Discontinued Old City Diffusers

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Stu said:
I see HD's point here. Ceramic radiates heat, so how can it act as an insulator? I'm sure OCD can clarify.

The ceramic insulator (for lack of a better term ) acts as a buffer between the heat exchanger which doesn't or wouldn't even touch the side of the walls of the vaporizer and the wood itself. The vaporizer could probably get away without it, so its not so much band-aid as you might think. I thought it was added security because the heating element, is able to reach temperature of 400F+. I had some long talks with a ceramic company out of New England and we finally came to a specific type of ceramic, that can be used specifically for its low thermal conductivity and used as an insulator. They clean and cut each piece for me and there shipped to me for a final drilling procedure before I install them in conjunction with the heating element and heat exchanger.

Again if you guys/gals would like more information on the ceramic insulator - I could call the company next time I reorder and ask for a chemical breakdown. I had spent some time talking with the head of the company and he seemed like that this was the best ceramic to use for its insulating characteristics. I chose to trust the owner of the ceramic company to help choose the best one, I'm sure he knows ceramic better than myself.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Old City Diffusers said:
lwien said:
Thank you for the response on that Wes. Much appreciated.

No problem, I appreciate you being the... thread antagonist - your rhetoric is helpful. I hope I'm answering the questions to the extent you wanted. If not just let me know.

rhetoric |?ret?rik|
noun
-----
language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but is often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content......
-----

Lacking sincerity and meaningful content?

Sorry if I come across that way, but that is not my intent. I really do try to have my content meaningful and have it come off as sincere. I try to be as objective as I possibly can. If it was truly rhetoric, I don't think it would be very helpful.

But yes, you have answered everyone's questions here and I can tell you that it is appreciated by all.

My sincere apologies. I wanted to give you a compliment for trying to get to challenge and get closer to the truth. I meant dialectic and called you a rhetoric, that's a big whoops on my account... hope you can forgive me for that slip up. I felt like your trying to get to the truth of matters, one word slip-up on my account...

Old City Diffusers,

lwien

Old City Diffusers said:
I felt like your trying to get to the truth of matters...

Yeah, that's kinda my MO around here, although at times, it's got me into some hot water. ;)

"Keeping them honest", as Anderson Cooper would say, but thanks for the clarification, Wes. I was getting a bit worried about myself.

Cynical, opinionated asshole works though. :)

But back to OCD. Your continued openness to answer questions without getting defensive while providing insight as to what goes into this vape and your thinking process in putting it all together is admirable.

Wishing you much success.......

lwien,

fidget

lwien said:
Old City Diffusers said:
lwien said:
Thank you for the response on that Wes. Much appreciated.

No problem, I appreciate you being the... thread antagonist - your rhetoric is helpful. I hope I'm answering the questions to the extent you wanted. If not just let me know.

rhetoric |?ret?rik|
noun
-----
language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but is often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content......
-----

Lacking sincerity and meaningful content?

Sorry if I come across that way, but that is not my intent. I really do try to have my content meaningful and have it come off as sincere. I try to be as objective as I possibly can. If it was truly rhetoric, I don't think it would be very helpful.

But yes, you have answered everyone's questions here and I can tell you that it is appreciated by all.

Rhetoric is the art of using language to communicate effectively and persuasively. It involves three audience appeals: logos, pathos, and ethos, as well as the five canons of rhetoric: invention or discovery, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery.

Pedantic - Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules

Learn to accept a compliment lwien ;)

fidget,

hereatlast

Edit: deleted to stay on course.

Either way, this is a great 5 page start for a new member/manufacturer and introduction of a new vaporizer.

It also occurred to me that a simple, small piece of vape tubing could be attached to the end of the vapor tube (say a half-inch of tubing for instance) and that should mate nicely with some GonG connections as well. I apologize in advance, I think vape and glass is the next thought, I'm cursed :rolleyes:

hereatlast,

fidget

Mako said:
fidget said:
Pedantic - Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules
Hmmm yes I agree, shallow and pedantic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguWdSsI8S8&feature=related

I was simply using a word that could be applied to lwien in this thread then choosing a definition that has negative connotations rather than a more suitable one.
This is a better definition in this case and is far less negative.

One who is excessively concerned with accuracy over petty details of knowledge, or who insists on strict adherence to formal rules or literal meaning.

Mod note: Let's stay on topic guys. This thread is already 5 pages, and only about 4 days old. A half dozen posts in a row on word definitions is out of place, and future info seekers aren't going to appreciate a lot of off topic posting.

fidget,

lwien

For the record, I totally accept being viewed as pedantic, for at times, it is a very accurate description. Guilty as charged.

