• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

WhyAreWeWaiting

The thing that pisses me off the most was from the get go they knew more than 80% of their customers got duds. Yet each and every time I had to go thru this whole song and dance at convincing them I deserve a RMA and it’s the product and not the user . I suspected it was a delay tactic from the start but good to see my hunches were correct. I’m okay with their product not being dependable but I’m not okay with being purposefully misled and strung along by people with no ethics.
Right from the start when we'd paid for the GHs in advance, they dragged it out for almost 2 years. Always manana. They must be the unluckiest company ever. Always bad things happening like fires, having to move premises, staff sick, no parts, etc, etc. They've run through every excuse in the book of excuses. For anyone who wasn't suckered yet by Hopper and is thinking of buying one all I can say is "you don't need the grief." Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The thing that pisses me off the most was from the get go they knew more than 80% of their customers got duds. Yet each and every time I had to go thru this whole song and dance at convincing them I deserve a RMA and it’s the product and not the user . I suspected it was a delay tactic from the start but good to see my hunches were correct. I’m okay with their product not being dependable but I’m not okay with being purposefully misled and strung along by people with no ethics.
Quality is job 1 and HL has missed the boat early on, dealing with RMAs, and, for some, with the IO (and RMAs for those as well). I guess I’d call myself lucky in that both my OG and IO worked well for 1+ years out of the gate and then they succumbed to the gunk factor (hindsight is always 20/20 and I’ve only come to realize that recently, even after my OG was in RMA for a year a couple years back).

There are lots of improvements HL could make, removing the heating chamber more easily included. I’ll bet my OG just needed a deep clean behind the chamber instead of a frustrating year waiting for the RMA. I rolled the dice with the IO and bought it near the end of the OG’s RMA. All things considered I’ve been fairly lucky and have good vaping experiences with both when they were working optimally. Others however have had myriad experiences likely due to QC issues especially when failure was almost immediate if not DOA (yes, there have been many reports of things, both new and RMAs, come back and not work out of the gate). I doubt I’ll buy another Hopper and support the Mickey Mouse operation; if mine continue to work I’ll buy new batts every so often as long as they’re in business. I make no prediction however as to their future - it’ll be what it’ll be. TGIF to all. :peace:

JBone65

If I'm understanding you, HL tried to convince you it was a user problem and not a defective product. What did they say exactly? Can you describe the problem(s) you experienced?

I'm guessing they've sold more than 10,000 units to date, maybe 20,000, and somehow, despite the crazy warranty, they're still in business. I only find around 35 official complaints with the BBB, and some of those are marked as resolved. I never had any trouble convincing them when I had a failure. I always gave them a concise (but carefully worded) description so that the first response I received was approval and instructions, it was the same with each of the 4-5 RMAs. With the OG you had to go thru a flow chart to try and figure out the failure mechanism before you submitted the RMA.

Edit: Just bored, thought your problem with HL sounded interesting. Haven't heard much about RMA refusals. There's also a remote chance this group of a-holes might know what's wrong with your unit.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

NICE!!!

As a side note, since you took the time to create and post a video...

I see you are using the quick ON/OFF cycle, as just about everyone has recommended in this long thread. I always try to follow in the steps of the Trail Blazers, but recently, I’ve been purposely being less quick on the button between hits, mostly short breaks. Perhaps I’m just not giving as big a shit as I used when I first started with my IO. It’s certainly true, some battery life will be extended by turning it off ASAP, but on the other hand there is more mechanical cycles on the switch assembly, though the components seem fairly robust having seen all parts when my backend popped out on day #1, out of the box.

I also have a total of 10 new batteries, but NOT rotating, just going to us one at a time and continue to keep on charger ring. This is the only device I don’t rotate batteries and charge externally, as I never want to deal with the backend popping out. Two weeks later when I received the replacement backend, I was finally able to try my IO, for the first time.

Anyways, too many words to get to the point. In my tests, I was surprised that the DRAW SENSOR works so well, there seems like minimal heat if turned on, but not drawing. And it’s not just the user drawing air up and through the heater as convection style, the heater actually gets HOTTER when it senses the draw. I’m familiar with similar draw sensors, but on inexpensive devices it’s more an ON/OFF switch, but on the IO, the current to the heater is variable. You can test yours with a proper multimeter and temperature probe.

Point being, I’m keeping it ON between short hits, maybe I get a little bonus conduction as well. Just a thought....

tryingtowin

NICE!!!

As a side note, since you took the time to create and post a video...

