• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

Cannabis is made up of lots more than thc, "terpenes" and water. Some of the ingredients produce psychotropic and other physical effects. Various cannabinoids and other organic matter are released at different temps because they each have their own 'boiling point'.
Probably all true, it's hard to say what's true and what isn't in an absolute sense. However, the change in weight of a load can potentially be compared from user to user. For instance, some light users might decrease the mass by 5% and some by 20% just by using different techniques. All theories (fuzzy or not) are worth considering, I'm suggesting actual measurements might tell us something. It's just as easy to test as it is to rationalize. Putting in a light load might allow the heated air to pass over the load, it would be nice if vape devices could be compared in terms of their actual efficiency instead of just opinions.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Have been chasing the sweet leaf >50 years. I assumed that the sweet flavor is the thc, weed obviously needs to taste sweet to be good.

Here's where I'm going with this. A year or so back, early one morning I got a 11th draw from my IO and was surpriseded at how stoned I got. I'm slow but still realized that the (terpene?) flavor isn't necessarily required to get thc in any given hit.

IMO the GH extracts the most intense flavor very quickly at a low temp setting. This makes the first hit or two special but it might not mark the end of the load.

Will try to weigh a load before and after to see the difference. If 24% thc by weight, and relatively dry, will the GH reduce the weight by 24%? Although more difficult to use, moist weed should reduce even more as the H2O is evaporated.

Anyway, 10-11 satisfying hits per load and stretching stash is desirable IMO. Okay, sometimes I can be a lazy tightwad, but I think I'm getting maximum enjoyment at a minimum hassle and cost. My (addicted) brain knows the difference between a satisfying hit and one that isn't. Getting a big hit AND BEING SATISFIED is the ultimate test. I challenge everyone to experiment.

Sorry, I'm just curious, if you have other vapes? I did get some good flavor out of my original blue TI Hopper so I'm hopeful about my eventual IO of the same, but there are many other vapes I have that do much better milking those sweet flavors from my favorite fruity strains... Tough thing to compare though, I do really like glass stem based pure convection and there's a wide variety of heaters with all the different ones I have, meanwhile the first hits of pure conduction without any crap materials and with full power, can be so mouth-watering as well!

JBone65

I've owned four vape devices over the past 12 years. The second one was the EZ VAPE, can't remember the name of the first one, it wasn't very good. Only two were portable, the GH (x3 units) and a Davinci IQ. It's hard to compare a desktop unit with a portable. I like the GH better than any other I have owned. The Davinci IQ was a pain in the butt to operate. It held a larger quantity and I never got a truly satisfying hit. I'm thinking I've gotten the very best flavor from the GH IO.

My technique is probably different from everyone else. I mentioned that I start at the lowest temp setting because, even at that temp, it's overloaded with flavor, although not as much vapor. I find the first hit extremely satisfying even without much vapor. The third thru fifth hit will have a balance of flavor and vapor. The flavor is mostly gone by the 8th or 9th hit, but I still get a strong vaporous hit and buzz. I'm thinking the best way to prolong the flavor might be to stay in the lower half of the temperature range, but that would delay getting all of the rest of the thc.

I read where some enjoy a 70% load, and they intentionally get less hits. I didn't have much luck with partial loads, possibly due to void space. I'm guessing the hot air will pass over a pile laying on the low side and extract less thc. It would be nice if you could load only one hit at a time but I doubt it would work correctly. The GH doesn't hold much herb and it stands to reason you can get more hits and richer hits if fully loaded.

I'm throwing out these opinions in hopes of getting some feedback. Not trying to force my views on anyone. I'll shut up now and listen.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've owned four vape devices over the past 12 years. The second one was the EZ VAPE, can't remember the name of the first one, it wasn't very good. Only two were portable, the GH (x3 units) and a Davinci IQ. It's hard to compare a desktop unit with a portable. I like the GH better than any other I have owned. The Davinci IQ was a pain in the butt to operate. It held a larger quantity and I never got a truly satisfying hit. I'm thinking I've gotten the very best flavor from the GH IO.

My technique is probably different from everyone else. I mentioned that I start at the lowest temp setting because, even at that temp, it's overloaded with flavor, although not as much vapor. I find the first hit extremely satisfying even without much vapor. The third thru fifth hit will have a balance of flavor and vapor. The flavor is mostly gone by the 8th or 9th hit, but I still get a strong vaporous hit and buzz. I'm thinking the best way to prolong the flavor might be to stay in the lower half of the temperature range, but that would delay getting all of the rest of the thc.

