Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Great song :)
Zimmerman (aka Dylan) is often quoted on this site. No wonder he garnered a Nobel Prize.

Indeed, many of us continue to wait on HL. Don’t get me wrong, I look forward to IO reviews but they’re at the expense of us legacy Hopper folks waiting for batteries, accessories and those paid for that have yet to come to fruition (steel case and HBC). We wait and wait. And where is HL on here? Crickets! :peace:

Guest399

can anybody from the old OH Grasshopper users or the ne ones io`s tell me if the performance front end much cooler ist than the normal Frontend ? or only a little bit ?
i mean in using without bubbler. i am thinking to buy one of it with some batteries for the future.
What prevents me a little bit at now is the fact that the paypal account is debited directly and not only when the item is sent
--my hopper io is still staying at customs :uhh:

JCat

Accessory Maker
can anybody from the old OH Grasshopper users or the ne ones io`s tell me if the performance front end much cooler ist than the normal Frontend ? or only a little bit ?
i mean in using without bubbler. i am thinking to buy one of it with some batteries for the future.
What prevents me a little bit at now is the fact that the paypal account is debited directly and not only when the item is sent
You might want to order another IO with those batteries ... otherwise you will likely never get them! ;) :doh:

Guest399

You might want to order another IO with those batteries ... otherwise you will likely never get them! ;) :doh:
yes, I already thought about it. :( that would mean that you only get batteries if the business is worth it!? what else should I do with 1 or 2 batteries forever for 1 device. That would make the device unusable. But I know that unfortunately many people already do so made experiences. :( if it came as you say, I would pay and lose money and never get the goods, or only after years. The whole system is somehow not well thought out and I think the opposite is the way it was supposed to be! ?

is not meant bad now. HL please think about your system. Old satisfied customers bring new money, and probably more than new ones would.

Edit: so can helps me definitely the Grasshopper Power Kit from Maxvapor

I have read the paypal guidelines that you can report a "conflict" up to 180 days after the purchase. after that you would no longer be covered and the money would theoretically be lost. So I will place an order with batteries and after 6 months at the latest if it has not been sent, I will report the conflict should HL will not answer to mails. I think so I'm safe to get money back if they dont sent the batteries

vapeverythingnyc

Performance front end is a bit cooler but the io is significantly cooler than the OG. I’ve been using the io native without the silicone mouthpiece cover and it’s fine for about 3-4 back to back hits.

fogbank

I bought a Ti and an SS PFE some time ago. I only tried them on my OG Hoppers. For me they made the vapor hotter, not cooler, especially after the first draw. I could barely put my lips on the PFE after the first draw.

Vaporific

Performance front end is a bit cooler but the io is significantly cooler than the OG. I’ve been using the io native without the silicone mouthpiece cover and it’s fine for about 3-4 back to back hits.
What temp are you running now? What are/were you running on your legacy Hopper? I’m a native legacy Hopper user (with standard mouthpiece and have a PFE which I recently got but haven’t used much) and I seldom use glass and I’m curious about other native users. Still pondering an IO but it won’t be any time soon. I’ll wait for the IO unlike I did for my pre-order Ti. :peace:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I agree with @fogbank, I find the PFE gets hotter than the standard mouthpiece. I think part of that is simply the extra mass, it has more metal overall and more metal means it can absorb more heat over time. The standard frontend also has a cooling component inside which not only cools the vapor but also absorbs some heat that would otherwise be absorbed by the outer shell.

That being said, in my initial impressions I feel I prefer the PFE with the Hopper io and I prefer the standard frontend with the Grasshopper. The extra airflow of the io is further enhanced with the PFE and it is a very enjoyable experience, even used natively. I’ve always been the type to take a (huge) hit and then wait a bit for the next one anyways so the heat never builds up that much. It also allows me to take a bigger hit in the first place with the improved airflow. With the Grasshopper I feel the bottleneck is more in the device itself and the PFE only offers moderate improvement to airflow.

Edit: I also want to add I’m not a fan of Hopper Labs handling of the battery situation. I declined a battery with my Hopper io and I had hoped that they would allocate as many batteries as possible to those waiting. It seems that hasn’t happened. While that may be necessary right now, it is a result of a history of mistakes punctuated by some unfortunate luck. If better choices were made previously HL wouldn’t be in such dire circumstances right now.