I see you are using the quick ON/OFF cycle, as just about everyone has recommended in this long thread. I always try to follow in the steps of the Trail Blazers, but recently, I’ve been purposely being less quick on the button between hits, mostly short breaks. Perhaps I’m just not giving as big a shit as I used when I first started with my IO. It’s certainly true, some battery life will be extended by turning it off ASAP, but on the other hand there is more mechanical cycles on the switch assembly, though the components seem fairly robust having seen all parts when my backend popped out on day #1, out of the box.

I also have a total of 10 new batteries, but NOT rotating, just going to us one at a time and continue to keep on charger ring. This is the only device I don’t rotate batteries and charge externally, as I never want to deal with the backend popping out. Two weeks later when I received the replacement backend, I was finally able to try my IO, for the first time.

Anyways, too many words to get to the point. In my tests, I was surprised that the DRAW SENSOR works so well, there seems like minimal heat if turned on, but not drawing. And it’s not just the user drawing air up and through the heater as convection style, the heater actually gets HOTTER when it senses the draw. I’m familiar with similar draw sensors, but on inexpensive devices it’s more an ON/OFF switch, but on the IO, the current to the heater is variable. You can test yours with a proper multimeter and temperature probe.

Point being, I’m keeping it ON between short hits, maybe I get a little bonus conduction as well. Just a thought....
Good idea..I have a hunch longer runs keeps the unit running better..as far as battery life i don't find it drains any quicker than normally..i can still get a few bowls out of it.

I will be conducting an experiment tomorrow and time how long i keep the IO on while being passed back and forth before i shut it off for a small break and restart it again.

I also have another quick hack if wanting to do an extended sesh or multi sesh..let it run (click on..do your sesh enjoy it..let it run..puff on and off casually) and if your worried the battery is getting too hot do the following) for a few mins pop out battery (the battery will still easily be half charge but warm) and pop in a new fresh one and away you go..easily extending run time and keeps running no problem.

iI'm not too worried about the heater or the components over heating or being destroyed..as i have it running the IO is being drawn upon basically continuously for 2-3 sometimes 4 mins thus keeping the heat buildup to a minimum, my guage at when to turn it off is how hot the outside gets. I will then do a quick feel test to check battery temp and it's not at all hot or even how hot I think it would get, as obviously heat will degrade the battery and I guess as well the battery could potentially explode as the battery could potentially get too hot, this has never happend as all my batteries only get warm hot and never exaggerated hot.

Obviously use at own risk. But for myself I've been using it this way since day 1 and so far so good.

JBone65

General question to anyone: What weed quality level do you prefer?

Of course, premium weed would always be preferable, except when it's drastically overpriced. In that case is medium price or budget weed a better option?

The io appears to work the same with any weed, you see a lot of vapor, a good portion of it is probably water vapor and you can't tell how much THC there is. My io does the job, but it's not as satisfying or as economical with any of the 3-4 bargain strains I've purchased recently.

This started because I was able to get incredible Durbin Poison in Denver for $100/oz a few years ago. Tried to find bargains ever since, but prices are generally higher now so it's not working.

The local market is very competitive, but I'm finding that good looking $100 ounces end up costing just as much $150 ounces because I use them faster. I'm getting less hits per bowl and my daily consumption rate is probably up 25-30%.

I'm thinking the difference is that the better weed literally makes me stumble away and forget it, whereas I'll hit 80% weed more frequently. I guess there's an upside to buying weed that is strong enough to make you crazy, if you save money in the process.

Growing is the ultimate solution but until then, I'm rationalizing better weed.

JBone65,

tryingtowin

CLICK HERE FOR SCREENSHOT
WOW!!!!!!!! I'm actually stunned af...What I thought to be 2-3 mins is actually a bone chilling 10 minutes!!!!!!!! WHAT???? LOL btw I'm high af..I actually was good around 9:30 mins and let it go til 10 just to say i could run it til 10 lmao and obviously this coulda ran about 1 or 2 more mins before the outside got really hot... im shocked..leave your comments

tryingtowin,

RustyOldNail

CLICK HERE FOR SCREENSHOT
WOW!!!!!!!! I'm actually stunned af...What I thought to be 2-3 mins is actually a bone chilling 10 minutes!!!!!!!! WHAT???? LOL btw I'm high af..I actually was good around 9:30 mins and let it go til 10 just to say i could run it til 10 lmao and obviously this coulda ran about 1 or 2 more mins before the outside got really hot... im shocked..leave your comments

Not sure what you are testing? The IO has a 18 second cutoff, unless you are drawing air through it. Are you drawing for 10 minutes....

