Discontinued Hopper io

ssrrosey

@vapviking I recently received the straight to blue but then gave my Ti Grasshopper a thorough cleaning and it still went straight to blue after a quick flash of red, but no heat.

For some reason I turned it on with the frontend removed. It stayed red for 10-20 seconds before I turned it off, it never turned blue. I installed the frontend again and it turned red for 3-5 seconds, and then blue lights with heat. So far it’s been performing like normal.

It might be a random coincidence but I figured it was worth mentioning and trying.
100% coincidence. The front end doesn’t affect the actual mechanical function in the slightest. Now if you’d said backend then maybe

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
100% coincidence. The front end doesn’t affect the actual mechanical function in the slightest. Now if you’d said backend then maybe
Yes but the front end is required to complete the electrical circuit as far as I understand. Whatever I did seemed to do some sort of software reset, I agree that I don’t think it affected anything mechanical. For all we know, sometimes it’s a software glitch that causes the straight to blue issue.

ssrrosey

Yes but the front end is required to complete the electrical circuit as far as I understand. Whatever I did seemed to do some sort of software reset, I agree that I don’t think it affected anything mechanical. For all we know, sometimes it’s a software glitch that causes the straight to blue issue.
Why would they include the front end in the circuit? That’d be a terrible design. The front end is just a chunk of metal that directs the vapor. Again, coincidence

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Why would they include the front end in the circuit? That’d be a terrible design. The front end is just a chunk of metal that directs the vapor. Again, coincidence
The whole body itself is the circuit. It was designed like that to eliminate electrical wiring. A lot of people prefer a vaporizer with no wiring near the vapor path for safety issues.

Vapor_Eyes,

hopperhead

lol..funny coincidence is all

The whole body itself is the circuit. It was designed like that to eliminate electrical wiring. A lot of people prefer a vaporizer with no wiring near the vapor path for safety issues.
Did you know hopper labs also previously suggested smacking the hopper on a hard surface to get it going again? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
hopperhead,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I agree. Though I’ve never tried using my OG Hopper without the native frontend (or PFE which I recently purchased for seldom glass use), I’ll bet it works without one. I’ve never seen the same contacts near the frontend that are visible on the back of the body and backend. I could be wrong but I’m basing my hunch on visual observations. I’m not a mechanical engineer either but I think it would work with a frontend - but you’d get lots of flower in your teeth if it does (or if it doesn’t work and I’m wrong, the draw resistance would fill your mouth with flower, LOL). TGIF all. :peace:

hopperhead

I agree. Though I’ve never tried using my OG Hopper without the native frontend (or PFE which I recently purchased for seldom glass use), I’ll bet it works without one. I’ve never seen the same contacts near the frontend that are visible on the back of the body and backend. I could be wrong but I’m basing my hunch on visual observations. I’m not a mechanical engineer either but I think it would work with a frontend - but you’d get lots of flower in your teeth if it does (or if it doesn’t work and I’m wrong, the draw resistance would fill your mouth with flower, LOL). TGIF all. :peace:
it most definitely works without a front end.

hopperhead,
Reactions: Vaporific

ssrrosey

The whole BODY is the keyword. The front-end is not part of the body. If you originally said the body I would have agreed with you

Also I’m not an mech eng. either, but I will mention I studied it for the past 3 years before switching to biochem this last year. I’m far, far from an expert but I’m not purely talking out my ass either. The OG GH was actually one of the things that initially interested me in engineering!

Last edited:

hopperhead

The whole BODY is the keyword. The front-end is not part of the body. If you originally said the body I would have agreed with you
LOL apparently the front end has magic capabilities unknown to us and even hopperlabs Quote from Vapor_Eyes " For all you know starting it up without the frontend initiated a hard reboot of the firmware." Thanks for the laugh man :lol:

ssrrosey

LOL apparently the front end has magic capabilities unknown to us and even hopperlabs Quote from Vapor_Eyes " For all you know starting it up without the frontend initiated a hard reboot of the firmware." Thanks for the laugh man :lol:
I don’t want to keep ripping on this guy for one understandable mistake so this is my last comment on the matter. I think in the old QC testing videos by hopper labs with that weird dome device that sucked smoke in, I think when testing the hoppers in that device was they didn’t have front ends. But I could be wrong this is just based on my recollection of a quite old video

hopperhead

I don’t want to keep ripping on this guy for one understandable mistake so this is my last comment on the matter. I think in the old QC testing videos by hopper labs with that weird dome device that sucked smoke in, I think when testing the hoppers in that device was they didn’t have front ends. But I could be wrong this is just based on my recollection of a quite old video
It's not ripping it's educating

hopperhead,

MoltenTiger

I have had the hot stabbing heat pain at the front end of the hopper and realized that it was arcing electricity from the body to the PFE over the tiny scratch cap that been created through use

