Discontinued Hopper io

ChooChooCharlie

He did get back to me last September, said his machinist still has it. At this point, I consider it a donation in furtherance of stoner tech. His AC adapter really is cool stoner tech, and he's a talented dude, but doesn't appear to be moving forward with the adapter project

zymos

They’ve been making these things for years now. Differences in performance between products using 2 different metals? OK- I’ll buy that, cause science. Obvious differences between 2 units that are constructed out of the same materials? No, that’s completely unacceptable. The only explanation for that is shitty QC or substandard manufacturing.
Stoners can put out quality products consistently, but these dudes still can’t seem to get it right.

zymos,
Reactions: Momor

Trace

If I'm gathering and understanding the info from this thread correctly, if I'm to consider anything from this company at all, it should be the SS then?

It also seems that the Ti models can't be trusted from a performance standpoint and I shouldn't even bother about a colored one at this point in time from what I've been reading.

SS io seems to have the least amount of issues and just simply works from what I'm gathering here. Am I correct?

I'm also wondering if this device would even be a good pair for me personally. I smoke a lot of joints, over 2 grams in a joint and multiple a day since we've been in quarantine. To those who own this, do you think it's a sturdy enough investment for consistent everyday use?

tryingtowin

If I'm gathering and understanding the info from this thread correctly, if I'm to consider anything from this company at all, it should be the SS then?

It also seems that the Ti models can't be trusted from a performance standpoint and I shouldn't even bother about a colored one at this point in time from what I've been reading.

SS io seems to have the least amount of issues and just simply works from what I'm gathering here. Am I correct?

I'm also wondering if this device would even be a good pair for me personally. I smoke a lot of joints, over 2 grams in a joint and multiple a day since we've been in quarantine. To those who own this, do you think it's a sturdy enough investment for consistent everyday use?
I think the TI works fine from what others have said. There may be some merit due to the material and the heat dissipation rate, hence the extra 5watt heater tweak vs the SS IO.

I have the SS IO model and the only problem I had was the turn dial got stuck and replaced asap. Other than that been using the IO daily 4-6 bowls...Have had mine since June...It's a work horse. I've run through maybe 4-5oz by now. FLAWLESS especially with a water pipe.

Anyhoo I'd get the SS just for the body feel and thermal properties.

On an unrelated note..does anyone know if shatter will vape in the hopper?

Anyone actually try it and what method? So it doesnt leak or drip?

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I think ss and ti should be considered equals in reliability, and all the physical differences that might go to ti being 'better' are each marginal. My decision went to 2 ss rather than ti's, after having multiples of each in og variety. I personally like the 'heft' of the ss, and it's less expensive. 5 watts more or less is not a deal breaker, because these things can all hit very heavy when dialed in (assuming proper working order and good battery).

IO does seem to be building a good track record for dependability, but has a long way to go toward rebuilding customer confidence, so a lot of us are reluctant to give full blessing and recommendations to new users. My two, July and Nov, are doing fine.

Hopper can and will keep up with all day, every day heavy-hitting use; keeping it charged (having enough batteries, etc) will be a regular chore, since battery capacity is small.

BUT, my feeling is still that this should not be one's only vape; be prepared with a backup, for those times hopper may be down. Lately, this may only mean a week or two, rather than the year or two it was for a while there.
Another consideration is your location; if you are outside US/Canada, it can be very pricey to send a unit back for warranty repair.
On an unrelated note..does anyone know if shatter will vape in the hopper?

Anyone actually try it and what method? So it doesnt leak or drip?
Definitely don't want things gumming up the works, but it can be done. I've used wax, either well embedded in flower or, better, wrapped in cotton (a piece of 100% cotton ball) or maybe hemp fiber if you can get.

But because (ime) hoppers can develop restricted draw over long time, I avoid concentrates.
There are much better devices, dedicated to concentrates, or multi-use, but Hopper is a dry herb vape.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Definitely don't want things gumming up the works, but it can be done.
If you do hold the Hopper downward tip facing the floor. I’ve never tried shatter/wax in my Hoppers and would only do so holding it tip down. :2c:

4+ months with my IO and it still works well, nary an issue. Great vapor between 2.5-3.5 natively. Operation and consistency is great. So far so good. :peace:

zatonic

Hey guys, first post. I received my new years hopper IO titanium and have been using it for about a week. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Very nice for terpy stealthy low temp draws with little visual vapor on level 3 at work. I'm not getting thick vapor on any setting. Level 5 will result in a lot of light vapor using a bubbler and letting it go the full 20 seconds where it will turn itself off. I usually wont start seeing vapor in the bubbler until about half a lung full. I do not have the PFE yet although I have it ordered. But I'm definitely not getting vapor close to some of the review videos or demo videos from Hopper Labs. I live in FL and it's been very dry high 50's low 60's and from my experience in the past, warmer more humid weather produced the best visual clouds with my dynavap. It could also be the strains. I've noticed more visual with my current sativa than the indica. It has been working consistently well though everyday. I'll have to report back with how well the titanium PFE works.

