Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

2clicker

Observer
ive been wanting to get my press out and back into use myself. just havent purchased any bevoda packs yet.

what about misting flowers with water before squishing? would that help it flow? i know there was talk of this a while back before the humidor packs came up. i dont remember the concensus on this tho.

2clicker,
Reactions: Caelar900

Caelar900

what about misting flowers with water before squishing? would that help it flow? i know there was talk of this a while back before the humidor packs came up. i dont remember the concensus on this tho.

I remember soilgrown talking about doing this at one point, but I have found when I do this myself I just get a lot of steam, a difficult end result to work with, added chlorophyll and terp loss. :/ I would recommend waiting on those boveda's ;) But if you do want to give it a shot before they come I have taken a damp paper towel and left it in a sealed mason and that seemed to do the trick! Though your going to have to be careful not to over hydrate!

2clicker

Observer
I remember soilgrown talking about doing this at one point, but I have found when I do this myself I just get a lot of steam, a difficult end result to work with, added chlorophyll and terp loss. :/ I would recommend waiting on those boveda's ;) But if you do want to give it a shot before they come I have taken a damp paper towel and left it in a sealed mason and that seemed to do the trick! Though your going to have to be careful not to over hydrate!

yes forgot about this method. ty!

2clicker,
Reactions: Caelar900

ginolicious

You always want to press on lower heat. I've tried medium and low heat. The lower heat produces a higher yeild as it does not vaporizer the rosin that has been pressed out.

ginolicious,

Hoosier

Your experience/advice with both misting and the paper towel hydration are both spot on. I tend to do a paper towel route, but usually let dry out a few hours to a day to dry out just a bit. Leads to a more stable product.

Hoosier,

Preferredduck

Does anyone have experience putting rosin in an O pen? If so, please tell me what has worked for you, this is what I tried:

I mixed 1g at 1:1 ratio with VE's unflavored option and then heated to ~100F. It was somewhat runny at the time of filling the cart, but apparently the cooler winter ambient temperatures have made it too viscous. When I try to take a drag i get a flavor like a plastic off gas, and although I seem to get some psychoactive effects, very little seems to be burning (missing from the cart) after trying to burn though it to see how long they would last.

I know there are better ways to enjoy rosin, but I am trying to figure out this specific application. Do I need to winterize? I am unsure if waxes are present in rosin.
I just started. I use ej mix at 160 degrees on the stove. I used too much heat on my first press and it was a little dirty, the 2nd press at 13 with a con air straightener for 8 seconds made them like glass and they hardened on the ice pack, I I onky had a 115lb trigger clamp. I 1 to 1 mix with clean rosin will work. Using a 2 to 1 would make 6 potent carts at .5ml a fill.

Preferredduck,

jl420

I just ordered a High 5 Manual Rosin press with the 2x4 rectangular plates (should get it this Thursday). Does anyone have recommendations on what I should set my temp reading for? I heard/read and seen between 215-300 degs but if someone has the knowledge I would really appreciate the info... Any tips for that matter would be great Thanx All

jl420,

Hoosier

I just ordered a High 5 Manual Rosin press with the 2x4 rectangular plates (should get it this Thursday). Does anyone have recommendations on what I should set my temp reading for? I heard/read and seen between 215-300 degs but if someone has the knowledge I would really appreciate the info... Any tips for that matter would be great Thanx All

Just get a instaread meat thermometer and use that to find the difference between your h5 display and the actual. Depending upon your strain/moisture/et al, you will want your plate temps to be 200-230f. If you had more pressure, I would say 180-220f, but that high5 is a lil underpowered. I would also keep my pucks to 1" sq

Hoosier,
Reactions: jl420

Preferredduck

I used JB Weld to glue the heaters to the wood and to stick the controls to the clamp. Then the wood was screwed to the black covers on the clamps jaws. I filled the the open ends of the control housing with Kneed-It so the electrics are sealed up. I also cut the bar of the clamp down and put a bolt in it to stop it opening far enough to stress the wires. You want it to be safe and strong.

I just got a deWalt clamp today, same specs as the irwin. I picked up jb weld, the kind you can drill etc incase the ceramic gets hot. Was that the wring jb weld since they have 8 kinds of the stuff.

