• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

MoltenTiger

@MoltenTiger I ordered an MC2 charger when I read your comment recommending it. It's the second time I hear the MC2 is better. Your reply just solidified my purchase. I have left my batteries in the VC2 over night,😬 So hopefully I do a lot less damage with the MC2 haha. Thanks for the info dude!
No problem. I hope your batteries are okay, I've burnt through enough to appreciate being more careful by just using the Xtar MC2 for the past few years. My first charger cost me 3x as much, charged at 1A and ate through a bunch of GHB1s before I came to my senses and did the research needed to now be able to occasionally choose to leave batteries in the charger overnight. I don't recommend it and I very rarely do it, but all my cells have probably seen close to and some easily over 1000 cycles each, and in part it's because of the Xtar MC2

Now thats got me wondering how many times my Grasshoppers have consumed their weight in herb... Might be pushing 50x haha, high value high quality items ftw.

ss pfe and a ss short drip tip
I have my SS PFE again, and I noticed that because it heats up slower, it lends itself better to direct draws.

I bet the SS io with SS drip tip is one sleek gadget.

I'm rocking my self anodised Ti PFE atm, man is it nice to pick up the io after some hours and immediately get a quick lungful of the loaded chambers goodies.
It really is nice using the io native, though it does get hot after a short while.
I guess the Ti cools quicker, but the SS thermal inertia is all in all nicer. The heat is instant so with cold metal it works quite well indeed, and SS stays cooler longer.
I still mostly use extra cooling to get a session out of it and typically use Ti and glass. I'll have to try out the drip tip method again.

For quick and occasional blasts, which is the original intention of the Zen Pen, the io is incredibly dialled.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
@MoltenTiger I ordered an MC2 charger when I read your comment recommending it. It's the second time I hear the MC2 is better. Your reply just solidified my purchase. I have left my batteries in the VC2 over night,😬 So hopefully I do a lot less damage with the MC2 haha. Thanks for the info dude!
Ditto. Not yet but I’ll be ordering an MC2 soon too. I’ve been researching chargers for both the Hopper batts and 18650s (for my Tinymight) as my 2 slot Nitecore has a balky cord connector slot. Gives me an excuse to buy a new one, that’s all. I’d prefer to buy a new vape, perhaps an io, but I’ll continue to wait (my 4 year old legacy Ti Hopper still works) and I continue to follow the reviews - good, bad and indifferent - herein. :peace:

EDIT: even with my Nitecores (yes 2) I never charge batts over night, and remove them when charged when I can.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I picked up an Xtar MC2 last year on @MoltenTiger's recommendation and use it rather than the Nitecore D2 I had been using.
He made the suggestion after I had an og battery venting episode. Idk if it was related to the charger I was using or not, but it felt good to do something proactive about that issue.
I've been happy with the MC2 but at the same time I started to use outboard chargers less often. If the device has it's own option, as Hopper does, then more often I'll just use that and eliminate the steps (handling) that can add vulnerabilities to the equation.

One thing I find to be less handy with the MC2 is that the batteries are very close together when 2 are in it, making it hard to grip a battery and keep the spring from sending it flying as you pull it out (when I do that I'm also trying to be super careful that the charger's springy tab doesn't scrape the battery cover). One thing I've done to make it easier is to leave an elastic band wrapped around the charger full time, so it lays beneath the batteries when they are in place. The elastic can be used to pull the battery up and out (lots of AA and AAA battery compartments have this little aid).

aspire-Nautilus-drip-tip.jpeg
@MoltenTiger this is called an Aspire Nautilus drip tip. Got mine in the states for under 5 bucks. @Hjalmark (I think) recommends kinds that use 2 silicone rings (mine can come loose - until a little resin forms around and holds it in better), and I would have preferred wood actually, but am pretty happy with this. Paired with a pfe it completely answers the too-hot-for-the-lips issue.
It is a 'standard 510' drip tip. Pull it out, I'm ready for water tool. Leave it in to take out and about, or use generally around the house.

