Discontinued Old City Diffusers

Nycdeisel

what I like to do with units that have a plug and an ON/OFF thingy, like my DBV, is leave it on the lowest setting when Im not using it. Even though it takes 2 minutes to get to my sweet spot from the lowest setting, and 3 minutes from a cold, OFF unit, its easier, and probably better for the unit, not to switch it On and Off so many times each day.

Would you be able to do this with the OCD?

Nycdeisel,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
This looks really intriguing, and I love the business motto of only using renewable resources and giving $5 of every purchase to doctors without borders. Really cool, I'm definitely interested and can't wait to hear more!

aesthyrian,

vapormonkey

I think right now the PD man and the 7th floor guy are chomping at the bit but know better....

They'll crack, it's just a matter of time.

mod note: Your post is out of line.

vapormonkey,

hereatlast

vapormonkey, I don't understand the purpose of several of your posts today. This last one seems unnecessary, unwarranted and just rude. Why bring "the PD man and the 7th floor guy" into this at all? You seem dead-set on stirring up trouble with this last post and bringing the OCD into the Purple-Days thread. I hope--and I personally think its best--if you could let each stand on their own rather than speculate on their perspective or speak for them.

Definitely still intrigued at the possibility of a GonG vapor tube, if possible, I know some, myself included, like to eliminate tubing if and when possible.

Wes, thanks for your continued answers and participation.

hereatlast,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
;) Good job lwien. Don't take the bait.

Back on topic, I am also intrigued by this vape. However, the one thing I am concerned with is that with the higher temp range that this vape can get to, the wood might crack. Has this been an issue with any of the prototypes? And if not, how long was your testing process?

momofthegoons,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
I actually had a my prototype working for several months but for the added security and containing the heat where it should be, I added the ceramic insulater. No cracks so far but pitting and checking is possible for any piece of wood even when not constantly heated, that is why I took the precautionary steps. Normally seasoned wood has around 8-10% humidity, running anything under any kind of heat will result in a degradation of water content. I'm not telling you what will happen but what might happen with any wood or "log vaporizer". I imagine most people won't go above the recommended vapor temps otherwise you would be smoking. But there is a certian give and take with design, the quicker heat up time (using 25 watts) of my units also allows for higher final heat temperatures but you as the user can adjust accordingly.

Old City Diffusers,

Beezleb

Good luck with your product and I look forward to the reviews. I love the craftsmanship and wish you much success!

Beezleb,

hereatlast

Wes, would cracked or damaged wood due to regular heating be covered by the one-year warranty?

Also, I know this is a question that involves a number of issues so it might not be easy to say definitively but: if the dial is cranked all the way up how likely is it that the herb blend would combust? I suppose this depends on a number of factors, e.g. dryness of the herb, but I guess I wonder how easily one could accidentally combust?

BTW, I'll work on keeping my comments/responses relevant and in the name of progress, sorry if I've derailed already.

Can't wait to hear user reviews (unless I'm the first, uh oh :uhoh: ) and see what it looks like in action.

hereatlast,

nr-cole

One thing I'm not sold on is the stem coming out of the side like that. Does anybody else think they might end up leaning awkwardly to hit it? I've never hit a log before so maybe I'm not the best one to judge.

nr-cole,

george

nr-cole said:
One thing I'm not sold on is the stem coming out of the side like that. Does anybody else think they might end up leaning awkwardly to hit it? I've never hit a log before so maybe I'm not the best one to judge.

I don't see why, you cant tilt the thing any way you need to. Heck, you could hold it upside down and hit it.

Old City, Do you blow glass yourself? the tubes and such. What temperature does it get to (on average) when turned all the way up?

george,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
Wes, would cracked or damaged wood due to regular heating be covered by the one-year warranty?

Also, I know this is a question that involves a number of issues so it might not be easy to say definitively but: if the dial is cranked all the way up how likely is it that the herb blend would combust? I suppose this depends on a number of factors, e.g. dryness of the herb, but I guess I wonder how easily one could accidentally combust?

BTW, I'll work on keeping my comments/responses relevant and in the name of progress, sorry if I've derailed already.

Can't wait to hear user reviews (unless I'm the first, uh oh :uhoh: ) and see what it looks like in action.

Each case will be assessed individually, each wood species has its own density and specific characteristics. Also each unit will seemingly travel down a different path of use, I'll always do my best to cover the warranty and work with you guys. If for some reason the checking or piths start to interfere with mechanical use, that would call for repairs (essentially building an entirely new unit)

I built these with the methodology of having them on only when in direct use for vaporizing. If you follow this type of use, the potentiality of cracking will decrease dramatically - but that is a pretty much common sense rule. I understand that some will want to have them on 1/3 power or at some fraction of full power for quicker heat times - while this may be of convenience it will also result in a dryer state of wood.

