Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead Did you mention you had a handle design in the works for the ZX? If so I'll put off buying one for now.

My ergonomically optimized handle is coming in the group batch of prototypes.
I've been wanting to do that one for a while, but I finally redesigned the attachment mechanism, so it should be easier to make.

Thanks bro, I’ll probably just stick with the tried and true. Wired probably performs a little better than wireless anyway in terms of recovery between hits

I've been a little curious about making one myself, I've never tried a wireless ZX.

But the dimensions are all based off my early glass wireless / coil / torch models so the performance should be pretty familiar (and capable)

Maybe after the ZXXL if the interest is there we could try to do a run of them.
Everything is pretty much done and figured out and I'm really digging the new wireless design.

Seems like there's overall wayyy more interest in induction stuff though, so I'm more so wanting to try something in that regard than keep doing a bunch of new zirconia stuff. That said, some of these new thermodynamically optimized designs could be ported over to a premium ceramic version if the metal versions gain some traction.

fropones

Seems like there's overall wayyy more interest in induction stuff though, so I'm more so wanting to try something in that regard than keep doing a bunch of new zirconia stuff. That said, some of these new thermodynamically optimized designs could be ported over to a premium ceramic version if the metal versions gain some traction.
Maybe banding the zirconia in something ferromagnetic? Or a zirconia bowl in a metallic oven?

greenganja

Maybe banding the zirconia in something ferromagnetic? Or a zirconia bowl in a metallic oven?
As I recall in the 80's and 90's they used to sell these lava pipes. The inside of the bowl of these lava pipes was plated with a thin layer of gold. Although these pipe's were for combustion. I do remember the one I had, and it did stay hot to the touch for a little while after using it.

@invertedisdead Everything is pretty much done and figured out and I'm really digging the new wireless design.
Great news. Very excited about receiving the new ZXXL. Thank you

Last edited:

Garybuchanen

Thanks bro, I’ll probably just stick with the tried and true. Wired probably performs a little better than wireless anyway in terms of recovery between hits
This is my big turnoff and why unless you just have to have no wires it doesn’t make much sense,especially since you still need to plug in something to heat the coil that the handle rests in/on.
Starting off the day early with a zx sesh and then going to hit the courts!! Have a great day everyone.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
Tough question but can anyone think of a 14mm bowl that is available online that has a slightly wider ID than the ZX Bowl? I have this Firefly 2 concentrate pad I want to try, but it does not fit the ZX bowl.

Not sure about a bowl, but the Lotus concentrate pad is the same style and does fit inside the ZX bowl. Don't know how well it works though because I haven't tried it. Might not be a tight enough fit. If I can find it later I'll aim to try it out tonight.

namasteIII

Not sure about a bowl, but the Lotus concentrate pad is the same style and does fit inside the ZX bowl. Don't know how well it works though because I haven't tried it. Might not be a tight enough fit. If I can find it later I'll aim to try it out tonight.
Cheers let me know. I think these types might be too compressed and mess up the airflow. But they also seem better than just a random SS screen with concentrate smeared on it.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Tough question but can anyone think of a 14mm bowl that is available online that has a slightly wider ID than the ZX Bowl? I have this Firefly 2 concentrate pad I want to try, but it does not fit the ZX bowl.

Have you tried any 14MM glass bowl? The diameter of a 14MM glass joint is wider than the ZX bowl if you go far enough up the joint.

Cheers let me know. I think these types might be too compressed and mess up the airflow. But they also seem better than just a random SS screen with concentrate smeared on it.

If you stack a bunch of them together it works alright,

81927-C49-9-CC9-4-A9-F-8594-130-DE3-F6-BED1.jpg

That said, these setups don’t really produce convection vaporization, in reality most of the heat transfer occurring is thru conduction, with the hot air mostly heating up the metal pad.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
That said, these setups don’t really produce convection vaporization, in reality most of the heat transfer occurring is thru conduction, with the hot air mostly heating up the metal pad.
That's pretty much what I figured. Never tried it because my attempts to vape concentrate in the Elev8r before and during the wait for the ZX sort of turned me off from trying to do pure concentrates in convection vapes. Still curious to see if I can get a good hit though

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That's pretty much what I figured. Never tried it because my attempts to vape concentrate in the Elev8r before and during the wait for the ZX sort of turned me off from trying to do pure concentrates in convection vapes. Still curious to see if I can get a good hit though

You can get a decent hit on a clean one, but it's a challenge to keep them that way.

