• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Had a short but good sesh last night with my 4 week old II, using it natively with the standard frontend (my preferred method). I was able to turn up the temp a bit and adjusted the mouth technique too somewhat. It’s nice to have a supercharged Hopper that performs consistently. I’ve been flirting running it 3.4 (I know it’s lower than many but that’s about my limit natively). Having relatively new batts helps too. I wish HL had a presence on here like they did in the past but whatever. Cheers. :peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: JCat

someTooL

I reached out to HL on my intermittent shut offs and had a response within 2 business days :tup:Possibly could have been my inhale speed (too slow). I’ll continue monitor and medicate. I did try two bowls last night with no issues while making sure my inhale speed was sufficient.

I’ve been mastering another new vape with a very slow inhale, so my technique may have crossed over causing my issue. We’ll see, but kinda makes sense to me.

mephisto

Only way I can use my IO is pressing the button and holding it in while hitting. A full click causes the lights to flash and shut down. Still not impressed with the lower temp operation. All of my functional hoppers would fully extract an oven. I only use 5 setting and there is still love left in every oven.

Coombs

I can confirm that the hydrotube makes hits sooo much nicer. Practically cool in the mouth now. Wasn’t able to get the same level of clouds as natively though, but it was only one bowl. Have some practicing to do tonight!

slozukimc

I reached out to HL on my intermittent shut offs and had a response within 2 business days :tup:Possibly could have been my inhale speed (too slow). I’ll continue monitor and medicate. I did try two bowls last night with no issues while making sure my inhale speed was sufficient.

I’ve been mastering another new vape with a very slow inhale, so my technique may have crossed over causing my issue. We’ll see, but kinda makes sense to me.
The IO likes to be ripped hard and fast. Hitting the IO slow and easy is like trying to drive a top fuel dragster to church.

Vaporific

The IO likes to be ripped hard and fast. Hitting the IO slow and easy is like trying to drive a top fuel dragster to church.
This is a great analogy for the IO that I’ve been trying to get across - at least with the temp signatures and the different temp range than OG Hopper. I can’t rule out buying a hydrotube for cooling. I almost burned myself using a small glass spoon for cooling - the bottom was wicked hot using the IO with a silicone tip. The IO’s frontend was very hot too. The rest of the unit was relatively cool to touch, which I think is the battery handling improvement stated by HL. I think they got that down well including when a battery is almost drained; that’s when my OG Hopper tends to get hot, not so much with the IO (so far). :peace:

Coombs

Calling all glass users. Please help!

Did any of you fine folks who are using this with glass have problems with flow or know what I could be doing wrong? I’ve now tried both a hydrotube and beaker style straight bong and I produce very minimal vapor, the material is not nearly as brown and the effects are mild compared to when I hit native.

I can feel the flow is way more restricted when I slot the hopper in on either piece and is a little better if I hold the hopper slightly out instead of snuggly inserting. Could I have a defective PFE (tapered too much)? Is there only certain bongs that really work well with this to get proper flow? Any ideas are appreciated. I just want to rip my hopper like I did when I got it but my throat/lungs are just way too irritated for native use.

Coombs,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Calling all glass users. Please help!

Did any of you fine folks who are using this with glass have problems with flow or know what I could be doing wrong? I’ve now tried both a hydrotube and beaker style straight bong and I produce very minimal vapor, the material is not nearly as brown and the effects are mild compared to when I hit native.

I can feel the flow is way more restricted when I slot the hopper in on either piece and is a little better if I hold the hopper slightly out instead of snuggly inserting. Could I have a defective PFE (tapered too much)? Is there only certain bongs that really work well with this to get proper flow? Any ideas are appreciated. I just want to rip my hopper like I did when I got it but my throat/lungs are just way too irritated for native use.
Draw freeing up when you slightly withdraw the hopper simply seems to indicate that you are getting a good fit, a good seal, when hopper is in all the way...

Dirty/clogged screen in PFE? It can get dirtier faster with inverted use.

Maybe packing bowl too tight?

Too much water in the bong? I think there's always some added resistence from water piece, but it shouldn't be that bad. Are you trying just the minimum amount of water the piece requires to just get some bubbles going when you draw?

Coombs

Draw freeing up when you slightly withdraw the hopper simply seems to indicate that you are getting a good fit, a good seal, when hopper is in all the way...

Dirty/clogged screen in PFE? It can get dirtier faster with inverted use.

Maybe packing bowl too tight?