I read where some enjoy a 70% load, and they intentionally get less hits. I didn't have much luck with partial loads, possibly due to void space. I'm guessing the hot air will pass over a pile laying on the low side and extract less thc. It would be nice if you could load only one hit at a time but I doubt it would work correctly. The GH doesn't hold much herb and it stands to reason you can get more hits and richer hits if fully loaded.

I'm throwing out these opinions in hopes of getting some feedback. Not trying to force my views on anyone. I'll shut up now and listen.

Haha all good, thank you, that tracks, since you have not tried many of the pure convection vapes that I have (so GH is that first experience for you), most of them are portables actually, and can keep up with some desktops or outpace them even! Fortunately my OG GH is now a desktop with the Max Vapor PA and can compete with a log... Yeah Hopper IO and DaVinci IQ2 are a nice n sleek portable pair, though I prefer the performance of Tinymight and Firewood7 (my current fave top tier portables)

ondemander

Just got a FW7, Solo 2 and Hopper IO for 420 but the Hopper is the one that has impressed me the most overall. The taste, the bowl size, the power, the stealth form factor, and the price is all enticing. Ordered 2 more batteries from HL and will work this into my on demand rotation.

slozukimc

My batteries are out for delivery today. No confirmation on the purple IO I ordered weeks before and was told they are shipping now. @Hopper Labs wtf John? If they aren’t shipping now then why say they are?

edit: so far I charged four batteries. All were at 4.07 and charged up fine. I put one in the IO and I can tell an improvement in vapor production right away. I was getting three bowls before flashy lights even with quite recent cells. I am at 4 bowls so far on the first GHB3.

Last edited:

collegeKid101

Super late to the thread but are the color Ti’s delayed more in shipping? Should I go for the SS or regular Ti instead? Was eyeing the purple Ti, especially with the discount

collegeKid101,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
My batteries are out for delivery today. No confirmation on the purple IO I ordered weeks before and was told they are shipping now. @Hopper Labs wtf John? If they aren’t shipping now then why say they are?

edit: so far I charged four batteries. All were at 4.07 and charged up fine. I put one in the IO and I can tell an improvement in vapor production right away. I was getting three bowls before flashy lights even with quite recent cells. I am at 4 bowls so far on the first GHB3.
I gave you a sad face and then you provided the edit which required a thumbs up, so one up and one down. Sorry you and others who ordered the colored units are confounded and waiting on HL again. Not necessarily the reason I never bought a colored unit and instead went with TI with my IO and OG (one each).

I agree the battery management with the IO is better. With new batts the IO runs well. Mine does. I had a weird day the other week where I swore the battery my would run forever but it was at least 5 loads and then conked out. And the clouds - my unit produces really nice clouds natively. And my IO doesn’t get that hot either though I don’t run it above 3.5 (and start in the 2s). :peace:

Last edited:

JBone65

I must be using the charger on my IO way too often. Still charging frequently as if nothing has changed. Will give it a rest.

I wasn't smart enough to find this website until recently. It's nice to be able to pickup tips from people with similar specialized tastes.

I wish everyone could own an IO and figure out how to absolutely saturate themselves with high quality thc......in a way that doesn't cause harm of course. 👿

Bookasta

Super late to the thread but are the color Ti’s delayed more in shipping? Should I go for the SS or regular Ti instead? Was eyeing the purple Ti, especially with the discount
@collegeKid101, I ordered a purple Ti on 4-18 because the item’s webpage had an Estimated Ship Time that was technically in the past at the time (I believe it said March 2021.) I contacted Hopper Labs on Tuesday when my order hadn’t shipped, and they responded today saying that they’d be shipping in May.

I requested a refund (which was promptly given,) but I did also note that I wouldn’t have placed my order if the Estimated Ship Time on the webpage had been accurate.

I’m disappointed, but not surprised, given that I had a color Ti years ago that died almost immediately upon arrival and then again after returning from a warranty claim. Gave up on it after that.

I hate to say it because I don’t like saying things like this, but to have represented at least some of the units as being available when they wouldn’t ship until the following month feels dishonest to me. It really does. I don’t believe for a moment that it was an oversight. I might have were it not for my experience with my previous unit and years of fumbles from Hopper Labs, but at some point, all the oversights and warranty claims and missed deadlines become a pattern of behavior, and we passed that point several years ago.