I don't have any of my concentrate gear with me right now so it works in a pinch but it's not my favorite way to vaporize good rosin.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: EasyVape

greenganja

@namasteIII @hotmeals Ya'll just gave me an idea. I have a 10 mm sapphire insert cup that I'm going to experiment with. I'm going to load a dab into the sapphire insert. Then place the insert inside the ZX bowl and put the heat head on and see if that works. May not have enough clearance for a tight seal between the insert and the heater. It might work though.

hotmeals

Serial vapist

Little bit of crumbly BHO, 600f through the j hook, one hit. That was pretty damn good I can't lie! Nice cloud, decent flavor, I'm high. Probably could have gone a little lower temp. I'll have to experiment with one of the smaller Elev8 ceramic discs I got a while ago that I know fit the ZX also. Supposedly you can just torch those clean but I'm not sure how good of a long term solution that is.

RedZep

This is my big turnoff and why unless you just have to have no wires it doesn’t make much sense,especially since you still need to plug in something to heat the coil that the handle rests in/on.
Starting off the day early with a zx sesh and then going to hit the courts!! Have a great day everyone.
I've never tried a wireless ball vape. But I can tell I would value one. The ease of use and practicality. I change the location of my ZX often, and sometimes the wire is an annoyance.

With regards to heat recovery, I'm not sure I mind. I do small bowl one and done hits. I spread my hits out, and I'm sure the wireless ZX will recover faster than other wireless vapes, due to the materials and the small size.

PrematureEvaporation

@invertedisdead

What are your thoughts on this sort of gasification/particle size reduction trend that has recently been revived from the ashes of the sublimator and its hotly debated claims?

I see a lot of people hailing the FK-Electropath combo as the hardest hitter they’ve ever used. Then there’s the tornado which claims to do similar things, and the small number of users that have it on here and discord say it’s doing *something* that gets them higher faster and for longer.

I know there’s been a lot of debate on the topic in the past when the sub was first hitting the scene. I’ve tried reading as much of that as I can, but I’d also like to know if opinions have changed as tech and understanding of the underlying concepts has done.

Why do people using these devices all report getting so damn high? What’s actually going on here?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the knowledge you and some other users drop on this site regularly

IZ_is

My ergonomically optimized handle is coming in the group batch of prototypes.
I've been wanting to do that one for a while, but I finally redesigned the attachment mechanism, so it should be easier to make.

I've been a little curious about making one myself, I've never tried a wireless ZX.

But the dimensions are all based off my early glass wireless / coil / torch models so the performance should be pretty familiar (and capable)

Maybe after the ZXXL if the interest is there we could try to do a run of them.
Everything is pretty much done and figured out and I'm really digging the new wireless design.

Have had my ZX's and my ZXL on hot holes for a couple of months now. Love the ease of wireless. Run the ZX and ZXL high 400s to low 500s depending on the strain/age/water vessel. I can do both in one hit at these temps, The recovery is quick, under 2 minutes, but your mileage may vary. Temps are soooooo subjective. What I do know is both of these are far superior to all of the Metal heads that came before, they work perfectly well wireless and they rock! Thanks Inverted!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Little bit of crumbly BHO, 600f through the j hook, one hit. That was pretty damn good I can't lie! Nice cloud, decent flavor, I'm high. Probably could have gone a little lower temp. I'll have to experiment with one of the smaller Elev8 ceramic discs I got a while ago that I know fit the ZX also. Supposedly you can just torch those clean but I'm not sure how good of a long term solution that is.

The ceramic discs should be silicon carbide which descended from the Health Stone vaporizer. They should be torchable as long as the quality is good. Those are used industrially to filter molten metal so they're rather robust.

@invertedisdead

What are your thoughts on this sort of gasification/particle size reduction trend that has recently been revived from the ashes of the sublimator and its hotly debated claims?

I see a lot of people hailing the FK-Electropath combo as the hardest hitter they’ve ever used. Then there’s the tornado which claims to do similar things, and the small number of users that have it on here and discord say it’s doing *something* that gets them higher faster and for longer.

I know there’s been a lot of debate on the topic in the past when the sub was first hitting the scene. I’ve tried reading as much of that as I can, but I’d also like to know if opinions have changed as tech and understanding of the underlying concepts has done.

Why do people using these devices all report getting so damn high? What’s actually going on here?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the knowledge you and some other users drop on this site regularly

Opening Pandora's box casually on a Tuesday morning I see :uhoh::lol:

Respect to these companies and the individuals piloting them but since you asked for my take - I think it's great marketing, every weed and vape company wants you to believe their products are the strongest so that's all cool.

But the physics involved seem to leave a lot to the imagination.

My stance is pretty simple - there's no compression available to actually atomize the working fluid into smaller particles.

You would need laser scattering to actually test this, but as a visual analogy, here's what the process would sort of look like:

einhell-diy-cleaning-devices-high-pressure-cleaners-content-classic.jpg

Notice nobody can achieve this result by plugging a nozzle directly to a water hose or faucet.
To achieve this you need a source of compression to compress the fluid enough to pass it through a very tiny orifice and break the droplets up into smaller sizes.

