Discontinued Hopper io

AJS

Calm Consistency
That was sick!
Only thing that's stopping me from a bigger rip is how much my lungs can take. It can keep pumping out more.

@AJS, thanks for making nostril-cam portion mercifully brief!
I'll set up a separate light so you get a direct line of sight straight up next time.
____
Any vids anyone wants to see? Cold start on lower temp? Max temp cold start? Back to back rips? Small dose high temp?
Trying to keep it within a minute so I can plug to IG and avoid YT.

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
Only thing that's stopping me from a bigger rip is how much my lungs can take. It can keep pumping out more.

I'll set up a separate light so you get a direct line of sight straight up next time.
____
Any vids anyone wants to see? Cold start on lower temp? Max temp cold start? Back to back rips? Small dose high temp?
Trying to keep it within a minute so I can plug to IG and avoid YT.

yes yes and yes! I would like to see as many videos as you would like to post please!

Thank you very much for your efforts

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Those who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now without a battery see below. If you requested an "early shipping unit" via PM you must also now do this:

1. You must have a completed order for a hopper io Stainless Steel or Titanium. Order one as normal now if you want to do this but don't have an order.
2. Compose an email to support@thehopper.io with the subject "Hopper io - early shipping"
3. In the body have the email address of your Hopper account and your order number
4. If you choose to have it shipped now we won't ship you a battery later.

Batteries are on track to arrive in 7-12 days. Will keep you updated. Hopper io's are sitting ready to ship!

1jukeboxhero

Those who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now without a battery see below. If you requested an "early shipping unit" via PM you must also now do this:

1. You must have a completed order for a hopper io Stainless Steel or Titanium. Order one as normal now if you want to do this but don't have an order.
2. Compose an email to support@thehopper.io with the subject "Hopper io - early shipping"
3. In the body have the email address of your Hopper account and your order number

Batteries are on track to arrive in 7-12 days. Will keep you updated. Hopper io's are sitting ready to ship!

With regards to number 4.
For those of us who are getting a replacement battery from the made in China GHB2 issue. If we elect to ship the io without a battery can we get the missing battery later with our replacement battery? (So ship 2 batteries [io and replacement] instead of 1 when they arrive).

Or is this battery shipment purely for the io and does not include replacement batteries for the made in China GHB2?

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
Fair enough. If the battery shipment is really 7 to 12 days away I’d rather wait since batteries are so crucial to a strong functioning grasshopper. Thanks for the options in the updates.
Please make a formal announcement to the forum when those batteries come in so I can get my order placed. Thank you

Tolamang

For those of us who emailed you choosing this route(forgoing the battery to get the device now) when do you intend on shipping if you know yet?

Tolamang,

hopperhead

umm..so by "we won't ship a battery to you after" do you mean we completely forfeit the battery, completely? As in we can't even pay extra to have our 1 promised battery per unit shipped out?

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I think @Hopper Labs are saying they won't automatically send out a new battery when they arrive, if you choose to get the io early.

When batteries are available I would imagine that if you purchased additional items to make shipping worthwhile, or was even just willing to pay shipping, they would get a battery sent out to you. Just don't exect one to arrive automatically when they finally get their stock.

At least, that's how I see it and I find it hard to believe that @Hopper Labs would see it any differently.

:peace:

david8613

pity that the Hooper do not use normal 18650 batteries. that would be a lot better

I always thought the next generation hopper would be a fatter version using 18650 batteries. chamber could have made a little flatter/wider like the way the plenty is, miss that device. this would also make the vapor path just a little bit longer. I would be all over this.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@Hopper Labs has told us already that all other batteries were rejected in design phase, for lacking the "punch" (my term, not his) that a custom design could bring to the table.
Grasshopper would look even less like a pen if it were fat enough for an 18650. It would have less stealth factor, and be bulkier in the pocket.

I don't see why one would think the vapor path would be shorter because of a different battery. That all happens downstream from the battery compartment.