I was willing to give them another chance, despite my misgivings, but I don’t believe I’ll be doing that again.

Vaporific

@collegeKid101, I ordered a purple Ti on 4-18 because the item’s webpage had an Estimated Ship Time that was technically in the past at the time (I believe it said March 2021.) I contacted Hopper Labs on Tuesday when my order hadn’t shipped, and they responded today saying that they’d be shipping in May.

I requested a refund (which was promptly given,) but I did also note that I wouldn’t have placed my order if the Estimated Ship Time on the webpage had been accurate.

I’m disappointed, but not surprised, given that I had a color Ti years ago that died almost immediately upon arrival and then again after returning from a warranty claim. Gave up on it after that.

I hate to say it because I don’t like saying things like this, but to have represented at least some of the units as being available when they wouldn’t ship until the following month feels dishonest to me. It really does. I don’t believe for a moment that it was an oversight. I might have were it not for my experience with my previous unit and years of fumbles from Hopper Labs, but at some point, all the oversights and warranty claims and missed deadlines become a pattern of behavior, and we passed that point several years ago.

I was willing to give them another chance, despite my misgivings, but I don’t believe I’ll be doing that again.
It’s been said herein many times, myself included a few, if a Hopper will be your first or only vape don’t do it. Sad but true. If you’re risk tolerant and forgiving it’s more palatable a purchase. When one works well, the Hopper is amazing, unique and works well. “Fumbles” is a great adjective and yes, HL has committed many errors in the scoring column. Perhaps too many will come back to bite them. We’ll see. :peace:

Bookasta

@Vaporific, I could not agree more, and I knew I was forgetting a critical piece there at the end!

I meant to end by saying that I had/have several other vapes, and literally every single one has been more reliable than my Grasshopper was.

All these other companies have managed to turn out (for the most part) reliable units in quantity, many of the ones I’ve personally owned were rock solid until I did something stupid to them.

That Hopper Labs can’t do the same means something. I don’t want to be unkind, I’m quite sympathetic to the difficulties manufacturing such a unit at scale must entail, but it isn’t only that. Not with this many data points in this many different circumstances over this many years.

JBone65

I was wondering how HL has survived this long. I love my IO, and it looks like they've solved the most severe reliability issues. I assume they needed to include the lifetime warranty to break into a dodgy market back whenever but what percentage of today's new-unit income is used to service old units? Is it similar to a Ponzi scheme? Any way to find out how many units are sold monthly? I wonder if they will eventually offer a warranty for additional money like with a cell phone. Will we be grandfathered?

west-elec

Any other company you might say, 'May, that's Tuesday best case- 4 weeks worst case', but from HL that just sounds like just another pushed back date they will push back again after the fact. If you don't ask they just take your money and then not deliver, for as long as it takes- no reliable updates likely.
I was wondering how HL has survived this long. I love my IO, and it looks like they've solved the most severe reliability issues. I assume they needed to include the lifetime warranty to break into a dodgy market back whenever but what percentage of today's new-unit income is used to service old units? Is it similar to a Ponzi scheme? Any way to find out how many units are sold monthly? I wonder if they will eventually offer a warranty for additional money like with a cell phone. Will we be grandfathered?
They could always release the 'new' Hopper io 2, or plus or nqio (not quite instant on). Then they will say they are unable to take any io for repair due to covid, or current suitable excuse. But they will kindly offer an upgrade at slightly reduced price. But by then all our goodwill is long gone so how many new suckers can they find to prop up the next stage of the Ponzi scheme?

MoltenTiger

When you queue for a roller coaster, it's not an enjoyable experience until you get to the end of the line. And that's only if you're after something specific. Many want the experience, nothing else offers it, so people queue and are never happy about it.

A few hundred bucks for an item that doesn't have a marketing presence, everyone has got exactly what they paid for, some got sick and felt awful, some went on repeat rides laughing the whole time. Everyone will be talking about it once they've tried it for themselves. It's a good time if you want it to be in this world.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
When you queue for a roller coaster, it's not an enjoyable experience until you get to the end of the line. And that's only if you're after something specific. Many want the experience, nothing else offers it, so people queue and are never happy about it.

