Discontinued Old City Diffusers

momatik

Very impressive!

I'd really appreciate a video of it in use. So much so that it will probably make me buy one :D

I'm sure other members would appreciate it as well.

momatik,

george

I assume it'll work when its upside down, on its side, etc. etc. ? And since you are custom making the glass tubes, maybe you could make one with a gong joint on the end.

george,

Rick

Zapman
Good job Wes. It is nice to see a new product in the log vape market. I was wondering when someone would really tweak the basics we have so far seen in them. Your side stem mount and variable heat control will be functions that will be attractive as are the glass stems. New product, new market.
Your grammar is also fine and your thorough answering of questions gets you off to a good start here on FC.
I can just imagine that puppy is a bit more difficult to fabricate and assemble that the standard log vapes we have seen so far. Good job pricing too as my guess is you are not making much $ initially but you are wise enough to know that must happen with most new products.
As for problems in the future, they will be the same as any new hand made product. Maybe a tweak here or there, a burn slash or slight revisions but it will be a wonderful adventure for you that possibly could change your life forever.
My advice? Look into Canada, UK, OZ, etc if you really want to expand your market. They are really hurting for some kind of log vape. Also get them out there. When they are in peoples hands they get used and shared with friends and you will sell more if they work good. Also of course customer service. People do not like to wait long for anything they buy. Whatever has happened with any competing product is no indication at all that will happen for you. You are different as we all are. Your experience will be your own, directed by who you are.
Good luck to you and good job with the new product.

Rick,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
vapormonkey said:
I must admit, I'm very impressed all the way around. "Ceramic lining between the wood the heat exchanger"--->When I first bought an Eterra 10 years ago I thought for sure the next wood vape would have this feature. And yes, it seems like a hybrid of sorts between a PD and a 7th floor buddah for whatever that's worth. On paper and in pictures I like everything about it. The price even seems right.

Love the glass draw tubes, just wish this guy wasn't so anal about wood species...lol ALL kind of wood can be harvested good like he likes it....hehe. Wow what a tree hugger. I live in the tree's, I love the trees and they are a friend of mine and do you really know your wood?

mod note: And FC wishes you would adhere to the rules and avoid calling another member "anal" and using "tree hugger" in the derogatory way it's obviously intended.
All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner.

I understand I will be under fire, but as little as it counts to me. I would rather come off thoroughly explaining something then not caring enough to bother with details, and that should show in my work. There is also more variables in wood selection that just being a "tree hugger", each species needs to be dried and cured, as well as fully tested. Some species of wood have more "sap" which would or might translate to an interference with taste. I.E - It would be like building a cigar humidor out of cedar siding.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
momatik said:
Very impressive!

I'd really appreciate a video of it in use. So much so that it will probably make me buy one :D

I'm sure other members would appreciate it as well.

I totally agree. I will have a video in the works within the next few weeks. I just have to find someone prettier then myself to do it. Which shouldn't be to hard, ha. I think if you could see how easy it is to use you will like it that much more.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
george said:
I assume it'll work when its upside down, on its side, etc. etc. ? And since you are custom making the glass tubes, maybe you could make one with a gong joint on the end.

It will work upside down, on its side. I will take the gong joint into consideration - I could make these in addition to standard vapor tubes.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Rick said:
Good job Wes. It is nice to see a new product in the log vape market. I was wondering when someone would really tweak the basics we have so far seen in them. Your side stem mount and variable heat control will be functions that will be attractive as are the glass stems. New product, new market.
Your grammar is also fine and your thorough answering of questions gets you off to a good start here on FC.
I can just imagine that puppy is a bit more difficult to fabricate and assemble that the standard log vapes we have seen so far. Good job pricing too as my guess is you are not making much $ initially but you are wise enough to know that must happen with most new products.
As for problems in the future, they will be the same as any new hand made product. Maybe a tweak here or there, a burn slash or slight revisions but it will be a wonderful adventure for you that possibly could change your life forever.
My advice? Look into Canada, UK, OZ, etc if you really want to expand your market. They are really hurting for some kind of log vape. Also get them out there. When they are in peoples hands they get used and shared with friends and you will sell more if they work good. Also of course customer service. People do not like to wait long for anything they buy. Whatever has happened with any competing product is no indication at all that will happen for you. You are different as we all are. Your experience will be your own, directed by who you are.
Good luck to you and good job with the new product.