With the statement about early-requested hopper io receiving no battery; it seemed straightforward to me, that if you want this early delivery HL doesn't intend to track the battery or supply it later at no cost. You get a hopper io. Done. Or you can wait for the process and get yours with a battery when the general roll out happens.

ZC

Honestly the grasshopper isn't stealthy in a way that matters. Could it pass as a pen, sure? But a lot of people would see a pen like that and immediately ask about it. It looks more like a "conversation starter" pen, not a bic you use everyday. Secondly, after use, it reeks. If you're using this thing in public, people can smell it on you. They might be polite, but they can smell it.

The click is loud, the lights are bright. On top of that if you use the standard tip without the silicone cover it's unbearably hot after a couple hits, so you either use the silicone or the PFE, both of which make it look like it's not a pen.

People have seen my grasshopper and said "Oh wow is that a vape?" Nobody has assumed it's actually a pen.

The hopper's punch to me, comes from having an excellent, powerful heater that heats the chamber evenly and quickly while excelling with a fast draw speed. That part of the tech is absolutely incredible. But the stealth idea is nonsense, the batteries are a huge Achilles heel.

I definitely get it for the launch product, the smaller size made it sexy and impressive. If the initial hopper was an 18650 a lot less people would have pre-ordered and tried it. But now that they're expanding out to multiple models, a bigger model that fixes the shortcomings of the OG hopper is a no-brainer.

If hopper made a standard 18650 model I would pre-order it immediately. Hell, if it was a plug-in desktop model with no batteries I would do the same. The same batteries in the IO makes it to me, the same product as the standard hopper. I see no reason to upgrade when it doesn't fix the main problem the hopper has. The little quality of life improvements on the IO looks nice, but honestly feel more like a revision than a new product.

hopperhead

Does the hopper really reek that much? I had multiple runnings with the police passing by (or stopping my car), and if I just put it in my pocket they can't smell a thing. Imagine that with a joint (or a session vape with a cooling chamber, those things can reek!).
mine doesn't smell at all unless you put it an inch or so from your nose.. guy is exaggerating

Terpenetime

But now that they're expanding out to multiple models, a bigger model that fixes the shortcomings of the OG hopper is a no-brainer

Not within the limited budget constraints that Hopper Labs are clearly operating under. The cost of refining and improving an existing design is a fraction of the cost of developing a brand new product line :2c:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Does the hopper really reek that much? I had multiple runnings with the police passing by (or stopping my car), and if I just put it in my pocket they can't smell a thing. Imagine that with a joint (or a session vape with a cooling chamber, those things can reek!).
No, it doesn’t smell much at all. In fact, my Furies reek compared to my OG Hopper. If you house it in a sleeve or case right away after use it might accumulate a bit of odor but both of my leather storage options, a wallet style case (from @Ratchett - best Hopper accessory I’ve purchased) and the 2nd gen HL leather sleeve, don’t smell at all. I’ve had my Hopper for 3.5 years too and use it heavily. I don’t think the Hopper leaves that much residual odor :2c::peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Honestly the grasshopper isn't stealthy in a way that matters. Could it pass as a pen, sure? But a lot of people would see a pen like that and immediately ask about it. It looks more like a "conversation starter" pen, not a bic you use everyday. Secondly, after use, it reeks. If you're using this thing in public, people can smell it on you. They might be polite, but they can smell it.

The click is loud, the lights are bright. On top of that if you use the standard tip without the silicone cover it's unbearably hot after a couple hits, so you either use the silicone or the PFE, both of which make it look like it's not a pen.

People have seen my grasshopper and said "Oh wow is that a vape?" Nobody has assumed it's actually a pen.

The hopper's punch to me, comes from having an excellent, powerful heater that heats the chamber evenly and quickly while excelling with a fast draw speed. That part of the tech is absolutely incredible. But the stealth idea is nonsense, the batteries are a huge Achilles heel.

