• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Orion Induction Heater

nIcE

:nod: That sounds about right to me... Hahaha...
Also I do not care so much about the CE (although located in the EU, I am aware of it's shortcommings), but the FCC listings should include those juice shots of the insides, that is all I was looking for... :spliff:

Last edited:
nIcE,

LabPong

Im testing a beta unit....lead engineer told me it might not be as hot as the production units....but Im not sure yet.....this beta unit gets pretty damn hot. After 3 or 4 heating's killing a bowl on my BB9 with a Ti........the glass stem is fairly hot.....much more so than my other IH's.

I am going to see if the heat created is in a larger band than my others.....that is my initial opinion after little use. That and raising the floor a bit....hope it wont mess with the heating sensor ability.

emily

I really like this little thing! It makes the Dynavap quite different to use compared with a wired IH unit or the torch. The Orion heats much faster and more aggressively than my Vapoven wired unit. There's something particularly satisfying about the small size of the unit, and holding it in one hand while you hold your Dynavap in the other. And watching the blinking little light. The whole process is a lot of fun.

Having said that, it feels overpriced. I use it with my Dynavap M, and one of the really impressive things about that vaporizer is how cheap it is, and how extremely durable it is. This Orion does not carry on that tradition. I guess the M's are sold cheaply to get people to in to upgrade and buy accessories. So perhaps this complaint is more a compliment about how good a deal a Dynvap M is.

If you've got the cash, this is great. It makes the whole experience of using the Dynavap quite different, and the vibe is gooooood.

SPQ28GHBZ665.jpg

cujaflow

I have to say I really enjoy mine as well. The 2020 M was my first Dynavap, and I learned to use it with a butane zippo insert. There was a bit of a learning curve to dial into best heating techniques with a torch. I have had the Orion for 2 weeks, and I think this shrinks the learning curve signifcantly. I am really happy with how many hits you can get from one bowl. I have used the Orion 2 sessions everyday for two weeks. Each session is 1 cap with 4 heating sessions per cap. I leave the unit powered on the entire time for about 5-7 minutes per session. So I am not super diligent about saving as much power as possible. I have charged the device once when I received the unit, and 1 more time to recharge. It is very compact and very fast to heat up. My AVB has been very even as well.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I leave the unit powered on the entire time for about 5-7 minutes per session. So I am not super diligent about saving as much power as possible. I have charged the device once when I received the unit, and 1 more time to recharge.

I don't know the schematic, but I doubt it's using any power when not actively heating. My PSM has an power switch, but I never use it. It remains on because the unit only puts a drain on the battery when heating a vapcap.

You must be so happy going from a Zippo to an IH. I was never any good with a torch. My Lotus was much more forgiving in that regard.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,

cujaflow

I don't know the schematic, but I doubt it's using any power when not actively heating. My PSM has an power switch, but I never use it. It remains on because the unit only puts a drain on the battery when heating a vapcap.

You must be so happy going from a Zippo to an IH. I was never any good with a torch. My Lotus was much more forgiving in that regard.
Yes! I was using a double flame torch as well. While I can appreciate the art of using the torch, I have not used it since I received the Orion. I feel I have more control and can get more precise with the heater.

rvarick

After experiencing the aggressive heating issues I mentioned earlier in this thread, I sent my Orion back to Dynavap and I received a replacement one this week. I'm (somewhat) happy to report that the new one seems a little less aggressive. Where before, hit #2 was pretty black; I can now get 2-3 bowls out of a Ti Tip/Regular Cap (set to a full bowl). The first hit is pretty flavorful, the 2nd is roasty, and the 3rd is less than enjoyable/charred, but not a waste.

I still think the Orion is a bit over-aggressive though for my preference. I'm also seeing some inconsistent AVB, with the top of the cap getting really dark, and the bottom towards the stem being greener. I'm thinking I may be able to work something out where I count flashes on the 3rd hit instead of listening for the click to keep it under char temp and still get full extraction - which isn't optimal, but doable. I also actually combusted on my first bowl trying that "inhale to the click" technique DV covered on "the snap" recently, although it was the 3rd hit, but still - fuck combustion; especially with an IH and pulling right at the click!

rvarick,
Reactions: Crimi

rvarick

Do you have different generations of caps @rvarick ?
I have multiple 2019 caps (including a 19’ phantom cap and cvap cap), a low temp and captive cap. The 2019s are my go-tos. The low temp might get some use in the Orion finally, while I still am not a fan of the captive cap and have relegated it to just torch duty.

Last edited:
rvarick,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Interesting find today - coupling the cap to an IH. I have an '18, C-Vap, and a new parts purchased 2020 standard cap. The 2020 serialized cap coupled with the IH by around 20% reduced power. I'm suggesting some late model caps will reduce how aggressively the Orion heats the cap. The 2020 captive cap is a good candidate for that test.

I need to do better on documenting this but it is a nasty thing to find when you're studying IHs.

rvarick

Interesting find today - coupling the cap to an IH. I have an '18, C-Vap, and a new parts purchased 2020 standard cap. The 2020 serialized cap coupled with the IH by around 20% reduced power. I'm suggesting some late model caps will reduce how aggressively the Orion heats the cap. The 2020 captive cap is a good candidate for that test.