Oh and when I received mine, I noticed this blob on the heater screen so I took a macro shot. It looks like solder. Does anyone else have this? Wondering if I should report to Hopper Labs about it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Oh and when I received mine, I noticed this blob on the heater screen so I took a macro shot. It looks like solder. Does anyone else have this? Wondering if I should report to Hopper Labs about it.
I agree with @scion34, the screen is missing. If you had one, you could slide it in there; it's just a friction-fit.
That's not to say it will solve you heat issues, but it's one place to start.

I'd be inclined to return the device because, at these prices, you should have a complete and fully functioning Hopper out of the box.
Or, maybe they can send you a replacement body so you are not down for too long...
support@thehopper.io

zatonic

I emailed yesterday and they replied late last night. They're sending me a replacement body and asked to send the defective one back to their returns department. The way it reads, I should be receiving the replacement before I have to send mine back. 🤞

horst

horsed
Waiting for my colored IO since Feb 20 and didn't hear a thing from them besides the usual newsletters.

So at the end of the year they discounted the Ti and I took the chance to email them and asked for a change to plain Ti, maybe with an extra battery or two to compensate the discount.

Never got a response so now I'll try to cancel the order and get a refund. Hope they got the guts to fulfill my wish.

Very sad about all this, what an awful experience.

zymos

I was waiting and waiting for my colored Ti, and finally wrote them asking for a plain one instead. The replied within a day and sent it to me right away.

zymos,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Waiting for my colored IO since Feb 20 and didn't hear a thing from them besides the usual newsletters.

So at the end of the year they discounted the Ti and I took the chance to email them and asked for a change to plain Ti, maybe with an extra battery or two to compensate the discount.

Never got a response so now I'll try to cancel the order and get a refund. Hope they got the guts to fulfill my wish.

Very sad about all this, what an awful experience.
Very unfortunate, but you might give it one last shot, emailing support, that is.
I had a situation last year where they didn't respond to my inquiry during a sale. I re-sent (fwd'd) the inquiry and they did honor the lower price after the sale was over.

shadymilkman

I got an IO yesterday after it decided to go to the left coast before coming back east.. and the backend exploded.. literally twist to turn the heatup and it sprang apart.

gJLYuGu.jpg

kind of outrageous, barely 24 hours.

ChooChooCharlie

Ouch, that sucks, @shadymilkman , rma for sure

Owned a bunch-o-hoppers, as readers here know, never had problem like these

expecting two io deliveries this weekend, will be sending them to Vito. I was hoping these io units would be perfect for pain, instant on with no negative smoke. But, what do I know, I use them continuously, hang over or not

Last edited:

nonbeliever

I love and hate these guys....

I got my SS OG back after an extended hiatus in the drawer, and then finally, the call to RMA! I sent it in, it came back, and it’s made me remember why I love this vape. Then, I got the call for the TI OG RMA. I send it in, it is repaired, and, so as not to get me too excited, it is returned, and poof. Doesn’t work. Oh well. At least they are keeping somewhat to form LOL.

I know there has been a little bit of discussion around SS vs TI reliability. Comparatively, my TI has had probably 3 times as many RMAs as my SS. we’ll see when I hear back again.

