justcametomind

I'm looking for a silent desktop/portable vaporizer under 200 euros and saw the Plenty for about 180 euros. 'Finally a Storz and Bickel product under 200 euros', I thought. I saw the big chamber and was a bit turned off. Then I saw the chamber reducer and then the Plenty was back on the list again. Now I read about the dust issues.

An intermezzo: the Plenty is still widely available in Europe even though multiple people complained about the dust, while multiple stores didn't offer the Hybrid for a while when customers complained about the melting plastic/dust. Now I'm wondering if stores also don't care about it or that the issue with the Plenty isn't widespread.
End of intermezzo.

A few questions to the Plenty veterans:

- Is it possible to extract the herbs in multiple sessions without too much loss of flavor?
- When using the chamber reducer: is there still a chance that the aluminium dust enters the vapor path?
I often use the whole chamber (and the reduced one) in multiple sessions. I don't see a lot of cooking while you are not hitting, but such thing is not measurable, YMMV. The heater disengages if you don't press the lever so it stops cooking if you leave it unattended. To be honest, like with almost every vape flavor is a matter of the first few hits, but imho on the Plenty cannabinoids are well preserved if you revape an already heated chamber.
I can only say that it doesn't seem to cook it a lot when you turn the vape off, especially if you unscrew the chamber from the vape as I do.
The metal dust drama it's like if itnever happened, nothing got addressed by S&B, shops didn't care. My Plenty has not much visible scratches.
The heater cover and the base of the cooking chamber are close when the vape is assembled but they don't touch (iirc).
I have many desktop units but I often come back to the Plenty because it's silent and doesn't need glass, except a j-hook if I like to use it instead of the coil.
It's a session vaporizer and it's a bit slower than other vapes, the heat up time is 4'15" but if you can live with how it works (pressing the handle mostly) it's still one of the best imho. On paper it's said Plenty heats to 205°C but imho extraction is on par with Volcano which reaches 230°C. If I put fully extracted Plenty's ABV on my Volcano I only get barely visible vapor at 230.

Last edited:

Dutch-Mic

Thanks for the responses @justcametomind and @ChooChooCharlie!

It sounds like the Plenty is quite efficient. Do I understand correctly that it extracts a bit slower? That would be a pro for me, because that would help to reach the desired effects without overmedicating.
I have lot of (butane) vapes without fixed temperatures. At daytime that is absolutely no problem for me, but at night I can miss a bit of control and can reach accidentally the higher temps, which causes extra muscle cramps and pain (and I vape to reduce pain). I think the Plenty, once I found the right settings, will prevent those accidental moments.

About the potential dust: I'll take some time to think about if it's an issue for me. If it doesn't reach the vapor path I can live with it!

justcametomind

Thanks for the responses @justcametomind and @ChooChooCharlie!

It sounds like the Plenty is quite efficient. Do I understand correctly that it extracts a bit slower? That would be a pro for me, because that would help to reach the desired effects without overmedicating.
I have lot of (butane) vapes without fixed temperatures. At daytime that is absolutely no problem for me, but at night I can miss a bit of control and can reach accidentally the higher temps, which causes extra muscle cramps and pain (and I vape to reduce pain). I think the Plenty, once I found the right settings, will prevent those accidental moments.

About the potential dust: I'll take some time to think about if it's an issue for me. If it doesn't reach the vapor path I can live with it!
I meant that it's slower than on demand vapes or even session vapes like a Volcano, who reaches for max temp in 2' against Plenty's 4'15". IME it extracts as if it was a corded Mighty, with the exception that the session is not continuous and has to be extended by pressing the lever.
About the potential dust: imho it doesn't even get created at all, but actually the potential risk involves the vapor path.
If you don't want to overmedicate and be aware of your temp a Volcano is unbeatable but the Plenty is nothing short of that, you just have to be careful not moving the temperature wheel and prior to that find your sweet spot.

Scuba Steve Tokes

It sounds like the Plenty is quite efficient
My definition of efficiency is high for the amount of herb and while I love it, I would not use the Plenty to stretch my stash out. It is a bit of a weed hog but that is unavoidable with the large chamber, the trade off is incredible performance and killer party sessions.

the best way to conserve with the plenty is to toss in just enough to cover the screen, about .2g, and put the liquid pad on top as a spacer. Save yourself some time and money and don’t buy the chamber reducer or dosing capsules. They work fine but once you grow accustomed to the open airflow you will not be satisfied with the tighter airflow that the reducer chamber. I saw this advice but had to see for myself and now I never, ever use it. I really like vaping a mix of cbd and regular flower because then I can have a nice session and not use much actual flower.