I appreciate the kind words. Yes, in comparison these are a bit more complicated and laborious to create and my profits margins are actually a great deal smaller. I use the highest quality parts, even the heating element is around 20x the cost of standard resistors. I have just sacrificed profit to create a new modest product, that hopefully people will enjoy. I really want to expand, but starting in the states is a good way to get my feet on the ground in an internet based market.

Old City Diffusers,

hereatlast

Very cool, definitely gonna keep my eyes on this thread.

I agree with others that this is an admirable start to your FC career: good grammar, good business practices and transparency usually go over quite well here.

This is a very interesting twist on the log-vapes, I'm really interested to see how it works, smells, tastes etc. (uh oh I can hear the girlfriend grumbling already :lol: )

Further, I think george's comment offers an absolutely fantastic suggestion. That said, GonG or not, an easy way to connect to water filtration will surely be welcome by many.

Thanks for your contribution to vaporizing and to this site, are you alone in this process of manufacturing or do you have some help?

hereatlast,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
This definitely has a grassroots/homebrewed/with a touch of artistic professionalism based vape.

I just seem to get a down to Earth feeling from the looks of this vape. Very nice... I look forward to some vids and ultimately some reviews of this vape in the future.
Good luck in getting these things cranked out quickly enough if they ultimately catch on with the vape community! :p This could end up being a popular seller

AGBeer,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
All of this looks very good, the concept, the design, the appearance, and the safe components. This is a nice variation on the log vapes offering some potential improvements over standard log type designs. I like being able to adjust the temp. The warm up time also seems quite reasonable. I have an MZ which I like very much. For me the greatest attribute of the MZ is its incredible efficiency using only a small pinch of herb at a time. How much herb does the Diffuser use at a time, is it similar to the MZ & PD? Can you load different amounts per load or is the amount fixed? Can you leave it on all of the time like an MZ to avoid the warm up wait?

I wish you good luck with this new vape. I can't wait until we get some Forum user reviews. If all is well, I would consider getting one as a supplement to my MZ. Again, the greatest attribute for me would be the efficiency. The greatest improvement over the other log type vapes would be the adjustable temp range, but I do like the simplicity of a set temp which has worked well for me. With a variable temp there is just one other thing to go wrong, but probably not with good quality components and construction.

Lycanthrope,

hereatlast

Couple more questions:

How does one load/unload the stems?

How quickly does the vape respond to a user's temperature change?

Finally, it looks as if this is the case but, can the stems be left in the unit or does the user need to hold them there? i.e could pack and load a stem and come back 5 minutes later?

Definitely looking forward to more info. and pics: are the OCD's available for purchase now?

hereatlast,

fidget

Any plans for a Euro version?
I'll have one for sure when you do.
I also think you are conducting yourself very well here and wish you and your product all the best.

fidget,

nr-cole

Excited for someone to get their hands on one and give us the run-down! I've been considering a PD for my next vape (which, admittedly, is a long way off), but it looks like when the time comes there'll be another contender in the ring!

nr-cole,

vapormonkey

I apoligize if I offended anyone. I'm a tree hugger myself so I didn't think calling someone a treehugger was like calling them a dirty name...lol.

I really want one of these. The concept seems sound and the builder has a very good starting price point if the unit works out OK. Anyone considering a log vape should really consider one of these first. Now all we need are the PD guy and the 7th floor guy to come out swinging and we'll be right at home again...hehe.

vapormonkey,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
IF:

-I can hook it up to my bong
-I can use concentrates
-See a video of how it works and what vapor it produces
-Uses the same 'low energy' as the PD (IE capable and recommend to stay on 24/7)

THEN:

I will buy 2...i think my dad would dig this little guy.

finchrock24,

lwien

vapormonkey said:
Anyone condsidering a log vape should really consider one of these first.

While I'm pretty excited about this new vape, and it does look promising, I have to take issue with the statement above.

There are many things to consider when purchasing a vape or anything for that matter, and that is, if you want to be the first on your block to own something, realize that there is a gamble in doing that.

Some of the other log-type vapes have a proven track record of not only performing well over the years, but also, a proven track record that the manufacturer will stand behind their product over the long haul.

