• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Onsen Labs Desktop Pro Vaporizer

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer of the Desktop Pro Vaporizer
Manufacturer
Introducing the Desktop Pro Vaporizer!!!
By OnsenLabs.com

Currently seeking Beta Testers! Here's your opportunity to take part in shaping vaporizer design! Click below to learn more and apply:

https://www.onsenlabs.com/blog/desktop-pro-beta-trial-program

IMG-6521.jpg

Last edited:

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer
Can you only be a Beta tester if you live in Illinois?
Good question! We'll make our foremost selection from those closest to us so we can work hands on if necessary, but depending on the personal details a person provides we may choose more qualified applicants without regard to location.

OnsenLabs,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

elykpeace

exVASted
Good question! We'll make our foremost selection from those closest to us so we can work hands on if necessary, but depending on the personal details a person provides we may choose more qualified applicants without regard to location.
Mmj parient ova here! Looks sweet @OnsenLabs following.. also (applied?) For beta team...thanks!

Adding more to the post:

Specifications

Warm up time: 3-5 minutes
Load capacity: 0.5 grams dry herb
110v input power
High Thermal Capacity, 100 watt Peak Output Ceramic Element; auto-power inhalation attenuating
Durable Borosilicate Glass Heat Shield & Heater Cover
7’8” Power Cord
43” Wand, Hose & Mouthpiece Assembly

Last edited:

Baron23

Introducing the Desktop Pro Vaporizer!!!
By OnsenLabs.com

Currently seeking Beta Testers! Here's your opportunity to take part in shaping vaporizer design! Click below to learn more and apply:

https://www.onsenlabs.com/blog/desktop-pro-beta-trial-program

IMG-6521.jpg

Would I be correct in assuming that the herb chamber is horizontal (in that glass bit you see there) rather like Ditanium.

I think that's one of the valid knocks against the Ditanium and the Plenty (although you can use a liquid pad to keep the herb in place in a Plenty)...the chamber is on sideways (that is, perpendicular to the ground). This tends to force using very full loads, otherwise it falls to the bottom.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I just don't see any other place for the herb chamber.

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer
You're correct, it is a horizontal receptacle. However,

otherwise it falls to the bottom

I only have a problem with herb falling to the bottom of the chamber if I'm trying to micro-dose (anything less than a shallow layer of herb). Otherwise the oils tend to melt and keep it all stuck together after the first hit. Although I do store at 62% RH, so maybe you have some dried out herb that doesn't stick together well?

Have you tried a slower inhalation? When it does fall to the bottom in micro-dosing, it's been my experience that if I inhale slower, that I get a more thorough heating within the chamber.

If that doesn't work, maybe we'll try a more narrow chamber wand for micro-dosers... thoughts?

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Nice to see another new desktop vaporizer! I just filled the form explaining why they need one or more testers from Europe (like me :D).

Looks like this vape is from the same vein than the SilverSurfer, Da budha or Ditanium. Price is not cheap though but maybe it's worth it...

nickb

SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,
This is purely from my experience from the Silver Surfer Vape,
I had that same style of connection on it with the GG whip, & i cahnged the heater cover with the one from the Life Saber which goes straight up instead of 90 degree angle and it seems to deliver a better experience for me, If the heater cover went straight up on this you could make the 90 degree bend in the glass part of the whip instead of the heater cover , just my preference thought i would share

Baron23

I had that same style of connection on it with the GG whip, & i cahnged the heater cover with the one from the Life Saber which goes straight up instead of 90 degree angle and it seems to deliver a better experience for me, If the heater cover went straight up on this you could make the 90 degree bend in the glass part of the whip instead of the heater cover , just my preference thought i would share
That’s what I was implying but I feel my concern was dismissed.

IMO, bottom of oven should always be horizontal, not vertical

lazylathe

Almost there...

That’s what I was implying but I feel my concern was dismissed.

IMO, bottom of oven should always be horizontal, not vertical

So far the only difference I could find was the mention of this on their website:

'High Thermal Capacity, 100 watt Peak Output Ceramic Element; auto-power inhalation attenuating"

Otherwise it looks like a clone of the 7th Floor vapes but see through.
At least the 7th Floor vapes have a tilted forward heater to prevent herb from falling onto the heater rod.

Need to know what is so unique about this new vape.
This will not find it's way to my vape station as it has a :whip:and me no likey them...

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer
I just filled the form explaining why they need one or more testers from Europe (like me :D)

Application received, thanks for applying! We'll keep that in mind when we go through applicants.

Price is not cheap though but maybe it's worth it...

Cheap can be expensive and expensive can be cheap. Other direct delivery systems use metal parts (like metal element stands) in hot zones that exceed 250°F+. Some even use metals as heat exchangers! :o Science has shown us that metals out-gas in a vacuum, and increasingly so at higher temperatures. In my anecdotal experiences, from vape pens to desktops, I wasn't getting the quality vapor I desired; I tasted metals; which is why an inert hot zone was a central focus point for us.

