Orion Induction Heater

stark1

Lonesome Planet
“Suspend use, do not charge” —Now that’s a heart stopper.
Hd Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Meditation

I’m waiting for a return sticker to be emailed so I can send mine back. It’s developed a ticking sound when it’s switched on. Funnily enough I got the email about the battery problems just as mine started ticking. I’ve sent a video on request and Dynavap have said to stop using it. They have offered me a refund or replacement it’s up to me. For the price of it and the time it seemed to take to develop I have to say I’m disappointed that the consumers seem to be the testers, the customer service has been ok so far but that doesn’t heat the tip!

Shorner

Mines got a crack appear, only had it 3 weeks or so and I've treated it like a baby theres a couple of vids on YouTube with people with the same problem...

Apart from that im over the moon with my orion.

thunderstealer1337

...in China.

How do you do QC on a closed and sealed box @thunderstealer1337 ? LOL I hear you. Welcome to the world of the big boys.

Artisan - Blemished; builder will flog himself with 20 lashes.
Corp - Please follow these asinine instruction into infinity -exactly- , and we can see about getting you whole ...someday. ...maybe.
Easy, send your mfg engineer or quality engineer or someone over to the factory and set up qc inspection plans or introduce in process inspection on the production line for 100% and or both, verify its up and data recorded is useable (this maybe weeks or few months on end) then fly back to your hometown and ask for your reports/data from the various lots/batches that factory is producing. This is really not that hard to do...... just know you need to be doing it, you need to factor qc into product launches and not push beta products onto the end user, if you were in the tech industry your single chance of reputation is stained forever, for this cannabis/vape industry - its way different, there aren't 10 other competitors (yet) lined up right behind you trying to sell the same thing to your market.

Sorry I work in a mfg environment with vendors all over the world, ppl always forget, your the paying customer - you write the contract - you can write anything you want into it, 100% first article inspection reports for every single item produced, sure - your going to be paying for it though.

Imo, dynavap has made a killing on the products they sell, a turned piece of steel or ti, tbvh with the pandemic - there is no reason now you dont have a mini segway with a tablet on it walking the factory floor and acting as if they were on site, they can review and see and react real time now.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I work in this industry as well. I had the wake-up with China through Intel's first foray into the 'land of confusion'. Singing to the choir buddy LOL

Dynatec just put too much trust in China. The turnkey model is alluring. Problem is, China can replicate a problem at 100,000 pieces when your back is turned. For this particular product, the button-up would be cheaper to do at home rather than sending people to partner with a Chinese liaison.

However, no amount of manufacturing engineering can fix design issues. Again, China can make 100,000 great products as well as they can build 100,000 poorly designed products. Most quality issues are dealt with in design, not on the factory floor. Inspection tools and in-circuit testing capabilities all cost time which in China is money.

Orion has a few issues to deal with. Nothing outlandish. I fit in the camp of designing it foolproof for manufacturing and users so that the build can happened anywhere. I would dump the plastic's designer, toolmaker, and fab house. I trust they knew to design for thermal conditions.

The sealed nature of the product also doesn't make sense. That was a high level call that wasn't necessary. A simple heatshield upgrade might have solved the latest concern.

thunderstealer1337

Dynatec just put too much trust in China. The turnkey model is alluring. Problem is, China can replicate a problem at 100,000 pieces when your back is turned. For this particular product, the button-up would be cheaper to do at home rather than sending people to partner with a Chinese liaison.

However, no amount of manufacturing engineering can fix design issues. Again, China can make 100,000 great products as well as they can build 100,000 poorly designed products. Most quality issues are dealt with in design, not on the factory floor. Inspection tools and in-circuit testing capabilities all cost time which in
Yea been there done that, its still constant improvement, we send ppl to china 2/4 weeks of the month, its part of the job....

I dunno, but the portable segway/tablet is a real thing, I have it in my facility already, one doesnt have to be physically there, but one can be there to watch the data dump and say hold this lot for further qc.

And we dealt with plenty of design issues on the factory floor, its part of the design for manufacturability feedback..... pfema/dfema will call this out as well, again im not sure if you want me to dive deep into this because its however the contract is written and the internal organizations follow through/execute it.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
No reason to delve into this too far. I got in on the front end and you are dealing with the results. It is very manageable for most serious ventures.
DynaTec has a lot more to learn though. Maybe they can hire you to do that [?] They're always looking for talent and I think this area could use an expert.