How-to-Get-Rid-of-Spray-Paint-Smell.png

It's not something that could be reproduced with human lung power. This is similar to when dabbers claim the lungs pull a vacuum when using a carb cap with an air inlet. Imagine trying to seal a vacuum bag with a hole in it. :doh:

As I posted early on in the Tornado thread, this exact particle size reduction claim was already made with the Anvil, so IMHO this new model is sort of automatically disqualified for not understanding the assignment.

And I like the Anvil a lot. It's one of the few vapes I would buy that isn't my own.
But a particle size distribution test would demonstrate, analytically, if this was actually occurring.
If anyone had the background and ability to provide that test, it would be that company.

It is true that smaller size particles would theoretically be more bioavailable, but the second you run those smaller particles through a water bong or some dimpled or angled dry rig they would coagulate and condense back into larger sizes, even if it was possible.

As far as the potency comments, it's always kinda hard to tell between honeymoons, new strains, and varying experience levels: there's people on FC that still think the MFLB is the best ever made. It's like asking 100 stoners what the strongest herb they ever had was.
It's just so subjective. I love when people say my vapes are the strongest they've used too, so I get it, but quantifying potency continues to be a challenging issue to demonstrate with this choice plant.

If I think the ZX is stronger than the Anvil, and I don't claim the ZX has the ability to turn basketballs into golfballs, what would that make of any of it? Just an opinion at this point I suppose. It's cool that we live in a time with all these choices. I remember when we had to choose between a Solo or a Volcano :lol:

Ironically the main debate with the Sublimator wasn't even this particle size concept, it was their more abstract claim of sublimating cannabinoids - going from a solid directly to a gas, with no liquid phase, just like dry ice... :hmm:

The particle size thing with the Sub was obviously never occurring, as the atomizing "nozzle" was always full of condensed reclaim that fell out of phase before the vapor even left the bowl. At the time the Sub was booming, there wasn't all these big coil powered heavy hitters to choose from like there is now, so it didn't really matter if the claims were true or not as it was still potent and there weren't a bunch of other devices to compare it to.

The Tornado improves on this by adding copper cladding down the sidewalls to (theoretically) put the "atomizer" at equilibrium with the heater. Much better approach.
But there's still no compression source to break the fluid up into smaller particles.
If running vapor through a smaller hole was enough to make the vape stronger, we could all just switch to 10MM water pipes.

Ideally in my mind you would want to reheat the mixture hotter than the first vaporization temperature to supersaturate the fluid, which wouldn't be possible with the Tornado. But again, even if you could, by the time you cooled that back down to a more comfortable level, it seems like that effort would have been wasted.

Gasification, just like sublimation, sounds fancy and scientific.
In the end these words and stories are good for sales.
And I wonder why nobody has invited me onto their vape podcast to discuss physics lol :lol:

I think the Electropath is the only one that you can actually run the bowl temp higher than the main heater, but I'm not sure how much you can go without risking combustion at the herb as I haven't had an opportunity to play with one. But the dual heaters should also solve the condensate issue that the Sub had so I'm sure it's a very powerful device. I know for a fact that @Custom Flower Hardware is just like me in that we wouldn't release a vape unless we truly felt it could compete against the best of the best.

Respect to both of these companies for taking on this challenging industry.

Have had my ZX's and my ZXL on hot holes for a couple of months now. Love the ease of wireless. Run the ZX and ZXL high 400s to low 500s depending on the strain/age/water vessel. I can do both in one hit at these temps, The recovery is quick, under 2 minutes, but your mileage may vary. Temps are soooooo subjective. What I do know is both of these are far superior to all of the Metal heads that came before, they work perfectly well wireless and they rock! Thanks Inverted!

So so much for rocking ultra heavy with the Z Tribe friend!
Post a photo if you have a chance, I'm sure the 'Tribe would love to see what you got going :wave:

fropones

It's not something that could be reproduced with human lung power. This is similar to when dabbers claim the lungs pull a vacuum when using a carb cap with an air inlet. Imagine trying to seal a vacuum bag with a hole in it. :doh:
Inhalation does pull about 50 mmHg of vacuum (maybe more depending on the pressure drop of the air inlet and the effects of the ideal gas law), but that's still a long ways from the 760 mmHg of full vacuum.

Gasification, just like sublimation, sounds fancy and scientific.
In the end these words and stories are good for sales.
And I wonder why nobody has invited me onto their vape podcast to discuss physics lol :lol:
Placebo effect has a negative connation, but I think that this kind of marketing is probably tied to why people are reporting getting much higher with it. I believe they are getting higher, but due more to psychosomatic effects than anything unique to the device.