Click for image -->https://ibb.co/xCDHdp8

Soon we will offer a less expensive model option with a clear poly-carbonate heat shield instead of the borosilicate heat shield for $299.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll give this a try!

So the heating element is a ceramic rod and it is in the airpath?

Have a hard time seeing anything `new`here?

1. We've designed an inert hot zone (see image above).
  2. The element has more surface area and a tapered baffle around the element's hot spot to increase air velocity, thus creating a more efficient thermal exchange without sacrificing ease of inhalation.
  3. I'm unfamiliar with others' circuits offhand, but we have auto-power inhalation attenuation, which normalizes the heat drawn over the herb sample according to power draw from the users breath.
  4. We utilize Grade 2 Titanium screens in the vape zone; others use stainless steel or brass.
  5. Patent pending multi-layered thermal isolation and integrated cooling makes this an all day workhorse vape, where many others' products get uncomfortably hot to the touch, we took the time to properly deal with the secondary heat problem.
    Click for image -->https://ibb.co/kQXgXBm
  6. Our Desktop Pro model uses clear parts so that users can easily inspect the equipment for foreign objects and cleanliness.
    GvSVp3k
    Click for image -->https://ibb.co/GvSVp3k
  7. Lastly, and maybe most socially important right now, we've designed the standard Desktop Pro model's aesthetics to be neutral; devoid of the 1970's counter-culture that is often off-putting to former prohibitionists and the scientific community at large. We wanted a user experience that my Grandma would feel comfortable having, and that would make it more difficult for others to stereotype and judge. Not that we won't offer fun upgrades in the future, but for this model we wanted the user experience to be that of a scientific control, or the least bit bias effecting towards the users experience. Society is watching us closely right now; this is our attempt to help us be responsible with that perception. Thus making it easier for health and wellness professionals to recommend our equipment, while minimizing their concern of sending a user into an otherwise often perceived abuse culture.
  8. The above points all contribute to what we dub 'Laboratory Grade'.

I feel my concern was dismissed.

My apologies! I wasn't understanding the contrast to 'that' type of vertical receptacle at first. I was only thinking about upward angle receptacles that don't stay put in place well, and downward receptacles that the herb falls out of and onto the element. We'll definitely try this out and make a plan to offer it as an option in the future if it works! Thanks for your patience in following it through with me.

This will not find it's way to my vape station as it has a :whip:and me no likey them...

I'm not sure what does make it into your vape station, or why you don't like wand and whip systems but if comparing to delayed delivery bag systems, do you factor in the loss of vapor to condensation and gravity?

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
@OnsenLabs

I never said I used bags as a delivery system, and I never compared anything to bags.
One of my daily drivers is the Glass Symphony which is 100% all glass air path, even the screen in glass. Easy, one inhale draw that provides exceptional vapor quality in all areas.

There are many designs out there that do not use out dated whips and ceramic heating elements out there.

I also own a Super Surfer Vape that can be left on all day without getting crazyhit and not being able to touch it. Not really experienced that with any of my vaporizers.

Would like to see some use videos and the resultant ABV picture.

PaperClouds

Maybe I can't see it in the picture but is there a screen in front of the heater making it so no material can into that chamber?

And I can even leave my EQ for hours and hours without getting hot at all in fact there's lots of plug-in's that don't get hot.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
@OnsenLabs I agree with the feedback you have received:
1) Horizontal stem is not practical with concentrates
2) Ceramic heater in air path is no different than many whip vapes, 7th Floor comes to mind
3) Silicon Whip, but all glass and titanium elsewhere?

I’d prefer to stick with my NewVape FlowerPot, all certified medical grade II titanium and glass only in the air path

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
@OnsenLabs I have both a Silver Surfer as well as a Da Buddha, from 7th Floor.

At first glance, from the pictures in this thread, this very much resembles the build of the Da Buddha. What differences would I find in use between this and the Da Buddha? Why should I choose this over that?

Last edited:

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
@OnsenLabs I have both a Silver Surfer as well as a Da Buddha, from 7th Floor.

At first glance, from the pictures in this thread, this very much resembles the build of the Da Buddha. What differences would I find in use between this and the Da Buddha? Why should I choose this over that?
And no response from the OP, I guess ignorance is bliss? Are they hoping only to deal with the naive?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I wasn't trying to shit-talk their product...but it does resemble the 7th Floor vape quite a bit, and I was curious to hear the company give me a few selling points of the greatest differences and what makes this one special! I dunno where the OP went.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I wasn't trying to shit-talk their product...but it does resemble the 7th Floor vape quite a bit, and I was curious to hear the company give me a few selling points of the greatest differences and what makes this one special! I dunno where the OP went.
I agree and nor was I, just the facts. Fact is I do not see anything different from my Da Buddha other than aesthetics.

