Discontinued Hopper io

JoeKickass

Daily and then some. Just keep the temp down - for me it’s the upper 2s and occasional low 3 to finish - and it works just fine. Before my RMA I was running it a full temp increment higher with marginal results. And I only own the native frontend too until purchasing a PFE on the new site (a questionable donation if you ask me but I wanted to help proof the site and throw them a little business along the way too).

Can you get hits like my video? If so then my friend you have some fireproof lungs!
I like to hit it on temp notch 2 as well, but the ideal dial setting can vary from unit to unit.

I just tried hitting it bare again to make sure I wasn't just being a wuss... nope, my tongue and throat get seriously burned lol. I hit it again with my straw and got at least 3x bigger hits, try it!

This coil from the Plenty vape is what got me using the GHV again, and ultimately ended up replacing my Cloud EVO! It's cheap too, just look for "Plenty Wear & Tear Set", this is an ideal companion to the GHV, and Jyarz fit right inside! GHV should really look into selling something like this:

20200215-112027.jpg
20200215-112124.jpg
20200215-112152.jpg

JoeKickass,

Poostuff

Please delete
Go easy guys, it’s just a pic showing how a Hopper can fit into your little sexy shorts & that you can still rock a midriff top if you carry a Hopper.

That guy skiing would probably also be wearing sexy little shorts & flashing his midriff too but he can’t because he’s in the snow.

To be fair to us they should probably also have included one of a guy in his mom’s basement excitedly opening a Hopper.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Can you get hits like my video? If so then my friend you have some fireproof lungs!
I like to hit it on temp notch 2 as well, but the ideal dial setting can vary from unit to unit.
I didn’t see your video and my vapor production is very good (better than pre RMA, that’s for sure, and more consistent extraction too). I don’t use a silicone tip either except on occasion. My sweet spot is 2.8 nearly every time. My lips don’t burn at all any longer. Admittedly my throat gets dry on occasion but I just lower the temp a bit then. All good as my repaired unit works all too well. :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I didn’t see your video
We have all heard many times now how well your repaired unit works but I don't think that's really the point at the moment.
He posted a video along with his pics of Plenty whip/Hopper use. It's what the started brief discussion about cooling options, in which you've been participating.
I think his point is that he loves the setup and he wonders if with native use you get the same kind of huge clouds in a single hit that he does, as is often the case with any kind of vapor cooling or humidifying aid.
I didn't watch the video (wouldn't be my cup of tea either), but I believe his system is working well for him.
I have been enjoying both native use and water use with an inline bubbler, from which I can enjoy larger hits if I want them. I do like options and variety of strains and methods!

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
More Info:

• New battery contact with self-cleaning prongs
Raised bumps with squared-off edges scrape the surface between the contact and battery when you turn the dial or unscrew the backend. The many Grasshopper units we saw after use showed build up in this area. Any amount of debris or gunk in this area will drastically affect performance and battery life. The new contacts greatly reduce the prevalence of this problem.

• Increased spring pressure on battery contact
More spring pressure creates better contact throughout the backend. All the power transfer surfaces that are not already now welded, soldered or eliminated benifit from this.

• Backend threading now made from Brass
Brass threads mesh better with the threads on the Ti and SS bodies. This creates a better electrical interface and also has a smoother action.

• Eliminated 5 interfaces of potential power loss over time
• Gold plating added to every internal power transfer surface
• Solder connection between PCB and Spring assembly
• New Gold Plated springs
Gold plating and the elimination of power transfer interfaces have drastically reduced the amount of energy lost within the backend. Again this directly translates to better performance and better battery life. These changes also improve reliability within the backend.

• New Direct Contact PCB design
The PCB has undergone a redesign to allow the power contact to be directly on the board itself. Less chance for problems overtime and a better connection.

• Black plastic Overmolded into Tickmarks and on button side
• New clip cover with Indicator Tick mark also with black plastic overmold
• New Dial rotation mechanics
The Dial and Clip areas have been completely redone. There is black plastic overmolded into the tickmarks, +- symbols and the selection mark. This creates a slick look and is higher visibility for adjusting the temperature more accurately and quickly. No more squinting to see the dial.

• Added Kapton disk
• Adjusted button click
• Changed button contact

Minor changes related to improving reliability over time.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
All of the updates and improvements sound great.

I'm curious about backwards compatibility. Given that the threading will allow a Grasshopper body to accept a Hopper io back end or front end, will these arrangements function at all, or even maybe incrementally better that an og because a 'better' back end is on it?
The same questions apply to the possibility of io body with og back end on it.

Hey, we know everyone who can try this will try this. I hope one component is not allowed to destroy another due to customer curiosity!

At minimum, I'm hoping the new (tweaked) front end will work on my og.

I have certainly benefited from swapping parts among my Grasshoppers, especially in the interests of testing or of keeping one high functioning while multiple others are shaky or in for protracted hospital stay. There may be some help to og owners if there is compatibility, maybe some chance to transition in stages, one component at a time, to this all-new(?) model.

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
In the interest of continuing to allow users to switch parts in and out, we went through great effort to make the parts and chargers backward compatible.

Yes, you could make a Grasshopper better with an io backend. Some features you won't be able to access because the old backend will detect the older Grasshopper chamber assembly but you would still get many of the benefits I discussed in my last post. That said don't get your hopes up about being able to buy just an io backend soon, as all of the production will be going into the new whole units. We will offer them in the future once we have a handle on production.

The FE will work fine on your older units. The changes are very small.

vapeverythingnyc

In the interest of continuing to allow users to switch parts in and out, we went through great effort to make the parts and chargers backward compatible.

Yes, you could make a Grasshopper better with an io backend. Some features you won't be able to access because the old backend will detect the older Grasshopper chamber assembly but you would still get many of the benefits I discussed in my last post. That said don't get your hopes up about being able to buy just an io backend soon, as all of the production will be going into the new whole units. We will offer them in the future once we have a handle on production.

The FE will work fine on your older units. The changes are very small.

I recently got an improved backend in the mail and boy-oh has it improved my ‘legacy’ hopper body. I can’t imagine nor can I wait for the power of the IO!

Michel

More Info:

• New battery contact with self-cleaning prongs
Raised bumps with squared-off edges scrape the surface between the contact and battery when you turn the dial or unscrew the backend. The many Grasshopper units we saw after use showed build up in this area. Any amount of debris or gunk in this area will drastically affect performance and battery life. The new contacts greatly reduce the prevalence of this problem.

• Increased spring pressure on battery contact
More spring pressure creates better contact throughout the backend. All the power transfer surfaces that are not already now welded, soldered or eliminated benifit from this.

• Backend threading now made from Brass
Brass threads mesh better with the threads on the Ti and SS bodies. This creates a better electrical interface and also has a smoother action.

• Eliminated 5 interfaces of potential power loss over time
• Gold plating added to every internal power transfer surface
• Solder connection between PCB and Spring assembly
• New Gold Plated springs
Gold plating and the elimination of power transfer interfaces have drastically reduced the amount of energy lost within the backend. Again this directly translates to better performance and better battery life. These changes also improve reliability within the backend.

• New Direct Contact PCB design
The PCB has undergone a redesign to allow the power contact to be directly on the board itself. Less chance for problems overtime and a better connection.

• Black plastic Overmolded into Tickmarks and on button side
• New clip cover with Indicator Tick mark also with black plastic overmold
• New Dial rotation mechanics
The Dial and Clip areas have been completely redone. There is black plastic overmolded into the tickmarks, +- symbols and the selection mark. This creates a slick look and is higher visibility for adjusting the temperature more accurately and quickly. No more squinting to see the dial.

• Added Kapton disk
• Adjusted button click
• Changed button contact

Minor changes related to improving reliability over time.

I totally get why HL discontinued the hopper and started a new product line with the hopper io. It’s a smart strategic step to get a second chance for a first impression after the hopper fiasco and to ramp up sales again at the same time.

But seriously, most improvements of the io should have been implemented in the original Hopper since at least 3 or 4 improvements they stated out (battery connection, back-end threading, solder connection, power loss over time, etc) are key features to create a reliable og hopper which delivers constant results.
I really hope they have succes with the io but I strongly feel left behind as a customer of the first hour. stuck with an “unfinished” device delivering inconsistent results.

sad, because when the hopper works like it should it’s one of my favorites...

vapeverythingnyc

I totally get why HL discontinued the hopper and started a new product line with the hopper io. It’s a smart strategic step to get a second chance for a first impression after the hopper fiasco and to ramp up sales again at the same time.

But seriously, most improvements of the io should have been implemented in the original Hopper since at least 3 or 4 improvements they stated out (battery connection, back-end threading, solder connection, power loss over time, etc) are key features to create a reliable og hopper which delivers constant results.
I really hope they have succes with the io but I strongly feel left behind as a customer of the first hour. stuck with an “unfinished” device delivering inconsistent results.

sad, because when the hopper works like it should it’s one of my favorites...

send it in for inconsistent performance if you’re unhappy. You’ll end up with an upgraded backend and will not feel left out anymore.

fogbank

I am actually excited about the plastic molded into the back end and battery clip. Sure it doesn’t move the performance meter, but it corrects something that has always bothered me about the OG Hopper. It’s the only vape I own that I need to put my reader glasses on so I can read the temp dial. ;)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
send it in for inconsistent performance if you’re unhappy. You’ll end up with an upgraded backend and will not feel left out anymore.
This is in part my strategy, to try to keep all of my og's working as long as they are supported. But no new warranty requests being accepted for several months now, and when they do open the portal it could get crazy again with very long wait times.
Okay, I might try to see if I can get a twofer, a double discount two towards one io. I am a bit disappointed because it seems that even that move will require additional cash outlay beyond two broken Grasshoppers...
Or maybe swap something old toward an io back end...

I am so, so glad about the backwards compatibility. It is already going a long way toward helping me accept the change to io and to feel not-so left behind and I can feel more excited about the new generation. So, thanks for that to @Hopper Labs , and to all the peeps who've been working on these for years now.

slozukimc

This is in part my strategy, to try to keep all of my og's working as long as they are supported. But no new warranty requests being accepted for several months now, and when they do open the portal it could get crazy again with very long wait times.
Okay, I might try to see if I can get a twofer, a double discount two towards one io. I am a bit disappointed because it seems that even that move will require additional cash outlay beyond two broken Grasshoppers...
Or maybe swap something old toward an io back end...

I am so, so glad about the backwards compatibility. It is already going a long way toward helping me accept the change to io and to feel not-so left behind and I can feel more excited about the new generation. So, thanks for that to @Hopper Labs , and to all the peeps who've been working on these for years now.
I have a problem with folks thinking the folks at Hopper Labs owe them all of the upgrades going into the IO just because they bought a Hopper with a lifetime warranty. A working Hopper yes. They deserve that. But to expect all of the upgrades free of charge is too much. That is like saying “Hey I bought an Iphone a long time ago, I should get a new one free when they upgrade to a new model.” Ot just doesn’t work like that.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I have a problem with folks thinking the folks at Hopper Labs owe them all of the upgrades going into the IO just because they bought a Hopper with a lifetime warranty. A working Hopper yes. They deserve that. But to expect all of the upgrades free of charge is too much. That is like saying “Hey I bought an Iphone a long time ago, I should get a new one free when they upgrade to a new model.” Ot just doesn’t work like that.

It has been so tiring to be a 'hopper fan these past 4 months since I've owned one because of attitudes like this from people.

Kinda rude to treat their CS person rudely and talk a lotta crap, but then expect them to jump at the first opportunity to give you stuff. Imo it's not surprising HL had to be coaxed into coming back here considering I'm sure the abuse the last CS person had to deal with was worse.

slozukimc

It has been so tiring to be a 'hopper fan these past 4 months since I've owned one because of attitudes like this from people.

Kinda rude to treat their CS person rudely and talk a lotta crap, but then expect them to jump at the first opportunity to give you stuff. Imo it's not surprising HL had to be coaxed into coming back here considering I'm sure the abuse the last CS person had to deal with was worse.
I still would like to see HL step up with some sales vs warranty returns numbers. If the serial numbers are any indication of the volume of Hoppers sold then they have sold a LOT of them. We see a lot of folks bitching online but, as most of us know, the unhappy piglet squeals the loudest.

Kermitt

@Hopper Labs
I'm in Boulder for a week in September. I would like to buy the io directly from you. Is that possible? And if so, can I find your new location via Google?

Kermitt,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I have a problem with folks thinking the folks at Hopper Labs owe them all of the upgrades going into the IO just because they bought a Hopper with a lifetime warranty.
After the hell that has been Hopper Labs CS from the very start I'd say anyone who has stuck with them this long deserves that and a whole lot more. There are literally people who have been waiting LONGER THAN A YEAR for HL to fix the vaporizer they already paid for.

I wouldn't expect a small company like HL to be able to provide the upgrades to everyone at no charge, but that doesn't mean I think original Hopper owners don't deserve them.

Screenshot-2020-02-19-12-46-43-95.png

What other company would get away with that many repairs on a single person's account? And this is my NEW account with about a third of the requests I had on my old one :lol:

Last edited:

slozukimc

After the hell that has been Hopper Labs CS from the very start I'd say anyone who has stuck with them this long deserves that and a whole lot more. There are literally people who have been waiting LONGER THAN A YEAR for HL to fix the vaporizer they already paid for.

I wouldn't expect a small company like HL to be able to provide the upgrades to everyone at no charge, but that doesn't mean I think original Hopper owners don't deserve them.

Screenshot-2020-02-19-12-46-43-95.png

What other company would get away with that many repairs on a single person's account? And this is my NEW account with about a third of the requests I had on my old one :lol:
I think what Hopper owners do deserve is much better CS than you have received and an upgrade to the best updated Hopper parts required to have a properly functioning Hopper. No more, no less. That is standing behind the product. Asking for all of the upgrades going into a new model is too much.

Michel

... to have a properly functioning Hopper...

There’s the rub. But I feel we won’t find a solution here so we should keep our fingers crossed and hope HL will have succes... and they’ll improve the OG hopper in the future to have a consistently functioning Hopper one day.

Michel,

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
I often feel as though "Customer Service" is confused with a result the customer wants. We do provide pretty good service, always answering emails and requests but maybe not always with the answers people want. There is such a high expectation for "just send me a new one" these days. Our model was never built to accommodate that. It is on us to communicate that better.

I don't feel as I will change any minds here about whether or not we are doing the best we can, but I will say this.
It is painfully obvious to anyone, especially us, that broken units, long warranty times, missed delivery dates, and unsatisfactory results for users are the number one thing holding us back. With that in mind, please understand that the decisions made are in the interest of surviving to provide continually better service. Without that, there is no service. It is economically infeasible to provide everyone brand new units or give huge discounts on the io for those with warranty issues.

If we were making massive profits and ignoring service, that would be one thing. But we have repeatably communicated this is not the case. We are a tiny team serving a considerable number of people on a razor-thin budget. Retrospectively the Grasshopper should have cost more; we could have provided "better service" in the long run. The first 5k Grasshoppers were sold for $99. It cost more than that to make them(excluding development costs), we are still supporting them with a lifetime warranty, upgrading them with each new generation of parts.

I am in no way meaning to say that all of the above were not errors made by our team. We created this situation, but we are doing everything we possibly can do to make it better for you, our customers.

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
There is such a high expectation for "just send me a new one" these days. Our model was never built to accommodate that. It is on us to communicate that better.

A device which is not repairable but designed for throwing away and offering a new one is a crime and should be forbidden in general. You're doing absolutely right here and anyone who offends you for this policy is a fool.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I often feel as though "Customer Service" is confused with a result the customer wants. We do provide pretty good service, always answering emails and requests but maybe not always with the answers people want. There is such a high expectation for "just send me a new one" these days. Our model was never built to accommodate that. It is on us to communicate that better.

I don't feel as I will change any minds here about whether or not we are doing the best we can, but I will say this.
It is painfully obvious to anyone, especially us, that broken units, long warranty times, missed delivery dates, and unsatisfactory results for users are the number one thing holding us back. With that in mind, please understand that the decisions made are in the interest of surviving to provide continually better service. Without that, there is no service. It is economically infeasible to provide everyone brand new units or give huge discounts on the io for those with warranty issues.

If we were making massive profits and ignoring service, that would be one thing. But we have repeatably communicated this is not the case. We are a tiny team serving a considerable number of people on a razor-thin budget. Retrospectively the Grasshopper should have cost more; we could have provided "better service" in the long run. The first 5k Grasshoppers were sold for $99. It cost more than that to make them(excluding development costs), we are still supporting them with a lifetime warranty, upgrading them with each new generation of parts.

I am in no way meaning to say that all of the above were not errors made by our team. We created this situation, but we are doing everything we possibly can do to make it better for you, our customers.
Well stated.

Uridium

So I was faced with the decision to wait for my warranty hopper back or take the offer of $80 off the io.

I have opted for the io for the following reasons:
I’ll get it quicker than my warranty one.
It seems like a lot of upgrades went into the io, well explained here.
It was a beast with the OG heater, 70w is going to be another level!
The io has to be more reliable - given the upgrades.

Yeah $80 off isn’t making me really happy but let’s cut em some slack - they are doing their best with some previous bad luck.

Honestly I couldn’t sleep knowing there was a better hopper than mine anyway...

I would buy an 18650 hopper in a heartbeat - hopper batteries are always going to be a PITA.
Let’s have a modular Hopper Max with standard 18650 batteries and various mouth pieces; cooling, short path and water adapter etc...

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
It is painfully obvious to anyone, especially us, that broken units, long warranty times, missed delivery dates, and unsatisfactory results for users are the number one thing holding us back.
...caused by initial design flaws and/or poor quality control. The former has improved considerably and the latter mostly however you can’t stop with that. QC must continue and improve - find the issue before the customer. Faulty units out of the gate or RMA’d units sent back not working or improperly working is the result, not the cause. I do think HL is going to do well with the io IF the enhanced design and quality are there from the beginning. Time will tell. I look forward reading about (and perhaps seeing) the initial io units being released in the wild. I’ll be cheering for HL from the sidelines...:peace:

Top Bottom