Discontinued Hopper io

Shogun.

「Stand User」
no using without glasses or water and with normal front end.

i have second io in SS which the ABV is also darker than an io in Titanium which i testet. it is not so very dark like my first one, but it is chocolate brown too
Awesome think I'm sold on my choice. Efficiency is weirdly the one aspect than makes or breaks a device for me.

Splinter, Stempod, imp, tinymight all didn't do it for me cause the middle would be fully extracted with green edges everytime and its such a PITA to stir a stem pack

slozukimc

Awesome think I'm sold on my choice. Efficiency is weirdly the one aspect than makes or breaks a device for me.

Splinter, Stempod, imp, tinymight all didn't do it for me cause the middle would be fully extracted with green edges everytime and its such a PITA to stir a stem pack
Agreed! That is why the Hopper is always my first choice. NO STIRRING!

ChooChooCharlie

Non-full charging has worked well over the years, BTW

Hopper-on-timer.jpg

fogbank

I had another battery experience similar to my previous one. I put one of my oldest batteries (at least a couple of years old) into my SS IO and charged it internally. The charger behavior was different from any I have seen before. Normally the LED flashes once, then ~10 seconds pass before it starts blinking steadily. It then blinks once steadily until it is fully charged, at which point it starts blinking twice steadily.

With the older battery in place the LED blinked once, stopped for ~10 seconds and then blinked *once* again. It repeated this about 3 times, with about ~10 seconds between, before it started blinking once steadily and eventually reaching a full charge.

I powered the unit on and it immediately went to flashing LEDs indicating low battery.

I pulled the battery out of the SS IO and put it in an OG Hopper. I charged it internally. I got 8-9 draws before it indicated low battery.

I put it back in the IO, charged it, and again it immediately went to low power mode when I powered the IO on.

To complicate matters, the draws that I got from the OG Hopper were not very strong. I have been using the same OG Hopper with the AC adapter and it produces tons of vapor at temp 3.5. With the battery it produced much weaker hits.

So 1) this battery resulted in different charging behavior in the IO and 2) this battery allowed 8-9 draws in the OG but they were relatively weak.

I look at the second point and I wonder how often performance problems in the OG Hopper were caused by weak batteries, even though the battery may allow multiple draws on a single charge with no indication of a weak battery other than weak hits.

Mr. Me2

I had another battery experience similar to my previous one. I put one of my oldest batteries (at least a couple of years old) into my SS IO and charged it internally. The charger behavior was different from any I have seen before. Normally the LED flashes once, then ~10 seconds pass before it starts blinking steadily. It then blinks once steadily until it is fully charged, at which point it starts blinking twice steadily.

With the older battery in place the LED blinked once, stopped for ~10 seconds and then blinked *once* again. It repeated this about 3 times, with about ~10 seconds between, before it started blinking once steadily and eventually reaching a full charge.

I powered the unit on and it immediately went to flashing LEDs indicating low battery.

I pulled the battery out of the SS IO and put it in an OG Hopper. I charged it internally. I got 8-9 draws before it indicated low battery.

I put it back in the IO, charged it, and again it immediately went to low power mode when I powered the IO on.

To complicate matters, the draws that I got from the OG Hopper were not very strong. I have been using the same OG Hopper with the AC adapter and it produces tons of vapor at temp 3.5. With the battery it produced much weaker hits.

So 1) this battery resulted in different charging behavior in the IO and 2) this battery allowed 8-9 draws in the OG but they were relatively weak.

I look at the second point and I wonder how often performance problems in the OG Hopper were caused by weak batteries, even though the battery may allow multiple draws on a single charge with no indication of a weak battery other than weak hits.
I wonder if the heaters in your 2 hoppers have different power needs and consumption. My guess is yes.... I’d expect that to be the same for all. Not sure you mentioned, is your og an older one or near its end of og production?

someTooL

Out of 6 batteries I started with (all supposedly the 3’s labeled as 2’s) I’ve only had one bad one. The battery would charge normally, both internally and with a battery charger. But would not turn on the IO. The bad battery came from a vendor stock so not sure how long it’d been around. I took advantage of the 30% off last week and got 4 more, these were all labeled as 3’s.
No I don’t have a battery problem, I got batteries no problem lol

david8613

I haven't been here in awhile, how is the new io doing? Did batteries ever get out to customer, I ordered last year never got them...

david8613,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

fogbank

I wonder if the heaters in your 2 hoppers have different power needs and consumption. My guess is yes.... I’d expect that to be the same for all. Not sure you mentioned, is your og an older one or near its end of og production?
Since one was an IO and one was an OG I would say that they would have different power needs and consumption, based on the difference in wattage of the heaters.

I purchased the Ti OG Hopper that I used in this case in 2019. It is supposed to have "v5" internals. I also purchased a SS model at the same time. When I started using both of these OG Hoppers I had to change my starting temp from 4 to 2.5. These two OG Hoppers produce as much, or more vapor at 2.5 than my older OG Hoppers do at 4.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Lurked around long enough, decided to join you.

20201027-054113.jpg
Welcome to the occupation, lol.