Could literally see the tiny lighting but didn't even mention it in my last RMA ... Hmmm maybe I should have

But try turning on your hoppers with fresh battery in the dark and check if you see a blue spark
The front end isn't insulated from the body, which is pumping data and power at alarming rates into the enclosure.

Who fuckin knows with these things. The art of vaporisation is complex, and what the hopper is computing is quite a bit at once. It's why it works so good. It's demonstrably easy to mess with it.

I'm interested to see how the new power adapter plays out, seeing as previous attempts were neglected due to continual device failure. It's a problem, but it's been an evolution too. How many tweaks to software, how many iterations have actually even happened. I hope the io is the final form for the pen. I have handled enough hoppers to recognise that there has been relatively great variance in operation, the io sounds like the best of the best and then some..

Considering how well a short tether and a small power pack accomplice a bong, that is my preferred form factor in terms of reliability, and the TuboX and Sublimator do it pretty well.
The Hopper is a power supply and bowl, all-in-one and completely untethered, direct to piece. It is fantastic when working, but very prone to failure. I hope we don't see any kind of 'voodoo' with the io, and that the software is up to scratch and consistent from launch.

One of the better features that should have been sought would be upgradeable firmware, being able to plug the thing into a PC to diagnose, potentially resuscitate or give clear direction as to how to approach repair. The amount of backlog seen due to cleaning requirements and such can't really happen again.

The io has much more open airflow, so it will allow greater suffering/blockage before becoming problematic. Nearly every detail on it has been fine tuned towards better longevity.
But the fact remains, the overall fragility mixed with the heating curves these things operate on, and whatever else that is going on electronically with them, has varied so much that it has caused a huge disparity of opinion of product and brand.

The batteries are remarkable, this device is pretty crazy. Imagine having this tech many decades ago, I think it's on par with MP3 players and the like. Just zany gadgets that are incredible from the silicon up. As it gets more complex as it does on the cutting edge, it's a pandoras box of bugs and needed tweaks.

I'd love a copy of all the internal documentation on the hopper, there'd be plenty of neat tricks to learn

Last edited:

hopperhead

Not trying to be a dick but it's too easy. You keep mentioning thing's that aren't even close to being what you sugguest they are..That's all no hard feelings

hopperhead,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I seem to have started a spiral down a brief rabbit hole, but thank you anyway, @Vapor_Eyes for your suggestion.

The front end isn't insulated from the body, which is pumping data and power at alarming rates into the enclosure.

Who fuckin knows with these things.
As you so often do, you've hit the nail on the head.

Like a car body is part of it's own electrical system (the 'ground' side), an og/io's body is part of the circuit. So, when you attach the front end, it is also part of the circuit though not a vital one. The unit will power on just fine without a front end.

My 'problem ti' described earlier today responded very well to further compressed air treatment.
omg that sounds so timely...

but, ah, the further cleaning of its' internals via use of compressed air worked and I'm back in the saddle again.

And thanks again to @VegNVape for the cautions about canned dusters and what's in them.

@hopperhead I'd prefer to be welcoming you to the forums but don't look now your are starting to exemplify, "I'm not trying to be a dick but it's too easy."
One of the really good things about FC is member's willingness to be nice to each other, even if it smarts a little. But I'm no moderator...
Peace.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I seem to have started a spiral down a brief rabbit hole, but thank you anyway, @Vapor_Eyes for your suggestion.

As you so often do, you've hit the nail on the head.

Like a car body is part of it's own electrical system (the 'ground' side), an og/io's body is part of the circuit. So, when you attach the front end, it is also part of the circuit though not a vital one. The unit will power on just fine without a front end.

My 'problem ti' described earlier today responded very well to further compressed air treatment.
omg that sounds so timely...

but, ah, the further cleaning of its' internals via use of compressed air worked and I'm back in the saddle again.