The Plenty is an incredible machine and since I picked it up the volcano has been collecting dust. It produces even smoother vapor and it can be more potent if you start it at 7 and once you do a couple priming draws to get the conduction part of the hybrid heating going, take long slow draws and my oh my is the vapor THICK. My advice is to start it at seven and once you get vapor drop the temp down to 5 and temp step back up. You’d probably get more efficiency just starting at 5 but getting the conduction part of the hybrid heating going strong early really helps the session along in my experience. Just my :2c:

If you pull the trigger go ahead and order some extra liquid pads, make sure to get the wider shorter ones, those are the correct ones for the Plenty. As you use them they gunk up with honey oil that eventually cooks to rock hard black residue and it takes away from the flavor so you will want to switch those out every month or so depending on your use. Also make sure to trade the SS coil for a jhook.

Vitolo

Vaporist
- Is it possible to extract the herbs in multiple sessions without too much loss of flavor?
Yes. In this video, one load lasts the better part of a day.
When using the chamber reducer: is there still a chance that the aluminium dust enters the vapor path?
The vapor patch is long, textured by the coils, and becomes sticky inside from use (they need to be cleaned out with Iso on occasion, like any other vaporizer). The length, twists and turns, texture, combined with the vapor residues in the coil will not allow dust,
if there ever was any) to get all the way to the users mouthpiece.
The Plenty is a VERY flavorful, and rich Vape experience.
I hope this helps set your mind at ease.

Last edited:

howie105

I saw the big chamber and was a bit turned off. Then I saw the chamber reducer and then the Plenty was back on the list again.... One of the Plenty's best design features is its broad wide open oven which assures fast even extractions. The reduction capsules are at best an afterthought that compromise the device. The alternative of using the concentrate pad as the chamber reducer not only costs less but IMO works better.

Now I read about the dust issues..... The metal on metal wear occurs on surfaces that are not in the air path when the device is in use and routine cleaning manages the problem.

Is it possible to extract the herbs in multiple sessions without too much loss of flavor?.... Yes you can remove the load chamber off the device, but it's going to take time for the oven to cool down, so there will be some degree of loss. Is it noticeable, to me yes, and I am not the most observant user on the planet.

When using the chamber reducer: is there still a chance that the aluminum dust enters the vapor path?.... Unfortunately I never used the capsules long enough for them to start wearing. But an informed guess is, I don't see a problem.

My suggestion is that you set aside the brand name and look for another vape that may meet your needs and wants better. The Silver Surfer from ELEV8R is an example that I can vouch for. It handles loads between .3g to .1g easier than the OTB Plenty and better than the capsules with fewer parts and fiddling around.

The air path is mostly glass with a ceramic heater setting in a glass cover, the oven is glass with a metal screen and the rest of the wand/stem is glass as well. The supplied whip is vinyl (not my cup of tea) but changeable.

Removing the stem /oven from the Surfer works better in preserving taste then the Plenty.

Good Luck and enjoy your shopping.

Dutch-Mic

My definition of efficiency is high for the amount of herb and while I love it, I would not use the Plenty to stretch my stash out. It is a bit of a weed hog but that is unavoidable with the large chamber, the trade off is incredible performance and killer party sessions.

the best way to conserve with the plenty is to toss in just enough to cover the screen, about .2g, and put the liquid pad on top as a spacer. Save yourself some time and money and don’t buy the chamber reducer or dosing capsules. They work fine but once you grow accustomed to the open airflow you will not be satisfied with the tighter airflow that the reducer chamber. I saw this advice but had to see for myself and now I never, ever use it. I really like vaping a mix of cbd and regular flower because then I can have a nice session and not use much actual flower.