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer
Thanks all for your patience and sorry for the late reply! We're working hard to get this business off the ground! For more responsive communication please feel free to call our toll free number, 833-667-3652.

I'll try to answer all the questions that have built up here, but please let me know if I misconstrue or miss something.

even the screen in glass.

We've tested a half dozen different types of glass and ceramic screens, but we found they all reduce airflow restriction by ~50% or more. For our base model we decided ease of breathing while still utilizing an inert material was a priority. However, we will still offer a glass screen add on.

There are many designs out there that do not use out dated whips and ceramic heating elements

I don't understand what makes a whip "outdated" in your opinion? Is this a material science reservation you hold? While an all glass path is believed to be ideal, even glass can outgass toxic byproducts into vapor at high enough temperatures. There is no such thing as a carte blanche safe material per se, only a safe temperature operating zone, of which only few materials meet within our planet and products environmental conditions. We've tested and the temperatures that hit our medical grade silicone are well below the thermal limits, which make silicone an inert material in our product.

Same question for ceramic? Al2O3 is essentially the ash of aluminum. What do you see wrong with this material?

I also own a Super Surfer Vape that can be left on all day without getting crazyhit and not being able to touch it. Not really experienced that with any of my vaporizers.

"crazyhot" temperatures are a not just a matter of temperature alone, but also skin thickness, skin cell type (think calluses), and time exposure. Sensitive thin skin is more prone to cellular damage at lower temperatures and shorter time than thick-skinned callused hands. I've experienced this with portables and desktops alike. I believe the Vapexhale's heat shield stands as evidence of this common industry design problem. What do you do for a living? Do you have callused hands?

Would like to see some use videos and the resultant ABV picture.

We're working on use video's now and will post some pictures of the ABV soon!

I personally think glowing ceramic and silicone are much much worse than using metal in the airpath.

I'm confused, metal in the airpath is not a comparable to a ceramic element (different temp zones), although a metal heat exchanger is, like the aluminum one found in a Volcano. The comparison you're making is on two different parts of the product. If you're comparing a ceramic element to a metal element, I disagree.

Maybe I can't see it in the picture but is there a screen in front of the heater making it so no material can into that chamber?

There is not, but we're looking at one way valves to help prevent this, though it will again be at the cost of intake resistance.

@OnsenLabs I agree with the feedback you have received:
1) Horizontal stem is not practical with concentrates
2) Ceramic heater in air path is no different than many whip vapes, 7th Floor comes to mind
3) Silicon Whip, but all glass and titanium elsewhere?

1) Our current version isn't designed for concentrates yet. Although it's on our development plan to have an add on mod to the existing unit for concentrates, which replaces the heater cover and adds a dish to the element.
2)We've modded our ceramic element to have more surface area and baffled the airflow around our hot spot to increase thermal efficiency. To this respect, we are not like any other vaporizer than I'm aware.
3) Redundant to the former quote, but again, what is your reservation with silicone? Do you have a material science argument or maybe I've answered it by this point?

User experience is about more than the product; it's marketing; I understand we're not the only book that others have read and even after you've read us, I understand there is often a strong bond with other brands 'feels'. Although we might not be a good fit for you, we're not claiming to be a fit for everyone. But we are an excellent fit for those concerned with out-gassing, secondary heat issues, ease of inhale, ease of cleaning, hygiene, and culturally neutral aesthetics.

What differences would I find in use between this and the Da Buddha? Why should I choose this over that?

Mentioned above, re-quoting:

1. We've designed an inert hot zone (see image above).
  2. The element has more surface area and a tapered baffle around the element's hot spot to increase air velocity, thus creating a more efficient thermal exchange without sacrificing ease of inhalation.
  3. I'm unfamiliar with others' circuits offhand, but we have auto-power inhalation attenuation, which normalizes the heat drawn over the herb sample according to power draw from the users breath.
  4. We utilize Grade 2 Titanium screens in the vape zone; others use stainless steel or brass.
  5. Patent pending multi-layered thermal isolation and integrated cooling makes this an all day workhorse vape, where many others' products get uncomfortably hot to the touch, we took the time to properly deal with the secondary heat problem.
    Click for image -->https://ibb.co/kQXgXBm
  6. Our Desktop Pro model uses clear parts so that users can easily inspect the equipment for foreign objects and cleanliness.
    Click for image -->https://ibb.co/GvSVp3k
  7. Lastly, and maybe most socially important right now, we've designed the standard Desktop Pro model's aesthetics to be neutral; devoid of the 1970's counter-culture that is often off-putting to former prohibitionists and the scientific community at large. We wanted a user experience that my Grandma would feel comfortable having, and that would make it more difficult for others to stereotype and judge. Not that we won't offer fun upgrades in the future, but for this model we wanted the user experience to be that of a scientific control, or the least bit bias effecting towards the users experience. Society is watching us closely right now; this is our attempt to help us be responsible with that perception. Thus making it easier for health and wellness professionals to recommend our equipment, while minimizing their concern of sending a user into an otherwise often perceived abuse culture.
  8. The above points all contribute to what we dub 'Laboratory Grade'.
And no response from the OP, I guess ignorance is bliss? Are they hoping only to deal with the naive?

