

I use it and like it. It has a foil back, for what it's worth.

I had some serious problems when I used Slick Wrap, the foil backed kind, with my press. I'm still to this day not exactly sure what it was but the two just really didn't agree, maybe too much heat transfer to the foil or something. I use .01" slick sheet without a problem for my presses. I agree that parchment is slightly easier to collect on but PTFE just has so much less risk. Just my :2c:.

Caelar900,
Reactions: shredder

Vapodudule

There is 3 very differents products folks, just go to the original site:
-wrap foiled back (tab says drying, storing)
-paper very strong parchment silicone one side coated (rosin)
-sheet ptfe 100%

But there is a strong paradox as a clear tab with all uses for what on the "paper" product, but the "wrap" have an advertisement saying "made for squishing" but the clear tab exclude "wrap" squish usage.

ganjapharma

There is 3 very differents products folks, just go to the original site:
-wrap foiled back (tab says drying, storing)
-paper very strong parchment silicone one side coated (rosin)
-sheet ptfe 100%

But there is a strong paradox as a clear tab with all uses for what on the "paper" product, but the "wrap" have an advertisement saying "made for squishing" but the clear tab exclude "wrap" squish usage.

The wrap was changed a while back. There's a plastic layer between the foil and parchment now. Makes it waterproof...which is awesome if you live somewhere humid, or snowboard etc..

But no way for a heat press.

ganjapharma,
Reactions: Baron23

dabsonthemountain

Hey guys so I'm getting in my electric rosin bomb clone in from china this weekend. I have some random (bleached I'm pretty sure) parchment paper that I use for cooking and I just ordered some 2x2 large micron bags from azpressco for flowers. Since I'm just starting out and this press only has like 3000 lbs of force The plate is pretty huge a 3x5,I really want to only do .5 and 1 gram presses. I read a few threads back and there are two questions I have.

PTFE or RAW parchment?
I read conflicting reports about both, it seems like oilslick ptfe is liked by this board. Any one think raw is better, if so why?

Thinking about this:
https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Slick-Parchment-Alternative-Reynolds/dp/B00XV01S16

Directional flow?
Since I won't be using the whole plate, I can't put my small nugs in the middle, because it will cook the rosin too much. So what's the most efficient way to use a small part of the plate. I was thinking about using the long edge of the plate and fold a triangle or something. Would appreciate some support and suggestions. Thanks!
1. use parchment
2. directional flow is very worthwhile, i fold triangles with a flat bottom, some oil always collects there too, it's like a trapezoid in shape.

But you have big plates so use them. How much pressure overall does your press put out? With an 8 tonner i'd be using about 8,000 psi if i pressed a .5 nugg. they don't spread out too much. i'd really recommend some more bud there to lessen the psi. when i go over like 3-4000 i'm getting paper thin see through nuggs that just spread everywhere and are a pain to peel off. You gotta put more bud in so it spreads less and forms a nice puck. Plus you have enough to last a day or two instead of just a night. If i press .5 in bud a day i only have .1 for a day, and next morning i gotta press again. yeah, it's fresh, but it's a PIA... just press more so you can enjoy it. I usually press 2 g's of bud, get about .3-.5 of oil, and i'm set for a few days. it's much more worth your time.

dabsonthemountain,
Reactions: SamuraiSam

herbivore21

The wrap was changed a while back. There's a plastic layer between the foil and parchment now. Makes it waterproof...which is awesome if you live somewhere humid, or snowboard etc..

But no way for a heat press.
I have only just recently learned about this. The plastic used is PET (Polyethylene Terephtalate) which has a melting point of 482f and higher depending on the study. It is not necessarily likely that this stuff will be volatilized during rosin pressing but plastic is not something I'd wanna use just like many of you.

I was curious though because I inquired in great detail when I first started using slick wrap (I still am using rolls I bought years ago!) and nobody ever told me there was any plastic used.

I inquired further with the good people at Oil Slick and they assured me that the old slick wrap formulation is perfectly safe for rosin, but may cause frustration in high humidity environments for storage purposes. I can echo this. Humidity is a PITA for Slick Wrap and you gotta ensure you are working in less than extreme humidity (keep it below 65% RH IME).

To differentiate between the old and new Slick Wrap:

The old slick wrap looks as follows:

Light Olive Green color packaging. No blue sticker on packaging. Materials: Foil backing, silicone and cellulose matrix for white surface. SAFE FOR ROSIN PRESSING! Oil Slick staff have confirmed this is safe for rosin.

New Slick Wrap is as follows:

Dark Forest green packaging. Blue sticker indicating use of PET plastic layer in between the foil and silicone/cellulose matrix. NOT NECESSARILY SAFE FOR ROSIN PRESSING! Oil Slick staff are very clear that they do not recommend that this be used for rosin at all.

I want to repeat here that IME, the Old Slick Wrap is the best possible material for pressing. Beats all conventional parchments, Slick Sheet, Raw parchment etc. I have not tried their new rosin paper yet though which may be better yet :)

EDIT: @shredder slick wrap and slick paper are actually distinct products from one another. The paper is the new product that I have not yet tried.