I need to do better on documenting this but it is a nasty thing to find when you're studying IHs.
Interesting, the possibility that different generations of caps could account for significant heating differences would explain a bit as to why the Orion seems to be getting such varying feedback across a # of users. I've read everything from "love it, game changer", to "hate it, can't even get two hits before combustion" (me on my first one), to even: "it's not producing vapor" (!). Also the variation between my two units shows that even as an official, mass-market product; these can indeed differ from unit to unit. I shouldn't be that surprised I guess - I have multiple Ti Tips, caps as mentioned, etc. - and they all differ too!

Minor edit to my previous comment above: realized I said "2-3 bowls" but obviously meant "2-3 hits" here. I guess the Orion is working :)

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@rvarick - Finding this cap variation puts the Orion back on being a lot more consistent than first thought. Variation is in caps makes a lot more sense than a common product variation. The work coil depth is the only real variance they can make unless there are allowable inductor changes at the factory, which I doubt Chris would allow to happened. I doubt there is even enough room for 2mm of variance in coil position. It should be a lot more consistent than I was seeing in reports, including the need for a LTC solution. I suspect in reality, the Orions out there are very consistent.

One can always put a cork dot in the bottom to make it click sooner, but that is only a Band-Aid. Remember that we are heating a pipe waiting for the heat to reach the end. With a small coil and targeted heat, that clicker end is a lot further away when the time aspect is applied to the formula.

Also remember to put in the performance metric of battery status. A designer of IHs has to make the entire range, 11.1-9V usable. This inevitably leaves a heated tip hot right after the charge and wanting on the tail end. Orion may have a sweet spot after a couple of bowls. if you always charge, you may never see that. But I'll tell you, when the Orion gets near the need for charging, the bake will slow and the heat much more consistent. orion is as much a part of the session as the vape session itself.

edit; Fucking words LOL here; watch the Power in the lower left of the meter.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Hmmm – I don't have an Orion, but I have three generations of (regular) caps in usage, and while each of them has their own personality, they do not behave *that* different in my IHs.

thunderstealer1337

I've gone through like 10 caps, only the one that came with a omnixl had issues 2nd click was super close to combustion and when I did not pay attention and went past click that one had issues, it's back to torch duty and doesn't have any issues via torch. The remaining 9+ perform the same at clicks and going 2-5 secs after clicks as well.

Also the rma replacement orion's are out in the field and ppl report they literally function differently (heating up with same caps)

I would say their qc is following suit with what I see, getting worst and not getting better, sad for new product launches (6+ with broken power buttons recently)

thunderstealer1337,

Toivarita

999 Forever
Its overpriced for a throw-away plastic device. It is unique. We weight its value. I'll be selling mine. I just have way better behaving IH's of my own making.
Still selling the Orion? I would be very interested at a fair price.

Toivarita,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I sold the Orion, yes. Hot commodity. Last check, DV only had 16. There will be shortages.

And an update on the 2020 variance - the 2020 cap works pretty much the same. They take about 20% longer to heat but clicks consistent with older caps. Somehow, they have a bit more clouding. What I'm getting at is that 2020 tips are probably easier to use in Orion since it takes another second to get hot.

Careful @nIcE - you could wind up Orionless.

TommyDee,
  • Haha
Reactions: nIcE

Toivarita

999 Forever
I sold the Orion, yes. Hot commodity. Last check, DV only had 16. There will be shortages.

And an update on the 2020 variance - the 2020 cap works pretty much the same. They take about 20% longer to heat but clicks consistent with older caps. Somehow, they have a bit more clouding. What I'm getting at is that 2020 tips are probably easier to use in Orion since it takes another second to get hot.

Thanks for the info. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this info about the new cape? When did they start making them longer to heat?

Toivarita,

nIcE

Careful @nIcE - you could wind up Orionless.
I probably break it first. 😬
Oh and did I say 250. I ment 2500 😏

Thanks for the info. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this info about the new cape? When did they start making them longer to heat?
That is due to the higher mass in the tip. I think when they introduced they spoke about that and some other places as well, Troy and jerry for example.

Edit: adding reply to Toivarita to avoid double posting

Toivarita

999 Forever
I probably break it first. 😬
Oh and did I say 250. I ment 2500 😏

That is due to the higher mass in the tip. I think when they introduced they spoke about that and some other places as well, Troy and jerry for example.

Edit: adding reply to Toivarita to avoid double posting
If I purchased a 4th of July package from Dynavap with a 2020 M and a 2019 Phantom, would you say I have the updated M?
I did recently satisfy my VAS by purchasing any first butane powered vape and doing a warranty replacement flight box that had not been used for a good amount of time. But the magnetic action of the Orion to replace a button switch is amazing.
I haven’t touched my torch for the dynavap since I’ve got a Caldron.
I definitely have to get rid of some things before getting the Orion. For my wallet’s sake.

Toivarita,

nIcE

Updated M? They are usually consisten throughout a series. So if you got a 2020, there will be more mass in the tip.
Taking your example, you got both. A 2020 and a 2019. The phantom is considered a M as well. Just got a fancy coat on.

nIcE,

Toivarita

999 Forever
Updated M? They are usually consisten throughout a series. So if you got a 2020, there will be more mass in the tip.
Taking your example, you got both. A 2020 and a 2019. The phantom is considered a M as well. Just got a fancy coat on.
Yes, of course. I thought there was talk of an update TO the 2020 M. As if there was bad reviews on the first 2020M models so they changed the caps sometime in 2020. Am I misunderstanding?

Toivarita,
Top Bottom