Too much water in the bong? I think there's always some added resistence from water piece, but it shouldn't be that bad. Are you trying just the minimum amount of water the piece requires to just get some bubbles going when you draw?
Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is, the only time I got a really big hit was when I did an entire pull with the hopper slightly removed and the draw freed up. It is why I wondered if I was making too much of a seal ( sounds crazy as I type it....)

with the hydrotube it self levels the water so I just stuck with that. The bong is not minimum water. I could take some out for sure.

I am wondering if it’s a tight pack. I had no issues with it native, but perhaps my direct inhaling could overcome. I just spin the hopper in my grinder a few times until it’s full and knock off the top. Maybe all those fill ups are too much...

Coombs,
pro tips for hopping with glass:
skip the water
draw slow until you see vapor form, then rip to yr hearts content or until you expend the bowl's contents (whichever comes first)
clean mouthpiece or pfe with iso at the first sign of increased draw resistance (applies to native use also)

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Don't mind me, I'm just spewing some Hopper love. Hope it doesn't leave a mess

All of my ti io's are still doing well, and I don't detect any variation between them. But, yes, I also get the occasional "click on, no go, try again" anomaly

The Hopper is so effortless to get fast, repeatable results

I've owned a few other on-demand convection based vapes, and you need to put in effort. A dance-like routine of button press/release, inhale speed control, correct herb pack, correct heat level, some variation of a removeable glass "stem" instead of a proper bowl, and of course stirring -- stirring is the vape's way of telling you, "sorry, my designers couldn't figure out the air flow and chamber geometry design to get even cooking, but we gave you a free stirring tool." Hey, I get it, many people like to dance. Some claim it's a ritual to be embraced, enhancing the experience. Oh, almost forgot the sense of mastery, pride in your learned technique, the skillful control of variables

But I'm old and lazy, and like the simple hopper two-step: click and inhale

And, the new io white lights look so pretty at night
io-night-lights.jpg

Could not focus phone, or was it the booze?

ChooChooCharlie

@Coombs - it's a TiChillum from 420EDC. Standard Hopper front end with its silicone guard friction fit into TiChillum. No burny finger ouches when unscrewing, by holding silicone. Very pricey item, though. Worth it to me, love shape of mouthpiece and cooling. Glass creeps me out with my tremors

By the way, I like to use Delta3DStudios stand and funnel rather than the grinder dive in load technique. Neat, no mess, if you're a home based user

slozukimc

Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is, the only time I got a really big hit was when I did an entire pull with the hopper slightly removed and the draw freed up. It is why I wondered if I was making too much of a seal ( sounds crazy as I type it....)

with the hydrotube it self levels the water so I just stuck with that. The bong is not minimum water. I could take some out for sure.

I am wondering if it’s a tight pack. I had no issues with it native, but perhaps my direct inhaling could overcome. I just spin the hopper in my grinder a few times until it’s full and knock off the top. Maybe all those fill ups are too much...
Try just putting a pinch of herb in the Hopper. Like just enough for a one hitter bong rip. Air flow is important for a good roast. I use mine with a MFLB Orbiter and it makes enormous hits.
pro tips for hopping with glass:
skip the water
draw slow until you see vapor form, then rip to yr hearts content or until you expend the bowl's contents (whichever comes first)
clean mouthpiece or pfe with iso at the first sign of increased draw resistance (applies to native use also)
This. I have several PFE’s I keep in rotation so I always have a clean screen. As soon as the air flow feels slightly restricted it goes in ISO and a new one goes on. Hopper care is so easy.

Coombs

It was a gooood night! Back to ripping hopper bowls!! Herb was fully extracted now and effects great! Zero issues of equal extraction and I’m back to packing the bowl full with the in grinder twist method.

I’m officially back to the this is replacing all of my other vapes, assuming it stays reliable of course. The amount of material you need to get super medicated is really impressive. The consistency last night is what I only dreamed of with the ghost and get with the plenty, but with drawbacks I’m sure I don’t need to list.

Hoey420

Hi all,

First post on this thread for me if my memory is correct :)
Good to see old and new hopperheads here.

Bought my first desktop vaporizer bcos of curiosity, it might be the best desktop for lots of folks but me as user who needs stealth so the volcano hybrid is just a backup vaporizer for me and hidden in my man cave.
The abv from the volcano hybrid is not fully extracted at 420 degree Fahrenheit , i can blow big cloud when loaded the abv in my hopper it's a 2019 made hopper set at temp 4+ (don't tell anyone this) i even cut the whip to 50mm to get similar throat hit as the hopper :lol:
My first vaporizer was a no2 vapir that my wife threw away the whip for it so my throat kind of graduated from the vapir no2 with no whip the hot and harsh from the hopper is nothing compares the no2 vapir without yhe silicon whip.

Well, i think i need a hopper io for back up :)

Too lazy to read the whole threat to see if any problems with the io so tell me folks, should i?