I definitely get it for the launch product, the smaller size made it sexy and impressive. If the initial hopper was an 18650 a lot less people would have pre-ordered and tried it. But now that they're expanding out to multiple models, a bigger model that fixes the shortcomings of the OG hopper is a no-brainer.

If hopper made a standard 18650 model I would pre-order it immediately. Hell, if it was a plug-in desktop model with no batteries I would do the same. The same batteries in the IO makes it to me, the same product as the standard hopper. I see no reason to upgrade when it doesn't fix the main problem the hopper has. The little quality of life improvements on the IO looks nice, but honestly feel more like a revision than a new product.
As you say, back when it launched it was (and still is) sexy and impressive. I have personally (a few years ago) walked thru a security station, had my glasses case opened, viewed and shut and the guy didn't blink an eye. Some people have assumed it's a pen or maybe a laser pointer. Just speaking to your perception that nobody thinks it's a pen.

Of course stealth is a matter of degree.

I also think it's not a particularly smelly vape, and I currently live in a house where smell matters...

Other than the supply chain glitches (major!) I'm not too unhappy with the battery being proprietary. Lately I almost never take the battery out, just pop it on the standard charger after most uses. Having multiple hoppers is the better answer for me, a heavier user.

Imo, Grasshopper's Achilles Heel is the fact that it can not stay clean internally over time. I believe this eventually fucks with the heat sensor and possible other components -- and certainly the draw resistance.

Yesterday I decided to blow out (with canned air) my nicest og, a ti that's been running great since last serviced in Oct. '19. The draw resistance was noticeable, so it was time. Since then, it won't heat up; quick flash of red then straight to blue (with clicking!) but no heat develops. Did I break it using one of HL's prescribed maintenance procedures? Crap, I think this means heat sensor issue (though I'm no hopper doctor).

I do agree that the io seems as much or more like a revision than a new product.
I happen to still applaud HL's efforts and stick-to-it-tive-ness. They are working their way inexorably toward the original vision and goal, it just hasn't been very graceful...

EDIT:
I am still working on reviving the downed ti.
In fairness to HL and recommended method: I forgot to swab out the chamber before blowing it out. I may have forced some particles intom the heater area. I have just swabbed with a lot of alcohaol and blew it out some more** and there are signs of life -- some heat and an easier draw, so I may be getting somewhere here. Will report back later. I had almost talked myself into a new 420 vape!

**Thanks to @VegNVape for pointing out to me that most air in a can is not simply air, but contains a lot of nastys. Having already used it once yesterday to break the ti unit, I'm able to rationalize using again today. But it probably should not be widely used around breathing equipment, like lungs...

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I don’t think the Hopper leaves that much residual odor
. . . Unless you throw it in your pocket with a half baked chamber in it.
At least from my own experience, that's when I get the looks & start hearing the comments :rolleyes:

And at times like that I just can't help but think of this scene from Dazed & Confused . . .
Haha

But when empty, imo the Hopper's odor is definitely very minimal - helped by fact it is about as direct draw as you can possibly get from a vape, meaning there is very little space between you and the load for anything niffy to accumulate :2c:

:peace:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@vapviking I recently received the straight to blue but then gave my Ti Grasshopper a thorough cleaning and it still went straight to blue after a quick flash of red, but no heat.

For some reason I turned it on with the frontend removed. It stayed red for 10-20 seconds before I turned it off, it never turned blue. I installed the frontend again and it turned red for 3-5 seconds, and then blue lights with heat. So far it’s been performing like normal.

It might be a random coincidence but I figured it was worth mentioning and trying.

hopperhead

@vapviking I recently received the straight to blue but then gave my Ti Grasshopper a thorough cleaning and it still went straight to blue after a quick flash of red, but no heat.

For some reason I turned it on with the frontend removed. It stayed red for 10-20 seconds before I turned it off, it never turned blue. I installed the frontend again and it turned red for 3-5 seconds, and then blue lights with heat. So far it’s been performing like normal.

It might be a random coincidence but I figured it was worth mentioning and trying.
the front end being on or not wouldn't matter

Top Bottom