WhyAreWeWaiting

I picked up an Xtar MC2 last year on @MoltenTiger's recommendation and use it rather than the Nitecore D2 I had been using.
He made the suggestion after I had an og battery venting episode. Idk if it was related to the charger I was using or not, but it felt good to do something proactive about that issue.
I've been happy with the MC2 but at the same time I started to use outboard chargers less often. If the device has it's own option, as Hopper does, then more often I'll just use that and eliminate the steps (handling) that can add vulnerabilities to the equation.

One thing I find to be less handy with the MC2 is that the batteries are very close together when 2 are in it, making it hard to grip a battery and keep the spring from sending it flying as you pull it out (when I do that I'm also trying to be super careful that the charger's springy tab doesn't scrape the battery cover). One thing I've done to make it easier is to leave an elastic band wrapped around the charger full time, so it lays beneath the batteries when they are in place. The elastic can be used to pull the battery up and out (lots of AA and AAA battery compartments have this little aid).

View attachment 1677
@MoltenTiger this is called an Aspire Nautilus drip tip. Got mine in the states for under 5 bucks. @Hjalmark (I think) recommends kinds that use 2 silicone rings (mine can come loose - until a little resin forms around and holds it in better), and I would have preferred wood actually, but am pretty happy with this. Paired with a pfe it completely answers the too-hot-for-the-lips issue.
It is a 'standard 510' drip tip. Pull it out, I'm ready for water tool. Leave it in to take out and about, or use generally around the house.
Here's some wooden ones.

WhyAreWeWaiting,
Reactions: Hjalmark

vapviking

Old & In the Way

slozukimc

WhyAreWeWaiting

Thank you, but those links (for me) do not show drip tips, they say "this product does not ship to US"
I'm not comfortable ordering direct from China - I tend to look for items that ship within US/Canada, but have not yet found a wooden drip tip this way.
That's a bummer.

Must be because of US trade sanctions against China. We have no problem getting them here in Ireland.

I've been ordering from Aliexpress, DHGate, Wish, Lightinthebox for many years, & I've yet to experience any problems whatsoever.

For the small number of items that didn't arrive on time, refunds were promptly issued.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My IO finally arrived today.

Just fired it up on 2.5 using a silicone drip tip and a PFE.

Sensational.

My fingers are crossed that this one continues to work into the future.

How does one register a new IO?
It is said that you can email support@thehopper.io and they will register it for you.
(I would wait a week or a few to be sure this one is viable - mine went back in week 2, unregistered and with no formal rma, not even any paperwork, they simply sent a whole new one out and asked for the old one back.)

A great-working hopper is a thing of beauty.
Enjoy!

fogbank

I was under the impression the IO was supposed to run 10 degrees hotter than the OG.

I'm not sure about the exact difference in temps, but the overall performance of the IO is impressive, and I still prefer it to any of my OG Hoppers. It extracts very well, and the end result of temp stepping a chamber from 3-4-5 results is nice medium-to-dark brown ABV. I get impressive clouds on the first two hits at temp 3.

The OG Hoppers that I have that run "hotter" than the IO can turn the ABV black in 3-4 draws. But the IO seems to extract more evenly, and the flavor is preserved for longer.

WhyAreWeWaiting

USPS had troubles before this, especially in Chicago. The current situation has majorly excarbated the hold ups to a point of overwhelming the system and likely everyone in it, the poor souls.
When I was waiting 3 months for them to ship my io I did a bit of reading and there are some real horror stories, mainly from people waiting similar time-frames for vital pain medications and such, there's a huge amount of every kind of disgruntled hopeful recipient being strung along and I did feel for those who were legitimately suffering. After about 1.5 months I just gave up worrying about it and stopped thinking about it as best I could. A week before it arrived I assumed it was never going to, but all of a sudden it was processed and what a relief.
The most annoying aspect is for retailers or small etsy sellers getting fucked over by a lack of scanned deliveries and all sorts of dicky situations.
During all this USPS continued to lie and knowingly give false delivery quotes and still accept 'express orders' which didn't receive any different treatment. For multiple months not a single flight was taking USPS international small parcels and there were trucks parked up in lots full of these neglected packages.
An already struggling logistical nightmare got handed a card it couldn't play and instead of addressing anything, they just strung everyone along and caused some people, thankfully not me, legitimate distress. I just got really pissed off and angry and that was good for nothing.

