Orion Induction Heater

JoeKickass

Not sure if its been mentioned before but the alignment is very important with this IH, i found after I made sure to hold the dynavap straight vertical i stopped getting combustion.

With other IH's that have a deeper hole it is a non-issue as the dynavap aligns vertical naturally, but the shallow hole of the Orion v2 means if you just toss the vape in there sometimes it rests crooked.

Due to the nature of induction heating that creates hotspots, and more often than not combustion!

JoeKickass,

pmthokku

Is there anything better than orion v2 for on the go? Do people use the Ispire Wand for on the go (i.e. is it too large?). Thinking of getting an IH because I am finding it difficult to not overdose on my TM :D
Ok, so I pulled the trigger on the wand. Also ordered a couple of molicels+nitecore charger. If I can get some friends interested, will try to build a supercompact IH with 18650s.

pmthokku

This isn't the right place for a discussion of the Wand (FC mods like threads to stay on topic, in this case Orion heaters), but, I've been using one for the last 6 months and really like it. It's heavy but well rounded so it doesn't stab through your pocket.
I understand. This particular thread seems to be getting no attention lately, possibly because of multiple people saying that the plastic case cracks at some point. The youtube videos tend to focus on performance rather than long term reliability. I had to come to FC to ask people if they would buy the orion v2 again if they could go back in time. I assumed the answer was No :D. I would have loved to get one, it looks super portable, has cool features like vapcap detector and battery indicator. Too bad.

6bic6kle6

I understand. This particular thread seems to be getting no attention lately, possibly because of multiple people saying that the plastic case cracks at some point. The youtube videos tend to focus on performance rather than long term reliability. I had to come to FC to ask people if they would buy the orion v2 again if they could go back in time. I assumed the answer was No :D. I would have loved to get one, it looks super portable, has cool features like vapcap detector and battery indicator. Too bad.
love mine so much i got another with the latest omni deal! Now there was nothing to worry about with doing the MOO MOD
use it daily and i am always on the go. up to 8 caps during the day and i get 2 days sometimes 3 out of the batteries. depends on how much i pulse that auto detect drains it faster when you are trying for the slow heat up. its worth it.
charges fast. i usually charge it when it first turns blue.
i have a single crack but its only aesthetically noticeable. haha i said that because i am typically using it on the go and rarely touch that spot. I took it apart for the MOO MOD and it stayed intact.

lost my touch with a torch so i am playing with these IH's

6bic6kle6,

pmthokku

love mine so much i got another with the latest omni deal! Now there was nothing to worry about with doing the MOO MOD
use it daily and i am always on the go. up to 8 caps during the day and i get 2 days sometimes 3 out of the batteries. depends on how much i pulse that auto detect drains it faster when you are trying for the slow heat up. its worth it.
charges fast. i usually charge it when it first turns blue.
i have a single crack but its only aesthetically noticeable. haha i said that because i am typically using it on the go and rarely touch that spot. I took it apart for the MOO MOD and it stayed intact.

lost my touch with a torch so i am playing with these IH's
What is the moo mod? Unable to search for it, says keywords too short!!

6bic6kle6

What is the moo mod? Unable to search for it, says keywords too short!!
Simply opening the case to cut off some of the rubber deck, allowing the tip to sit lower for a longer heat up time.
1st hit is surprisingly tasty with more vapor than i am used to(without a drawn out, pulsing heat up. sometimes the orion will time out, sometimes it clicks right before the timeout.
I keep bordering combustion on the second cycle so I am pulling it out a hair early.
No more pulsing with the auto detect(which I got quite good at ha)
I might raise it a hair, I already closed it.
I have been playing with heights by putting a small rock but that has created hot spots.
I am concerned over the moisture that's possibly in the rock(I'm thinking campfire)
Oh search MOO I AM A TREE on YouTube pretty sure it's the bearded guy in most of the demonstrations.
I am learning these wanna build my own.
Have a koilboi too
If anyone knows of any good hacks with the cloud or orion v2 it would be nice to hear.
I have searched but didn't find any "MODS"

6bic6kle6,
Reactions: pmthokku

GCD

Has anybody “re-cased” their Orion? We all know about the cracking issue and I am ready to look at an alternative. I was thinking of something to 3d print but interested to see if anyone had done something.

On another note, does anybody have specs on the battery? Mine is feeling pretty weak now and I’m looking to replace it.

Petetbay

I just ordered the Orion v2 from Sneaky Pete’s Canadian store at a very nice discount $90CDN, but no warranty. Don’t know the reason it’s so cheap and they have more than 1. Has there been some problems with the v2? I know v2 changed a few things that were problematic on the OG, I thought I go for it and hope for the best. Even got another 5% off with his GWN5 code, though I had to order a Argo stem to get the free shipping.:bang:

Orvaxxx

I just ordered the Orion v2 from Sneaky Pete’s Canadian store at a very nice discount $90CDN, but no warranty. Don’t know the reason it’s so cheap and they have more than 1. Has there been some problems with the v2? I know v2 changed a few things that were problematic on the OG, I thought I go for it and hope for the best. Even got another 5% off with his GWN5 code, though I had to order a Argo stem to get the free shipping.:bang:

Mine V2 cracked within a few weeks just like the V1 did.

Dayseed

Mine V2 cracked within a few weeks just like the V1 did.
Same

From the moment I received the V2 I could see (using a loop) differences in the texture of the plastic where my V1 had cracked. Within a couple of days micro fractures appeared in those areas and they eventually opened up and expanded until visible to the naked eye

Orvaxxx

Same

From the moment I received the V2 I could see (using a loop) differences in the texture of the plastic where my V1 had cracked. Within a couple of days micro fractures appeared in those areas and they eventually opened up and expanded until visible to the naked eye
If you would use the sticker you got with it you wouldn’t even see the cracks.
They don’t even sell it in their own store anymore.

Orvaxxx,
Reactions: Petetbay

Petetbay

Thnx for info on the Orion v2, at least I know what I can expect. I hope I luck out and get a problem free unit that can get me a couple years of portable use for cheap, I still see them available from $150-260CDN. I’m good.

Petetbay,

Dayseed

If you would use the sticker you got with it you wouldn’t even see the cracks.
They don’t even sell it in their own store anymore.
This was back during the initial release. The cracking was a dealbreaker so I sent it back. I’ve not used an IH since and prefer the results and usability made possible with an FMJ

Dayseed,
Top Bottom