Discontinued Hopper io

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh weird, I guess this is what they have been working on?? Paper for oils, I haven't looked at it yet, sounds odd... Excited to hear something about a cooling tip though finally!!

That green looks absolutely awesome!

Haha the bud? Yeah it is a nice one! I have quite a variety to try though...

The blue hopper is also quite nice looking in person, I am glad to have a color Ti in my hands again, and it does seem to work much better than even my original blue Ti that I sold to @AJS so I imagine could be successful out and about (More so concerned about loading unloading number of hits etc and battery life in those situations though... I want to try, but it still feels like I was lying to myself, nothing is going to be an oil cartridge unfortunately lol

Yeah I have not tested very specifically, but the battery life does not seem that impressive so far is all I'll say now!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Oh weird, I guess this is what they have been working on?? Paper for oils, I haven't looked at it yet, sounds odd... Excited to hear something about a cooling tip though finally!!

Haha the bud? Yeah it is a nice one! I have quite a variety to try though...

The blue hopper is also quite nice looking in person, I am glad to have a color Ti in my hands again, and it does seem to work much better than even my original blue Ti that I sold to @AJS so I imagine could be successful out and about (More so concerned about loading unloading number of hits etc and battery life in those situations though... I want to try, but it still feels like I was lying to myself, nothing is going to be an oil cartridge unfortunately lol

Yeah I have not tested very specifically, but the battery life does not seem that impressive so far is all I'll say now!
It's funny, I check FC for the first time in months (not logged in, so I don't see notification), and the very first post I read has me tagged in it.

That Blue Ti has basically been retired at this point, and I focus on the io. The io has been treating me great, still works like the day I got it.
Only issue is I get ZAPPED if my fingers are around the holes when I click it. I just don't touch there.

I still have the original OLD batteries that I'm using for the io, so maybe the updated batteries would stop that issue.

Other than that, heatup is still instantaneous, and the only delay in getting vapor is just the oils heating up until I get vapor. The heater is there right away.

I really love this thing for the right purpose.

I may do a comparison video demonstrating the heatup/vapor product difference between the two vapes.

For those who don't follow my IG, here is a video I posted a while ago about the Hopper io heatup time.

P.S., I love the guy in the comments who's in denial about the io being faster than the OG ;)

Hope all is well with everyone!

ChooChooCharlie

Anyone know where I can find the 3d printed herb hopper loader? I had a while back and I liked it. I wanna get another one.

Delta 3D Studios!

Agreed, Delta3D has great hopper stands and loading funnels

But I think @david8613 wants the feeder. He still sells on Ebay. Search "Grasshopper Feeder"

I would post link, but it wouldn't have longevity, being an Ebay listing

MoltenTiger

I managed to twist off my chamber the other day. I used the dynacoil in the Ti io with some delta 8 concentrate which cooled and set like loctite. When I tried removing the PFE the whole front assembly came off and I finally got a good look at it up close.

In my opinion this assembly should probably be user removeable by design as it was a little gross with many fine oil covered fibers stuck to the PCB and airpath. I used a toothpick to poke much of it away.

The electrical assembly is more complicated than I expected, not only is the PCB mounted to throughole posts rising from the chamber subassembly, there are also three fine wires rising at angles from the chamber/heater and soldered through the PCB. The material that I guess is insulating the controller IC chips on the bottom of the PCB, or is otherwise holding everything together, is hard to identify.

I left the copper strip threadlock out so that I can easily reaccess the area for cleaning.

My thoughts on getting zapped by the front end is either that there is material bridging between PCB and sidewall/body, or that it is actually a heat sensation and not electrical. I've been zapped by the back end and have seen it spark from closing the circuit, the front end shouldn't have this same potential.

Shit Snacks

I managed to twist off my chamber the other day. I used the dynacoil in the Ti io with some delta 8 concentrate which cooled and set like loctite. When I tried removing the PFE the whole front assembly came off and I finally got a good look at it up close.

In my opinion this assembly should probably be user removeable by design as it was a little gross with many fine oil covered fibers stuck to the PCB and airpath. I used a toothpick to poke much of it away.

