Herbie V2 by Vape Engineering - 510 dry herb vaporizer

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
From my earlier post #327

“ADDED: The Herbie came fairly clean, UNTIL.... I was able to unscrew the INNER metal chamber, got a lot of grey junk on my 99% ISO rag. Good thing to clean this area before using, as I anticipate it being harder to unscrew as resin vapor builds up over time, and to unscrew it, means using my pinkie finger, this was one area I was mildly concerned about after watching the Herbie assembly videos.”
I find same shit with Dynavap and SV-2,TM and also with new stainless cookware. I think it is tiny dust from manufacturing. Maybe @Vape Engineering should upgrade/prolong the ultrasonic cleaning process like the TM guy did and maybe add hand polishing after ,or at least advise the users to take care of it.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Ah but if it's a different order, then it's a different parcel. Your atty is probably held by your country Customs somewhere, don't you have a vape mail order ban in the US atm? Maybe you fell into the small percentage of parcels that are actually inspected and don't just pass through the net.
Yeah my shipping box had clearly been opened but the product box from VE was unmolested.

Dug up an old 14mm j-hook and some S&B dosing capsules and and a first go with just wattage on the Paramour.

The hits and flavor were decent but I was babying the half full capsule (e.g. opening it to poke or stir every hit or two, starting low and only bumping a watt or two at a time from 30 to 38W) and the abv was still super uneven with some bits dark and others too green to cache guilt-free. Wattage effects were quite nice but I'd never really fuss with a capsule portable like this: it defeats the whole purpose.

The mouthpiece screen still got dirty using the capsules too and I agree with @Razhumikin about the coarse screens. In general I was drawing slow to medium and hitting the fire button a second time for hits about twenty seconds long. I'll try the Paramour in tc next or Arctic Fox on a Rim C next to see how it goes with a mod and firmware I know better.
PXL-20220119-184216393-2.jpg

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I find same shit with Dynavap and SV-2,TM and also with new stainless cookware. I think it is tiny dust from manufacturing. Maybe @Vape Engineering should upgrade/prolong the ultrasonic cleaning process like the TM guy did and maybe add hand polishing after ,or at least advise the users to take care of it.

Indeed, that’s why it’s ALWAYS ADVISED to clean any new vape gear BEFORE use. Since you never know....

While the Herbie V2 was designed by VE, I’m 99% sure, like everything else these days, manufactured in China. Built to a price.

Momor

Mighty pods don’t fit into my TM stems, not sure how you are using them
I drop the capsule where the stem goes. It sits directly on the heater screen then i insert carefully the stem on top of it. Works perfectly for me.
I also don’t believe one can make direct comparisons to how these perform on different devices, as there are other variables.
Sure there are other variables but i was just responding to what you mentioned below
I believe the main problem with using the pods designed for the “conduction” S&B Mighty, is the HOT AIR is being drawn mostly THROUGH the SMALL number of HOLES in the top/bottom of the pods
So imho the ""main problem with the capsule shouldn't come from conduction vs convection or the small holes it has as those tow factors stay the same when using those caps in a Tetra P80 or TM for exemple, and it works pretty well. It certrainly comes from other variables (like the poor performance of the Herbie overall 😅 )
The hits and flavor were decent but I was babying the half full capsule (e.g. opening it to poke or stir every hit or two, starting low and only bumping a watt or two at a time from 30 to 38W) and the abv was still super uneven with some bits dark and others too green
Got the same results no matter what i tried, even like you by stiring after each hit. I finished all the bowls i tried in my TM and each time got 1 or two big clouds between 7 and 10 on the dial so appart from the uneven color it's also totally unevenly extracted.

Still waiting for my coil to arrive (or even be sent ?!).

I also find weird that @Vape Engineering seems to not follow the launch of their new product ?

RustyOldNail

I drop the capsule where the stem goes. It sits directly on the heater screen then i insert carefully the stem on top of it. Works perfectly for me.

Sure there are other variables but i was just responding to what you mentioned below

So imho the ""main problem with the capsule shouldn't come from conduction vs convection or the small holes it has as those tow factors stay the same when using those caps in a Tetra P80 or TM for exemple, and it works pretty well. It certrainly comes from other variables (like the poor performance of the Herbie overall 😅 )

Got the same results no matter what i tried, even like you by stiring after each hit. I finished all the bowls i tried in my TM and each time got 1 or two big clouds between 7 and 10 on the dial so appart from the uneven color it's also totally unevenly extracted.