And thanks again to @VegNVape for the cautions about canned dusters and what's in them.
I’m glad to hear it’s working again.

Baron23

As you say, back when it launched it was (and still is) sexy and impressive. I have personally (a few years ago) walked thru a security station, had my glasses case opened, viewed and shut and the guy didn't blink an eye. Some people have assumed it's a pen or maybe a laser pointer. Just speaking to your perception that nobody thinks it's a pen.

Of course stealth is a matter of degree.

I also think it's not a particularly smelly vape, and I currently live in a house where smell matters...

Other than the supply chain glitches (major!) I'm not too unhappy with the battery being proprietary. Lately I almost never take the battery out, just pop it on the standard charger after most uses. Having multiple hoppers is the better answer for me, a heavier user.

Imo, Grasshopper's Achilles Heel is the fact that it can not stay clean internally over time. I believe this eventually fucks with the heat sensor and possible other components -- and certainly the draw resistance.

Yesterday I decided to blow out (with canned air) my nicest og, a ti that's been running great since last serviced in Oct. '19. The draw resistance was noticeable, so it was time. Since then, it won't heat up; quick flash of red then straight to blue (with clicking!) but no heat develops. Did I break it using one of HL's prescribed maintenance procedures? Crap, I think this means heat sensor issue (though I'm no hopper doctor).

I do agree that the io seems as much or more like a revision than a new product.
I happen to still applaud HL's efforts and stick-to-it-tive-ness. They are working their way inexorably toward the original vision and goal, it just hasn't been very graceful...

EDIT:
I am still working on reviving the downed ti.
In fairness to HL and recommended method: I forgot to swab out the chamber before blowing it out. I may have forced some particles intom the heater area. I have just swabbed with a lot of alcohaol and blew it out some more** and there are signs of life -- some heat and an easier draw, so I may be getting somewhere here. Will report back later. I had almost talked myself into a new 420 vape!

**Thanks to @VegNVape for pointing out to me that most air in a can is not simply air, but contains a lot of nastys. Having already used it once yesterday to break the ti unit, I'm able to rationalize using again today. But it probably should not be widely used around breathing equipment, like lungs...
You blew the air into the intake holes and not into the oven directly, right?

ssrrosey

@vapviking i see your point about the car but even on a car there are parts that wouldn’t be part of the circuit... most of the car in fact. I would liken the front end more to a spare tire hanging on the back. It’s part of the car, connected, but essentially just a hunk of material.

Anecdote or not it worked for me and I’d be curious to hear if it works for @vapviking too.
I think this is why me and some others have been getting a bit annoyed. We’ve disproven the claim that this works. It didn’t work for you and it won’t work for anyone else. It’d be like saying ”I ate a PB&J and when I tried it again afterward it works. Maybe try eating a PB&J” I am happy your hopper is working, but it’s just meaningless advice to give other people.

Who fuckin knows with these things
My assumption is that the chamber IS in fact insulated from the body and backend somewhere around the heater. Regardless I am 100% sure that having the front piece on or off doesn’t prevent it from starting up or cause a “reboot.” I proved this point by posting a video of QC from hopper labs themselves. Let’s move on from this.

On a new topic, does anyone know when the early shipment (no battery) iO are going out? My only other vape is broken so I’ve been smoking for the last week or so :( been seriously considering getting a dynavap during this sale if it’s going to be another week or more but if it’s the next couple days I’ll hold off. Haven’t heard back from HL about it

Last edited:

JoeKickass

Those who want to get their Hopper io shipped out now without a battery see below.

4. If you choose to have it shipped now we won't ship you a battery later.
Not a very cool move, the custom batteries are $14 and it only costs you a few bucks to ship them separately.

pity that the Hooper do not use normal 18650 batteries. that would be a lot better
I always thought the next generation hopper would be a fatter version using 18650 batteries. chamber could have made a little flatter/wider like the way the plenty is, miss that device. this would also make the vapor path just a little bit longer. I would be all over this.
I don't like custom batteries.
This company has had so many problems come from the decision to use custom batteries, using them again in their second product is simply incredible.

AW's IMR 18650 can put out 80+ watts, lasts 4x longer, is available everywhere, and it's cheaper too.

Top Bottom