TommyDee,

rvarick

I’m waiting for a return sticker to be emailed so I can send mine back. It’s developed a ticking sound when it’s switched on. Funnily enough I got the email about the battery problems just as mine started ticking. I’ve sent a video on request and Dynavap have said to stop using it. They have offered me a refund or replacement it’s up to me. For the price of it and the time it seemed to take to develop I have to say I’m disappointed that the consumers seem to be the testers, the customer service has been ok so far but that doesn’t heat the tip!
Mine was intermittently doing the ticking thing as well when the Orion was on but waiting for a cap to be inserted. I decided to take DV up on the refund this time, given this was my second unit already. I appreciated the flexibility on returning, but overall wasn't enamored with the experience. I never came around to loving the heating, which I still found to be too aggressive and focused towards the end of the cap (on a Ti tip at least). And then the recent communications re: the battery issues were ambiguous enough to cause concern. Stepping back to my PSM, I realized how much more I prefer the heating profile it offers, which is even as well as also customizable with timing and pulsing (unlike the Orion).

Volmara

If you choose to return it, DV will either replace, or refund.

A positive CS.
More about what faults are occurring to warrant the recall, what hazards does continued use pose? I haven’t seen any details beyond the email. I agree I’m pleased to see them step into it responsibly and do the right thing to resolve this to a reasonably satisfied customer base.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
If it is not an all-out recall, it shouldn't be a safety issue if you heed the warning(s). If it charges normal, it is presumed safe. If it gets a cosmetic crack, you have options. They'll fix this.

JamesTiberiousKirk

UPDATE BELOW Original Post

I have stopped using my dearly loved Orion IH out of an abundance of caution.I sent the following email and a photo to DV asking for advise.

"Hi, I have been loving my Orion IH, but I am also concerned. After the email last week on possible glitches on the Orion have noticed the following:

1. The Orion charges quickly, but still seems to give at least 50 clicks per charge (that's good)
2. It has developed a crack (photo attached) but has not been dropped or mishandled. (that's bad)
3. It ticks when it is on, and after a heat cycle. This my have been present before, I never listened to it carefully before the notifications of glitches. (that's concerning)​

I have stopped using my Orion out of concern for the second and third point above.

Should I be concerned and get a replacement?

Please advise. Thanks

If it is a concern, I think I will try to swap it for a Rover.

**UPDATE**

That was quick, here is DVs reply. I think I will hold on the the Orion and watch it carefully. But if yuo got one, It's a COLLECTORS ITEM now!

"Thanks for reaching out to us at Dynavap,

We are sorry to hear about your Orion! If your device isn't performing up to a satisfactory manner for any reason, please immediately suspend use and do not charge. We will accept a return of your Orion and provide you with a full refund. If you would prefer a replacement we can offer you an improved unit once we have them available. If your Orion is not having any issues, please continue to use the device with confidence, and please report to us if any issues arise. It is up to you, and what you feel comfortable with.

We’re extremely proud of our low return rate. We intend to maintain a low rate of return on all products and want to ensure that everything we sell & distribute meets and exceeds our customer’s expectations.

The Orion currently does not meet that standard, so we are suspending the future sale until we can get these issues corrected and can provide a product worthy of the brand.

We love what we do and appreciate you. Thank you for helping us ensure the best possible experience for everyone in the DynaVerse.

Thank you,

Team DynaVap"

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
DV has not been forthcoming as to the actual issue with regard to batteries. If the problem is with the quality of the battery, I would send it back. If it something else not behaving properly that has no direct affect on the battery, then I may let it ride. The cryptic email points to the former.

JamesTiberiousKirk

DV has not been forthcoming as to the actual issue with regard to batteries. If the problem is with the quality of the battery, I would send it back. If it something else not behaving properly that has no direct affect on the battery, then I may let it ride. The cryptic email points to the former.
Hi TommyDee, I posted DVs quick reply above. Still cryptic, but willing to accept replacement/refund. I just wish I knew if the crack and ticking noise could be battery related? If this thing blows up in my face they will get a stern scolding from landlord.