Last edited:

Guest399

Would it be possible for someone to take a short picture of the change to the new IO frontend so that I can see if it is worth ordering more OG frontends where I can get cheap. I got an OG frontend today, but haven't got the Hopper IO to compare yet. that would be nice :peace:

vapeverythingnyc

What temp are you running now? What are/were you running on your legacy Hopper? I’m a native legacy Hopper user (with standard mouthpiece and have a PFE which I recently got but haven’t used much) and I seldom use glass and I’m curious about other native users. Still pondering an IO but it won’t be any time soon. I’ll wait for the IO unlike I did for my pre-order Ti. :peace:

My usual sequence:
OG Ti: 3 -> 4 -> 5
iO SS: 2.5 -> 3.8 -> 5

deeznutslol

Ordered on 6/15 and just received today, which was very surprising.

Already by far my favorite vape I've ever used in terms of heat up time, vapor quality and vapor production. We'll see if it lasts, but love it so far.

The tip gets pretty hot at higher temperatures (>3.5) but is manageable native below that. Above 3.5, it is manageable native with a silicone tip. Don't have the PFE yet

Last edited:

Stonedbadger

my assessment (without evaluating them) is that Hopper Labs will not come back here anytime soon.

I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them making 'unidentified' posts with fanciful claims of excellent customer service and immediate delivery of batteries that not only didn't explode, but actually worked...

Stonedbadger,
  • Haha
Reactions: JCat

sammac

I have noticed my io will just turn on occasionally!?! And sometimes it doesn't turn on when I click it.

sammac,

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
I have had my pre-ordered IO for 2+ weeks now, and I must say I am impressed with the performance improvements over the OG. So far, I have not observed any malfunctions, and it definitely feels like the next evolution of this innovative vape design. I don't believe there is another vape quite like it, at least that I have seen. The hits are more powerful and easier to draw than the OG, and the clouds are magnificent. I am getting 3~4 full sessions before the lights begin to flash. It may function longer on low battery, but I am not pushing it. The IO simply is art in product design and construction.

I own several other vapes, but none that I like better. One of the key determinants for me in evaluating a vape is the ease with which the device can be serviced between sessions. Both the OG and the IO set a high bar on this point, as they are super easy to clean and restore to a pristine working state. Too many vapes incorporate tiny holes, small parts, baffles, etc. in the vape path that are just a pain to clean. Servicing a vape after use is not part of the fun for me. And I really hate it when air passages begin to clog mid-session and increase the amount of effort it takes to draw a hit. That's simply not been a problem for me with the OG and IO, and for that the HL vapes win much love from me.

Many reviewers complain about the heat from the OG. I have found that the IO is not much different in vape output temperature, but the back end and body stay MUCH cooler than the OG. Given the short vapor path, it's inevitable that the vapor will be hot and the tip quickly grow warm. But there is a variety of good solutions available to make this a manageable shortcoming in return for simplicity, performance, and stealth. I am a big fan of using the PFE to facilitate use with bubblers, J-handles, or just plain 1/2" ID plastic tubing with a pipe stem.

As has been well documented here and elsewhere, the elephants in the room will continue be reliability and access to replacement batteries. However, given my genuine affection for the IO and my 3-year old OG, I am willing to wait and see how this story turns out for HL. I actually purchased another IO after a week, which I also have received, so I would have a backup IO and swappable components while I evaluate reliability over time. Instead of purchasing devices with different finishes, I opted for plain titanium for both IOs to facilitate cosmetic interchangeability.

HL really struggles with the simple stuff, like basic customer service. They could quickly generate much good will by adhering to a customer communication plan to respond to every inquiry with good or bad news within no more than 24 hours. If HL cannot fix this issue, no matter how good the product, they always will drag ass in the market and be an under performer as a business. If they don't turn the corner very soon, perhaps HL will sell the company or technology to a more mature business that understands that any product, no matter how great, just sucks without good customer service.

MoltenTiger

Well after a long work day, it is extremely nice to return home to instant satisfaction.

Customs beat me to the unboxing, but they left it all in okay condition, the charger was outside the box and the manual was a bit scuffed. Not fussed but I will say the day I got three hoppers (2 for others) was a very nice unboxing experience. I did prefer the drawer box style.
Anyway it's all about the big hits and the lifestyle, and so far I am on cloud 9 for sure.

The leather pouch I got for my what was grey Ti is actually quite nice, but not so good with the PFE. A brand new PFE and full plain Ti set up is nice to have again though, it's been a while, a couple of months since my plain Ti GH died. And despite the near 3 month transit with USPS, I am happy I switched to a plain io even though I guess the leather sleeve is a bit surplus, I'll use it anyway to keep the sheen on this one. It actually looks near identical to my 3.5 year old dead GH which is a testament to a good material choice, that has a couple of tiny dings on the back as I've dropped it (come to think of it this case wouldn't have prevented that anyway, Ti hopper assemblies land button first and turn on on impact, at least that aspect of the hopper is very durable [although lately it has crossed my mind that smacking the thing to empty it is possibly not a good idea, the heater or whatever might be fragile]), but my old slapped about unit only looks a bit dull compared to the brand new one.