I hope people get their stuff soon and get that juicy relief. Good things are worth waiting for. And some things are actually needed to be handled with respect and care, like customers and medications.

Alternatively UPS just delivered me my parcel in 7 days after waiting 6 months for it to be shipped. All's well that ends well I guess.

And with the io, thats the every day. It's working so well.
I think the USA is falling apart, not just USPS.

Even in Ireland a 3 month wait would be extremely rare. In fact I never heard anyone waiting for post that long.

Anyway I've been enjoying my IO for the last 24 hours. Still a bit confused with the white lights. Sometimes found myself waiting for the white to change to blue for a couple of seconds before realising it's OK to draw. Hard to identify any real difference with a good OG. I'm hoping that the reliability issues with OG have finally been sorted. IMO it's one of the best all round portable vapes . . . when it's working.

MonkeyTime

I think the USA is falling apart, not just USPS.

Even in Ireland a 3 month wait would be extremely rare. In fact I never heard anyone waiting for post that long.
Hard to compare countries and the affects these strange times are having on them, no?

Ireland has 3/4 the population of New York City alone, our logistics are on a very different scale than yours.....

Now back on topic!

My IO has been acting up a lot lately. Harder to get it to charge with the cord, not extracting as well, I swear the draw has increased..... It's almost not fun again.

I'm convinced the charger is just finicky as all. I thought I had found the magic combination of steps that would always start it charging, but it's failed inconsistently as well. I'm still clicking it on/off, attaching the magnetic end and then plugging it in, it works about 50% of the time.

I have it a very thorough cleaning and it hasn't seemed to help much. The back end had starting getting hot also, I'm guessing it's not making perfect contact somewhere in the back end. I think they have a very small tolerance for success.

I may just inquire about sending it in, but that's another game I never seem to win :ugh:

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
View attachment 1677

I’ve had great success using a Dyanavap fat mouthpiece on my hopper. No hot metal on the lips and it takes some of the bite out of the heat (can vape at max temp without glass).

mushlove2u

My hopper io is not charging,,, lights are flashing every second constant blink blink on the charger. It has gotten progressively worse over the last few days and now will not charge at all. Emailed customer service as the portal link has not been working for me, I get an error message after I wrote the whole darn message. Sent email to CS where I’ve had decent luck with reply’s. Also sent a pm the vgoodies here but he’s backed up At the moment.
I should mention the back end of my io is extremely hard to turn the dial.
I have been trying to figure out if it’s the batteries (I don’t get through 2 cycles of 3/4 draws on any of the 3 batteries hopper labs just sent) But now maybe it’s joust the actual hopper io. Ugh. Back to my Simrell and arizer Argo until this is taken care of. All the while waiting on my purple ti hopper that has been in warranty since June 18. Hopefully my package from Elev8 gets here soon so I have some new toys to stay busy (even though most of the glass was purchased to compliment the io.)
Have a good day!