**UPDATE**
...and I have a prepaid return label delivered. Gonna get the Rover! Good dogg!

Great CS from DV and Tisha!

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The crack is not related. I have no idea what the ticking noise is. There is a rattle that can be noted but not a ticking sound. Never heard noise from an IH unless it was added specifically.

The lack of urgency in the reply is comforting to an extent. They are not worried about fire hazards so they must know the root cause. And it won't 'blow up'. LiPo just acts like a flare.

JamesTiberiousKirk

The crack is not related. I have no idea what the ticking noise is. There is a rattle that can be noted but not a ticking sound. Never heard noise from an IH unless it was added specifically.

The lack of urgency in the reply is comforting to an extent. They are not worried about fire hazards so they must know the root cause. And it won't 'blow up'. LiPo just acts like a flare.
Now you have me conflicted TommyDee. If it is just a cosmetic crack (and unrelated clicking) and not a battery issue, maybe I should keep it? Love the agressive heating.

But I still would not want a road flare going off in my pocket whether it explodes or not! :)

JamesTiberiousKirk,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Tough call but know that you have an out with DV when you change your mind. Might be better waiting for the new stock to arrive.

TommyDee,
Reactions: mero614
I wanted to come back and let everyone know what happened with my ORION that I returned back in Oct and where I am with it as of right now

I returned my Orion to Dynavap after the first day of use because I was getting only 9 clicks to dead on the battery, I was sent back what seams to be the same unit but I think it had been opened to replace or repair the unit(the seam where the unit comes apart seemed to have some glue residue and some light was coming out of a seam) this really was not a big deal I figured if it bothered me to much I would just fill the gap with a small amount of glue but I just left it.
I got the unit and used it and counted all the clicks for the nest few days, my results where not great I was getting 30-45 clicks each charge with all but the one 45 being in the 30-37 range making me have to charge 3 times a day to for my amount of use.
After having my unit back for only 3 days I got the dreaded email from Dynavap about charging problems this did not help with my confidence in this product am I a beta tester? WTF
On to where we are now,
after about 3-4 weeks of daily use(other then having to use my other IH I have as backup(all wall units).
I have noticed that the unit is taking on scratches and marks from daily use normally this would not be a big deal but the unit seams to really seem to scratch and mark really easy I have always taken good care of the unit and its never been dropped or anything and about 3 days ago I noticed a small hairline crack in the plastic forming! and now yesterday I noticed 2 chips appear on a seam of the unit that where not there before(keep in mind that I have not dropped this unit in any way or tried to open it in any way.
Moving forward to now, I just finished a bowl and the light turned blue so I turned the unit off and picked it up to take to charge(this really sucks as now I am paranoid that this thing is going to burn down my house so I have to keep a close eye on it for safety) as soon as I picked the unit up the plastic snapped in my hand! It seams that the plastic could not handle the magnet pulling on the metal parts on the inside of the unit pulling the magnet through the plastic and sticking it to the parts inside the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so disappointed in this unit when it works it works like a dream but the build and parts are a nightmare.
I am so disappointed in Dynavap putting there name on this china junk.
Im so frustrated time to have my attitude adjusted now.

I wanted to add in the edit that the charge cable only lasted about 10 days till it failed.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
tired i don't know GIF by Denyse®
Would you please post pictures of your fail?

I am told both the Rover, and Orion
Are U.S. made, not Chinese.

The hairline cracking issue has developed in some of the Orion units, you can
Get a full refund, or if you choose, get a replacement when the issue is addressed.

Mine has also developed a hairline fracture, for the time being I
am using the heftier Rover until the issue is resolved. 🙏

Contact CS, service is stellar.

Meditation

My Orion went back for a refund, got it straight away no messing about. Can’t fault Dynavap for there CS. It’s a shame because I got to like it, once I had worked out the right tip/cap combo for my tastes it was good. Being able to chuck it all in the case was another good thing,as was the insert sensor, I went for the refund mainly because of the plastic case imo it felt cheap and fragile and no obvious way to change the battery made me want the refund, especially as there is a lot of choice for IH heaters now.

Top Bottom