Discontinued Hopper io

WhyAreWeWaiting

It's very interesting that a bunch of batteries, including new ones, and a bunch of io's, including new ones, all appear to have the same problem.

Logically, either all the batteries are bad or all the io's are bad, or everything is bad. Otherwise you'd be able to find at least one battery/io combination that works correctly.

It still sounds like there could be some sort of charging problem. You might only be getting a partial charge for some unknown reason.

I can get 4-6 long hits per charge, although I attach the charging ring after 3-4 hits so don't often deplete the battery.

My hits can be 15 seconds or longer, this can be very taxing on a battery at the maximum setting. Might only get 3 long hits (15+ seconds) on the maximum temperature setting. If using a glass bong or carburetor, in pursuit of milky vapor, 4 hits might be expected.

Maybe they're not all bad. You said you got 4 hits from one battery, this could be normal IMO.

Several batteries performed noticably worse according to your test data. Maybe it's time to recycle the old batteries if they are giving less hits, to rule out the obvious problems going forward.

What's up with the battery that wouldn't fit? Never heard of that. Please post pics.

On a side note, still learning how to clean mine, and I'm in my sixth year. Found some 91% ISO. Got more resin out of the threads by pressing a wet q-tip hard against them. The MP goes on/off like new. Slowly cleaning the brown film from the interior chamber walls down toward the screen. Apparently I had allowed a significant build-up of nasty resin over the past year. It was thickest near the mouth but it's concerning that the brown resin coating extends all the way to the intake screen. I can't see any on the topside of the screen where I've always cleaned but I wonder what's hiding on the underside. Tried to upload a pic but no can do.
The batteries are made to special order for Hopper. So you can be sure it's some Mickey Mouse company in China that produces inferior batteries for at most a couple of dollars a piece. Then Hopper flogs them on for $14. It's in their interest to continue to sell inferior batteries because they have a captive market and the profitability is high. Why they didn't use a battery size that's readily available is a mystery.

I bought 3 new batteries last year because they were claiming that my problems were being caused by old batteries. The new ones performed exactly the same as the old one - poorly.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The batteries are made to special order for Hopper. So you can be sure it's some Mickey Mouse company in China that produces inferior batteries for at most a couple of dollars a piece. Then Hopper flogs them on for $14. It's in their interest to continue to sell inferior batteries because they have a captive market and the profitability is high. Why they didn't use a battery size that's readily available is a mystery.

I bought 3 new batteries last year because they were claiming that my problems were being caused by old batteries. The new ones performed exactly the same as the old one - poorly.
I’ve opined several times herein over the years their batteries aren’t great. Inconsistent too - a dud in each batch I buy. The good ones of the bunch don’t have long shelf lives even in rotation and externally charging them (most of the time). If you let them sit too long without using them they seem to lose their capacity quicker. And if you use an optimal number in rotation then you’re running then down on a quicker pace. Hard to explain but it’s a balancing act. :peace:

Vaporific,

WhyAreWeWaiting

I’ve opined several times herein over the years their batteries aren’t great. Inconsistent too - a dud in each batch I buy. The good ones of the bunch don’t have long shelf lives even in rotation and externally charging them (most of the time). If you let them sit too long without using them they seem to lose their capacity quicker. And if you use an optimal number in rotation then you’re running then down on a quicker pace. Hard to explain but it’s a balancing act. :peace:
Everything about Hopper is poor quality and 2nd rate. From the batteries to the product to the appalling Customer Service, everything sucks. It looks great, especially stealthwise, but everything else about it is poor. Who wants a cool looking stealthy portable pen vape that you have to keep on charge all the time with custom built power supplies? And which works for 2 or 3 weeks of regular use before it rapidly deteriorates. Design faults the same as the OG. Any vape that has to be sent back to the factory to be cleaned is useless. XMax V3 Pro is a much better and cheaper option.

JBone65

Still, I'm in my 6th year for $285 total spent on devices, amortized to around $0.01 for every excellent hit. Definitely had to work thru some issues along the way but HL has treated me respectfully. Although 9-10 years old today, the design was ahead of it's time. There must be more dinosaurs like me, something is keeping HL alive.

