Discontinued Hopper io

kokolokokolokon

Anyone can tell me if a Nitecore new i2, i2 or i4 would work for the GH3/GH2 batteries?

(I have dark thoughts about remaking part of the GH body for a 21700)

kokolokokolokon,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Anyone can tell me if a Nitecore new i2, i2 or i4 would work for the GH3/GH2 batteries?

(I have dark thoughts about remaking part of the GH body for a 21700)
Should be fine. Be aware your batteries are getting old, especially the ghb2's!
Hoppers need pretty perky batteries to work well!

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Hoppers need pretty perky batteries to work well!
Simply and well-stated! I took my IO out of mothballs last weekend and fired it up with the battery in it (I know they should be removed but I didn’t do that). I got a great first draw and then the subsequent ones had the lights flickering. I put another fully charged one in and pretty much the same thing - good first draw and then flashing lights. Both batts were from my second-to-last batch of batteries. I don’t recall if they’re GHB2’s or 3’s but the point is - and I’ve stated this before - Hopper batts are perhaps the overall weak link. They have a short shelf life IMO. If you don’t use them often they’ll lose their capacity quickly. I’m not an electrical engineer but Hopper batts tend to be variable in nature and not the best compared to popular types, including 18650’s.

It was however good to use the IO again. I do have 3 brand new Hopper batts I purchased from Chosty I put in my fridge without charging them yet. Perhaps one day soon I’ll take those off ice and try them out. :peace:

Vaporific

PSA: Hopper accessories sale on Chosty: https://chosty.com/collections/hopper-labs

I used my Hopper IO recently and swapped my original body back. The one where I bent the edge of the body frontend trying to remove the heating assembly. I removed it with pliers and bent the edge to the point the native frontend doesn’t screw on freely and it’s a pain to unscrew. If the frontend is screwed on all the way, the entire heating assembly comes out with it when I unscrew the frontend. I bought a gently used IO body from someone on here last year which works but it lacked the horsepower of my original body and I wanted to try the original body again. I prefer my original body but the bent end is the trade off. Sigh. I did buy new batts from Chosty last year which haven’t been charged and stored immediately in my fridge. Perhaps I’ll charge them up soon…:peace:

JBone65

I was lucky, enjoyed three grasshoppers for almost six years, usually got repairs or replacement parts under warranty within three weeks. Somehow I fell into an efficient rhythm with the hoppers. My consumption rate was relatively low, usually 2 loads/day, 8 enjoyable hits/load. Still miss it. Not complaining, getting excellent hits with my cheap little bamboo HI. :razz::leaf::peace:

ondemander

I still have a great hitting one in my rotation. Super flavorful and hits good. I have to charge the batteries after 1 load though.

ondemander,

Vaporific

Still miss it.
What happened to your Hoppers?

I have to charge the batteries after 1 load though.
Hopper batts work well at the onset and I think they lose their capacity and effectiveness quickly. That’s been my experience with their batteries over many years and from several batches of batteries. Indeed, older ones need to be recharged frequently and don’t take much of a charge as they quickly lose their capacity - even mostly draining them and then recharging them. Just from practical experience, IMO. :peace:

Vaporific,

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
I fished my hopper out of storage and it reminded me I haven't been hanging out on FC in a long while! Lotta changes in life had me in a transitive state wrt housing and only just got settled again.

The battery I stored only gives me a few loads per charge but man... I love this piece of crap. I was really rooting for them to get their act together, but I guess they're officially dead. I got mine secondhand for about $70 so never really dealt with the drama from the company itself even though I really hated the way they treated customers, so it's a little bitter sweet to see.

Here's to better vape companies in the future (or them selling the tech and a competent engineer r&ding a more dependable design).

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I fished my hopper out of storage and it reminded me I haven't been hanging out on FC in a long while! Lotta changes in life had me in a transitive state wrt housing and only just got settled again.

The battery I stored only gives me a few loads per charge but man... I love this piece of crap. I was really rooting for them to get their act together, but I guess they're officially dead. I got mine secondhand for about $70 so never really dealt with the drama from the company itself even though I really hated the way they treated customers, so it's a little bitter sweet to see.

Here's to better vape companies in the future (or them selling the tech and a competent engineer r&ding a more dependable design).
These folks have batteries, 50% off ends in a few days...

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.

JBone65

What happened to your Hoppers?
My io lasted a couple of years. After the backend failed, I was able to buy a used one, but it only lasted a month before it failed. I finally gave up. I'm guessing HL is toast.

Edit: Have been enjoying a bamboo HI. It's an inexpensive plug-in one-hitter. Not portable, and maybe not as efficient, but it gives powerful hits with minimal hassle. It's helping me get thru the difficult "post-grasshopper" adjustment period. I admit, the simplicity and power makes it too easy....

Last edited:
JBone65,

Vaporific

After the backend failed, I was able to buy a used one, but it only lasted a month before it failed. I finally gave up. I'm guessing HL is toast.
Chosty sells backends (and frontends) but not bodies. HL is effectively dead except for their presence on Chosty. I bought new batts from there last year but haven’t used them yet (and they’re in my fridge until I decide to use them). I still enjoy my IO occasionally and I haven’t used my OG Hopper in months. I love the quick hits though battery life these days is fleeting at best. I’ll drain the ones in main rotation before I use the new ones from Chosty. :peace:

JBone65

Chosty sells backends (and frontends) but not bodies. HL is effectively dead except for their presence on Chosty. I bought new batts from there last year but haven’t used them yet (and they’re in my fridge until I decide to use them). I still enjoy my IO occasionally and I haven’t used my OG Hopper in months. I love the quick hits though battery life these days is fleeting at best. I’ll drain the ones in main rotation before I use the new ones from Chosty. :peace:
$110 for a backend is too much IMO, although I'm sure someone will be happy to pay it. One reason I loved my hoppers is that I only paid $200 for the first one in 2016 and probably got 20-25000 pleasant hits over the next 5-3/4 years. The crazy lifetime warranty made it happen. In hindsight, another reason I enjoyed it was that I tended to use less weed with it, natively, which somehow got me mo' stoned. :hmm:

Vaporific

$110 for a backend is too much IMO, although I'm sure someone will be happy to pay it.
I agree. I thought HL was selling new spare bodies for about the same price, however that is not offered on Chosty - just backends and front ends for main parts (including batteries too, both GBH3s and 3’s labeled as 2’s - LOL). I’m all but done with HL except maybe buying new batteries (from Chosty if available) as long as my Hoppers continue to work. It’s been an interesting run since I got my OG Hopper in ‘16 and IO in ‘20. Don’t know what, if anything, HL is up to now. :peace:

scouse

do these backends work on the first grasshopper I've got a red flashing light one of those in my drawer plus I bought a hopper io used from someone that still works but not very well so my question would that backend work in both models

scouse,
Top Bottom