Ok, I know I kind of started this, but this thread is about the OCD vape, not me, so a suggestion. Let's get back on topic and let's get one of these puppies in the hands of one of us for a detailed review.

lwien,

hereatlast

Sorry for my veering off-course as well.

I agree, one of us needs to try an OCD out, a video will help greatly too.

Man, those power chords look heavy duty :cool:

hereatlast,

fidget

lwien said:
For the record, I totally accept being viewed as pedantic, for at times, it is a very accurate description. Guilty as charged.

Ok, I know I kind of started this, but this thread is about the OCD vape, not me, so a suggestion. Let's get back on topic and let's get one of these puppies in the hands of one of us for a detailed review.

Concur wholeheartedly.

fidget,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Wow. That certainly trailed off a bit. I'll try to keep the scope of what I say on topic, I know how easy it is to misspeak, especially on the Internet. Now that we are all thorough on our online definitions, we can get back to the root of things. I appreciate all of your input, the positive and the negitive and hopefully in the future I can use both to give you what you want and expect from old city diffusers

Old City Diffusers,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Can we buy a unit from you right now even though the website is not finished?

elmomuzz,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I would just like to say: space shuttle.

Am I the only one who remembers that the insulating tiles are ceramic?

pakalolo,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
elmomuzz said:
Can we buy a unit from you right now even though the website is not finished?

Yes. Just email me. I'll give you options, you give me your input - then we go from there...

Old City Diffusers,

vap999

Can you tell us what's happening and what materials are inside? What materials does air come into contact with (e.g., does air contact wood, steel, glass, silicone rubber, the heating element power supply wires)? What serves as the heat sink/exchanger -- what actually happens to heat the air?'

vap999,
vap999 said:
Can you tell us what's happening and what materials are inside? What materials does air come into contact with (e.g., does air contact wood, steel, glass, silicone rubber, the heating element power supply wires)? What serves as the heat sink/exchanger -- what actually happens to heat the air?'
its in there ; try page 1 may b

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

vapormonkey

OK, just to recap, we have both iamkrazy and iwien as purchasers, right? I will look forward to your reviews or experiences. I'd like to know how this unit would compare to a buddah using a glass stem. Wouldn't it be much the same?

vapormonkey,
G

Awesome and looks very clean.Please also give the price details for them as well.

Guest,

max

Out to lunch
I'd like to know how this unit would compare to a buddah using a glass stem. Wouldn't it be much the same?
This is basically a log vape, not a big hitter like the DBV. These two types are complementary, not "much the same".

Can you tell us what's happening and what materials are inside?

Please also give the price details for them as well.

The thread is only 5 pages. Please read before asking questions that have already been answered.

max,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
lwien said:
vapormonkey said:
OK, just to recap, we have both iamkrazy and iwien as purchasers, right?

Uh........... :shrug:

Look Ler, if you have an issue with this, I would be more than happy to take your CC information and have the unit shipped to MY residence for extensive testing for you. No really, Im just that swell of a pal.
:brow:

AGBeer,

hereatlast

Wes,
Obviously different sized vapor tubes are mostly preference, but what difference in feel do the 4", 5" and 6" vapor tubes offer? I would expect that the shorter ones are slightly hotter on the mouth and lips? Theoretically the longer tubes allow for more vapor condensation by virtue of their longer path?

Either way, given that you provide the option for different sizes, what's the reasoning for this as opposed to a standardized tube?

hereatlast,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
And on that note (dont know if its been stated already) is the bowl size consistent between all 3 stems?

AGBeer,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
Wes,
Obviously different sized vapor tubes are mostly preference, but what difference in feel do the 4", 5" and 6" vapor tubes offer? I would expect that the shorter ones are slightly hotter on the mouth and lips? Theoretically the longer tubes allow for more vapor condensation by virtue of their longer path?

Either way, given that you provide the option for different sizes, what's the reasoning for this as opposed to a standardized tube?

There might only be a marginal gain/loss in heat between the 4",5", and the 6" vapor tube. It is honestly hard to tell if it isn't a subjective placebo effect or if the extra 2" of glass tubing actually allows the vapor to cool down more. Given the specific heat capacity of glass, in theory you will have more surface area to absorb the heat and to allow the vapor to cool down before reaching the end of the vapor tube. But it all comes down to preference, I find the 4" to be more portable if I want to throw it in my pocket but the 6" is fun to use and allows for a bit more time for the vapor to cool before you inhale it. I just wanted people to have freedom of choice, I offer (in the package) your choice of any of the three sizes at no additional cost.

Old City Diffusers,
Top Bottom