The Plenty is an incredible machine and since I picked it up the volcano has been collecting dust. It produces even smoother vapor and it can be more potent if you start it at 7 and once you do a couple priming draws to get the conduction part of the hybrid heating going, take long slow draws and my oh my is the vapor THICK. My advice is to start it at seven and once you get vapor drop the temp down to 5 and temp step back up. You’d probably get more efficiency just starting at 5 but getting the conduction part of the hybrid heating going strong early really helps the session along in my experience. Just my :2c:

If you pull the trigger go ahead and order some extra liquid pads, make sure to get the wider shorter ones, those are the correct ones for the Plenty. As you use them they gunk up with honey oil that eventually cooks to rock hard black residue and it takes away from the flavor so you will want to switch those out every month or so depending on your use. Also make sure to trade the SS coil for a jhook.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Recently I found a great cbd strain that is well suited for the 0.2 filling technique that you described, so I'll definitely try that if I decide to buy it (together with extra liquid pads). Question: was the airflow the only reason you stopped using the capsules?

My suggestion is that you set aside the brand name and look for another vape that may meet your needs and wants better. The Silver Surfer from ELEV8R is an example that I can vouch for. It handles loads between .3g to .1g easier than the OTB Plenty and better than the capsules with fewer parts and fiddling around.

The air path is mostly glass with a ceramic heater setting in a glass cover, the oven is glass with a metal screen and the rest of the wand/stem is glass as well. The supplied whip is vinyl (not my cup of tea) but changeable.

Removing the stem /oven from the Surfer works better in preserving taste then the Plenty.

Good Luck and enjoy your shopping.

Good that you mention, I paraphrase, not to be blinded by brandnames. The reason I'm thinking about the Plenty is the heating technology (no need for stirring and consistent results) and that it is quite affordable now in various EU stores compared to other desktop vaporizers. I'll take a good look at the surfer, thanks!

Yes. In this video, one load lasts the better part of a day.

The vapor patch is long, textured by the coils, and becomes sticky inside from use (they need to be cleaned out with Iso on occasion, like any other vaporizer). The length, twists and turns, texture, combined with the vapor residues in the coil will not allow dust,
if there ever was any) to get all the way to the users mouthpiece.
The Plenty is a VERY flavorful, and rich Vape experience.
I hope this helps set your mind at ease.

This eases my mind, thank you! I'm not an expert of course, but I presume that if dust travels through the vaporpath, it should be visible on a Q-tip when cleaning the part of the coil that is closest to the heater.
Nice to see the Plenty in action by the way.

howie105

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Recently I found a great cbd strain that is well suited for the 0.2 filling technique that you described, so I'll definitely try that if I decide to buy it (together with extra liquid pads). Question: was the airflow the only reason you stopped using the capsules?
I just found the capsule an inferior approach to the pad. Slower, more parts, more involved cleaning ect, but mostly it was performance in comparison to the alternatives. If memory serves the Plenty comes with a concentrate pad but, if available consider picking up additional fine screens. It keeps the bud out of the pad and at some point you are going to need them anyway. Like many S&B consumables (heads up) they are getting scarce.

Scuba Steve Tokes

About the potential dust: imho it doesn't even get created at all, but actually the potential risk involves the vapor path.
I have to disagree about dust creation, but my experience might not be typical! Two of the little plastic bits on the orange chamber housing have popped off and I think that allows the chamber to contact the heater more, which caused some pretty serious scratching and dust creation. That being said I flip it upside down and wipe it thoroughly with a fresh q-tip before I turn it on and I pack the chamber nice and firm and with those two precautions I feel fine using it.
Now I read about the dust issues..... The metal on metal wear occurs on surfaces that are not in the air path when the device is in use and routine cleaning manages the problem
I’m personally not convinced that the fair path is sealed off completely from the ring around the heater even though the chamber screws down on top I think there might be some potential exposure of the dust to the air path. I am only saying this because I don’t want Dutch Mic to get this thinking it is not an issue. Regular cleaning is necessary to keep the dust out of the air path. That being said it would have to go up through a screen, through your material, most likely through a liquid pad, another screen, and then not get caught on anything else in the vapor path.
Question: was the airflow the only reason you stopped using the capsules?
Honestly yeah. I didn’t even use the reducer or the dosing capsules enough t need to clean them but it is certainly a pain to deal with the dosing capsules. The biggest thing was really that I like to sip the terps then finish it through water and the reduced airflow makes it no fun to use with a WP. My incycler hydratube would not recycle because of the low flow and that was a bummer.
if available consider picking up additional fine screens. It keeps the bud out of the pad and at some point you are going to need them anyway. Like many S&B consumables (heads up) they are getting scarce.
I second the fine screens! They are so fine I thought they sent me plastic discs before I pulled them out of the pack. Howie do you put a fine screen down below your liquid pad? I think you might have done something there! This could save me some coin on liquid pads over the years.