RedZep

Inhalation does pull about 50 mmHg of vacuum (maybe more depending on the pressure drop of the air inlet and the effects of the ideal gas law), but that's still a long ways from the 760 mmHg of full vacuum.

Placebo effect has a negative connation, but I think that this kind of marketing is probably tied to why people are reporting getting much higher with it. I believe they are getting higher, but due more to psychosomatic effects than anything unique to the device.
I think people are getting much higher because it has a 0.3g bowl. I sold my Anvil a while back, but I recall it was quite potent.

I'm sure the ZXXL will make people much higher than the ZX for the same reasons :shrug:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Yeah I think having the seed planted that you’re going to get higher than you ever have is a good start.
But I want my products to get people higher too, so I get it.

I think people are getting much higher because it has a 0.3g bowl. I sold my Anvil a while back, but I recall it was quite potent.

I'm sure the ZXXL will make people much higher than the ZX for the same reasons :shrug:

The irony is a bigger bowl should counteract the alleged particle size reductions.

But a big bowl helps a lot for supersizing the experience.
That’s why I’m thinking of moving up to a larger format for my thermodynamically optimized designs, as it seems like there’s more demand in that category than say, microdose oriented stuff.

RedZep

Yeah I think having the seed planted that you’re going to get higher than you ever have is a good start.
But I want my products to get people higher too, so I get it.

The irony is a bigger bowl should counteract the alleged particle size reductions.

But a big bowl helps a lot for supersizing the experience.
That’s why I’m thinking of moving up to a larger format for my thermodynamically optimized designs, as it seems like there’s more demand in that category than say, microdose oriented stuff.
Speaking for myself, I much prefer my manual vapes to have large bowls. When doing multiple microdose bowls with them, the effort is exponential, and ends up annoying me. This even applies to those that can use an induction heater.

Better to have a big bowl, and some kind of bowl reducer for those who only want to microdose imo. Though others may disagree.

For me the ZX is my perfect microdose experience. Zero friction. Zero effort. Can have a quick little snap whenever I like.

I never bother going half bowl in my Tempest anymore.

I honestly believe the whole reason this segment of the market opened up was because there were many people who loved the Dynavap first, then just got sick and tired of the constant work needed go through mutiple heat cycles for multiple bowls. If people are going to go through the effort of using a torch or induction heater, they want the result to make the effort worth while.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Speaking for myself, I much prefer my manual vapes to have large bowls. When doing multiple microdose bowls with them, the effort is exponential, and ends up annoying me. This even applies to those that can use an induction heater.

Better to have a big bowl, and some kind of bowl reducer for those who only want to microdose imo. Though others may disagree.

For me the ZX is my perfect microdose experience. Zero friction. Zero effort. Can have a quick little snap whenever I like.

I never bother going half bowl in my Tempest anymore.

I honestly believe the whole reason this segment of the market opened up was because there were many people who loved the Dynavap first, then just got sick and tired of the constant work needed go through mutiple heat cycles for multiple bowls. If people are going to go through the effort of using a torch or induction heater, they want the result to make the effort worth while.

It's definitely hard to tell regarding bowl capacity because on Reddit I see a lot of people saying they just like to use the half bowl setting with their Dyna's. That's how I liked to use Dyna's too, the ELEMENT was inspired by that experience.

My original thermodynamically optimized design has a very small bowl, but the larger model has a more familiar bowl size.
Maybe better to start with that.
I'm thinking of using a formed screen, like a log vape, to make the bowl depth completely adjustable.
I said in a recent post that I'm not the biggest fan of these types of screens, but it would serve a better purpose in this design.

RedZep

It's definitely hard to tell regarding bowl capacity because on Reddit I see a lot of people saying they just like to use the half bowl setting with their Dyna's. That's how I liked to use Dyna's too, the ELEMENT was inspired by that experience.

My original thermodynamically optimized design has a very small bowl, but the larger model has a more familiar bowl size.
I'm thinking of using a formed screen, like a log vape, to make the bowl depth completely adjustable.
I said in a recent post that I'm not the biggest fan of these types of screens, but it would serve a better purpose in this design.
I guess the question is do you go after the Dynavap crowd who like the small bowl, or go after those who want an elevated experience like the Tempest, Anvil etc. I think the latter group are much more likely to spend on a premium experience.

You know more than me though. My take is purely subjective and biased.

fropones

I second looking for big bowls/hits on butane devices. I only use the XL bowl for the Anvil, and have generally moved away from DVs to more powerful butane vapes. I think the market is trending that way, too - look at the HyperDyn, for instance. Not to say that there aren't folks out there who would like to use butane (and perhaps any?) vapes for microdosing.

Top Bottom