Sorry for the late reply! We're not trying to fool anyone, what doesn't sit right for yo

Baron23

@OnsenLabs - Hello Steve and thank you for your thoughtful and extensive replies. We, on FC, can sometimes be a bit sharp or terse in our responses but please don't take it personally. We're just guerilla vape commandos and....while maybe a bit pointed at times....FC feedback has indeed helped many a manf improve their product if they were willing to accept the input.

we've designed the standard Desktop Pro model's aesthetics to be neutral; devoid of the 1970's counter-culture that is often off-putting to former prohibitionists and the scientific community at large. We wanted a user experience that my Grandma would feel comfortable having, and that would make it more difficult for others to stereotype and judge.

I do applaud you on this in particular. Its a bit of a bugaboo of mine...that is, almost every vape or MJ related marketing uses either badly tatted, dirty fingernails, tie dyed, groody dreads, crystal worshipping, stoner stereotype folks or its the "life style of the young and beautiful" using models that none of us have EVER seen in a dispensary! haha Neither of which are the fastest growing demographic in MJ.

I did submit a beta tester form but I am in Maryland (I'm the guy with the 240 area code) so probably not exactly what you are looking for. But, if selected I will provide an honest and as objective an eval as I can. Test/eval/engineering analysis is sort of in my prior professional career wheelhouse.

Cheers

OnsenLabs

Manufacturer
We, on FC, can sometimes be a bit sharp or terse in our responses but please don't take it personally

Actually, if I might say, I feel a bit at home with this! But thanks for that. I came from the automotive industry where I helped my Dad build an induction heating company for 14 years. I was in shops on a frequent basis dealing with hardened and terse guerrilla commando's all the time! If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! And this thermal expert made the fucking kitchen!

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thanks all for your patience and sorry for the late reply! We're working hard to get this business off the ground! For more responsive communication please feel free to call our toll free number, 833-667-3652.

I'll try to answer all the questions that have built up here, but please let me know if I misconstrue or miss something.

1- We've tested a half dozen different types of glass and ceramic screens, but we found they all reduce airflow restriction by ~50% or more. For our base model we decided ease of breathing while still utilizing an inert material was a priority. However, we will still offer a glass screen add on.

2- I don't understand what makes a whip "outdated" in your opinion? Is this a material science reservation you hold? While an all glass path is believed to be ideal, even glass can outgass toxic byproducts into vapor at high enough temperatures. There is no such thing as a carte blanche safe material per se, only a safe temperature operating zone, of which only few materials meet within our planet and products environmental conditions. We've tested and the temperatures that hit our medical grade silicone are well below the thermal limits, which make silicone an inert material in our product.

3- Same question for ceramic? Al2O3 is essentially the ash of aluminum. What do you see wrong with this material?

4- "crazyhot" temperatures are a not just a matter of temperature alone, but also skin thickness, skin cell type (think calluses), and time exposure. Sensitive thin skin is more prone to cellular damage at lower temperatures and shorter time than thick-skinned callused hands. I've experienced this with portables and desktops alike. I believe the Vapexhale's heat shield stands as evidence of this common industry design problem. What do you do for a living? Do you have callused hands?

5- We're working on use video's now and will post some pictures of the ABV soon!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to all my question!! Much appreciated!

1- I have not experienced this with any of my vapes that use an all glass system, screen included.
Vaporizers I have that use this are the Glass Symphony and the VRIP Tech Heat Wand. For myself, the metal screen adds a bit of resistance.

2- The whip makes it outdated unfortunately and an extra expense in that you always need some clean tubing around. I have found that the tubing turns a dark color after use and cleaning and retains the smell of the oil after a while. a glass adapter would be a good option.
Another vaporizer was released recently and it was also whip based, this drew an outcry and a glass solution was found and offered. This was the Ditanium Vaporizer and a 3rd party offers a glass adapter.
I also own a Super Surfer and it does get used but not as often as it should because of the whip. I thought I could get over it but sadly no...LOL!

3- Ceramic heaters have been known to crack and crumble on occasion. Not very likely to happen but there is that chance. Nothing really against them just think with today's tech a better option would be available.

4- Yeah my hands are quite tough but anything hot really bothers them. I am a Dental Technician by trade!

5- AWESOME!!! A whole session would be great!

Looking forward to this vapes development!

Top Bottom