Please understand, I'm not disparaging Wes's intentions here or his vape, but rather just indicating that it is a brand new product without a track record and we really don't know yet how long OCD is going to stick around.

This holds true for all new vapes hitting the market, be it this vape, or any other vape and is no doubt, one of the primary reasons that Wes is introducing his new vape at such an aggressive price point.

So yes, I agree that anyone considering a log-type vape should consider this one too, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it first due to the above things that need to be taken into account.

vapormonkey said:
Now all we need are the PD guy and the 7th floor guy to come out swinging and we'll be right at home again...hehe.

No, we don't need that, and that's not going to happen (even though you may have attempted to motivate that by posting up the existence of the OCD in the PD thread) because this vape is unique enough to stand on it's own merits and carve it's own niche in the marketplace. I have no doubt that Tom, Rick and the guys at 7th Floor feel the same way.

What it might do, however, is motivate design enhancements which is a good thing for all involved, especially us, the end users.

lwien,

george

@OCD - I assume you have a unit (or two) that you've been using yourself. How long have you had it for and have you experienced any issues with it long term?

I'm also interested if you can leave it plugged in 24/7 like others have asked. Im sure you can, since it has an on/off switch. But once you switch it on you would still have to wait for the warm up time. Can it be left on at a decent temp (atleast 350) without any negative effects? For days, weeks, months?

george,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
Very cool, definitely gonna keep my eyes on this thread.

I agree with others that this is an admirable start to your FC career: good grammar, good business practices and transparency usually go over quite well here.

This is a very interesting twist on the log-vapes, I'm really interested to see how it works, smells, tastes etc. (uh oh I can hear the girlfriend grumbling already :lol: )

Further, I think george's comment offers an absolutely fantastic suggestion. That said, GonG or not, an easy way to connect to water filtration will surely be welcome by many.

Thanks for your contribution to vaporizing and to this site, are you alone in this process of manufacturing or do you have some help?

Solo on this venture, I have one person I could rely on if I need help but I do it all, even the website and design which to be honest, do not love. but its all good, I enjoy working...

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Lycanthrope said:
All of this looks very good, the concept, the design, the appearance, and the safe components. This is a nice variation on the log vapes offering some potential improvements over standard log type designs. I like being able to adjust the temp. The warm up time also seems quite reasonable. I have an MZ which I like very much. For me the greatest attribute of the MZ is its incredible efficiency using only a small pinch of herb at a time. How much herb does the Diffuser use at a time, is it similar to the MZ & PD? Can you load different amounts per load or is the amount fixed? Can you leave it on all of the time like an MZ to avoid the warm up wait?

I wish you good luck with this new vape. I can't wait until we get some Forum user reviews. If all is well, I would consider getting one as a supplement to my MZ. Again, the greatest attribute for me would be the efficiency. The greatest improvement over the other log type vapes would be the adjustable temp range, but I do like the simplicity of a set temp which has worked well for me. With a variable temp there is just one other thing to go wrong, but probably not with good quality components and construction.

I use dry blends, I will measure and give you a base range for the amount of herbal blends you can fit in there. But i can add the smallest pinch or fill the hole thing. Honestly I like to do somewhere between half or less, which i believe is the most efficient. I would not recommend leaving this on all the time, for merely safety reasons. I do use the most quality and safest products but it is not something I would leave on when not in use.

I agree simplicity does generally translate to reliability but I use as many quality parts as possible, I use to work on cars a lot, and I felt like anything that moves - will eventually wear out, but if built properly will be able to test the sands of time.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
Couple more questions:

How does one load/unload the stems?

How quickly does the vape respond to a user's temperature change?

Finally, it looks as if this is the case but, can the stems be left in the unit or does the user need to hold them there? i.e could pack and load a stem and come back 5 minutes later?

Definitely looking forward to more info. and pics: are the OCD's available for purchase now?

1. I finely grind my dry blends, then usually in the grinder I use the vapor tube like a straw. The light suction from your breath easily loads the vapor tube to as much or as little as you want. After the blends are spent, I usually just tap it out on my desk or the reverse process of how you get the blends in there. Usually a quick light blow through the breathing side of the vapor tubes causes the spent material to vacate - kind of like a spitball-type pressure. I'll be offering something actually specific to this in the future, a kind of "catch-can" that will safely and securely capture all of the spend herbal blends so you can use them to cook, or just throw them out.