Still waiting for my coil to arrive (or even be sent ?!).

I also find weird that @Vape Engineering seems to not follow the launch of their new product ?

It’s just my current theory. Since my NON POD tests so far are UNEVENLY EXTRACTED, maybe I’m wrong. Next tests will involve switching from the supplied mesh screen heater coils, to the Clapton coils used in the Stempod device. Maybe being located further down, will help....

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
After a few test runs, my experience matches almost exactly with @Razhumikin . And thank you for the settings. I like this little guy a lot in some ways but it has a long way to go to replace my favorite 510s. The beads are actually pretty good for me, and jayhook with no beads is also good. It always takes me a few days to get a feel for a device or break it in so we'll see. I still prefer it in wattage too.

There was an early comparison to the Tinymight which I don't see at all. Don't know if it is because I don't have a paramour mod, but nothing about this device reminds me of the TM, for good or bad.

To be clear, I think my $100 was well spent, it's just not the GOAT.

Razhumikin

As a quick update to my previous post, I've found using just the top of an S&B capsule on top of a layer of herb to be an effective chamber reducer that is easier to handle than a regular pipe screen. Herbie is working well with even extraction with this method

fangorn

"Message of hope" to those who are slowly but surely drawn towards the dark side of the force... (tender humor huh!?)

After a few days of use, I got my best results today, on 2 capsules. it was rewarding.
I had 5-6 draws on these last capsules, I had 2 nice clouds per capsule, more uniform AVB and more complete extraction... a carbonized nano particle* on the last test... but, it's not my fault, I always want more too...!
* I want to clarify that since the beginning of my tests, these mini black particles are not prohibitive... sure, the taste of the last puff is not great, but it has nothing to do with a whole bowl which charred... and it doesn't spoil the taste of the next capsule... I've never washed my HerbieV2 before and I'm really sensitive to the burnt taste!

I ran 5 or 6 capsules today. @Spleeeno 's advice is good!!
Aligning the airflows with the resistance makes a lot of sense and I think it has greatly helped the uniformity of my AVB.
I haven't changed anything else between this afternoon and this evening... (uh, if after reflection I put a little more material...)
Afterwards, there is always the speed and the intensity of the draw which varies... but I am starting to find the way...
I think this last point will limit the effectiveness of our joint research and our sharing of experiences...
you can set exactly the same as the neighbor, but it will be impossible to copy the suction...
I think everyone will need a bit of experimentation to find the most suitable settings for them...because suction plays an important role here in my opinion...

I still share haha!
-Aspire Mixx Box
-30.3W
- SS S&B style caps
- Draws of about 13s (stop when I "feel" the "right" heat)
-2/6 open airflow holes,
-Airflow positioned in the extension of the resistance,
-battery full

There you go, and I agree with @Grass Yes
I am happy with my purchase !
It's not the GOAT (since totally subjectively, it's obviously Federer) but I didn't expect it to be!
and for the learning/adjustment curve...i'm lucky to see it as a game...so all good!

So thank you for this product @Vape Engineering

Happy vaporizing experimentation to all!!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Welp, the good news is mine finally arrived, tracking for USPS finally updated to show it was in New York yesterday evening and today it is here in California, package unopened by customs fortunately!

However, like @Momor mine is missing the heater, so it is 100% useless to me, just a paperweight, I have essentially zero interest in trying to build my own heater even though those materials do seem to be included...

Hopefully @Vape Engineering come back in here, I don't feel like trying to email them, but I probably should, though I am also a little concerned about how they are going to ship just the heater on its own, like maintaining its integrity, etc. and installing it myself...