Last edited:
nonbeliever,

zymos

Fuck, I can’t even fill out the form for an RMA! I’m logged in, my hopper is registered with serial number, but when I get to the required field for serial number, it just says none are found (and you can’t enter it directly).
Just one more annoyance along the way. I wrote to them for help but no reply. I’m going to try the form on a different browser when I get a chance...

zymos,
Reactions: jabba

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Fuck, I can’t even fill out the form for an RMA! I’m logged in, my hopper is registered with serial number, but when I get to the required field for serial number, it just says none are found (and you can’t enter it directly).
Just one more annoyance along the way. I wrote to them for help but no reply. I’m going to try the form on a different browser when I get a chance...
That stinks. I haven’t even registered my IO and it’s been 4+ months likely for this reason. When they first rolled out the IO the registration process wasn’t polished or finalized from what I recall unlike the OGs years ago. They really need to dot the i’s and cross the t’s operationally - they still don’t get it. TGIF to all. :peace:

jabba

Well bad news with my new Titanium io. I'd been loving my SS io for a bit now and decided to also upgrade my Ti OG to a Ti io. Comparatively this newest titanium io offers extremely low heat. I generally estimate that my SS set to level 2 is similar to the Ti at level 5. On the Ti my levels 1, 2, and 3 are basically useless for anything other than heating the chamber lightly. The difference is night and day between my two io units and I reckon that this has nothing to do with simply SS vs Titanium. It is almost as if the 'thermostat' settings between these two units are set VERY differently.

Had I not previously had experience(s) with now 4 different Hopper units (3 of which work(ed) marvelously)....Upon first trial of this newest unit I would be generally disappointed with the Hopper and wonder why other users hail the device. Thankfully I have a really great SS unit to use in the meantime.

I have filed an RMA....well.....sort of. Once again....the hopper box that I received has no "identification number" on the bottom as suggested/required to register the device. So I placed an RMA for my SS device serial number and clearly stated that this is for a NEW just received titanium io and NOT for the serial number provided. I must admit...it is frustrating that HL requires an ID# (and a serial number) to register the device but doesn't provide the ID# which is required for you to register the device! If this was done unintentionally....they have had PLENTY of time and certainly countless customer interactions to correct this obvious ongoing error.

I'm hoping for a quick/easy RMA but we shall see. Luckily I'm $8 postage away from Hopper Headquarters. I don't plan to allow this to sour my relationship with Hopper....and I really am hopeful that HL seamlessly corrects this for me so that I can maintain my high opinion(s) of their product. I'll gladly keep the forum updated on my customer service experience.

zymos

Jabba, your Ti experience sounds like mine- anything under 4 is useless.

RE:RMA
1) serial number is on the top of the hopper itself
2) HL got back to me about my problem filling out the form, asked for a screenshot, and of course when I went to take one, the form worked correctly.

Is it really possible that just the 2 different metals can cause such a huge difference in performance? Sure they have different properties, but I wonder if it’s more down to different production runs (or settings/calibration as suggested above)

zymos,

jabba

Jabba, your Ti experience sounds like mine- anything under 4 is useless.

RE:RMA
1) serial number is on the top of the hopper itself
2) HL got back to me about my problem filling out the form, asked for a screenshot, and of course when I went to take one, the form worked correctly.

Is it really possible that just the 2 different metals can cause such a huge difference in performance? Sure they have different properties, but I wonder if it’s more down to different production runs (or settings/calibration as suggested above)
Yup. The serial number is easy...located atop the back end. In order to register on the website you need to enter the serial number AND the "Identification number printed on the back of the box". I know from my prior io purchase that there is no identification number on the back of the box....and with this titanium unit there is also no ID# on the back of the box. Thus it is entirely impossible to register your device online without assistance from customer support. Dumb....and ongoing...so double dumb.

Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I find it HIGHLY unlikely that this is merely the difference between Ti and SS.....no way no way no way. My two units are tuned entirely differently. I WILL ADMIT shamefully that I suspected that some users with complaints may have been nit-picking differences between multiple units. After this/my experience any such assumptions are gone. My Ti unit operates generally as it should minus about 90% of its functionality given that I can only get light vapor at its highest setting. Even at 5....it is really painstaking to extract vapor resulting in truly used ABV. This ain't right.

Again...this is my 4th Hopper. They aren't all functionally 'identical'....but they have been historically similar in terms of their function. This latest Ti unit is just a dud in terms of its primary function.....the production of heat. It is easy to project solutions based upon our narrow experiences. I don't claim to be an engineer or to know how the hell Hopper got the io to perform like such a beast (when working properly). It seems from my experience....given that this titanium unit functions albeit at a very low level.....that there is some type of mechanical or software 'thermostat' that is not being set within an acceptable range of tolerance. But I digress....as I am merely a mortal hop-head....all I know is that it doesn't work right....not even close.

Last edited:
jabba,
Reactions: zymos

zymos

Ahh, sorry to misunderstand about the different numbers. Indeed, HL registered mine for me.

zymos,
Reactions: jabba

tryingtowin

Top Bottom