I want to reiterate the Plenty is an awesome machine. The dust freaked me out and I stopped using it for like a day. After researching more into it I feel reasonably safe using it as long as I wipe it with a q-tip before and the screen is totally covered by material with a liquid pad pushing down on it. This being said if I knew about the dust issue before purchasing I may have gone with a different vape. I’m not trying to scare you off the Plenty I just want you to know the dust is a thing and because if that there is a bit more maintenance than advertised. Still a super easy to use and clean vape but I wish they would push a fix already so I can stop wiping it.

the SSV would be a good alternative but you would have to stir. The DBV or LSV may work for you too but if you are considering an LSV I would also throw the Terp Torch into the mix but make sure to do your own research because I’m no expert! The Plenty has them all beat on ease of use though.

howie105

Howie do you put a fine screen down below your liquid pad? I think you might have done something there! This could save me some coin on liquid pads over the years....Yes, the load gets a fine screen and then a concentrate pad. I have been using the same pad for at least a year but, my Plenty is mostly a niche use party vape now.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
This could save me some coin on liquid pads over the years.
I used the original mesh screen for rosin more than a spacer but it is was still like new as I ultrasonic cleaned it in a jar of 100% iso in a water bath, then drop it in the water to ultrasonic the iso out. Do this regularly and the mesh will last until it physically loses shape without ever tasting bad.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I just found the capsule an inferior approach to the pad.
I do not like the reducer and Capsule either.
The pad is a better tool, but I use neither.
I like a full chamber.
original mesh screen
I've never confessed this quirky habit to anyone before.
When I clean glass.. and have a lot of it,
I use the same Iso for the main cleaning, then I use clean Iso for a rinse before moving on to
hot water/dish soap.
I don't throw out the Iso.
I pour it into a beaker, and let it evaporate in a cabinet.
When it's still liquid, I throw a mesh pad in there.
(I do it with Volcano pads too)
I leave it. Set it and forget it :lol:.
After the liquid is all gone, and the pad is totally dry, I vape it all by itself.
If it's pure flower sublimate clean-up, you can taste the beautiful flavors!

howie105

I do not like the reducer and Capsule either.
The pad is a better tool, but I use neither.
I like a full chamber.

I've never confessed this quirky habit to anyone before.
When I clean glass.. and have a lot of it,
I use the same Iso for the main cleaning, then I use clean Iso for a rinse before moving on to
hot water/dish soap.
I don't throw out the Iso.
I pour it into a beaker, and let it evaporate in a cabinet.
When it's still liquid, I throw a mesh pad in there.
(I do it with Volcano pads too)
I leave it. Set it and forget it :lol:.
After the liquid is all gone, and the pad is totally dry, I vape it all by itself.
If it's pure flower sublimate clean-up, you can taste the beautiful flavors!
Me too, and its because I am ecologically mature, not because I am cheap, really, no really. :)

CurryLeafTreehugger

I'm looking for a silent desktop/portable vaporizer under 200 euros and saw the Plenty for about 180 euros. 'Finally a Storz and Bickel product under 200 euros', I thought. I saw the big chamber and was a bit turned off. Then I saw the chamber reducer and then the Plenty was back on the list again. Now I read about the dust issues.

An intermezzo: the Plenty is still widely available in Europe even though multiple people complained about the dust, while multiple stores didn't offer the Hybrid for a while when customers complained about the melting plastic/dust. Now I'm wondering if stores also don't care about it or that the issue with the Plenty isn't widespread.
End of intermezzo.

A few questions to the Plenty veterans:

- When using the chamber reducer: is there still a chance that the aluminium dust enters the vapor path?

(1) Not a chance. You lose 100% of flavor before you even get to draw
(2) No idea about aluminum dust, sorry.

For me the only possible use of the Plenty is if you want to quickly create lots and lots of evenly browned ABV. It is the second worst vape I have ever used (the first being the Firefly I).

