Orion Induction Heater

Majordude2626

@Majordude2626 - since you have both PSM and Orion in daily rotation, can we bother you for a comparison review at some point?
Of course. My PSM is 2 1/2 years old, so pipes may have made changes in that time. Length and width about the about the same, but Orion is a little more than half as Deep/Height as psm. Orion is much, much lighter. Those dimensions and weight reduction make it much more pocket friendly, as do rounded edges. PSM has a metal enclosure compared to Orion plastic. Orion has a much more aggressive heating profile. The magnet on Orion seems stronger. I really like the usb-c for charging On Orion, not having to carry a dedicated adapter. They operate differently, with PSM requiring you to press to activate as opposed to Orion just drop in. I’d say it’s easier to combust in Orion, but I’ve combusted many times with PSM because I forgot to wait for cool down click. I really like both devices. It will be a more fair comparison when my Orion has withstood the test of time my PSM has. I prefer how the Orion sits low and stable compared to the way the PSM is used tall. I also really like the LED blinks on the Orion during heat up. You can get really consistent, by counting those and see what different numbers do to the temp. PSM wins in some aspects though. User replaceable batt and parts is a big deal. I just bought a replacement battery for 15 USD. Pipes is very responsive, so you may be able to avoid CS woes. I have not dropped either device so I don’t know which is tougher. That’s all I got for now. Both devices really serve my needs well together, but both have to be charged more frequently than I’d would like. If you need that major power bank, you had better look at getting the original Portside, it uses 3 18650’s I think. Or the DynaTec Apollo Rover. There are other IH’s but I don’t have any experience with them.

rvarick

Re: a PSM to Orion comparison, I’ve had my PSM since April and it’s been my main Dynavap driver, mainly used with Ti tips. I just received an Orion yesterday and can make some comparisons as well if helpful.

The Orion heats faster than the PSM it seems, but I don’t care for the experience using it with Ti tips so far. Heating until *exactly* the click in the Orion gets me only 2 hits before nearly black material. The first hit tastes ok, but the 2nd is pretty roasted tasting. On my PSM I can get 3-4 hits, with quality flavor on the first 2. On the PSM I can also decide to keep it below charring by staying near the clicks, or go above the clicks if I want to get a dark extraction. I did have better luck with the Orion using a low temp cap with the Ti, or an SS tip, but I’m not keen on switching to different tips or caps to make it work well for me.

There is an edge for the Orion on the size, weight, and the sensor-based (buttonless) heating, which is pretty cool. However the delay in sensing the device on the Orion eliminates the option for pulse heating which kinda sucks. And I do also like how it sits lower vs. higher. The PSM feels sturdier though, while the finish on the Orion seems cheap for a $200 device, as does the made in China part. I can’t compare battery life yet but the PSM has been fine for me with this. Not sure where I’ll land with the Orion but I’m not 100% loving it at the moment.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thanks for that @Majordude2626 - great observations. Add a Fluxer in the longevity list. 18650 gives me 3 days.

@rvarick - I combusted in the Ti tip on the first test. Haven't rotated back yet. Is there a huge difference in using Ti vs. SS on Orion? And thanks for the candid opinions. I share quiet a few of them.

Last edited:

rvarick

Thanks for that @Majordude2626 - great observations. Add a Fluxer in the longevity list. 18650 gives me 3 days.

@rvarick - I combusted in the Ti tip on the first test. Haven't rotated back yet. Is there a huge difference in using Ti vs. SS on Orion? And thanks for the candid opinions. I share quiet a few of them.
Yes, I’ve seen a huge difference between Ti and SS on the Orion. The SS heats satisfactory on the Orion, and pretty consistent with what I’m used to with Ti tips on the PSM. Ti heats way too fast, and is not very enjoyable for me on the Orion. The Orion seems geared towards M users vs. Omni/Ti tip users. I guess this is a sound business approach as I’m sure there’s more M users, but it seems weird their new high end IH doesn’t seem to cooperate well with their higher end devices.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I doubt alienating a Ti tip was DV's intention for Orion. I'll have more to add when I go back to Ti. More research :cool:

TommyDee,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I actually agree with @TommyDee, I don't think Dynatec was trying to tune the Orion to work in favor of ss tips, I also don't think that would be a wise idea businesswise. Ti and ss tips do behave differently in the same IH of course, but there should be a certain balance between those two materials as both are widely used. I'm surprised to read it's even more aggressive than the PSM which I considered to be manageable, but *pretty* hard hitting, also esp. with ti tips (at least the PSM gen I had).

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I actually agree with @TommyDee, I don't think Dynatec was trying to tune the Orion to work in favor of ss tips, I also don't think that would be a wise idea businesswise. Ti and ss tips do behave differently in the same IH of course, but there should be a certain balance between those two materials as both are widely used. I'm surprised to read it's even more aggressive than the PSM which I considered to be manageable, but *pretty* hard hitting, also esp. with ti tips (at least the PSM gen I had).