2. Usually I can adjust the temperature ( if I see that the blends are showing signs of combustion) I dial it back a few rotational degrees and within the next draw or two ( never more than a couple minutes ) It will be adjusted. Also if you want quicker heat up times during start-up crank the dial all the way up allowing full voltage to flow through the rheostat and to the heating element, after about 15 minutes or at time of usage I will dial it back a few degrees to my "sweet spot"

3. You do not need to hold them in there and they can be left alone. It is direct draw and does not sit over the heating unit as you use it. So you can leave it seated in the vaporizer, if you would like. Toast some pop tarts, trail off in thought, come back and enjoy.

I think right now the website will be up DECEMBER 20th or sooner- You can gladly email me and I could probably work something out before hand! Right now cherry is the only species available.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
fidget said:
Any plans for a Euro version?
I'll have one for sure when you do.
I also think you are conducting yourself very well here and wish you and your product all the best.

Yes! I will need to do more research. I do not want to say anything that is not certain but I believe you will need 220V (which is in the process of being ordered). Different plug type as well? I'm def. not going to ignore the global market but need to explore what the European market will need - I'm always up for suggestions

If I missed anyone please forgive me I'm trying to answer all the questions, but chances are i'll miss one.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
finchrock24 said:
IF:

-I can hook it up to my bong
-I can use concentrates
-See a video of how it works and what vapor it produces
-Uses the same 'low energy' as the PD (IE capable and recommend to stay on 24/7)

I'll get a video up soon - and to be honest I wouldn't recommend this to stay on full power 24/7, only when in use. It is against my better judgment to tell you to leave a heating element encased inside a wooden housing or any material regardless of how safe of products in use. I do also employ a thick ceramic insulator between the walls of the wood vaporizer and the heating element. (sorry to trail off in thought) The OCD unit will use 25 watts at peak power. I'll get something in the works of a gong or adapter. The outside of the vapor tubes are .5", allowing common size tubing to be adapted but again, i'll work something out for those that like to use further filtration.

For you and others inquiries about leaving it on all the time (24/7) I'll look into an approach that might satisfy your needs. But when I built this I wanted something that would heat up in enough time that I wouldn't have to adjust my schedule to fit it in. If you need to heat up in less than the time that it needs, I'll try to work something out.

This weekend I will do a trial test of 1/3 power for around 5 days, I'll report back within the next week on the findings - but again its against my better judgment to leave things that heat up without some sort of supervision. Maybe I am paranoid or to safe with my initial thought but i'll look into it for you guys.

Can you respond to more then one quote on the same response? sorry for the massive posting, I'm just trying to answer all the questions...

Old City Diffusers,

lwien

Old City Diffusers said:
Can you respond to more then one quote on the same response? sorry for the massive posting, I'm just trying to answer all the questions...

Sure, just cut and paste the quotes.

lwien,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
george said:
@OCD - I assume you have a unit (or two) that you've been using yourself. How long have you had it for and have you experienced any issues with it long term?

I'm also interested if you can leave it plugged in 24/7 like others have asked. Im sure you can, since it has an on/off switch. But once you switch it on you would still have to wait for the warm up time. Can it be left on at a decent temp (atleast 350) without any negative effects? For days, weeks, months?

I do not leave my unit on 24/7 - Only when in use. I did however have aromatherapy in mind when I made these as well, It could be set on the lowest setting for hours of enjoyment of aromatherapy oils. But I only turn it on when it is in direct vaporizing use, and never have a problem waiting a couple minutes but I understand that everyone has a different need for their vaporizer. I have not run into any issues with the cherry. However I was going to offer a spalted/ambrosia maple - but after heavily testing it I felt as though the sap or taste in the maple interfered with the taste of the blends after about an hour or two of heavy use. But mechanical issues with my personal one? none whatsoever.

Old City Diffusers,

caseball2051

interested to see some reviews from people here.

if you ever open it up to beta testers, id gladly volunteer. :brow:

glad to see your presence here. I hope you enjoy your stay!

caseball2051,
Top Bottom