A few hundred bucks for an item that doesn't have a marketing presence, everyone has got exactly what they paid for, some got sick and felt awful, some went on repeat rides laughing the whole time. Everyone will be talking about it once they've tried it for themselves. It's a good time if you want it to be in this world.
I happen to agree with you, and like the analogy.
Nonetheless, it's a wild ride on this coaster and you never know when it's going to break down right in the middle of the ride...
Man, I hate it when that happens.

This is the Dragon Coaster at Playland in Rye, NY. It is a 1929 wooden structure, now on the National Register of Historic Places. The dragon is a tunnel mid-way thru the ride, you go in the mouth and out the tail.
I won't go on any coaster or other ride that turns you upside down.
Sounds dated, but this coaster is a helluva thrill!
...and we know when to go so the cue is almost non-existent.
(This one has the extra creds of someone having died on it!)
1619780690458.png

Vaporific

I love my IO, and it looks like they've solved the most severe reliability issues.
I love my IO too yet knew it was a risk after dealing with HL for years prior with my OG (and year-long RMA). I agree that many reliability issues were addressed yet many reports herein indicate quality control is still lacking. Marketing and customer service are still not there yet either. And they still have problems hitting milestones, e.g. color units and the mini fiasco this is becoming. Let’s not forget their factory fire too in late ‘19 that set them - and many customers - back too. Great vape when it works and works well but HL still has a long ways to go. Not sure how they’re surviving and any sales volumes (units & revenue) are largely speculative. I rolled the dice with the IO and glad I made the decision though I could’ve been happy with my repaired OG (still works but doesn’t get much use because I like the IO a lot, natively of course :) ). TGIF to all. :peace:

collegeKid101

It’s been said herein many times, myself included a few, if a Hopper will be your first or only vape don’t do it. Sad but true. If you’re risk tolerant and forgiving it’s more palatable a purchase. When one works well, the Hopper is amazing, unique and works well. “Fumbles” is a great adjective and yes, HL has committed many errors in the scoring column. Perhaps too many will come back to bite them. We’ll see. :peace:
oh definitely. Ive been following HL since the start, but never pulled the trigger. I have a Pax 2, dynavap M, FF2+, and a mighty. I just figured since I’ve been checking them out for 3-5 years now I might as well see what the hype is about, since I can handle the risk financially now/have a great lineup of backups

JBone65

I can't find any info concerning HLs financial health. It's a private LLC, under new management since 2019, just after the 2018 delivery problems. It might not be the best product available but (IMO) it's still amazing in terms of hit quality, stealthiness, simplicity, ease of operation, overall efficiency, etc. The potential market size must be enormous, the owners are probably looking to generate billions in future revenue. They also supposedly have a lot of patents that might or might not hold up in court. The fact that HL has survived very serious growing pains and greatly improved the product should be a good sign. I also read where they rely on a bunch of individual Hi-Tech manufacturers for individual parts. Sounds like they assemble and ship already queued orders, I guess maintaining an inventory would be costly, so it doesn't bother me that they take their time shipping. Waiting an extra few weeks for something that can last years, save me money and make me happy is no big deal. I suspect the biggest technical problems are behind them. I would buy a few share if it were available. Let's see if it still works.......👍

collegeKid101

You're all set, but you must also consider the emotional risk! :\

Given the ones you've used (and not to diminish them), you're going to love this device.
I’m really excited and hoping I’m one of the lucky ones who receives a working device (arent we all lol). But yeah, very excited to see how it stacks up against my quiver, especially the mighty and the FF2+. Excited to see everyone’s (hopefully good) reactions when they do ship. I’m a dreamer that is foolishly banking on them keeping to their may timeframe. Went with a purple Ti and emailed to ask if they are on track for delivery.

The response: “The device will ship in May” lol

Vaporific

I would buy a few share if it were available.
Are you implying publicly traded stock? No way for me. Not this poorly run company. I’m already invested in cannabis ETFs too and I doubt HL would be invited to the party I’m in. Most don’t know their financial status and it’s all speculative. Then again so is the stock market but at least there are figures and facts required to be in the market. HL continues to operate as a black box. Many companies strive for a < 1% defect rate but I doubt HL can claim this. I’ll leave it at that.

As for my IO it will be my weekend companion and riding shotgun on a trip to NY. I keep a mag charger (first gen too!) in my car. Nothing quite like a Hopper that works well. Cheers. :peace:

Top Bottom