Tiny bit of crud in the io chamber I dry q-tipped out, couple of empty runs at 1.5 (immediately can tell this is a different beast) got a bit of, I guess you could say metal or machinery note, minor flavour. Nothing major and faded fast, 3 tokes later at 5 I was happy to fill.
BCG fine grind with some Purple Headband I have been saving for this very occasion, held onto since pre-4/20 yet post io shipment.
Tune of choice: White Light - Gorillaz.
First toke at 3, pretty solid. I'll say within one chamber it hasn't blown my mind like the sublimator clouds do, just seeing those bad boys roll up a tube is literally insane (yeah I tried T5 at this point, very impressive but despite the instant on it isn't sublimation). Big recommendation to all hopper heads on trying the sub out, it is a similar kind of cloud chasing dream to the extreme.
That said, the io is instant. And it is exactly as good as I expected. This thing is the shit.

I'm definitely fried and have yet to finish the first chamber. I also definitely got the low battery lights with the installed battery.. it has been lost in space for a quarter of a year and customs could have had a go with their confiscated weed for all I know, though definitely not haha. It was as clean as a whistle, so clean that you can spin on the PFE in one click of the fingers. This is vape perfection for me, so slick, quick, tasty and potent. What more do I want? A nice bit of glass to pair.

It's pure convection and leaving nothing to be desired.

Could be conformal coating on the PCB so decent change, if it is there hopefully it's food grade (everything else is, seems likely but I'll have a closer look when I switch battery again).

My batteries are all old, 1.5-2.5yrs since use. This one conked out at T5 on the first toke - probably my worst cell, but more testing will be interesting.
The slotted power adapter and this io are as dreamy as it gets.

The airflow I can't say is a big difference yet. Extreme airflow like the TUBO is crazy, I guess the Tetra would be even windier.
I like the Grasshopper restriction, I guess a good test is my torus function, the GH gets it spinning just, the io...yeah it is better and definitely an improvement. A little airier, it's basically dialled in on perfect.

It is a worthy upgrade. But I would also suggest if the legacy is working for you, then it's definitely not necessary.

However my daily driver plain GH at 4.2 years old carked it for the 7th time in it's multi-evolutionary life. The tally sits at 5 warranty requests in 2016, 6 in 2017, 1 in 2020. Over 3 units, now with a 4th, I expect there could be more but I don't mind as long as I can enjoy quality cannabis properly from here on out I think it's worth the price of replacement, worth the wait, and worth acknowledging that everything else is in many ways (not all) inferior.

I largely justified getting the io because of the fascination and enjoyment I got from round 1.

Round 2 is more mature. The back end is much improved. The lights are nicer, more even, easier to explain and deal with in every way.
The hopper is very simple but a lot of people find it hard to grasp I've found. This thing is a really good gadget to have and show off, just as the legacy but better in all the ways just by enough.

edit: one new feature - there's a tiny rattle. Takes a good shake, I noticed it emptying the chamber hands free. Haven't had that before.. anyone else?

edit 2: after getting the included battery off the charger, I gotta say I'm more impressed. You can fight this heater like a mother fucker. I have the capacity for enormous bong hits and wow. This is really, really good.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Wow... is it going to be longer than your usual one liner? :lol:
You mean #Dope-gun ? That says it all. Looking forward to more IO reviews! I’m jealous but holding out on the IO,and it’s too bad cause I can buy 10 of them now if I wanted to (or any other vape at the moment) but won’t. New replacement batts ASAP for my Hopper would be a (nice) start by HL. We continue to wait... TGIF to all. :peace:

kilo

I had to laugh when I got this email from Grinders for Life:

First of all, thank you for your support and for purchasing a D-Capper Lighter. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances caused by the COVID-19 crisis, our lighter supplier didn’t come through for us and the production/shipment of the lighters was delayed repeatedly. We will be fully refunding all lighter pre-sales and will not be taking any lighter orders until further notice. (...)

Remind you of anyone? Shit happens.

kilo,

Vaporific

Remind you of anyone?
Not HL. There would be a snowball’s chance in hell they’d do this.

Shit happens
Yes it does and, unfortunately, all too often for HL.

I’m still routing for them to succeed however they really make it hard to pull for them given all the blunders and missteps. Still love my Hopper though. :peace:

Vaporific,
Top Bottom