Preferredduck,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Ugraded my hair iron with a press system for the better, now even the lower grade weed I have give a good flow!

My issue is when to reclaim on the parchment, too soon and it's sappy all over and too late it is like hard shatter and most is lost... any tips? (I use a razor blade)

I can see some black species on my plate and sometimes it looks like some oil is going through the parchment...or is it coming from the parchment? (I think not since rosin taste very good and doesn't seems polluted by anything...)

Solventless for ever!

Caelar900

@PPN Glad to hear you upgraded! I always like to transfer my parchment paper onto something cold right after pressing, an ice pack will do in a pinch a large slab of granite chilled in the freezer is what I use. If you are getting a shatter consistency it also means that you can probably back off the heat just a tad. Also using a big glob of your material to pick up more material and sliding acrossed it helps to collect shatter if that makes any sense ;)

sickmanfraud

Has anyone tested bud before and after Being pressed?

What I mean is, does anyone know what percentage of cannabinoids are left after pressing?

What does everyone do with the weed after pressing?

If I am willing to "play" with a small amount of medicine, would I be better off with a cheapo hair straightener or a very good, hot iron?

Thanks

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: shredder

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Depends on your quality of squishing, only one squish or a 2nd one and quality of origin material.

There will always remain a certain amount of oil in and on the rosin chips. Some smoke/vape them afterwards, some make extracts of them by iso, ethanol or fat oils like coconut oil for vaping or edibles, some trash it - as you like it.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Has anyone tested bud before and after Being pressed?

What I mean is, does anyone know what percentage of cannabinoids are left after pressing?

What does everyone do with the weed after pressing?

If I am willing to "play" with a small amount of medicine, would I be better off with a cheapo hair straightener or a very good, hot iron?

Thanks
hope you have an hour to kill...

sickmanfraud

hope you have an hour to kill...

@Quetzalcoatl Thanks for the try.

I admit to being over 40 years since High School science, but has this guy ever heard about the "scientific method"? The guy in the video seems to have no idea how to setup the experiment.

Am I wrong in thinking the only two things necessary to test residual cannabinoids left behind in pressed Rosin chips is a sample of the cannabis before it is pressed (what % THC) ? And of course your Rosin Chips.

By testing the cannabis before and after pressing you can get the proper answers to the query.

When you take your starting value (example only) of 20% THC and then see the chips are (again example) 5% THC you realize that you left behind roughy 25%. Again, my example only, but if you realized that you left behind 25% you would know that you would need about 4 times the weight in chips as fresh cannabis to make your (oil, RSO, tincture or even brownies) desired medecine.

While testing rosin chips it is also possible to see the % of THC vs THCA which would show how decarboxylated the chips are or are not.

I expect that testing the chips will show that if you desire to ingest the cannabis chips you would still need to decarboxylate the cannabis chips for 40 minutes at 240F.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: jl420

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Something l like with Rosin.... while doing bho extractions I must to wait for a dry day (cause outside but cause too much humidity), but I have time for extractions mainly during winter so , since l switched to Rosin, l noticed the wet days are the better for squishing!

There is still a lot of goodies in my chips but they are a pia to grind, I prefer to cut it with scissors and throw it in a powerfull conduction vape (Focus, Odin or Inhalater) or in my Herbalaire. That's like to vape 2 bowls in one since you load more than habitually (cause compressed).

Preferredduck

There is picture halfway down page 18 or you can search FB rosin tech for Larry.

I apologize if you thought I was hating?. Far from it! I seriously struggle with math at times and I just wanted to clear things up and get us/me on the same page. You kick ass at this.

"I thought it would take a man 100 years to tunnel out of shawshank, Andy did it in just 5." Hahaha. I always say "and I'm not so good with the maths either."

Preferredduck,
Reactions: Joel W.

Doktor Dub

Thats the right "paper", most often Oil slick is more expensive than Waxy. I am sure here are other Users with much more Experience and knowledge about specific Brands etc.

Doktor Dub,
Reactions: PPN

tepictoton

Friend had a pack of slick sheets. I ordered a few after seeing them... (need to say more? The silicone layer is noticeably thicker then any paper I have seen before.)

tepictoton,
Top Bottom