The electrical assembly is more complicated than I expected, not only is the PCB mounted to throughole posts rising from the chamber subassembly, there are also three fine wires rising at angles from the chamber/heater and soldered through the PCB. The material that I guess is insulating the controller IC chips on the bottom of the PCB, or is otherwise holding everything together, is hard to identify.

I left the copper strip threadlock out so that I can easily reaccess the area for cleaning.

My thoughts on getting zapped by the front end is either that there is material bridging between PCB and sidewall/body, or that it is actually a heat sensation and not electrical. I've been zapped by the back end and have seen it spark from closing the circuit, the front end shouldn't have this same potential.

Remember the original indiegogo design, with front end as removable chamber, yeah that would have been great!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Only issue is I get ZAPPED if my fingers are around the holes when I click it. I just don't touch there.

I still have the original OLD batteries that I'm using for the io, so maybe the updated batteries would stop that issue.
I had an io that did this and you're the first person I see that experiences it.
I think it's heat, not a shock, it develops insanely quickly and hurts!
When the body was replaced (separate issue) the problem went away.
I don't think batteries are the issue!

AJS

Calm Consistency
I had an io that did this and you're the first person I see that experiences it.
I think it's heat, not a shock, it develops insanely quickly and hurts!
When the body was replaced (separate issue) the problem went away.
I don't think batteries are the issue!
You are correct, it is heat. Sure feels like a damn shock though.

The only reason I considered the batteries is maybe the vape is trying to work harder to suck the power out and it has that insane jump in heat. Not sure though. I know nothing :)

I don't want to worry about replacing anything yet, so I just don't touch there when I click it. Very easy to avoid, annoying that it exists though.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You are correct, it is heat. Sure feels like a damn shock though.

The only reason I considered the batteries is maybe the vape is trying to work harder to suck the power out and it has that insane jump in heat. Not sure though. I know nothing :)

I don't want to worry about replacing anything yet, so I just don't touch there when I click it. Very easy to avoid, annoying that it exists though.
I never made a claim to HL about the heat either, it is 'manageable'. I was really happy it went away when that particular body went away.

The heat is the reason I slid a short length of tubing (about 3/8" long piece) on to the body, just south of the holes. It gives your finger a buffer.
Later, after that heat issue stopped being an issue, I slid the tubing up over the larger end of the pfe, and it makes a nice grip for unscrewing/screwing.
Wife and I each have this little short silicone sleeve thing on our hoppers; the subtle differences in the tubing pieces is the way we quickly tell our hoppers apart.

cliffhanger1

what the fuck is this by Maxvapor??

I wanted to order there but it doesn't work. i cannot make the payment to the end.

and maxvapor answers me this:

"Sorry, we can't do anything about the billing address match on our processor.
Rampant fraudulent orders over the past year has made this a requirement for us and you are not the only customer affected."

what is this. i am a honest person and no scammer or fraudulent.. pooh

Edit:
I waited over 1.5 years for a new production of the maxvapor kits and was often in contact with mails with him.
I also got myself a credit card a few months ago because of this purchase.
all for nothing?? that's completely arbitrary :mental::myday:

so things only happens with US sellers in the whole Vapo world !!!

Last edited:
cliffhanger1,
  • Sad
Reactions: arb

JBone65

The original GH temperature range was 266° to 410°F. The io ranges from 220° to 430°F, the range was expanded in both directions. The OG had a 44° range, the io has a 110° range. I'm getting excellent hits at both extremes with the io, so the expanded range was an excellent improvement. No doubt this expanded capability is the reason I'm getting 11 hits from every 0.19g load. Starting at level 1 and progressively hitting every half-mark, my first four hits are at 220°, 234°, 247.5°, and 261°, which are all below the minimum range of the OG. Assuming the device produces the advertised temperatures, my last 4 hits are at 416°, 430°, 430°, and 430°, which are also beyond the range of the OG. That means 8 of my 11 hits with the io are at temperatures outside the range of the OG. The tenth hit is as good or better than previous hits, tastes excellent, makes even more vapor. The io can adapt to a lot of fancy gizmos, but it is cutting edge technology right out of the box and you don't need anything else to enjoy it to it's fullest IMO. I like it better than ANY device I've ever tried, even though it's small enough that you forget it's in your pocket. You can take it anywhere, and enjoy it anytime. It doesn't smell when sitting idle. I'm not getting paid to say this, and I've never met any of the HL people, but I think the io is fucking amazing. Considering how the device has been improved, and how HL has already honored the lifetime warranty for 5 2/3 years, I am happy to give it a great recommendation. Of course there's no guarantee that everyone will enjoy the same performance I have. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)

MoltenTiger

Well I just returned home to the SS io station, and it isn't working all of a sudden. Had a couple big chambers to end off last night, and I was just looking at the ABV thinking it looked extra dark. Now the white lights just flash once on button actuation. Swapped it from mains to a battery and same story, so I brute forced it open...

