O'Connell Woodworks Vaporizers

Choices

Since I’ve seen folks in the SB threads mention it I decided to try out using an S&B dosing capsule in my OHV Micro. Worked pretty well but I like the ritual with this vape and the capsule just made it seem “clinical”, if that is a proper use of the term. I am looking at an OHV perhaps? Anyone have both? I’d like something a bit cooler on the throat but it might be I have to go SB OG to get there....

PapaEmeritusCDXX

Microtonal Banana
Good to see a section for these here. I recently ordered A Padauk OHVMicro with cooling stem. I can provide some insight when I get it, and I will def. be using that foil mod(blazer torches are relentless little beasts.). OCW seems like a chill dude. Glad to support a small business guy. Always wanted A Padauk wood vape too, so I am a little excited(who am I kidding lol.).

Choices

Good to see a section for these here. I recently ordered A Padauk OHVMicro with cooling stem. I can provide some insight when I get it, and I will def. be using that foil mod(blazer torches are relentless little beasts.). OCW seems like a chill dude. Glad to support a small business guy. Always wanted A Padauk wood vape too, so I am a little excited(who am I kidding lol.).
This is exactly the model I got and it is so nice to hold and very portable for sure, although I mainly just sit out on the deck to use it. The Al foil “bib” is a good idea to keep you from scorching the close by wood. Keep yours pristine, that way if for some reason we are ever vaping together using our Micros, I can tell ours apart since mine will have the scorch marks! :)
It does help to aim your torch up at about 45 degrees of angle. Also with the path so short, the variance in performance based on torch position (I’m using an Honest brand torch) near and far is dramatic. The heat you feel as you inhale is significant, almost too hot at times but as I’ve got this dialed in I am getting great well behaved results. If this was a car it would be like a early 80s VW GTI with a really tight gearbox. Tight shifting but well worth the nuances and time needed to understand them and have it become second nature. Keep us updated!

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I would be down to try dosing capsules with my ohbv, but I don't have any. It would actually be convenient for me, assuming one doesn't need to open them up to stir. I stir my bowl every hit. For convenience sake, I haven't even been grinding and just tossing a whole nug in there and crushing it between hits. All flavor at first, then massive clouds as I continue.
This inception stem really is awesome. I wish I could use it with every one of my vapes!

The angle of torch really changes things quite drastically. I angle mine away from me and slowly rotate until it points toward me (and right at the curve) and it can get massive hits. Once the vapor starts pouring out, I go back to straight in with the torch. Prevents scorching while keeping the clouds pouring out. And never too hot on my sensitive throat.
@Choices I recommend the ohbv with inception stem for a nice cool hit that is gentle on the mouth and throat. I can get eye watering hits without any coughing

Last edited:

Choices

@Diggy Smalls I just grabbed an OG Sticky Brick so I may hold off until it arrives and I see how I do with it. The dosing capsules are smaller in diameter than the Micro bowl itself so they fit but I wouldn’t go out of your way to obtain one. I used it twice and moved on from it. Probably just the ritual and my curiosity to look after every hit and “see how I did” makes the dosing capsules something I won’t be clamoring to use again. Just my feelings on it after a few uses, but others might like the convenience for carrying additional flower measured out.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Yeah those seem nice, too. Been following that vape a long time, but cost makes it prohibitive for me.
I check my load between each hit to see how I'm doing, so I don't think a dosing capsule is a good fit for me, either. Thanks for sharing! Man, two bowls of hemp last night just wrecked me. Can't even imagine if that was high octane THC herb!

Been using a soft cloth to run in the roof conditioner for a nice soft touch and beautiful luster. I've applied the conditioner every day and it seems like it just needs more and more. I guess this is typical cause my iheat and toasty top both get a dull look shortly after conditioning, too. With there was a way to keep the wood vapes moisturized longer it at least keep the finish pretty longer.

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: kushkush

Choices

I’m no woodworking craftsman by any measure, but the heat the wood gets exposed to would seem to be part of what causes the need for lots of treatment to stay looking good. Others with more insight to add feel free to correct my line of thinking...

PapaEmeritusCDXX

Microtonal Banana
I got mine in. Absolutely smaller than I thought it would be, but I can't complain; discreet enough for my use.