Last edited:

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
You should try some of the new Slick Paper designed for rosin pressing. I picked up a few trial sheets of that from the Slick Slab before I moved out Bellingham or as I call it, errl city. They're pre-cut sheets and are more durable than parchment paper. They're not quite as easy to collect off compared to parchment paper or Slick Wrap, though.

I'm looking forward to trying pressing with the Slick Sheet like Elysian does. Seems to wrap better for the directional flow.

I finally got some of those Timewizard Greyfox plates I've been raving about, too.
uAFO2oXh.jpg

Now, to see whether I'll be reunited with my Dake B-10 in Nor Cal or buy a new Baileigh here in WA first... which comes first, hmm...

Caelar900

I finally got some of those Timewizard Greyfox plates I've been raving about, too.

Nice! I'm waiting for his new 4x4 frame personally :brow:

MhXEmF8.png

TimeWizard is killing it right now! Im so pumped to try out some true drip tech without having to spend 5 grand on an elysian press. He's got a lighter and more compact design than elysian and it packs the same 20 ton ram so it has higher PSI's too. I'm in love with this thing I could go on and on :lol:

Last edited:

Vapodudule

thanks for clearing the real facts @herbivore21 I think i have the last wrap possible with the blue sticker but still.

The blue sticker is very confusing for clear information it says "looking to squish? Try out our new rosin paper!" The copyright symbol is not on the word "paper" so you can easily conclude you have a rosin paper in the hand just reading the blue sticker!

please beware of alernative reality!

herbivore21

thanks for clearing the real facts @herbivore21 I think i have the last wrap possible with the blue sticker but still.

The blue sticker is very confusing for clear information it says "looking to squish? Try out our new rosin paper!" The copyright symbol is not on the word "paper" so you can easily conclude you have a rosin paper in the hand just reading the blue sticker!

please beware of alernative reality!
Bro given that some of our friends around here use MMJ for autism and that text like you quote from the blue label is obviously ambiguous and likely to be confusing for people on the spectrum, what you raise is really important. I am glad to help clear the air on this topic, especially if it can help anybody with such conditions to benefit from DIY solventless oil safely!

They definitely should make that label clearer, although I must say otherwise IMO the Oil Slick guys are good people and definitely a net positive for the industry :2c: Their parchment alternative products really shine above the competition, even if the differences between them might benefit from being more clearly explained for us all to understand which should be used where :peace:

herbivore21,

Vapodudule

Hey! @herbivore21 i totally agree with you for the oilslick guys making very good work for us and i was not intending to flame them in any manner. i trust them for good services, i order directly from them.

their very last "oilslick paper" made for rosin is a real game changer for me.

herbivore21

Hey! @herbivore21 i totally agree with you for the oilslick guys making very good work for us and i was not intending to flame them in any manner. i trust them for good services, i order directly from them.

their very last "oilslick paper" made for rosin is a real game changer for me.
Man I cannot wait to check that shit out!

You should try some of the new Slick Paper designed for rosin pressing. I picked up a few trial sheets of that from the Slick Slab before I moved out Bellingham or as I call it, errl city. They're pre-cut sheets and are more durable than parchment paper. They're not quite as easy to collect off compared to parchment paper or Slick Wrap, though.

I'm looking forward to trying pressing with the Slick Sheet like Elysian does. Seems to wrap better for the directional flow.

uAFO2oXh.jpg

Now, to see whether I'll be reunited with my Dake B-10 in Nor Cal or buy a new Baileigh here in WA first... which comes first, hmm...

Oh man I cannot wait to check out that rosin paper!!! So many folks whose opinions I respect like yourself are reporting good experiences so far :D Thanks for the heads up brother!

I've used slick sheet plenty before and I like it for some purposes but IME for rosin it deformed too much from the pressure at the folds and I had a few instances of deformation that I was not comfortable recovering rosin off of. However, I use my own directional flow fold technique which is different to Elysian's (btw, his fold technique is fucking awful with slick wrap - would not recommend as it causes terrible blowouts where the nug breaks through the parchment! Of course his own fold tek looks good with it!) which doesn't seem to lend itself to PTFE.

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I believe to remember the vids that Elysian's is using PTFE? At least when squishing hash.

BTW Elysian, what do you think about their longtime pressures (nearly 30'!)?
Never heard about or seen such long times before!?

Hogni,
Nice! I'm waiting for his new 4x4 frame personally :brow:

MhXEmF8.png

TimeWizard is killing it right now! Im so pumped to try out some true drip tech without having to spend 5 grand on an elysian press. He's got a lighter and more compact design than elysian and it packs the same 20 ton ram so it has higher PSI's too. I'm in love with this thing I could go on and on :lol:
What's the price on that ? Guessing less than 5 grand

nathantheobvious,
Reactions: SamuraiSam

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags

Definitely confusing, I have a roll of the new one that I intended to use for pressing and I would never guessed it wasn't suitable if not for this thread. That's pretty disappointing.