Womp Womp :shrug:

Last edited:

ConvectCode1

Herbie showed up today. Definitely not worth the wait IMO. The Stempod Si 2.0 with home built coils is leaps and bounds better. Strike two. Enjoy the device folks. Message me if you want an extra Herbie V2 at a good deal. Oh hey I’ve also got a giant maintenance kit and a ton of cooling balls. The maintenance kit, now THAT was impressive, honestly. And S&B dosing caps are ill fitting and get jammed in there. Don’t worry, this product is beyond laughable all the way around, I won’t be posting again. This is one of the more hyped/unimpressive products I’ve come across. It’s cute how people do mental gymnastics to convince themselves it’s a decent device though. Clapton coils, or off to some sucker on Reddit who believes the hype. Enjoy the garbage fest!!
HOUR LATER EDIT:
works best using a deep rimmed basket screen from DDave mods with the herb in the basket facing up, then another .75” rimmed basket screen in the mouthpiece instead of the screen it cones with because w out dosing caps (damn things don’t fit!) the upper screen seemed to gunk up pretty quick. So I messed with it a bit in TC. Maybe I will learn to love it. I’ll still be required to stand by my garbage claim for face saving.

Last edited:

fangorn

I believe the main problem with using the pods designed for the “conduction” S&B Mighty, is the HOT AIR is being drawn mostly THROUGH the SMALL number of HOLES in the top/bottom of the pods. Not an issue in the oven of a Mighty, as it is constantly being cooked, and emitting vapor. A lot of the hot air is being directed blocked by all the metal area with NO holes.

The PODS in the Herbie V2 CONVECTION, would probably work much better if the PODS were made of SCREEN WIRE. I have some from a different device, but they don’t fit the Herbie. I have never seen any WIRE BASKET pods, the exact size of an S&B pod! :(
I just thought that the SS style S&B capsules, from Dr Vaporizer are adjustable. The bottom plate of the capsules can slide along the walls of the capsules. I think we can remove them and install a screen instead.
I will actually try it sometime! I'll let you know how it goes...

@Shit Snacks Sorry to read that !

Shit Snacks

I will gladly buy your unit.

:lol:
David

Haha thanks but it's not for sale, it was cheap enough that I don't see reason to sell it yet, hoping someday it will be useful for me... It does seem really nice otherwise, the actual metal parts at least, oh well!

PXL-20220120-211613494.jpg

I guess my osage orange iHeat will be married to this rainbow RimC mod after all (that was originally why I bought it, before I then ordered Herbie) need to get ArcticFox

Razhumikin

Haha thanks but it's not for sale, it was cheap enough that I don't see reason to sell it yet, hoping someday it will be useful for me... It does seem really nice otherwise, the actual metal parts at least, oh well!

I guess my osage orange iHeat will be married to this rainbow RimC mod after all (that was originally why I bought it, before I then ordered Herbie) need to get ArcticFox
Not to get too off topic, but now I gotta see that osage iheat...

RustyOldNail

Welp, the good news is mine finally arrived, tracking for USPS finally updated to show it was in New York yesterday evening and today it is here in California, package unopened by customs fortunately!

However, like @Momor mine is missing the heater, so it is 100% useless to me, just a paperweight, I have essentially zero interest in trying to build my own heater even though those materials do seem to be included...

Hopefully @Vape Engineering come back in here, I don't feel like trying to email them, but I probably should, though I am also a little concerned about how they are going to ship just the heater on its own, like maintaining its integrity, etc. and installing it myself...

The extra mesh wire that came with mine is just FLAT, 8” long, 1/2” wide. My Herbie came with one installed, and was slightly discolored, which impressed me, as it showed it was tested. Reports of the device missing the mesh, is bad for customer service, perhaps they rushed to ship, as he admitted earlier in this thread, he was surprised at the amount of orders. Not making excuses, he can obviously respond here. I also have some Clapton coils that came with my Stempod, which I will swap to at some point, as my testing so far has not impressed me. Personally, I can absorb the cost, as I seldom buy products that are new and untested, so at least for me, it’s no big deal, if the whole thing joins the few other duds in the dud closet. I haven’t given up, waiting for more buyers to get theirs, and report back, which is impossible to do, if the device doesn’t come with the MESH!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Or maybe while waiting for the replacement coil, you can step outside your comfort zone and fold your own, it is not rocket sceince :D...
In the e-cig world those kind of atties are knows as RBA = Rebuildable atomizers,cause you can build your own coils or install pre-built,but in either case you will have to deal with coil installation,also down the line you will have at some point to replace the heater,when that time comes ,are you going to throw it in the trash ?

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

I just thought that the SS style S&B capsules, from Dr Vaporizer are adjustable. The bottom plate of the capsules can slide along the walls of the capsules. I think we can remove them and install a screen instead.
I will actually try it sometime! I'll let you know how it goes...