:myday: :myday: :myday: :myday: :myday:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
something is keeping HL alive
It must be their marvelous reputation for stellar customer service, or maybe it's that lifetime warranty.
Not.
When they released the io, some of the wording in the warranty changed. There's now a disclaimer allowing them to take however long they want to repair a warranty hopper. Adds another facet of meaning to the term "lifetime"!
They are taking full advantage of that clause lately!
I have 2 coming up on 4 months now, waiting for permission to even send them in.

tryingtowin

heading into 21 months of daily usage..calculated to be around 15-30 mins a day on and off thats easily over 80-100 hours of use...if this IO worked the same as it does for me, for all of you this whole forum would be praising GH. If my IO broke again after 2-3-6 months id be losing my shit too and just as mad as most of you..

The only thing keeping me on board with GH is because clearly it can be done as i have the proof right infront of me, now the problem is why the fk cant they figure it out for everyone? There has to be a ton of users close to my use who dont even come on here. I just got very very lucky..I did notice something on the old device..they mentioned they didn't use wires anywhere in the device..correct me if im wrong..but i opened up an old OG titanium hopper and the heater is connected to 3 little wires..not that it has anything to do with anything..just remembered they said no wires were used..but it has them..

If i had to do this all over again from the OG crowdfunding and waiting the 2 yrs and the other bs..I already did it and these past 20 months were deff worth it I'd do it all over again.

The difference is I don't have confidence in attempting to buy another IO incase this one breaks as it's not looking good or would be in my favor..

I just asked the universe to send me one that wouldn't break and here we are. I will tell you something I noticed.

My backend is a Titanium pc and my body is the stainless steel IO..

just another possibility to get some discussion going..

cheerz!

Vaporific

Anyone hear anything, anything at all from HL recently? Awfully quiet and they didn’t return my last email inquiry about a clarification from my previous email which they responded to quickly. The sound of silence is deafening… :peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: Tweakz

JBone65

Haven't heard anything, but haven't had a reason to contact HL either.

Noticed my io wasn't very satisfying this morning. Didn't realize until after I cleaned it that it was partially plugged.

Still not 100% sure what was plugged. I could see daylight thru the MP, and the tip was clear but the inside of the screen probably had some la-gunga stuck on it. I normally just soak the MP for a bit and pour some ISO thru it. This time I filled it halfway several times and shook it, got out a little brownish ISO each time.

The air flows freely and it's hitting great again. 5 1/2 years and still learning.

JBone65,

GoGlass

Hello IO Users,

I have an IO since one year and i must confess that this thing is my most enjoyable vape ! (however i have never been able to use it direct with my mouth, way too hot for me !!! Glass tools are mandatory !)

But like a lot of person i have now the clicker syndrom....and it's getting worse.....
..... Sometimes i must click ten times for power up ....
..... Sometimes i must click three times for power off ....

Is there a way to fix this problem ? Or maybe a guide for cleaning the IO, here in the FC Forums ?

Thanks !

PS : @Vaporific, like you i have no news and no answer to my mails from HL since two weeks.

Vaporific

Hello IO Users,

I have an IO since one year and i must confess that this thing is my most enjoyable vape ! (however i have never been able to use it direct with my mouth, way too hot for me !!! Glass tools are mandatory !)

But like a lot of person i have now the clicker syndrom....and it's getting worse.....

Is there a way to fix this problem ? Or maybe a guide for cleaning the IO, here in the FC Forums ?

Thanks !

PS : @Vaporific, like you i have no news and no answer to my mails from HL since two weeks.
Sorry to hear about your backend. I’ve never had an issue with that part with either my OG or IO. Others have had one of a few reported issues with the backend (yours and it also falling apart). I just don’t know how prevalent the issues are with the backend. I do hope they reply back to you. Me, not so much and I don’t care if they don’t.

I clean mine occasionally with light ISO swabbed qtips and Blu-Tac afterward on the threads. I occasionally use Deoxit on the contacts on the backend and at the bottom of the battery area, i.e. positive terminal. It’s a bit difficult with a Deoxit pen since it’s almost as wide as the Hopper and not much room to get a good swipe. I don’t have extra long qtips and should try to get some to reach down there. Hope this helps! Good luck!