Vapodudule

To clear things up i reproduce here the tab behind the new slick TM paper:
slick paper 1 slick wrap2 slick sheet3
polar solvent extraction 3
non polar solvent extraction 3
heat rosin extraction 1 3
water extraction 2 3
co2 extraction 1 3
drying 1 2
packaging 2
high humidity environment 2

cheers foes!

Last edited:

Caelar900

What's the price on that ? Guessing less than 5 grand

$1000 for the frame and plates direct from time wizard. The hydraulics are another $600 and sold separately. But still this thing is a game changer 1/2-1/3 the price of the other guys with the same amount of utility :whoa:

BTW Elysian, what do you think about their longtime pressures (nearly 30'!)?
Never heard about or seen such long times before!?

Thats the thing with drip tech, they are able to squish until they are sure that no more oil is coming. In the case of the video that is on their youtube he turns the heat up half way through and thats why it was quite that long, and anything coming out at the end is going to be some not so awesome oil, but yeah pretty crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Oilslick

Oil Slick
Manufacturer
Hi All! Made an account just now, got an email regarding this thread and Id be happy to address the questions im seeing on here.

First off I should say that each of our products came out of some demand or another from this industry. Which, as most of us who have been here for a while know...is changing on the daily. In a few cases we have had to improve or modify a product based on feedback, emerging techniques etc..

Slick SHEET:
This is Virgin PTFE shaved from a solid rod of PTFE.
We make it in 2 thicknesses. .07mm for the regular retail rolls and in bulk. .1mm thickness is sold on a bulk roll only.

Slick WRAP
This is the Foil Backed Parchment. Since Oct 2016 it has also contained an inner waterproof (PET) layer.

We initially made it with just foil+Parchment but folks in high humidity areas complained that, like ordinary parchment it would get soft and loose durability. We changed the color of the box and added a 4" sticker to make sure there would be no confusion...but alas, i see theres still some.

Slick PAPER
Our Rosin paper. Made with a paper base called "Glassine" Its 100% wood pulp paper, but tougher than parchment paper (which is not really designed for pressure). Also has a ton of silicone on one side for release.

Slick CLEAR
Is the newest one out there. Its an improvement over Virgin PTFE specifically for packaging concentrates.
FEP is the primary ingredient, although its technically a "Polymer-Alloy" since it contains both FEP and PTFE.

This stuff is much more nonstick than virgin PTFE. It takes abuse better as well (tear, puncture, run etc..)
Just as chemically resistant, and terpene proof as PTFE it performs much better as packaging with the additional benefit of being completely transparent.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Hi All! Made an account just now, got an email regarding this thread and Id be happy to address the questions im seeing on here.

First off I should say that each of our products came out of some demand or another from this industry. Which, as most of us who have been here for a while know...is changing on the daily. In a few cases we have had to improve or modify a product based on feedback, emerging techniques etc..

Slick SHEET:
This is Virgin PTFE shaved from a solid rod of PTFE.
We make it in 2 thicknesses. .07mm for the regular retail rolls and in bulk. .1mm thickness is sold on a bulk roll only.

Slick WRAP
This is the Foil Backed Parchment. Since Oct 2016 it has also contained an inner waterproof (PET) layer.

We initially made it with just foil+Parchment but folks in high humidity areas complained that, like ordinary parchment it would get soft and loose durability. We changed the color of the box and added a 4" sticker to make sure there would be no confusion...but alas, i see theres still some.

Slick PAPER
Our Rosin paper. Made with a paper base called "Glassine" Its 100% wood pulp paper, but tougher than parchment paper (which is not really designed for pressure). Also has a ton of silicone on one side for release.

Slick CLEAR
Is the newest one out there. Its an improvement over Virgin PTFE specifically for packaging concentrates.
FEP is the primary ingredient, although its technically a "Polymer-Alloy" since it contains both FEP and PTFE.

This stuff is much more nonstick than virgin PTFE. It takes abuse better as well (tear, puncture, run etc..)
Just as chemically resistant, and terpene proof as PTFE it performs much better as packaging with the additional benefit of being completely transparent.
Thanks so much for coming along and explaining man! Welcome!

I definitely wanna hit you up about that clear my friend, I thought you guys might be using FEP when I saw the pics. I've had some problems using straight FEP personally (not the best for dealing with pressure and especially folds/creases IME) so I am very interested in this polymer-alloy approach!

tepictoton

Aloha to @Oilslick welcome here.

I for one have been enjoying most of your products for a long time already.

Remember going to Amsterdam to the dampkring Gallery to meet up with Greg, have a little dabadoo and leave back home with backpack filled with slick sheets. They sure made life easier...

Have a pre-press made. Will soon give it a test drive.

On pressing hash, trick is to leave enough room in the filter for it to fully expand. If not the filter will blow out for sure. It sure is a nice sight, rosin rivers, flowing...

Now using slick paper, and liking it a lot.

Edit: @Oilslick you guys coming to Barcelona Spannabis in a few weeks?

tepictoton,
Reactions: Oilslick
Top Bottom