Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

exmex

Can someone make a red queen update guide for dumbies? Im not completely stupid i just need a bit of guideance. My red queen has been working awesome for 6 months and then after dropping it a few times its starting to act a little weird. Droping the heat but still saying its at 570, the heat shooting up to 1000f and staying there for a bit for no reason, its done those things 2 times each now so im hoping a good update will help it. Im also gonna open it up and check for loose wires and what not after the update. Please help.

exmex,

Peter Nincompoop

Powered By Terps
I read through a lot of this thread and I didn't see this answered - I apologize if it has been already: are other coils compatible w my red queen unit? The coil got left in another state for a few months, and I need to buy a replacement. Dnail? Augusthaus? High5?

YabbaDABBAdo

are other coils compatible w my red queen unit
Yes any coil with the standard 5 pin layout will work. I would check out @710Coils for a new coil. I own a 25mm barrel coil and it works like a champ. Also he has the best prices and the products are top notch

Just want to give a shout out to @JigMelon for “breaking the code”:clap: huge props

Last edited:

Peter Nincompoop

Powered By Terps
Yes any coil with the standard 5 pin layout will work. I would check out @710Coils for a new coil. I own a 25mm barrel coil and it works like a champ. Also he has the best prices and the products are top notch

Just want to give a shout out to @JigMelon for “breaking the code”:clap: huge props

So I can plug my high5 coil in and it won't short anything out or damage anything? Sorry for being redundant, I just want to be 100% clear.

YabbaDABBAdo

So I can plug my high5 coil

I am unsure about the high5 I can remember in the past someone used a high5 coil and it did blow a fuse or something if I remember correctly!! I wouldn’t use the high5 until someone on here can confirm that it won’t mess anything up. I may be completely wrong but as a precaution I would look for more info

So say I plugged in a high five 20mm barrel coil into my hexnail while turning it on for the first time. It turned on briefly then there was a small sizzle and pop. Would replacing the fuse return my nail to working order?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...16&cp=2568443.2568454.2632226.2632270.2632274
You likely fried the thermocouple in the coil. The pin layout for High5 has the TC on the first 2 pins. While the Hex-nail, IIRC runs the AC through the first 2 pins.

Here’s the post I thought I remember it’s on and around page 81

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST DAM* PHONE

Last edited by a moderator:
YabbaDABBAdo,
Reactions: Hogni

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
So I can plug my high5 coil in and it won't short anything out or damage anything? Sorry for being redundant, I just want to be 100% clear.

I was just checking out High Five's site, and it looks like it is NOT compatible with the DNail standard layout.

However, they do sell an adapter that allows you to use your High Five coil with a DNail standard controller.

JigMelon

Hey yall, thanks for the heads up. I've reached out to them so many times over the past few months, and they have had numerous opportunities to respond. Due to their lack of correspondence, and the server being shut down, I'll prepare a dirty image of a working install so you can flash that and get back to business. My personal information will be removed, as will their AWS information. I'm still planning on making a tutorial for starting with a clean Armbian install, but this should do for the immediate future. I'll need to finish this up tomorrow morning.

YabbaDABBAdo

Well it looks like the server is back up and running! not sure what the issues are about but I just double checked mine and i’m connected and able to view dashboard settings and tuning just not able to install the update yet

I was on able to do this an hour ago

EDIT.... now it is not working it loaded once but now won’t refresh
re edit....it dose work for me but only the first time i type the web page in the address bar and then when it times out it won’t reload so i have to close out of everything and start over but works

Last edited:
YabbaDABBAdo,

friedpiper

Always blazin' new trails..
Hey yall, thanks for the heads up. I've reached out to them so many times over the past few months, and they have had numerous opportunities to respond. Due to their lack of correspondence, and the server being shut down, I'll prepare a dirty image of a working install so you can flash that and get back to business. My personal information will be removed, as will their AWS information. I'm still planning on making a tutorial for starting with a clean Armbian install, but this should do for the immediate future. I'll need to finish this up tomorrow morning.

Yessss, thank you so much for this, and all of your work! I've decided to jump in myself on the DIY and ordered the list of parts, and should all be here next week. I've also already received Orange Pi in a couple different variations- Zero and One. Also got some RPi B+ as well, and have been playing with 64 bit images. I'll post further on your new thread as the rest of my goodies show up, and am hoping to be able to contribute to the project. Hopefully a lot.

My linux skills are obviously not up at your level, but I've been learning quite a bit for the last year or so, and have also been learning Python coding including building GUI's. I love building and tinkering with hardware and software both. A native bluetooth app of our own would be so rad, and maybe the HN-01 image or binary, and anything applicable etc could help me/us also, if it ends up being legally shareable of course..

I was not able to SSH into my HN-02, or get root access, but I don't have the SD card or board out of it yet. I'd really like your help to get it updated and locked down though, especially after reading about potential security concerns. I did get the tarball downloaded though, but haven't tried to compile anything yet. Super reluctant to open mine up, mainly because it is still functional, and also because it's a mess of shit in there (seen the pics, ugh) :o The scariest part is that right in the packaging of the OPi Zero to give it a lil ventilation.

At least I've got mine stuck at the optimum Liger Air temp since the web app is down! Cheers

GOD710

Nice one jig thankyou so much just turned it on and no webapp then see your message :) cant wait to sort it out.
Im guessing we will be able to connect to the device directly or will be hosted on router still ?

GOD710,
Reactions: JigMelon

JigMelon

@YabbaDABBAdo It worked for you at first due to browser caching; it's definitely down.

@friedpiper I'm still going to be making a release intended for DIY units, but the upload I'll be making later today will work on any RQ unit; OG or DIY. I'll post that there later on. For now my priority is getting existing owners a working unit, without needing to have any experience with linux. Looking forward to working together in the other thread!

@GOD710 With the image I'll upload for you guys, you'll be able to connect to the HN via WiFi and use AP mode, OR connect the HN to WiFi and control from another device on the network. Unfortunately there is no way to use both ethernet and wifi at the same time with the firmware, but I'll go over what changes are necessary to use ethernet for those who want that (not today, though).

Big shout-out to @nickmo for commenting on my behalf. I appreciate the privacy, but I'll go into more detail; it actually was not work-related. I had planned on finishing up the image when getting home from work yesterday morning, but I had a small seizure at the end of my shift, so obviously that didn't happen lol I've been in the hospital for about 28 hours now. No need to send wishes, I know there are plenty of +vibes around here! EEG and MRI were good and they think it was a high dose of one of my antidepressants mixed with sleep deprivation and stress at work. Other than my bitten up tongue, I feel 100% - Can't drive though :(

Anyway, I got my laptop for the next few hours hence my writing of this. I don't have my Orange Pi, but I will be finishing up the image within a few hours of getting home (which should be in 2-4 hours). Thank you all for waiting and not jumping to conclusions, and I'm really sorry for missing all the dates I mentioned previously!

GOD710

@YabbaDABBAdo It worked for you at first due to browser caching; it's definitely down.

@friedpiper I'm still going to be making a release intended for DIY units, but the upload I'll be making later today will work on any RQ unit; OG or DIY. I'll post that there later on. For now my priority is getting existing owners a working unit, without needing to have any experience with linux. Looking forward to working together in the other thread!

@GOD710 With the image I'll upload for you guys, you'll be able to connect to the HN via WiFi and use AP mode, OR connect the HN to WiFi and control from another device on the network. Unfortunately there is no way to use both ethernet and wifi at the same time with the firmware, but I'll go over what changes are necessary to use ethernet for those who want that (not today, though).

Big shout-out to @nickmo for commenting on my behalf. I appreciate the privacy, but I'll go into more detail; it actually was not work-related. I had planned on finishing up the image when getting home from work yesterday morning, but I had a small seizure at the end of my shift, so obviously that didn't happen lol I've been in the hospital for about 28 hours now. No need to send wishes, I know there are plenty of +vibes around here! EEG and MRI were good and they think it was a high dose of one of my antidepressants mixed with sleep deprivation and stress at work. Other than my bitten up tongue, I feel 100% - Can't drive though :(

Anyway, I got my laptop for the next few hours hence my writing of this. I don't have my Orange Pi, but I will be finishing up the image within a few hours of getting home (which should be in 2-4 hours). Thank you all for waiting and not jumping to conclusions, and I'm really sorry for missing all the dates I mentioned previously!

Sweet as dude AP mode sounds fine to me i have old smartphone i can use for it directly then i can fianlly take the thing to canna cups :D no more GOD needs wifi to dab jokes haha. Ethernet not a issue for me if i can connect and control outside of using WIFI. Only other option i would like to have in future is Bluetooth option, we spoke about it before and we could just attach a dongle but would need your help with the edits to assign the dongle. Ah dude hate to here that there's trouble while your working on this we are all very grateful and i would like to offer some my extracts as a thankyou as my device is currently dead last i used it to clean so the temp control is kaput for the time lol. Im in Amsterdam so just let me know if you do want some :D

buddingglasshead

Well-wishes all the same, @JigMelon. Hope you are back in sorts soon. Stress is powerful and dangerous.

Agreed. Take your time. You have no obligation to anyone to clean up someone else's mess. Don't let this add to your stress. :)

Thankfully most people just set it and forget it so they'll still be able to use their's in the mean time. I broke the nail I was using with my RQ2 so I'm definitely in no rush. Excited to have it properly working in the future though.

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
I'd still love it if someone with a good copy of the HN-01 1.2.10 SD or .iso would share it with me to try.

Mine stopped working on Thursday. This one made it a couple of months longer than the first did, but still lasted less than a year.

Same.
My HN-01 is (knock on wood) still going strong, but I would like a back-up if things go caddy-wompus.

VaporScript

Same.
My HN-01 is (knock on wood) still going strong, but I would like a back-up if things go caddy-wompus.

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

My HN-01 locked up approximately 6 or 7 months after purchase from too much information being written to the card, due to a software problem according to Ava. I returned the unit to Ava and she installed a new card. She also stated the pending software update would fix whatever was causing too much information to be written to my card. Unfortunately, the update never happened.

Although my unit performed perfectly, I stopped using it once HexNail ceased to exist (in fear I would load up the card again with no support).

@JigMelon did an outstanding job of providing instructions of how to clone the SD card using Clonezilla (post #2241). I downloaded Clonezilla long ago, however, I am a little overwhelmed by the process and given I only have one working card, I did not want to risk ruining it if I made an error trying to clone it.

Btw, I wish @JigMelon a speedy recovery and am extremely grateful for all the time and effort he has graciously expended on this. And I feel bad posting a message about this while he is down, but I wanted to reply in response to @alittledabwilldoya' and @antiburn . I hope there is someone else who might be able to lend a hand for those of us in need of a backup card. I would not expect assistance without paying for someone's services.

Again, wishing @JigMelon all the best!

JigMelon

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I got the image finished up:

https://mega.nz/#!jcxlgKoS!kph6_HrUNripEptfQd3SJajGZafxkXwdKaAPaC3aPMk

I suggest using Etcher to write that to a card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

That image contains the partition table; using that image along with Etcher is the easiest way to get back in business. It should work on any card 8GB+. Possibly a 4GB, but I have not tried.

Note, this is ONLY for RedQueen units. The HN-co's AWS credentials have been removed, so this will NOT work with the official server even if it does come back up. I strongly suggest making a complete backup of your card before proceeding.

Write the image to the SD card, put the SD card in the Orange Pi, turn it on. Once the WiFi network appears, connect to the network:

Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP

Once connected, you can go to any of these addresses:

1 - 192.168.142.1:8890 - Webapp

2 - 192.168.142.1:8710 - WiFi Setup

If you would like to use it on your network instead of in AP mode, just connect it to WiFi via the WiFi setup page and replace 192.168.142.1 with the IP assigned to the device by your router when typing in the address.

If anyone would like to login via SSH to look around or make changes, the password for the root and hexnail accounts is "hexnailpass". Please note, this is NOT a secure environment. If you intend on bringing your device to events and connecting it to a public network, I would suggest that you adjust the sshd_config and change the password for all accounts, at the very least. The ssh configuration in this image is less secure than on an official image, and intentionally so. Additionally, if you would like to lock down the device's hotspot, you'll need to look elsewhere for guidance.

Also, the rootfs has been shrunk to make this easier to upload/download. If you would like to expand the partition to fill your SD card, there are excellent tutorials available by searching "expand rootfs". Be sure to use a tutorial that is not RasPi-specific, as you may be missing some of the tools they mention. For most of you, you don't need to worry about this. If your SD card ever fills up, you can simply re-flash it.

@antiburn @alittledabwilldoya' @VaporScript I have a working image from @scalescliffs - you may want to ask him. I haven't taken the time to remove his info and that of the HN team from the image, so I won't be sending that to anyone just yet. I haven't spent any time on the Skynet that I got from @Samson so I don't have any info other than that right now.

@PoopMachine "Soon"!

TLDR for AP-only:
  • Put the newly-flashed microSD card into your HN-02 and turn on the device
  • Connect to the network "Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP" on the device from which you wish to control the HN-02

GOD710

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I got the image finished up:

https://mega.nz/#!jcxlgKoS!kph6_HrUNripEptfQd3SJajGZafxkXwdKaAPaC3aPMk

I suggest using Etcher to write that to a card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

That image contains the partition table; using that image along with Etcher is the easiest way to get back in business. It should work on any card 8GB+. Possibly a 4GB, but I have not tried.

Note, this is ONLY for RedQueen units. The HN-co's AWS credentials have been removed, so this will NOT work with the official server even if it does come back up. I strongly suggest making a complete backup of your card before proceeding.

Write the image to the SD card, put the SD card in the Orange Pi, turn it on. Once the WiFi network appears, connect to the network:

Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP

Once connected, you can go to any of these addresses:

1 - 192.168.142.1:8890 - Webapp

2 - 192.168.142.1:8710 - WiFi Setup

If you would like to use it on your network instead of in AP mode, just connect it to WiFi via the WiFi setup page and replace 192.168.142.1 with the IP assigned to the device by your router when typing in the address.

If anyone would like to login via SSH to look around or make changes, the password for the root and hexnail accounts is "hexnailpass". Please note, this is NOT a secure environment. If you intend on bringing your device to events and connecting it to a public network, I would suggest that you adjust the sshd_config and change the password for all accounts, at the very least. The ssh configuration in this image is less secure than on an official image, and intentionally so. Additionally, if you would like to lock down the device's hotspot, you'll need to look elsewhere for guidance.

Also, the rootfs has been shrunk to make this easier to upload/download. If you would like to expand the partition to fill your SD card, there are excellent tutorials available by searching "expand rootfs". Be sure to use a tutorial that is not RasPi-specific, as you may be missing some of the tools they mention. For most of you, you don't need to worry about this. If your SD card ever fills up, you can simply re-flash it.

@antiburn @alittledabwilldoya' @VaporScript I have a working image from @scalescliffs - you may want to ask him. I haven't taken the time to remove his info and that of the HN team from the image, so I won't be sending that to anyone just yet. I haven't spent any time on the Skynet that I got from @Samson so I don't have any info other than that right now.

@PoopMachine "Soon"!

TLDR for AP-only:
  • Put the newly-flashed microSD card into your HN-02 and turn on the device
  • Connect to the network "Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP" on the device from which you wish to control the HN-02

Hi jig,

Thabks so much for this just went and opened it up and what a complete mess theres glue everywhere!! So much that i cant even see a slot for the memory card lol

*edit*

Found it, it was covered in glue the oppistie side of the usb port. There is soooooooo much glue its crazy i just had to take a bunch off just to get to the card, ive broke one wire connection to the little black box attachted the bigger black box. I have removed the glue around and will try resolder and if not the parts info is on the back. Wish me luck!

Other than them two wires everything else is pretty strong. Im going to have to upload a photo and show u guys its crazy!

*edit2*

So few more dabs and more glue taken off i found @JigMelon diagram and foudn the component the ssr, it had two pins so i will have order another as my pins are in some detached glue lol. im going to clean the F out of this

Last edited:
Top Bottom