@Shit Snacks Sorry to read that !

Are these the SS ones?

Yeah, let us know if using a screen in the bottom helps with better extraction.

fangorn

Are these the SS ones?

Yeah, let us know if using a screen in the bottom helps with better extraction.
yes those are the ones!
I'll try to test it over the weekend!

and @Abysmal Vapor is not totally wrong!! I understand that, in principle, it's annoying that no coil is installed... but it seems to me that @Vape Engineering made a tutorial to form a coil. this is really basic folding! And the installation is extremely easy!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yeah, I would have been pretty bummed if there had been no installed coil. I would wonder how much of the lack-luster performance was due to my folding skills. I do think it being rebuildable is great feature. I have played with coils a bit in my Shammer and like it for that reason.

So yeah, I think this device is about a B+ with wildly slow shipping (maybe I picked a cheap option?) and not great Quality Control. Hope they get you a coil soon @Shit Snacks .

On the plus side, I'm pretty sold on TC on the Herbie. Seems like I can get the consistent results, especially if I load the bowl up pretty full. It's still no Splinter but it has been fun to test over a couple of days.

Joie de Vivre

Yeah, I would have been pretty bummed if there had been no installed coil. I would wonder how much of the lack-luster performance was due to my folding skills.
That's my experience atm, and I have yet to get to grips with TC on any atty - but the response was promising so I'll be patient. (Meanwhile the Paramour is looking sweet with a DW Glow 18 - battery cap goes on after the atty is in place and it's still tight; another Glow 18 didn't fit, so it's a chance thing.)

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Mine was sitting in the cold mailbox when I got home this evening, along with two other packages (damn you VAS, I was only able to fight you off for a few days to start the new year). I was planning to let it sit all night, let it get warm and toasty and adjust to it’s new environment, and open it up at some point tomorrow. But the combination of reported missing coils, and an early start and late return home tomorrow will make me open it up now and at least take a peek. Otherwise I’d be having all day visions of a potential $100 lemon waiting on me at home. Wish me luck.

Edit: Attaching a picture of the Herbie V2.5 (the newest version that comes with installed coil).

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

So they already reached out to me, messaging me here, and responding to my email, each of them pretty simultaneously separately, so yeah as I expected they are on top of it all, was not worried, and I don't mind waiting even more honestly... Yeah this is launching a new product, internationally, over the holidays no less, multitasking with the rest of your life I'd say I'm impressed with the customer service response time!

Not to get too off topic, but now I gotta see that osage iheat...

Check the thread, I definitely posted photos of it there, unfortunately they may be dead because of stupid tinypic, I will definitely post more there soon, especially for you!

The extra mesh wire that came with mine is just FLAT, 8” long, 1/2” wide. My Herbie came with one installed, and was slightly discolored, which impressed me, as it showed it was tested. Reports of the device missing the mesh, is bad for customer service, perhaps they rushed to ship, as he admitted earlier in this thread, he was surprised at the amount of orders. Not making excuses, he can obviously respond here. I also have some Clapton coils that came with my Stempod, which I will swap to at some point, as my testing so far has not impressed me. Personally, I can absorb the cost, as I seldom buy products that are new and untested, so at least for me, it’s no big deal, if the whole thing joins the few other duds in the dud closet. I haven’t given up, waiting for more buyers to get theirs, and report back, which is impossible to do, if the device doesn’t come with the MESH!

Yeah as I said they already replied and will set me up, I think they are going to send me at least two maybe more folded mesh so I will be good to go with spares and the the spare flat mesh it came with, if I get brave!

Or maybe while waiting for the replacement coil, you can step outside your comfort zone and fold your own, it is not rocket sceince :D...
In the e-cig world those kind of atties are knows as RBA = Rebuildable atomizers,cause you can build your own coils or install pre-built,but in either case you will have to deal with coil installation,also down the line you will have at some point to replace the heater,when that time comes ,are you going to throw it in the trash ?

Haha my man, I am well aware, I just don't want to mess with it, that was not why I bought this, I know these things are designed to be rebuildable whatever but that is not at all what I want out of them, being able to swap a pre-made heater is one thing, but having to also build it yourself is just not something I'm interested in doing, right now!

Top Bottom