Also another fun fact that I found out is the sticky brick straight flame intake fits and works fine. I may use that for home use. I will enjoy messing with this.

kushkush

happy camper....
Never would have thought of substituting the M for the glass. Thanks for that little tip!

Anybody know where we can get some mesh to cut the size of the bowl? I still don't know how to get the mesh in the bowl w/o screwing it up somewhat.

Also, has anyone used a less dense mesh than what's in there. It just doesn't take long for the stickness to plug up that mesh and then the air resistence is too tight. Have to clean it all the time.

:leaf:

kushkush,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I started getting greedy and scorching bowls a little bit. Hey, he warned me it can happen and it didn't ruin the bowl at all. No burning, just dark spots. As long as I don't get embers I'm cool. Anyway, as a result, I have dialed it back a bit and keep at one angle and adjust the depth of flame in the intake to control the heat and I get consistent hits. Man, these bowls make for some sessions!

Diggy Smalls,

PapaEmeritusCDXX

Microtonal Banana
I stuck the sticky brick straight flame intake in and it works just fine. Unironically the restrictor disk fits too.

Very fun to use, though the glass smoking on the original heat intake semi worries me, but I am sure it's nothing. No char spots on my wood. Also I didn't know I was supposed to pull the mouthpiece almost all the way out. My dumb ass almost went Shawn Michaels levels of cross eyed trying to use it on the shorter end.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Ok, since Friday I have been taking it easy with the OHBV and not trying to push it too hard. As a result, I am finally mastering it. It seems so simple now, but it does require some practice to really get the most out of it. After numerous bowls with the stem that were intense and not charred or uneven in any way, I attached the bong adapter to it and put it on a little tiny beaker bubbler I have. Even with water in it, the thing can't stand with the OHBV on it, as the vape is a little bigger than the bubbler! Hahaha So handheld only.
Anyway, I am happy to report I got much more satisfying results this time around than previously. It was thick and so milky I thought I combusted several times, only to lift off the top and see a bunch of semi-green material in there. The bowl is huge, and I don't HAVE to fill it all the way, but it does work amazingly well when it is full. Just pumps and pumps out vapor.

I have been only using HEMP since before I got this bad boy and I do need more hemp than cannabis for my medication, so this is perfect. One packed bowl really medicates me well when I am using hemp. With most of my other vapes (ELEV8R is an exception), the bowls are much smaller and require multiple bowls to get me to the same spot. I am actually scared of what would happen if I loaded this all the way up with some primo cannabis with my current tolerance! I would probably pass out immediately!

So my recommendation is to start with a stem and master that before trying it on a water piece. I believe I had read the same advice for similarly operating devices (like sticky bricks, etc), so that makes perfect sense to me now.

One final thought. I had mentioned a slight wobble between the two halves of the vape and how it bothered me. I still don't love it, but have learned to live with it. However, if I do not align them properly, vapor will leak out. So it's important that I make sure they are aligned properly before I start using it. Don't want to waste that yummy steam. Mmmmm Did I mention the taste is very good with this? Ok, that's all folks. Off to do some quarantine work now.

kushkush

happy camper....
I love my new little OHBV and got wonderful vapor (and quickly) using my small bubbler. But here's my question. There was a glass stem included but... I can't get the water attachment out of the end of the one end of the OHBV. Is that permanently cemented in there or isn't it supposed to come out so we can just use a stem? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Mine was in there really tightly. I had to wiggle it firmly but not too hard and I got it out. I don't put it in that deep anymore when I put it back in. Glad you're liking it, I think you'll enjoy the inception stem, too! The stem for go in and out a little easier than the water piece adapter does

Diggy Smalls,

kushkush

happy camper....
Mine was in there really tightly. I had to wiggle it firmly but not too hard and I got it out. I don't put it in that deep anymore when I put it back in. Glad you're liking it, I think you'll enjoy the inception stem, too! The stem for go in and out a little easier than the water piece adapter does

Thanks! I powered up my muscle and got that piece out. :lol:

Now.... did you have any trouble with the O-ring (skinny one) and getting that stem in the hole?