The units are 6" and generally around 3.25" wide but vary slightly due to the fact that I hand turn them on a lathe but all follow a general hourglass shape. The top or upper half of the vaporizer (which houses the heating element that is encased in a heat exchanger that is inside of a thick ceramic insulator) is the thickest part but only has a small 1" hole; this means that there is a larger volume of wood that surrounds a relatively small element. Allowing it to not only create a better insulator for quicker heat times but allows the heat to be evenly distributed and a less likely chance of cracking. I use the finest and sharpest carbide tools to make the cuts cleanly to prevent checking and the finish I use should set into the grain nicely to create not only a nice finish but to keep the wood at a more sustainable moisture point. I believe I have taken as many precautionary steps to ensure that these units will withstand normal usage but again as you said there are many variables that are out of my hands that can be taken into account.

But again, I'll always work with you guys!

about the herbal combustion question... Yes it does have a bunch of variables but if you have the dial all the way up you can risk combustion of herbal blends, but the easy answer is just turn it down a bit. Its a trial and error type thing, that usually only takes 1 or 2 tries and you can have it down...

sorry for the brevity - I'm entertaining family in town this weekend... more coming!

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
OCD, sent you an email. Cool new product. Very intrigued. Would love to see exactly how efficient it is, and how even the ABV is in color all the way through. I think you are priced very competitive, right where you should be for maximum sales.

IAmKrazy2,

max

Out to lunch
nr-cole said:
Vapes like this one are meant to be hand held. They're small and lightweight. Like george said, any way you want to hit it. Awkwardness shouldn't be an issue.

max,

Spacenstein

Would the OCD stand up straight with a stem inserted into the unit? I'm asking because it seems like the unit would easily tip over with such a heavy duty glass stem protruding from the side of it..

Can we get some more pictures of the unit with a coke-can or something beside it for size comparison.. ?

Also, pretty much anyone who makes videos of their vaporizers or bongs on youtube never show their face.. you wouldn't have to either. ( although, im sure you're a very handsome man :brow: )

Spacenstein,
I can't imagine any of the glass tubes to weigh over an ounce or two. I dont think he would have taken so much wood off the design at the top if it would have problems balancing, eventually causing tipping and falling.

biojuggernaut,

vapormonkey

tip over with such a heavy duty glass stem protruding from the side of it..

I think the builder can shape one with a wider base if memory srves. I don't want to reread the thread but I think the maker said he could turn different shapes. I was thinking of a more stable base as well.

Also a note to Wes. Since you're solo for now, I'd advise you to skip the website and move to direct sales on EBAY. This way you can put all your energy into what you really love. Making these babies.

vapormonkey,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
max said:
Vapes like this one are meant to be hand held. They're small and lightweight. Like george said, any way you want to hit it. Awkwardness shouldn't be an issue.

THIS!!!

AGBeer,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Spacenstein said:
Would the OCD stand up straight with a stem inserted into the unit? I'm asking because it seems like the unit would easily tip over with such a heavy duty glass stem protruding from the side of it..

Can we get some more pictures of the unit with a coke-can or something beside it for size comparison.. ?

Also, pretty much anyone who makes videos of their vaporizers or bongs on youtube never show their face.. you wouldn't have to either. ( although, im sure you're a very handsome man :brow: )

I'll get more pictures this week ... approximate size is 6" tall - 3" wide. not easily tipped. In no way will putting the vapor tube in the unit make it tip.

Old City Diffusers,

vapormonkey

Is it gonna come with a thimble full of "buzzbatter' so we can polish up the wood? :lol:

Sorry...couldn't resist :D

vapormonkey,

Rudy Rudiger

Very interested... but have a couple questions.

Is the power supply detachable?

What is the load size?

Rudy Rudiger,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Rudy Rudiger said:
Very interested... but have a couple questions.

Is the power supply detachable?

What is the load size?

no it is not detachable, it uses a standard U.S. non-polarized plugs with a 5+ foot cord.

It will use less than 25 watts at max, rated at 110v, in theory drawing .23 amps

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
OCD, not sure if you noticed an email from from me or not, it hasn't even been 24hrs yet, and it is the weekend so i wouldn't expect a response for several more days. That being said, as soon as i got home from work today i checked my email, then daydreamed about the Old City for a second. I really like the concept, and am looking forward to getting one. Originally thought i would wait for a review or video, but i just love how this thing looks and love the little glass stems. kudos and good luck.

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom