Discontinued Hopper io

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Old friends :love:
DSCN1031.jpg

Looks like an OLD gas powered IoLite there!
Mine still works, geez you are an OLD VAPORIST… :)

Wyrdrock

Looks like an OLD gas powered IoLite there!
Mine still works, geez you are an OLD VAPORIST… :)
If you think that's old I still have my Thermovape T1, which was my first or second vape while I waited on the grasshopper finally becoming available. I'm sure I could stick new batteries in it and it would work but I could never go back to that now. I checked around for their website to see if they were still in business but sadly they seem to have gone belly up. It's a shame, they truly where ahead of their time in terms of pushing for true convection over conduction, even though it burned my finger every time I used it since the "on switch" was just the battery container and I had to hold the contact and since it took forever to heat up sufficiently, which meant my finger got very toasty. Also only getting about 2 bowls out of it sucked. Which meant one set of batteries was always charging while it was being used. Still at the time it got the job done.

I also checked out Magic Flight Launch Box out of curiosity since I remember them from around that time period, and of course they're still kicking, unchanged from all that time ago. I have a feeling they will be around forever.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I still have my T1 too! Turned it into a plug-in desktop with the power adapter and WPA, it was my first and I had hoped the hopper could replace it, by the time it finally came out it could not compete with the other pure convection on demand options from artisans though which turned out to be the true evolution for thermovape ultimately

Wyrdrock

I still have my T1 too! Turned it into a plug-in desktop with the power adapter and WPA, it was my first and I had hoped the hopper could replace it, by the time it finally came out it could not compete with the other pure convection on demand options from artisans though which turned out to be the true evolution for thermovape ultimately
As much as I hate to admit it though, there is still nothing that compares with the hopper in terms of on demand flower stealth and sleekness.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
As much as I hat to admit it though, there is still nothing that compares with the hopper in terms of on demand flower stealth and sleekness.

Eh, I guess I'll say it again, but I found the stupid clicker power switch to be anything but stealth in use... And so uncomfortable and annoying for me lol However yeah there's never been anything else this small with this level of power and control, but those limitations ultimately ruined the device imo (body / vapor heat, battery, reliability)

Wyrdrock

Eh, I guess I'll say it again, but I found the stupid clicker power switch to be anything but stealth in use... And so uncomfortable and annoying for me lol However yeah there's never been anything else this small with this level of power and control, but those limitations ultimately ruined the device imo (body / vapor heat, battery, reliability)
If it was reliable I might still be using it it.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I’ve certainly said this before over the years, but I feel very fortunate to have two early bird hoppers both within the first 75 of production that are working properly to this day and have never had issues. The batteries, however, or another story.
I have 30 new ones I can spare a few for you bro just shoot me a PM, free of couse!:tup:

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
For anyone still using an IO or an OG, there is a sale on Hopper batteries at Chosty.com that runs through Nov. 28th - 50% off. I suspect that, once Chosty sells all of their Hopper inventory, new batteries won't be available anywhere. In spite of all of the BS Hopper Labs has put us through, I'm still a fan of the devices and use my Hoppers daily.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
For anyone still using an IO or an OG, there is a sale on Hopper batteries at Chosty.com that runs through Nov. 28th - 50% off. I suspect that, once Chosty sells all of their Hopper inventory, new batteries won't be available anywhere. In spite of all of the BS Hopper Labs has put us through, I'm still a fan of the devices and use my Hoppers daily.
And you have a choice of GBH3s or 3’s wrapped in 2’s clothing for $2 less - LOL.

I bought 3 3’s last year and put them in a baggie in the fridge (behind the butter) - in case of emergency, lol. Maybe soon I’ll charge them up for the first time and fire up my IO (or OG Hopper) for posterity’s sake. Whatever older batts I have likely won’t do much and don’t hold much of a charge. Shelf life of Hopper batts, not to mention consistency and quality, was never great to begin with. :peace:

WhyAreWeWaiting

I have 2 Hopper IOs. I used to have 3, but Hopper never returned the 3rd when I sent it for warranty. I gave up on them a couple of years ago because they simply didn't work. Would get warm, but not hot enough to vaporise weed. A few days ago I came across them in a press. Decided I'd nothing to lose so I soaked them in alcohol for a few days. Deep enough to cover the LEDS. Used urine sample bottles and sealed around them to prevent the alcohol from evaporating. Swilled them round a good few times over the days. Alcohol turned light brown colour. Changed it a few times until it was clear. Dried them out near the stove for 24 hours. Tried them tonight and both of them are banging out clouds. Don't know how long it will last though. If they deteriorate, I'll just do the same again. Nothing to lose.

Vaporific

I have 2 Hopper IOs. I used to have 3, but Hopper never returned the 3rd when I sent it for warranty. I gave up on them a couple of years ago because they simply didn't work. Would get warm, but not hot enough to vaporise weed. A few days ago I came across them in a press. Decided I'd nothing to lose so I soaked them in alcohol for a few days. Deep enough to cover the LEDS. Used urine sample bottles and sealed around them to prevent the alcohol from evaporating. Swilled them round a good few times over the days. Alcohol turned light brown colour. Changed it a few times until it was clear. Dried them out near the stove for 24 hours. Tried them tonight and both of them are banging out clouds. Don't know how long it will last though. If they deteriorate, I'll just do the same again. Nothing to lose.
Others have tried this too to some extent, myself included; not completely sealed but I’ve soaked both my Hoppers (one an OG and one IO) in ISO standing up covering the air holes and heater. Moderate success for me. The upshot is lots of gunk gets caked up behind the heater and this is what we’re experiencing. I haven’t used my Hoppers in a long time. Maybe over the Xmas break I have coming up I’ll take my 3 brand new batts out of the fridge and charge them up and try either of both Hoppers. Maybe I’ll deep clean them as you’ve described first. We shall see…
:peace:

JBone65

I used three grasshoppers over a five year period. Had a great experience overall.

Once, my heating element backed off from the body, so I was able to examine and clean it. It was still working fine at the time, after a lengthy time in service. I was surprised to see the space around the elements mostly filled in with lint and dust, or possibly bits of weed. I wondered whether it came from being carried in my pocket, or just from thousands of unfiltered air intakes. The lint did have some brownish resin on it, but not as much as I expected.

The IO continued working until early summer 2022 when the back end broke. Switched to a desktop device. I can attest, there is life after grasshopper addiction....
PXL-20220715-125036070-PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

slozukimc

I used three grasshoppers over a five year period. Had a great experience overall.

Once, my heating element backed off from the body, so I was able to examine and clean it. It was still working fine at the time, after a lengthy time in service. I was surprised to see the space around the elements mostly filled in with lint and dust, or possibly bits of weed. I wondered whether it came from being carried in my pocket, or just from thousands of unfiltered air intakes. The lint did have some brownish resin on it, but not as much as I expected.

The IO continued working until early summer 2022 when the back end broke. Switched to a desktop device. I can attest, there is life after grasshopper addiction....
PXL-20220715-125036070-PORTRAIT.jpg
I still have my Hopper. De nile is a river in Africa. 🙄

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I still have 2 io's. Each is a little quirky, but each actually does work well. I only bust them out once a month or so, which, it so happens, is the secret to hopper longevity.

These two are the legacy of 6 purchases, 2 upgrades and over 20 warranty returns.

I paid my dues, it was an abusive relationship, but now, every so often I look at one and say, these things are remarkable!

Vaporific

it was an abusive relationship
That’s an understatement for many of us, myself included. We’ll said however! They were way over their head and shot themselves in their foot several times. The warehouse fire was the nail in the coffin which was already in the ground at that point too.
Happy holidays to all. :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

tryingtowin

I've had an amazing hopper experience as well from day 1. I have 1 newer updated OG ss hopper with an IO backend, it's my last fully proper functioning unit. I've had it since 2020 and it was stored for a year or so while i used the IO, now that it went this is all I have as far as hoppers are concerned.