I don't think it's beyond the science to produce a device that can adjust heating based on the type of metal used. Any standard mod, like a pico 75w, can be adjusted by type of coil used (Ni, Ti, etc.), temp and wattage settings to customize your usage. I wish this technology could be applied to IH production in some way.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: TommyDee

Planck

believes in Dog
Any standard mod, like a pico 75w, can be adjusted by type of coil used (Ni, Ti, etc.),
All they adjust is the temp change vs. resistance change data set to match the coil material.
The current has to flow through the material for this idea to work.
The mod measures the resistance change and estimates the coil temp change since it is relative to resistance change.

Aren't some of the fluxors capable of variable voltage?

rvarick

@rvarick Can you compare the Ti tip with low temp cap vs. the SS tip with regular cap?
Testing back to back yesterday, a Ti tip with a low temp cap seemed to work similarly to an SS tip with a regular cap over the first 2-3 hits when heating just to the click. The SS tip eventually got a fuller extraction though compared to the Ti. I could have pushed the Ti the rest of the way by going just past the click but was hesitant to try given how quickly the Orion is heating Ti tips.
I doubt alienating a Ti tip was DV's intention for Orion. I'll have more to add when I go back to Ti. More research :cool:
Sorry, didn't mean to portray I was thinking this was intentional by DV. I agree they wouldn't intentionally design an IH that doesn't work well for all their devices. Unfortunately though, for me the Orion isn't playing well with my Ti tips by any means, or at least compared to what I'm used to with the PSM - which handles both types well. Looking forward to more feedback from you and others, especially as it helps me determine whether I may just have an overly-aggressive Orion.
@rvarick I have to agree with all your points. 2 hits with the ti tip (7fin) and its nearly black. I pull right at the click like a ninja and it has a darker roast flavor bordering on combustion.
Thanks - I'm glad to hear it's not just me, I suppose!

Please Post your clicks from full charge to dead battery, I got my unit yesterday and charged it and used it and it seem to not last very long till the battery was dead, so i put a full charge on it and I seem to have a defective unit as I am only getting 9 clicks on this charge with a ti tip. I will be calling dynavap today about it, I have noticed that the unit does like my SS much better,

Update:
I contacted Dynavap and they are replacing the unit.

YellowFever,
Reactions: mero614

LabPong

Add some dense silicone or other element to slightly raise up the floor in the induction tube. Raising the floor up will move the heat towards the tip and give you a tad more time to click. You can try this if your IH is too hot or clicking too fast.

Here is what I used......2mm

2mmSil.jpg

Here is what Pipes is using on top of his switches.....

20200805_214058_zpsuvp0nqpi.jpg

rvarick

Update:
I contacted Dynavap and they are replacing the unit.
Glad to hear, as that does sound defective. Hope it’s back to you quick!

Mine is also on its way back to DV for a look to see if it’s over-heating, based on what I’ve been seeing.

rvarick,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Alright, let's get this out of the way - I just did a fresh Ti fire with a new cap on Orion and it was actually terpy at the click. Better than the SS which is left wanting badly. I don't know how there could have so many different tunes.

For the record, I got about 12 flashes to the click, 6 seconds.

Skinku

I go three blinks past with my Ti and captive cap, four risks combustion.
Maybe they all have their own personalities and it is a feature?

Skinku,
Reactions: Siebter

Majordude2626

Alright, let's get this out of the way - I just did a fresh Ti fire with a new cap on Orion and it was actually terpy at the click. Better than the SS which is left wanting badly. I don't know how there could have so many different tunes.

For the record, I got about 12 flashes to the click, 6 seconds.
Pretty sure I can pull mine out after 10 blinks and it will click, as I remove, no way I'm getting 12 blinks, without overcooking. I might have to talk to them at DV, but my vendor is PIU. Its got a 1 year warranty, so I'll be interested @rvarick's response after they evaluate. I may do a return if this becomes a wide spread issue, that DV is addressing. Or maybe I'll just keep it and learn its ways as is. Mood will probably depend on how many caps I have had. Start out the day like yeah! I'm gonna do something about it and return. End of the day several caps later, nah i'm good, shit aint that bad. I'm bout to goto bed. lol

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
IH's are suppose to be easy to use. I need to get use to the Orion. If I can' it may go back to, or I'll sell it. Either way, useless IH's are paper weights. Orion is far from useless. But will it be comfortable?

TommyDee,

thunderstealer1337

The rover is up my ally capacity wise, unfortunately vas is going crazy, dynavap used to be my 2nd source of vaping, now its like my 5th, otherwise I would have gotten the rover as a spare ih.

thunderstealer1337,
Glad to hear, as that does sound defective. Hope it’s back to you quick!

Mine is also on its way back to DV for a look to see if it’s over-heating, based on what I’ve been seeing.
as for heating mine was great, the first hit was full of turps and gave you a light cloud, the 2nd hit was strong and milky finishing off the herb to a not overly dark brown. just the way I like it! If I'm taking more then 2 hits to finish the herb of them I get frustrated.

YellowFever,

Majordude2626

as for heating mine was great, the first hit was full of turps and gave you a light cloud, the 2nd hit was strong and milky finishing off the herb to a not overly dark brown. just the way I like it! If I'm taking more then 2 hits to finish the herb of them I get frustrated.
Yeah this IH is for you. Most times I like to savor, but if you are in a hurry and need to smash a couple of caps, this thing has got you. I finding that I’m able to get my usual 4 or 5 cycles but I have to finesse a little.

Majordude2626,
Top Bottom