Bit of a mess in there for sure:

_20210716_222509.JPG

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well I just returned home to the SS io station, and it isn't working all of a sudden. Had a couple big chambers to end off last night, and I was just looking at the ABV thinking it looked extra dark. Now the white lights just flash once on button actuation. Swapped it from mains to a battery and same story, so I brute forced it open...

Bit of a mess in there for sure:

View attachment 10346
Bummer.
I remember calling it years ago - - the internal dirt would be grasshopper's Achilles heel.
I guess that's not necessarily the root of your current issue, but...

MoltenTiger

Bummer.
I remember calling it years ago - - the internal dirt would be grasshopper's Achilles heel.
I guess that's not necessarily the root of your current issue, but...
yeah big time!
I felt pretty confident that cleaning this up might lead to some good ol' functionality, but alas.

The whole hopper package really fits a lot into a very small space. Clearly too much. What it can achieve is wildly incredible, but the brains are just way too close to the heat power, of which there is just so much.
People are getting zapped by touching the air intake section - how hot must all the sensitive electronics within be getting? Any residual heat isn't good for the battery either..

There is a better way to rig all these items together, and after all this time, it would be great to have a true evolution.

The problem with the existing design is the intricacy of the components delivering the power, and the layout of the power storage, electrical components and heating assembly. It does not need to be nearly this complex, and it still obviously fails to perform the designed for task satisfactorily over a long term.

I have no idea what is wrong with my unit, it was working and now it isn't. It gets a different LED response when using a legacy back-end, it flashes white lights. But no way to get heat out of it. Definitely very frustrating, my guess is an IC has failed due to the vast thermal cycling. SMD components aren't really built to handle it, and the hopper certainly goes beyond, say a temp controlled kettle that also often fail for the same reason. Even with the chips in the handle away from the body of boiling water heat source they are prone to failure.

The hopper design needs a heat shield for the PCB, with the added benefit potentially being an isolated path.

It could also have more info available, I would happily rework the board and it would be cool to be able to hook up to the board in general if only to change calibration parameters.

At the end of the day, it is really a disposable item and I will have to try and get multiple hot running units so that I can abuse one every 7 months or however long they last! It was a pretty amazingly good run!

Last edited:

cliffhanger1

no other had the same problem like me with paying by Maxvapor !? .. ok no problem..thx for answers ;) LOL

At the end of the day, it is really a disposable item...

yes when it works normally it is one of the best... but the time comes where the problems will come.. Unfortunately

maybe it is better not to buy the adapter for 150 dollar from maxvapor... maybe i have to think to sell my other new one Hopper too ;)

more and more people get problems

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Just received HL’s Summer Sale email. 20% off everything. It’s addressed to me, finally, instead of “Trev”. Yay. Intriguing is the Hopper Cooling Tip which I think was mentioned herein not long ago. I don’t understand how they’re offering this and a few other accessories when the battery charger and steel case (which is not electrical) haven’t seen the light of day, quality control with new and RMA’d units notwithstanding. Interesting to say the least. HL operates in mysterious ways. Love my IO after 10 flawless months and counting. TGIF to all. :peace:

ChooChooCharlie

what the fuck is this by Maxvapor??