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
No, here's what I did. Put the skinny o ring in the opening of the hole, and get the end of the stem a little moist with some water or saliva (gross!) And it slides right in. :)

If you put the o ring on the stem and try to put it in the hole like that, I don't think it will work. At least not well

Last edited:
Diggy Smalls,

kushkush

happy camper....
No, here's what I did. Put the skinny o ring in the opening of the hole, and get the end of the stem a little moist with some water or Salina (gross!) And it slides right in. :)

If you put the o ring on the stem and try to put it in the hole like that, I don't think it will work. At least not well

Oh thanks for answering so fast! I'll go do that and let you know how it goes.

kushkush

happy camper....
It worked great. But you do have to get it very saliva_heavy. Ha I wonder if Coconut oil would work?

This little OHBV with the cooling stem works a whole lot better than I thought it would. Without combusting I got some powerfully vaporous hits with no harshness whatsoever. The icing on the cake is it didn't take long at all to get vapor... the first heating was only 10 or 12 seconds W/0 vapor, then the next heatings yieled good smooth vapor. I like that you can 'feel' the vapor warmth whether you can actually see it in the stem or not.

Thanks @Diggy Smalls! You made my day.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
It worked great. But you do have to get it very saliva_heavy. Ha I wonder if Coconut oil would work?

This little OHBV with the cooling stem works a whole lot better than I thought it would. Without combusting I got some powerfully vaporous hits with no harshness whatsoever. The icing on the cake is it didn't take long at all to get vapor... the first heating was only 10 or 12 seconds W/0 vapor, then the next heatings yieled good smooth vapor. I like that you can 'feel' the vapor warmth whether you can actually see it in the stem or not.

Thanks @Diggy Smalls! You made my day.

Yeah, buddy! Coconut oil would work great. I use a little wood conditioning stuff I got with one of my other wooden vaporizers, just a little smear and it goes in another. Mine is not very tight. My inception stem has some imperfections in it, so maybe it's a little thinner than yours? Glass does vary.
Anyway, isn't it awesome using the stem with it? I can feel the vapor coming, which gives me great feedback, but it's definitely not harsh or hot. It's really easy to clean too. Some hot water in the sink and I use a little dish soap. Every couple days the stem is shiny like new.

I also noticed that my first hit is just flavor, then the vapor ramps right up. I remember O'Connell mentioning that it seems to pick up big time when the restrictor disk or whatever it's called heats up and it seems to be true in my experience as well.

Happy you like it and I'm happy to have another person in the forums using the same setup as me. :) What wood did you choose? Did you get laser engraving? Share a picture! Does yours have some wiggle with the two halves like mine?

Diggy Smalls,

kushkush

happy camper....
Yeah, buddy! Coconut oil would work great. I use a little wood conditioning stuff I got with one of my other wooden vaporizers, just a little smear and it goes in another. Mine is not very tight. My inception stem has some imperfections in it, so maybe it's a little thinner than yours? Glass does vary.
Anyway, isn't it awesome using the stem with it? I can feel the vapor coming, which gives me great feedback, but it's definitely not harsh or hot. It's really easy to clean too. Some hot water in the sink and I use a little dish soap. Every couple days the stem is shiny like new.

I also noticed that my first hit is just flavor, then the vapor ramps right up. I remember O'Connell mentioning that it seems to pick up big time when the restrictor disk or whatever it's called heats up and it seems to be true in my experience as well.

Happy you like it and I'm happy to have another person in the forums using the same setup as me. :) What wood did you choose? Did you get laser engraving? Share a picture! Does yours have some wiggle with the two halves like mine?

So glad you like yours so much. I chose the Cherry wood on both my OHV and this OHBV and it's really pretty, a little lighter on the OHBV. I was actually trying to pick a dark wood but the cherry kept calling me back.

I didn't get any engraving but I really like Jonathon's tiny bearded pic on it. My OHBV has very little wiggle room between the pieces. I really like the strong magnets. I think I'd like to have the flared black intake and some additional mouthpiece stems (on the cheap).

I think I need another OHBV... you know, for backup. ha Any old excuse will do. Well, it's just pretty awesome and easy to get vapor out of! Please tell me which photo app to use and I'll take some pics.:nod:

kushkush,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
@kushkush happy to hear you like yours. The cherry does look nice, I was considering it myself.
Upload your images to an image host like imgbb and it even gives you the code to paste into your post. Looking forward to seeing your two vapes

Diggy Smalls,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Top Bottom