Guest399

Hello @Hopper Labs i see you are online

Welcome back :)

tomorrow it will be August, the month where the batteries are supposed to finally arrive. wait. I will report here whether I will get my delivery this month or whether everything was just a lab as so often

Last edited:

mushlove2u

Is there auto shut off on the i
My hopper io is not charging,,, lights are flashing every second constant blink blink on the charger. It has gotten progressively worse over the last few days and now will not charge at all. Emailed customer service as the portal link has not been working for me, I get an error message after I wrote the whole darn message. Sent email to CS where I’ve had decent luck with reply’s. Also sent a pm the vgoodies here but he’s backed up At the moment.
I should mention the back end of my io is extremely hard to turn the dial.
I have been trying to figure out if it’s the batteries (I don’t get through 2 cycles of 3/4 draws on any of the 3 batteries hopper labs just sent) But now maybe it’s joust the actual hopper io. Ugh. Back to my Simrell and arizer Argo until this is taken care of. All the while waiting on my purple ti hopper that has been in warranty since June 18. Hopefully my package from Elev8 gets here soon so I have some new toys to stay busy (even though most of the glass was purchased to compliment the io.)
Have a good day!
update: Definitely something with my charger, as I left it plugged in but it never charged and then I had no blinking lights whatsoever. I just changed batteries and it’s blinking every second but not charging at all.

Macicman

So, I did the side by side test of my original TI Grasshopper DopeGun(TM) vs the new TI Hopper IO DopeGun(TM) through a j-hook. The IO blew the old man away. The original Grasshopper always requires a few priming hits/puffs to get going. The IO does not.
As for charging. The new charger has to have the cable pulled out of the wall outlet base after it is connected to either device to start charging. Pulling the wall plug out won't do. Pull the USB end out while leaving the wall outlet base in the wall outlet, and then stick it back in.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
As for charging. The new charger has to have the cable pulled out of the wall outlet base after it is connected to either device to start charging. Pulling the wall plug out won't do. Pull the USB end out while leaving the wall outlet base in the wall outlet, and then stick it back in.
This not always necessary.
My new io and charger did not need the extra unplug/plug steps in order to work with the io or an og.
The io did come with an extra piece of paper saying the steps were necessary, but mine seems to only need it occasionally to get back on track. All my Grasshopper chargers have needed it on random occasion.

It is an essential 'trick' to be ready to use any time you get no lights when hooked up.

MoltenTiger

My new io and charger did not need the extra unplug/plug steps in order to work with the io or an og.
The io did come with an extra piece of paper saying the steps were necessary, but mine seems to only need it occasionally to get back on track. All my Grasshopper chargers have needed it on random occasion.

It is an essential 'trick' to be ready to use any time you get no lights when hooked up.
I don't really use the magnetic charger so I'm not that familiar with it. But I think that once the charger is 'initialised' ie. Working one way or another, then you don't need to replug the USB-A end when using the same set up. If you switch to a different outlet or attach a different unit to the ring, that seems to be when the replug trick is needed

So, I did the side by side test of my original TI Grasshopper DopeGun(TM) vs the new TI Hopper IO DopeGun(TM) through a j-hook. The IO blew the old man away. The original Grasshopper always requires a few priming hits/puffs to get going. The IO does not.
Totally agree.
Having the legacy back in rotation with mains power is nice, but it has made me appreciate all the updates with the io just that little bit more.

I mostly love the slightly better airflow as my recyclers are firing up and functioning like a dream, but the extra power with the lack of waiting is a pretty awesome improvement too.

My back-end is super hard to turn and eventually expect it will be replaced, other than that everything else is amazing, especially now I can power the thing to it's full potential.

Last edited:

fogbank

This is my experience also, using on OG charger. I charge my IO exactly the same way as I charge my OG Hoppers. I have a timer switch on my power strip. The charging cable is plugged into the switch. I attach the charging cable to the Hopper back end and push the button on the timer switch to activate it. The Hoppers start charging.

There is some variation between Hoopers in what happens after I power the switch on. Older Hoppers will start blinking red and keep blinking red until the battery is charged. Some newer Hoppers will blink red once, pause for about 30 seconds, then blink red again until the battery is charged.

The IO will blink white once, pause for some time (? seconds), then blink white once every few seconds until the battery is charged, then it will blink white twice.

Top Bottom