I wanted to order there but it doesn't work. i cannot make the payment to the end.

and maxvapor answers me this:

"Sorry, we can't do anything about the billing address match on our processor.
Rampant fraudulent orders over the past year has made this a requirement for us and you are not the only customer affected."

what is this. i am a honest person and no scammer or fraudulent.. pooh

Edit:
I waited over 1.5 years for a new production of the maxvapor kits and was often in contact with mails with him.
I also got myself a credit card a few months ago because of this purchase.
all for nothing?? that's completely arbitrary :mental::myday:

so things only happens with US sellers in the whole Vapo world !!!
I've had billing vs mailing address problems, e.g., Storz n Bickel, and I had to change addresses to match. It isn't controlled by the Maxvapor business, it's rules imposed by their payment processor. And, since the bad press around vaping, several payment processing firms are refusing to service certain sectors. That may limit their options in choosing an alternative processor. Not trying to defend his business, rather offering a possible explanation

Shit Snacks

This also isn't the max vapor PA thread btw... But yeah that's not uncommon to experience issues with different billing address and shipping address, depends on the providers used, international makes things especially complicated I think... Need shipping agent?

Also I had no idea the temperature range increased on the IO, weird because my performance at the lowest level is definitely more powerful than the performance at the lowest level in my originals... So whatever I guess, just acclimating to this one lol

No response yet from them about the way mine arrived, definitely need a replacement body and battery, shouldn't have to file a warranty request since it arrived that way and I was already in communication, we shall see... I'd love to grab a cooling front end, but I have little confidence they will actually deliver them soon!

david8613

Just received HL’s Summer Sale email. 20% off everything. It’s addressed to me, finally, instead of “Trev”. Yay. Intriguing is the Hopper Cooling Tip which I think was mentioned herein not long ago. I don’t understand how they’re offering this and a few other accessories when the battery charger and steel case (which is not electrical) haven’t seen the light of day, quality control with new and RMA’d units notwithstanding. Interesting to say the least. HL operates in mysterious ways. Love my IO after 10 flawless months and counting. TGIF to all. :peace:
Is everyone on the mailing list getting this 20% coupon? I don't see anything on in my email?

david8613,

JBone65

Also I had no idea the temperature range increased on the IO, weird because my performance at the lowest level is definitely more powerful than the performance at the lowest level in my originals... So whatever I guess, just acclimating to this one lol
I mentioned some of the figures I posted up above were miscalculations.

After corrections, 5 of my normal 11 hits/load are at temperatures either below or above the temperature range of the OG. My only point is that the expanded range of the io works great.

I also agree that a fresh load on level 1 (220°F) is special. I'm guessing the lower temperature produces a different mix of compounds.

HL didn't mess around on the high end of the scale. The real benefit from the io is the way it produces heavy vapor at 430°, somehow without combustion. I reach 430° on my 9th hit, and still get a 10th and 11th. Not sure what would happen if hitting a fresh load at 430°, anyone ever try that?

I didn't receive an email with a discount recently.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Is everyone on the mailing list getting this 20% coupon? I don't see anything on in my email?

Pretty sure they go out in waves, I've seen them mentioned here before I got them myself in the past...

I mentioned some of the figures I posted up above were miscalculations.

After corrections, 5 of my normal 11 hits/load are at temperatures either below or above the temperature range of the OG. My only point is that the expanded range of the io works great.

Oh sorry you missed my only point I think, was just that I didn't realize there was a wider range with the IO (honestly I ignored what you were saying about 11 hits lol)

I also agree that a fresh load on level 1 (220°F) is special. I'm guessing the lower temperature produces a different mix of compounds.

I don't know about that, I am just me and temperature settings are pretty relative, I get thicker vapor at level one in this IO then I did with any of my OG Hopper, the herbs themselves are obviously a strong variable, but that simple math doesn't seem to make sense in my head at least lol typical for pure convection in my experience though!

HL didn't mess around on the high end of the scale. The real benefit from the io is the way it produces heavy vapor at 430°, somehow without combustion. I reach 430° on my 9th hit, and still get a 10th and 11th. Not sure what would happen if hitting a fresh load at 430°, anyone ever try that?

I actually haven't even tried the max setting yet, definitely don't want to risk any combustion like people had said, and it seems to extract well below it... I've taken one hitter bowls at 4.25 or so though

Michel

I own 3 IO’s and I bet I can tell them apart only by their performance. I wouldn’t give to much about temperature range…

My “hottest” blue OG TI performed better than my weakest IO which I never liked since I got it last year. Sadly my blue OG combusted itself after roughly 6 months.

Top Bottom