I took my IO on errands today and it was good to have and use in the car. I keep the first gen mag charger in my car (and second gen at home). I haven’t used my IO much lately since I bent the diameter of the heating chamber and unscrewing the frontend takes quite a bit of effort and, especially when cool, can unscrew the heating chamber from the body. It’s an occasional pain in the ass and I’ll live with it unless I get another body (they won’t sell me just a new heating chamber - I asked already). That was related to my recent inquires to HL; my follow up message hasn’t been returned in 8 days and they replied within hours of my first one. My OG still works too and can dutifully serve as a backup if necessary. For some our Hopper days are dwindling. Cheers. :peace:

Vaporific,

GoGlass

Thanks for your reply !

Indeed, what a terrific and sad situation with this vape !

I hope mine last for years because i have a feeling that maybe repair will not be possible..... I hope that i'am wrong.

Also @Vaporific , is Deoxit some kind of lubricant ?

GoGlass,

Vaporific

Thanks for your reply !

I hope mine last for years because i have a feeling that maybe repair will not be possible..... I hope that i'am wrong.

Indeed terrific and sad with the vape and Hopper Labs - since their inception. HL has again gone dark and no one really knows how they’re doing. We’ll see and I won’t speculate. I wish everyone’s Hopper works well out of the gate and for a long time yet many have had issues and some have been fairly lucky to reap the rewards of a very good vape when it works.

Deoxit is an electronics cleaner. I think it comes in a few different forms; there’s a pen shaped one which I bought on Amazon (I don’t have a link but it’s easily searchable). I thought the pen would get down to that bottom contact in the Hopper body but there’s hardly any wiggle room to move it so I don’t know how effective it is there. I use it on the backend contact. Hope this helps. :peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: Tweakz

JBone65

Thanks for your reply !

Not sure why a clicker would stop making connections. It could be repaired with a proper cleaning and some sort of non-conductive lubricant (Edit: Not sure what sort of lubricant can be used.). Please keep us informed. Everyone wants to know if HL will come thru or if the party's finally over.

Backends are easily replaced if HL is willing to do it. My io backend failed when it was 3 months old, more than a year ago. The temperature dial got very tight and it eventually popped apart when I forced it. I opened a warranty request, with a very brief description of the failure. Fortunately HL came thru and answered my request a week later saying they would mail a replacement part as soon as I send in the broken part and email the tracking number. I was down 2-3 weeks that time. You should initiate this process, maybe HL will respond. You can also try to clean it in the meantime.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Not sure why a clicker would stop making connections. It could be repaired with a proper cleaning and some sort of non-conductive lubricant (Edit: Not sure what sort of lubricant can be used.). Please keep us informed. Everyone wants to know if HL will come thru or if the party's finally over.

Backends are easily replaced if HL is willing to do it. My io backend failed when it was 3 months old, more than a year ago. The temperature dial got very tight and it eventually popped apart when I forced it. I opened a warranty request, with a very brief description of the failure. Fortunately HL came thru and answered my request a week later saying they would mail a replacement part as soon as I send in the broken part and email the tracking number. I was down 2-3 weeks that time. You should initiate this process, maybe HL will respond. You can also try to clean it in the meantime.
How did you fix and clean yours? I don’t do much near where the temp dial spins, and I’ve never had mine get tight so I try to avoid, minimally, any ISO near there. I apply light ISO all over the rest of the backend, dexoxit on the contact, and then Blu-Tac on all threads (on the body both side and frontend too - love Blu-Tac! - after that is bathed in ISO). Of course the chamber is gently brushed out and gently swabbed with ISO - with the Hopper upside down. I don’t use that much ISO but better to be safe than sorry so I do my oven cleaning upside down. That’s my Hopper cleaning routine and has been since ‘16. :peace:

Vaporific,

JBone65

I misspoke in the post above concerning GoGlass's clicker malfunction. Should have said: Maybe the clicker operation can be improved with some sort of cleaning or lubricant. Only guessing, haven't had a clicker problem yet. Have any cleaning solutions or lubricants been applied in the past? Possibly some sort of particles got inside, like dust or sand. Did anything happen to the io immediately before the clicker malfunctioned, did it get wet, etc? Hopefully HL will step up.