RustyOldNail,

tryingtowin

Not sure what you are testing? The IO has a 18 second cutoff, unless you are drawing air through it. Are you drawing for 10 minutes....
I posted earlier that I run my IO continuously running as a session vape passing back and forth with a fully packed bowl..works amazing! My initial thought was I only ran it for 2-3 mins...I was WAY off.

tryingtowin,

RustyOldNail

I posted earlier that I run my IO continuously running as a session vape passing back and forth with a fully packed bowl..works amazing! My initial thought was I only ran it for 2-3 mins...I was WAY off.

Ok, so then someone is inhaling on the IO, in less then 18 seconds, and it continues to fire. That’s interesting, so how HOT does the body feel?

tryingtowin

Ok, so then someone is inhaling on the IO, in less then 18 seconds, and it continues to fire. That’s interesting, so how HOT does the body feel?
Yep..it's a very casual session..It gets passed back and forth about 5 times..a few hits each time a few sec break between hits..very natural casual like usage...The body from previous usage would get very hot now knowing around the 11-12 min mark and the 10 mark was nice and hot warm near where i hold it and obviously the heater part hot because the heater is right there...But again very natural use until 10 mins very comfy..I wish all you guys could experience it..First time ever timing it and I can't believe how long the run time is!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
My buddy used to do that with his OG SS Hopper, particularly out in the cold hiking, he and another buddy would pass it back and forth leaving it on... I've never done that with any of mine, never really wanted to, I tested it a bit way back when using the original... Maybe I'll try it with my blue IO at some point, not sure when, I just don't know if it makes sense for my usage these days!

RustyOldNail

Yep..it's a very casual session..It gets passed back and forth about 5 times..a few hits each time a few sec break between hits..very natural casual like usage...The body from previous usage would get very hot now knowing around the 11-12 min mark and the 10 mark was nice and hot warm near where i hold it and obviously the heater part hot because the heater is right there...But again very natural use until 10 mins very comfy..I wish all you guys could experience it..First time ever timing it and I can't believe how long the run time is!

With my .2 gram loads, my loads are completed extracted in 5-8 draws, in just a few minutes, what’s left to vape at 10 minutes?

tryingtowin

With my .2 gram loads, my loads are completed extracted in 5-8 draws, in just a few minutes, what’s left to vape at 10 minutes?
depends on the weed quality..if its AA OR AAA semi decent for the grade AA after about 4mins nothing left...quads let me vape at least that 1 full 10 min sesh...also i have a bubbler..if I use quads on that there's no way in hell I'll get the same run time .id estimate way less because im pulling on the water pipe for about 30-40 seconds per hit..vs my casual pass back and forth..in my sesh use I probably take 10-15 sec hits once its nice and hot..Diff styles will act all diff depending how I use it

JBone65

With good second tier weed, temp stepping my io will give a session consisting of 11-12 excellent 10-15 second hits, sort of like sharing a full size joint made with roughly twice as much weed.

That would require two batteries, but it could be an enjoyable session.

There is one problem. My io is mostly for personal use. When I'm around others these days, they usually have their own.

Also, when I use it I can sense when I've gotten enough, click the button, and it continues hitting during cool down. This is probably the reason I get so many good hits. Anytime I let some jackass get a hit they are preoccupied with wanting to see a thick vapor cloud. I don't like handing off a fresh load only to see them waste it and not even hold it in 2 seconds. From my limited experience, people who routinely smoke joints or use disposable cartridge pens won't immediately appreciate a genuine flower vaporizer. It can't be any good if it doesn't make you cough....

Spleeeno

Horsin around
yeah its not one of those "just hand it to someone and they will make it work just right" kind of vapes.
I'm kinda expecting the anvil to fit into that niche, cant wait for my preorder to arrive...

Spleeeno,

JBone65

General question to anyone: What weed quality level do you prefer?

Of course, premium weed would always be preferable, except when it's drastically overpriced. In that case is medium price or budget weed a better option?

The io appears to work the same with any weed, you see a lot of vapor, a good portion of it is probably water vapor and you can't tell how much THC there is. My io does the job, but it's not as satisfying or as economical with any of the 3-4 bargain strains I've purchased recently.

This started because I was able to get incredible Durbin Poison in Denver for $100/oz a few years ago. Tried to find bargains ever since, but prices are generally higher now so it's not working.

The local market is very competitive, but I'm finding that good looking $100 ounces end up costing just as much $150 ounces because I use them faster. I'm getting less hits per bowl and my daily consumption rate is probably up 25-30%.

I'm thinking the difference is that the better weed literally makes me stumble away and forget it, whereas I'll hit 80% weed more frequently. I guess there's an upside to buying weed that is strong enough to make you crazy, if you save money in the process.

Growing is the ultimate solution but until then, I'm rationalizing better weed.
I used to temp step at every 1/2 mark followed by an extra 2 hits at maximum temperature for 11 consistent (powerful) hits from every load. All the weed I got worked great like this for several years.