Get a log vape. Look at the Underdogs or the Heat Islands (aka HI). You have 100% control over amount, draw rate, temp, and extra stems means nobody has to swap Covid spit during a shared session.

I'm sure this isn't going to go down big on a thread totally devoted to PLENTY lovers, but I've had mine for 6 years. I recently broke it out again to try again - and I STILL HATE IT. Even with the chamber reducer it uses stupid amounts of herb compared to a log vape, and I have NEVER been able to dial in an appropriate setting to where I can actually vape much of anything out of it before it just burns it all off. It basically has only 3 settings

1. OFF
  2. nowhere near hot enough
  3. Too hot for practical use.
It won't combust but that's about all you can say about it.

Vitolo

Vaporist
You lose 100% of flavor before you even get to draw
This has never been my experience.
The Plenty is one of my most flavorful Vapes, and I have over 100 units here that I rotate between.
Even with the chamber reducer
I dislike the reducer set-up with great intensity.
Get a log vape. Look at the Underdogs or the Heat Islands (aka HI). You have 100% control over amount, draw rate, temp, and extra stems means nobody has to swap Covid spit during a shared session.
I have owned every log vape produced since 2009.
Different beast and used for different effects, for different audiences.
For me the only possible use of the Plenty is if you want to quickly create lots and lots of evenly browned ABV.
My best use for the Plenty is filling it with a full gram, and hitting that load through the day.
I'm sure this isn't going to go down big on a thread totally devoted to PLENTY lovers
If you realized this and were even a tiny bit concerned about people's feelings, you would have toned the climate of your post somewhat.
Out of about 500 patients that I have served, 6 patients own the Plenty, and these 6 are the envy of
a great many local patients. They are among the few patients that have not required maintenance of parts or units.
They have each been able to test different vapes for me (this includes logs) and all of them have been offered
a change of unit, but nobody wants to give up their Plenty.
You have 100% control over amount, draw rate, temp
Some users do not wish to limit the amount of meds used.
Many like to get as much THC into themselves as they can, to aid in living with some serious disorders.
I am among those. I budget my food shopping before I budget my flower acquisition.
but that's about all you can say about it.
Why not post in in the classifieds?
You'd be rid of a vape that you obviously dislike, and you would likely sell it within the same day you posted it!
A shout-out to all of the Plenty Users on the Forum!

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

The Plenty is one of my most flavorful Vapes, and I have over 100 units here that I rotate between.

My best use for the Plenty is filling it with a full gram, and hitting that load through the day.

It seems like if you realized this you would have toned the climate of your post somewhat.
Out of about 500 patients that I have served, 6 patients own the Plenty, and these 6 are the envy of
a great many local patients. They are among the few patients that have not required maintenance of parts or units.
They have each been able to test different vapes for me (this includes logs) and all of them have been offered

Many like to get as much THC into themselves as they can, to aid in living with some serious disorders.
I am among those. I budget my food shopping before I budget my flower acquisition.
Don't care, it sucks. Period paragraph.

Leaving herb in the Plenty is akin to flushing it down the toilet.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Don't care, it sucks. Period paragraph.

Leaving herb in the Plenty is akin to flushing it down the toilet.
This is crossing the in terms of our Be Nice rules.

• All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community.
  • Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.
Even if this wasn't the Plenty thread - frequented by many fans of the device - your comment should still be worded in a more constructive way. It's not that hard to state your opinion while still being respectful.

Please take a few minutes to go over the forum rules. Thank you.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

If you realized this and were even a tiny bit concerned about people's feelings, you would have toned the climate of your post somewhat.

Why not post in in the classifieds?
You'd be rid of a vape that you obviously dislike, and you would likely sell it within the same day you posted it!
Not 2 bother U however the PLENTY is perfect after harvest of CAnnabis COLAS!
4 recreational/medical need’s?
IF flavor is important?
Under realized it’s significant contribution 2 CIVILIZATION!
If your not scared?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
It may be undervalued and ironically in some regards, overrated. It has some strings and perks to offer which not all vapes do.

Compromises!
Medicated is a level very distant in 2-day’s culture?
The PLENTY taste more palletsable 2-me?
I’m bias because COLAS R my part of the CANNABIS tree!
Hendricks and THAI BOMB OILERS = CIVILIZATION

Top Bottom