I've never applied any sort of lubricant. Would be concerned about causing shorts. I haven't applied ISO to anything above the heating chamber, but I doubt that would hurt anything if you let it dry completely. I would probably try to clean only the clicker, maybe you can keep it out of the dial area.

Last edited:
JBone65,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hello IO Users,

Thanks !

Note that none of this (below) would be condoned by the manufacturer.

Fidgety clicker is a very common issue, discussed a lot here.
I have done full dunk of the whole back end in iso alcohol 99% and not ruined anything. The clicker is more reliable afterwards, for some time, maybe weeks or longer. The other cleaner (maybe better for the device) would be electrical contact cleaner (use a type that touts 'no residue', letting it drench the whole back end.
Then it may need a couple of hours' drying time before use.

Sticky temp dial is also a common issue, discussed a lot here. I have found that sometimes the wash (above) will free up the dial - but only a little, and it soon reverts to tight, hard to turn. I have just resolved to leave the device on temp 3.5; I don't even try to adjust the temp dial anymore.

GoGlass

Thanks for the input JBone, i am gonna try to clean meticulously the backend and see what it does... Also i’ll resend emails to HL this week. i will keep you informed... I hope that there is still life down there...

GoGlass,

GoGlass

After cleaning the threads and the back end with ISO, my IO has less click on/off errors, but it's far from perfect....
I have not tried non-conductive / conductive lubricant.

What worries me the most is after multiple e-mails HL is not responding .......

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@GoGlass, just curious, did you clean only the exterior of the back end (& threads) or did you dunk it in alcohol?

I don't think clicker irregularities are related to thread conductivity, just my two cents.

HL seems to be in head-in-sand mode. I assume they are mostly responding to things related to sales.

Maybe they'll do something novel, like annonce a new website and a new product that will be the ultimate in vaping experience, while still looking like the "classic" we all already have...

About 2 years ago I was very happy that the VLeaf Go had come out, it could approach some of ways hopper was great, for far less $.
Then I was even more excited about the XMax V3 Pro, and still like that one as a stand-in for hopping.
And now I've landed with a Tafee Bowle. The flavors and vapor quality are outstanding. The io is being eclipsed as a product and a brand, both in my experience and the broader markets.
And, I believe, they pretty much brought it on themselves.

GoGlass

@GoGlass, just curious, did you clean only the exterior of the back end (& threads) or did you dunk it in alcohol?

I don't think clicker irregularities are related to thread conductivity, just my two cents.

HL seems to be in head-in-sand mode. I assume they are mostly responding to things related to sales.

Maybe they'll do something novel, like annonce a new website and a new product that will be the ultimate in vaping experience, while still looking like the "classic" we all already have...

About 2 years ago I was very happy that the VLeaf Go had come out, it could approach some of ways hopper was great, for far less $.
Then I was even more excited about the XMax V3 Pro, and still like that one as a stand-in for hopping.
And now I've landed with a Tafee Bowle. The flavors and vapor quality are outstanding. The io is being eclipsed as a product and a brand, both in my experience and the broader markets.
And, I believe, they pretty much brought it on themselves.
I have soaked paper towel with iso, and i have clean exterior of the backend + threads with it, no dunk !

To my great surprise, it has improve the situation, even it's not perfect....

I have seen a lot of positive reviews about the Taffe Bowl, but 'form factor' is a little weird for me !

Here is a pic of my current modded-bubbler setup ..... i'am in love with this config !!!

IMG-20220224-164651.jpg

Tweakz

My io ss is from August‘21 still alive and effective that’s strangely enough :freak:

Has anyone received a response from hopper labs ?

Vaporific

My io ss is from August‘21 still alive and effective that’s strangely enough :freak:

Has anyone received a response from hopper labs ?
Nope. Last email I sent was on Feb 11th asking a quick follow-up question to my initial message 5 weeks prior (Dec 30th) which they replied to right away. Crickets. :peace:

Vaporific,
Top Bottom