Bought several $100 ounces of gorgeous weed awhile back. Looks great but isn't giving 11 hits per load. The minimum temp (terp hit) and the maximum temp hits are the best but some of the mid-range hits are weak.

Temporarily cutting back to 7-8 hits per load, one on each mark plus an extra 3-4 on the maximum setting.

It might be my imagination but the weed I ended up with this past year wasn't up to par IMO. Maybe I screwed up multiple times, maybe this is only a problem in the mid-continent area.

It's my (new) view that, since the grasshopper only holds 0.2 g, and you can't stir, it's more efficient and enjoyable with premium weed. Wondering if I should spring for top shelf weed.

Last edited:
JBone65,

JBone65

It's awful quiet in here...😳

Using the io more than ever. The weed I've collected just isn't as good these days. Only getting 8-9 hits per load, and up to 2 1/2 loads per day.

I must have been lucky to get incredible weed these past few years, but I think Oklahoma is now flooded with mediocre weed. More than 9000 commercial grow licenses have been issued, with 2200 licensed dispensaries in this small state. Any fool with $2800 can be a commercial grower. Something doesn't add up. Anyway, lots of mediocre weed and fake test sheets out there.

I'm anxious to grow it again. That's probably the best way to get maximum terpenoids for the io. Can have up to 8 flowering and 8 vegetative plants with a plain medical license.

Edit: Could be wrong but I suspect some growers choose yield over quality. I made a mistake buying strains based mostly on the reported (24-26%) THC level. Dispensaries won't let you get a good wiff these days, the system is rigged!!!

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Raised a warranty on my 2nd IO last week. They already have the 1st faulty one I sent to them in October 2021. No response. Forget about the lifetime guarantee. It doesn't exist.
Their recent relative lack of communication with folks speaks volumes. Likely cash flow (or lack thereof) and possibly supply chain issues too but we’ve all done the speculative dance before with HL (myself included for a yearlong RMA on my OG a few years back). History keeps repeating itself with HL. It’s a shame and they have none.

I’ve been trying to have a Hopper weekend primarily using my IO. With pliers, the same one I used to remove the heater chamber and bent it while doing so, I tried trueing it so the native frontend screws on more freely. Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING PLIERS OR ANY TOOL TO REMOVE THE HEATING CHAMBER.

The fix makes it a little better to screw and unscrew the frontend than before but it’s not near original fit and rotation. I’ll again try a full cleaning to see if that helps and I did one after I bent the chamber which didn’t do much. It’s probably as good as it’s going to be - unless I spring for new body. The jury is still out on this one and it’s not about cost. I removed the heating chamber to clean out behind it since my IO was running colder and not consistently producing vapor as it has for 16-17 months prior. It has been better since I removed and cleaned the backend of the heat chamber with light ISO. The trade off was a bent chamber at the loading end. And then I’m fairly certain I’ve yet confirmed…

another battery issue. Like of the three new ones purchased from HL a couple of months ago, one of them ain’t like the other. I get steady light with it on the first draw or two on full charge and then it just flashes. Not so with the other two. There’s a Hopper Coefficent which is the percentage of time your Hopper works with respecte to length of ownership. We’ll their batteries need a similar rating; I’ve averaged about 66-75% good working batteries in all my years with Hoppers (one OG and one IO). Their batteries aren’t that great to begin with let alone getting consistent ones. If you don’t use them for a while and they sit, I find they lose their capacity quickly. They’re not meant to have long shelf lives from my experience (along with getting a dud in nearly every batch I’ve gotten over the years). I’ll leave it there.

Cheers! :peace: :peace:

mulciber

I guess I drop in here every now and then just to remind myself that people can believe, however inexplicably, in utter scams. And I suppose I have to give the Hopper people credit for successfully managing theirs for so many years. Still, if you're coming to this forum and not getting the message that this "business" exists to rip people off, I don't know what to say except that I was once one of your number and you have my sympathies.

Last edited:

JBone65

Anyone received a new or repaired unit lately? Any other signs of life from HL? 🙄

Mine still works great, can't last forever.🦗

Spleeeno

Horsin around
did your brother-in-laws black friday order finally arrive?
just hit my io with the ac adapter today, its so great not being dependant on hopper lab batteries :science:

JBone65

did your brother-in-laws black friday order finally arrive?
just hit my io with the ac adapter today, its so great not being dependant on hopper lab batteries :science:
No, HL appears to have fucked my brother, poor bastard.... He paid two months ago and no package, no email, nothing..

I warned him about HL but he wanted one after trying a few hits. Can't imagine why. All I did was zap him with a couple of strong terp hits.

Top Bottom