I own 4 hoppers plus others but no hopper io yet.

Hoey

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi all,

Bought my first desktop vaporizer bcos of curiosity, it might be the best desktop for lots of folks but me as user who needs stealth so the volcano hybrid is just a backup vaporizer for me and hidden in my man cave.
The abv from the volcano hybrid is not fully extracted at 420 degree Fahrenheit , i can blow big cloud when loaded the abv in my hopper it's a 2019 made hopper set at temp 4+ (don't tell anyone this) i even cut the whip to 50mm to get similar throat hit as the hopper :lol:
My first vaporizer was a no2 vapir that my wife threw away the whip for it so my throat kind of graduated from the vapir no2 with no whip the hot and harsh from the hopper is nothing compares the no2 vapir without yhe silicon whip.

Too lazy to read the whole threat to see if any problems with the io so tell me folks, should i?

Hoey
Howdy,

From the looks of things, there are many more good news stories than bad with the io -- so far. The 'small' upgrades are noticeable and all good.
Maybe, as Yoko Ono sang years ago, "Hard times are over, over for a while."
Some issues with the clicker -- io either not turning on upon click, or not turning off as is my case, plus lites can come on while holding it between hits. Those things said, HL have been super with the service/replacement of initial io claims it seems, in practically all instances.

Like you, I have/had a bunch of og hoppers, and with the trade-in program I was able to turn 2 non-functional ss og's into $160 (2 x 80) discount towards an io, which I thought quite reasonable, on balance.

MoltenTiger

Hi all,

Hoey
With 4 (working?) legacy hoppers, getting a new io is probably further from necessary than normal. Being that is never truly necessary, it really comes down to how easy it is to part with the money.

The benefits are increased airflow, instant readiness and an increase in power efficiency. Otherwise the io is pretty much exactly the same as the legacy.

There are enough changes to make them two different devices, but not enough is properly different to truly differentiate beyond the differences seen with any random legacy units. The io has a slightly different signature to the legacy, but functionally it is identical in nearly every way.

If it is not daunting to make the purchase, I think it is well worth it. This supports the brand, and thus helps secure the value from existing purchases.

If you have some pause over pulling the trigger, I would sit happy on your current devices and either wait for eventual warranty to trade them in, or perhaps attempt an RMA with the legacy..

If you have working units and feel like a trade in deal is enticing, I would consider selling the units privately, for either $80 USD to match HL yet keeping the devices in the community, or sell them for their true value which IMO is greater.

It doesn't seem like we have seen anywhere near the faults that were occurring with hoppers in 2016.
The history is largely public and the evolution is blatant.
Your 2019 legacy will have some of the internal io upgrades already, so just consider the dynamic at play here because the difference is likely to be very marginal.

Personally I have had to register my io and file a warranty case, I had the above mentioned issues with my back-end (very minor, can vary and be a real problem by the sound, but all I had was very occasional reclicking for power and a really hard to turn dial). I suspect I broke the back-end by super heating it when I connected it to an 18650 for power via the MaxVapor battery sled. I had some malfunction with either the back-end or battery sled, and this fused the clicker.
After I had filed my warranty case, which took a couple of days - I had to email to request service as I couldn't register the io without a code from the missing sticker on the box, then I had to replicate the email, more or less, to highlight the given information then asked for, then they replied after registering my io on my account and then I replicated again the email info into the portal, and got the matter resolved quickly. They have sent me a replacement back-end which arrived in Tas 20 days from filing (one day lead time once logged).

The raplacement has a smooth dial and seems to function as expected.

Overall, I like the io just as I loved my 4+ legacy hopper years. I have no regrets for the ride I've had.
The io is more mature and should make the ride smooth and not bumpy.

If you're already bounding along, happily vaping, just floor it and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Vaporific

The io has a slightly different signature to the legacy, but functionally it is identical in nearly every way.
This also includes a different temp range between the OG Hopper and IO, the latter I believe starts higher and goes higher but I don’t recall.
The io is more mature and should make the ride smooth and not bumpy.
Amen. I’ve had my IO four weeks and feels like four months - so far so good overall. Vapor is a bit hot natively and I’m finding ways to mitigate it. :peace:

Coombs

Well that was quick.... Not sure if my previous challenges with glass were due to a faulty unit not fully dead yet but my hoppers oven appears to be malfunctioning. The lights stay on when the button is pushed but besides an initial rush of heat the oven is not keeping temp. I can now puff natively on max heat indefinitely and get next to no vapor, hardly any hot air and a device only slightly warmed. This really sucks. The last two nights with the bong were amazing.

I’ve opened a case with hopper. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom