Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

YabbaDABBAdo

Thanks to @JigMelon i’ve got my queen running in AP mode!!!still some little kinks to be worked out but at least its operational now. There is an issue connecting via Wi-Fi for some reason it won’t connect to a network, but Jig.. has the same issue and he will be working on it

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
If someone can tell me the best way to make the images, I have 3 different HN-01 software setups/cards including a "fresh" never booted version that I strongly feel that although there are a few (at least 3 for sure) internal revisions of the Skynet hardware, this may be the best current candidate available for future work/bug fixes.

@JigMelon You the man! can't wait to try this out later

GOD710

Thanks to @JigMelon i’ve got my queen running in AP mode!!!still some little kinks to be worked out but at least its operational now. There is an issue connecting via Wi-Fi for some reason it won’t connect to a network, but Jig.. has the same issue and he will be working on it

It doesnt try to connect or just doesnt show completed connection ? I know mine had to be close to the router and wouldnt tell me if the connection completed, could only tell when restart normally took 2 or 3 attempts and was the main reason why i never disconnected it lol

GOD710,

YabbaDABBAdo

It doesnt try to connect or just doesnt show completed connection ? I know mine had to be close to the router and wouldnt tell me if the connection completed, could only tell when restart normally took 2 or 3 attempts and was the main reason why i never disconnected it lol
It does try to connect and occasionally picks up my router but when i try to connect it says
“received intermediates status.. ssid; associated: false lan ip”
I am now right next to my router and it is not picking it up the main network but it picks up another network that is different then my home but when I go to hit connect after I’ve typed in the password it says what i quaoted above and when i go to turn off the light bar from blinking light blue the steady state compensator turns on and the light bar stays blinking

Oh yeah btw it looks like someone “busted a nut” all up inside my red queen and Skynet lmfaoo someone got excited

Last edited:
YabbaDABBAdo,
Reactions: GOD710

GOD710

It does try to connect and occasionally picks up my router but when i try to connect it says
“received intermediates status.. ssid; associated: false lan ip”
I am now right next to my router and it is not picking it up the main network but it picks up another network that is different then my home but when I go to hit connect after I’ve typed in the password it says what i quaoted above and when i go to turn off the light bar from blinking light blue the steady state compensator turns on and the light bar stays blinking

Hmm defo not the same problem then as its giving you the error sssid is the name of the router and the lan ip would be the given ip. Ah so when your in AP mode it just stays blinking ? And is this with jigs new flashed OS or you not touch that ?

YabbaDABBAdo

Hmm defo not the same problem then as its giving you the error sssid is the name of the router and the lan ip would be the given ip. Ah so when your in AP mode it just stays blinking ? And is this with jigs new flashed OS or you not touch that ?
yes my AP mode stays blinking even when turned off in settings and when i try to turn off the light bar off in settings the solid-state compensator turns on?
and yes this is with jigs flashed new OS

It does try to connect and occasionally picks up my router but when I go to hit connect after I’ve typed in the password it says quote Received intermediate status lanIP associated false SSID

Last edited by a moderator:
YabbaDABBAdo,
Reactions: GOD710

JigMelon

@ensabbahnur If you're on Linux or OSX, the easiest way would be with dd, though I cannot promise you won't rek your SD card:

Code:
sudo dd bs=4M status=progress if=/dev/sdX of=/some/dir/hn01.img

Replace sdX with the tag corresponding to the SD card. If you're on Windows, check out Win32 Disk Imager

I am able to reproduce the issue that @YabbaDABBAdo is getting, and it is exclusive to my image. I'll have to look further into that and I'll post a fix when I have one. It should be a simple fix, I just haven't had a chance to look into it. I probably wont be able to look into it until Wednesday night, so you'll have to deal with AP mode for now; sorry!

@GOD710 What parts list are you using? Can you send me a picture of what broke off? I responded to your PM too; feel free to send the picture there or here.

GOD710

It does try to connect and occasionally picks up my router but when I go to hit connect after I’ve typed in the password it says quote Received intermediate status lanIP associated false SSID

Good testing :D good to hear jig will take a look! thanks dude ive pm'd the part etc

GOD710,

Square4Life

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I got the image finished up:

https://mega.nz/#!jcxlgKoS!kph6_HrUNripEptfQd3SJajGZafxkXwdKaAPaC3aPMk

I suggest using Etcher to write that to a card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

That image contains the partition table; using that image along with Etcher is the easiest way to get back in business. It should work on any card 8GB+. Possibly a 4GB, but I have not tried.

Note, this is ONLY for RedQueen units. The HN-co's AWS credentials have been removed, so this will NOT work with the official server even if it does come back up. I strongly suggest making a complete backup of your card before proceeding.

Write the image to the SD card, put the SD card in the Orange Pi, turn it on. Once the WiFi network appears, connect to the network:

Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP

Once connected, you can go to any of these addresses:

1 - 192.168.142.1:8890 - Webapp

2 - 192.168.142.1:8710 - WiFi Setup

If you would like to use it on your network instead of in AP mode, just connect it to WiFi via the WiFi setup page and replace 192.168.142.1 with the IP assigned to the device by your router when typing in the address.

If anyone would like to login via SSH to look around or make changes, the password for the root and hexnail accounts is "hexnailpass". Please note, this is NOT a secure environment. If you intend on bringing your device to events and connecting it to a public network, I would suggest that you adjust the sshd_config and change the password for all accounts, at the very least. The ssh configuration in this image is less secure than on an official image, and intentionally so. Additionally, if you would like to lock down the device's hotspot, you'll need to look elsewhere for guidance.

Also, the rootfs has been shrunk to make this easier to upload/download. If you would like to expand the partition to fill your SD card, there are excellent tutorials available by searching "expand rootfs". Be sure to use a tutorial that is not RasPi-specific, as you may be missing some of the tools they mention. For most of you, you don't need to worry about this. If your SD card ever fills up, you can simply re-flash it.

@antiburn @alittledabwilldoya' @VaporScript I have a working image from @scalescliffs - you may want to ask him. I haven't taken the time to remove his info and that of the HN team from the image, so I won't be sending that to anyone just yet. I haven't spent any time on the Skynet that I got from @Samson so I don't have any info other than that right now.

@PoopMachine "Soon"!

TLDR for AP-only:
  • Put the newly-flashed microSD card into your HN-02 and turn on the device
  • Connect to the network "Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP" on the device from which you wish to control the HN-02
You are the FN MAN!!! Thank you for all you have done up to this point. I now have a Hexnail with a working AP Mode. I bought this damn thing last November 11/26 and was finally able to use it for the first time yesterday. Thank you again!

Is the webapp this best/only means of connectivity? I thought there was an app being discussed at one time but not sure if it ever came to light OR if it would even function with the current build.

Regardless, I'm super stoked! Now the hot glue mess inside....did not leave me so stoked. I always wondered why they acted so weird anytime I would mention just sending me a replacement SD card that I could swap out myself. Now, I know lol

antiburn

Thanks to @scalescliffs I was able to try his HN-01 image. With my HN-01 his image runs, but doesn't see the coil is connected, even if I try using my other know good coils. Maybe mine has a different chip for the thermocouple?

Today I found my sd card actually could still manage to randomly boot sometimes. I tried using Clonezilla again tonight and it was still having errors (with a dirty bit and free blocks not matching) and failing to write the image. The image was able to finish successfully once I finally let it fix both of the errors. I still couldn't get Clonezilla to try and write to any of my local drives like it did the first couple times I tried it, but it did work with an extra usb thumb drive. I then wrote this image to my new SD card and now my HN-01 is working again!

Big Thanks to @JigMelon and @scalescliffs!

buckhakeesah

Does this confirm that an HN-01 can be reset to factory if things go awry if we get the correct SD-card/image?

buckhakeesah,

friedpiper

Always blazin' new trails..
@JigMelon The Red Queen-1000 "dirty" software image works great in AP mode in my HN-02 unit, and it seems to be keeping steadier coil temps. Sorry it's taken a while to test it.. When I get the unit more secure later this week, I will try hooking it up to my network and try to test out the homekit functionality. Big ups to you for all of your efforts and achievements on this so far! You're one smart mofo! :sherlock::leaf:

ItWasaGoodDre

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I got the image finished up:

https://mega.nz/#!jcxlgKoS!kph6_HrUNripEptfQd3SJajGZafxkXwdKaAPaC3aPMk

I suggest using Etcher to write that to a card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

That image contains the partition table; using that image along with Etcher is the easiest way to get back in business. It should work on any card 8GB+. Possibly a 4GB, but I have not tried.

Note, this is ONLY for RedQueen units. The HN-co's AWS credentials have been removed, so this will NOT work with the official server even if it does come back up. I strongly suggest making a complete backup of your card before proceeding.

Write the image to the SD card, put the SD card in the Orange Pi, turn it on. Once the WiFi network appears, connect to the network:

Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP

Once connected, you can go to any of these addresses:

1 - 192.168.142.1:8890 - Webapp

2 - 192.168.142.1:8710 - WiFi Setup

If you would like to use it on your network instead of in AP mode, just connect it to WiFi via the WiFi setup page and replace 192.168.142.1 with the IP assigned to the device by your router when typing in the address.

If anyone would like to login via SSH to look around or make changes, the password for the root and hexnail accounts is "hexnailpass". Please note, this is NOT a secure environment. If you intend on bringing your device to events and connecting it to a public network, I would suggest that you adjust the sshd_config and change the password for all accounts, at the very least. The ssh configuration in this image is less secure than on an official image, and intentionally so. Additionally, if you would like to lock down the device's hotspot, you'll need to look elsewhere for guidance.

Also, the rootfs has been shrunk to make this easier to upload/download. If you would like to expand the partition to fill your SD card, there are excellent tutorials available by searching "expand rootfs". Be sure to use a tutorial that is not RasPi-specific, as you may be missing some of the tools they mention. For most of you, you don't need to worry about this. If your SD card ever fills up, you can simply re-flash it.

@antiburn @alittledabwilldoya' @VaporScript I have a working image from @scalescliffs - you may want to ask him. I haven't taken the time to remove his info and that of the HN team from the image, so I won't be sending that to anyone just yet. I haven't spent any time on the Skynet that I got from @Samson so I don't have any info other than that right now.

@PoopMachine "Soon"!

TLDR for AP-only:
  • Put the newly-flashed microSD card into your HN-02 and turn on the device
  • Connect to the network "Hex-Nail--RQ--1000--AP" on the device from which you wish to control the HN-02

Can anyone give me an idea of how long and how labor intensive this process is? Not the most handy dude out there, so I fear dismantling my Red Queen might lead me to break something that I can't fix myself.

ItWasaGoodDre,

GOD710

Fixed her :) working in AP mode finally I can use this without wifi!
I do however also have the light flashing issue, tho jog is fixing this i belive
Big thanks again to @JigMelon

Can anyone give me an idea of how long and how labor intensive this process is? Not the most handy dude out there, so I fear dismantling my Red Queen might lead me to break something that I can't fix myself.

I did break something but could easily of not done this if i knew where exactly the sd card was. Open it up and its the far right under the raspberry pi. mine was glued in so had to use some toenail scissors to get it out. Cleaning the glue on the other components is where i went wrong as some of there soldering is really weak and then covered in glue

Last edited:

Square4Life

Yeah the location of the SD card is NOT ideal. I gently pulled on the components in the way until the hot glue released from sidewalls/bottom until I was able to rotate the side of the board up and eject the sd card. Once re-flashed, I inserted card and got everything back in there like it was (pretty easy with the 'mold' of hot glue everywhere lol) and all is working great.

Just be gentle and watch the wires as you are pulling on them. Don't let anything get to taut.

Square4Life,

notslim1

tl;dr My HN01 used to connect to WiFi no problem a lot in the past but now I can't get the GUI to load on PC even though it says the HN01 is connected to my network.

I have had my HN01 since September and I have only had it lock up on me a few times. Twice the unit completely froze up, the GUI stopped functioning on the unit and had to be rebooted. The coil stayed hot while locked up.

Three or four times now I have lost WiFi connectivity although the unit says is connected in Settings. This problematic option does not affect the performance of the unit. Generally in the past I have had to go in to Settings and forget the WiFi network. Then the unit locks up at a spinning "working" icon and never recovers.

Hard kill and reboot fixes that issue and in Settings the HexNail shows not connected to a network as it should.

I have to repeat that process to reconnect to Wifi. Settings/wifi/select network/enter pw/unit locks up with "working icon"/reboot/connected. I think only one time when I first got the unit did it connect to WiFi and return to the Settings Menu naturally.

The last couple times I have tried to fix the WiFi connection I have to repeat this process of disconnecting WiFi, hard killing the unit and rebooting then reconnecting to WiFi but these recent attempts have failed to load the GUI on my PC.

Anyone have any information that could help me maintain a reliable connection would be fantastic.

Also one other thing I'm curious about with the boot cycle is how occasionally before the boot is complete I get flashed a few moments of what looks like a Chrome browser windows that says "no internet connection" or "unable to connect"

Thanks for any helpful insight.

notslim1,

Goodie20

Hey guys so I don’t know what’s up but I didn’t start my hex nail for a day or 2 and I can’t load the box on the app... just says “connecting ...” and it’s doesnt blink green so it’s defintiley not my WiFi

Goodie20,

nickmo

Mine is disconnected right now since they shut down the public servers. I need to take it apart and install the OS update, right now I can't change temp or anything, but with the update it can run without the server. Ordered an SD Card from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX29S9Q/) and going to attempt that soon...

nickmo,

Goodie20

Please let me know how it turns out , my buddy had to replace an SD card in his HN-01 so I got the hands to do it , just need to know if you get it going

Goodie20,

buckhakeesah

Damnit, I'm down now since yesterday. Rejected by local host or some shit like that. I think I even had my wifi turned off. Any tips on what to do next to troubleshoot? I'm gonna open this B now.

buckhakeesah,

buckhakeesah

My opened hn01. I cleaned up the web of hot glue. Mine wasnt so bad hehe. Now Ill attempt at messing with getting a new sd card in there. Mine boots/ starts and says"localhost refused to connect". Doesn't go anywhere else from there.
440ma.jpg

buckhakeesah,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Mine is disconnected right now since they shut down the public servers. I need to take it apart and install the OS update, right now I can't change temp or anything, but with the update it can run without the server. Ordered an SD Card from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX29S9Q/) and going to attempt that soon...

been using mine like this for a few months now... really don't wanna deal with the mess that's undoubtedly inside to update it though... :rip:

muunch,
Reactions: Hogni

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
My opened hn01. I cleaned up the web of hot glue. Mine wasnt so bad hehe. Now Ill attempt at messing with getting a new sd card in there. Mine boots/ starts and says"localhost refused to connect". Doesn't go anywhere else from there.
440ma.jpg

That doesn't look too bad.
My HN-01 is still going strong.
I run mine unconnected to any network; does anyone else do this?

I hope your SD swap gets you up and running.

Top Bottom