Used my IO mostly over last weekend and I’m getting used to it after modifying my draw technique a bit - enabling me to run it @ 3.5 natively. The medicinal effect is better. This was lacking early on running it at lower temps with my previous technique. I still think the IO runs a tad hot vapor-wise and the body remains cool. The frontend gets a bit warm but not much more so than my OG Hopper. Did I really need an IO? Probably not but it’s a nice addition and a vape I’ll regularly use (like I had with the OG Hopper that’s not getting too much attention with the IO around now). :peace:

ShadowLink12

Activist
Despite frequent issues that had my abandon all hope for the OG hopper a couple of years ago...I decided to give Hopper Labs another go and snag a SS IO. Loved my purple titatinum OG when it was working As I was downsizing my collection to just MFLB + one other vape, the IO just was too enticing of a prospect for my usage. When my OG hopper was working it was easily my go-to over all other vapes. Now that I only get to sneak in a couple of tokes a night, and no longer have the space for a lot of vape gear, it just made sense. Crossing my fingers they have their QC in order for the IO.

I have one of the newer style chargers that they now include with the IO, but I bought it back when they first changed the design. (Order in May 2017) Has anything about the design of the charger changed since then/would this charger be safe to use with my new IO? I frankly never used it much in the past because I had a fleet of batteries with an external charger, but as I will just be using for a few hits a day now, I don't plan on constantly battery swapping. Would be nice to be able to take one charger on the go and keep another setup with a charging stand.

One other small thing, I see they still have not done anything with the clip design to stop it from scratching the hopper body (man my OG purple titanium hopper was scratched to crap from constantly changing rapidly depleting/flashing blue light batteries). Anyone have some sort of covering they would recommend for the clip to stop it from scratching?

ShadowLink12,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Has anything about the design of the charger changed since then/would this charger be safe to use with my new IO?
I’m using the first generation Grasshopper charger with my IO in my car and it works fine. From what I understand the mag chargers are backward and forward compatible. The one I got with my IO works with the IO and with my OG Hopper.

Honestly I still rotate and use several batteries with my Hoppers over the years using an external Battery charger. Lately however keeping a mag charger in the car makes a lot of sense for me (and another for home or travel). I’m still in the camp that likes to charge batteries externally rather than inside a vape but that’s just me. It’s good to have the option though. :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Despite frequent issues that had my abandon all hope for the OG hopper a couple of years ago...I decided to give Hopper Labs another go and snag a SS IO. Loved my purple titatinum OG when it was working As I was downsizing my collection to just MFLB + one other vape, the IO just was too enticing of a prospect for my usage. When my OG hopper was working it was easily my go-to over all other vapes. Now that I only get to sneak in a couple of tokes a night, and no longer have the space for a lot of vape gear, it just made sense. Crossing my fingers they have their QC in order for the IO.

I have one of the newer style chargers that they now include with the IO, but I bought it back when they first changed the design. (Order in May 2017) Has anything about the design of the charger changed since then/would this charger be safe to use with my new IO? I frankly never used it much in the past because I had a fleet of batteries with an external charger, but as I will just be using for a few hits a day now, I don't plan on constantly battery swapping. Would be nice to be able to take one charger on the go and keep another setup with a charging stand.

One other small thing, I see they still have not done anything with the clip design to stop it from scratching the hopper body (man my OG purple titanium hopper was scratched to crap from constantly changing rapidly depleting/flashing blue light batteries). Anyone have some sort of covering they would recommend for the clip to stop it from scratching?
@Vaporific is correct, all the versions of charger work for both products.

Imo, the SS age nicely, I think that's a good selection.
The color ones have always been the most prone to wear marks from the pocket clip (and they haven't been available yet anyway...).

MonkeyTime

When I cared, I used a small piece of shrink tubing to cover the clip. I color coded them so I knew which was which. Now I just try not to, but accept the scratches, stuff happens.

My OG's all run cold now so it's my IO or nothing. No codes or worries.

I was really looking forward to trading in two GH's for credit and adding another IO. Unfortunately their response and insistence that the only deal they've ever offered was the full trade in, including charger put me off. Keep an eye on the classifieds, there may be a package of two OG's and an IO with a full 18650/power kit from MaxVapor. I was that put off.

Uridium

Well, my IO is...... still kicking ass!

I had 2 batteries with my IO and was starting to get flashing lights from fresh charged cells, oddly as they warmed up in the vape they produced a bit more power.

fresh batteries cured that issue, now trying to mainly charge one battery in the vape. Found one of my USB chargers would create false charging whereby it would look like it was charging but wasn’t. Changed to a different adapter and that has improved.

I only use my IO at max temp through a bubbler and I now use the PFE. Extraction is pretty much done in one big draw, just the way I like it.

I hit this thing twice about 5 - 10 times a day and it it still going strong.
AVB is between milk and dark chocolate so well spent.

I love my IO, glad HL have managed to get back on track, even in a global pandemic!

abcd5432

What's the latest on reliability of this? Tried to read the last couple pages to get an idea..

I want to order 5 batteries first. Is that actually possible?

abcd5432,
Top Bottom