Extremely disappointed with their outcome but we all saw it coming just didn't know when, and to give them credit they did what many said was basically impossible, I was there on the day 1 discussions about the project. They did the almost impossible for the ones that worked without issues at least.

But seeing the reality of the situation with all the failure rate posts I knew what was coming one day. Now the ultimate question is, 3D printing is now easily accessible, many have mastered it at this point. WHY has no one reverse engineered the heater and make a replica or something similar with the same functionality?

If these two guys with an initial shoestring budget could do it, by now the tech costs for something like this would have definitely come down since 2013-14 when they designed their prototype, a much larger company could easily bring this to market, it's not making sense to me.

The tech on this is incredible and still holds its own (when it works).

Anyone?

MoltenTiger

I've had an amazing hopper experience as well from day 1. I have 1 newer updated OG ss hopper with an IO backend, it's my last fully proper functioning unit. I've had it since 2020 and it was stored for a year or so while i used the IO, now that it went this is all I have as far as hoppers are concerned.

Extremely disappointed with their outcome but we all saw it coming just didn't know when, and to give them credit they did what many said was basically impossible, I was there on the day 1 discussions about the project. They did the almost impossible for the ones that worked without issues at least.

But seeing the reality of the situation with all the failure rate posts I knew what was coming one day. Now the ultimate question is, 3D printing is now easily accessible, many have mastered it at this point. WHY has no one reverse engineered the heater and make a replica or something similar with the same functionality?

If these two guys with an initial shoestring budget could do it, by now the tech costs for something like this would have definitely come down since 2013-14 when they designed their prototype, a much larger company could easily bring this to market, it's not making sense to me.

The tech on this is incredible and still holds its own (when it works).

Anyone?
Yeah it's a marvel

The Hopper is a goat. I only got mine out again recently and it is just a huge pity about the eventual fizzle out. Days using a good Hopper are golden.

These guys custom made everything. It's hard to imagine something so ambitious being observable again to me, but I think it was an incredibly awesome effort. It gave me so much entertainment, inspiration, and some of the best sessions of all time in all sorts of places. With such a layered history it's easy to forget so many facets of the reality the Hopper Labs project unwove. The convenience of the hopper redefined my lifestyle and gave me enormous enjoyment.

I have been using the TM2 pretty much full time since I got one. it does a different job. Similar, better and worse.
The pen form factor is just ideal.

I got a V3 Nano, it's also ultra portable and performs as good as a mediocre hopper, better than many legacy units and better than a fading io.

The hopper heater tech, insulation, efficiency and ease of use - all amazing. Hands down one of the sickest gadgets of all time.

JBone65

The Grasshopper was an ambitious stainless steel marvel IMO. The project ran for years, in spite of the unrealistic lifetime warranty, only because the device really did work (most of the time, if used very carefully, etc., etc.). I paid a relatively small amount of money and stayed seriously stoned most of the time for five years. For every fool that got lucky, like me, one or two others apparently had a bad experience.

I'm enjoying an inexpensive plug-in desktop device called a Bamboo HI (Heat Island). These are small custom devices, not sure if they are widely marketed. Gave up the convenience of portability but gained thicker clouds with minimal effort. 😏

JBone65

I've blurted this opinion before: IMO if Hopper Labs would have marketed the device with a typical limited warranty, they might have enjoyed greater success. I didn't start following until late 2016, so don't know the full history of the ambitious lifetime warranty and/or crowd funding.

Adobewan

I was also a lucky one, my 2 original Hoppers still work, but I use them rarely for fear of pushing them toward their demise. I was able to gift Io's thanks to the gracious and generous @mephisto and I believe they are still working as well, but also babied.
I still remember the thrill when this was introduced. Such a killer design. One of the only crowdfunding projects I've contributed to.

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
I still kinda wish I bought an extra hopper before they closed but I kept putting it off because of how expensive it was. I never got to try the IO... my secondhand hopper still works, though it runs extremely cool and I have to heat it a lot more now. Still really love the form factor, legitimately my favorite vape despite everything. I'll try soaking it in ISO to see if that helps at all.

Top Bottom