Herbie V2 by Vape Engineering - 510 dry herb vaporizer

fangorn

@Shit Snacks
then I'll stop bothering you with that, but -okay I've been an e-cig user for a long time- sincerely it's ultra mega super simple!
folding is done in less than a minute and installation in less than 30 seconds.
this is surely the simplest tray I have encountered for installation...
you unscrew, you insert a leg, you screw. Same for the other leg. I did it during the cleaning at reception and I no longer have any apprehension. and for the preparation of the reel, the only constraint is to ensure that the different plies do not touch each other.
once you have received the one from vape engineering, you will see that it is child's play!

but, in any case, I understand your point of view!

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
I’ve looked at the manual, watched the assembly videos, been keeping up with the forum…how do I remove the coil deck from the metal sleeve/housing? Is it just press fit? I don’t want to break it out the box, but I’m not seeing an easy and obvious way to remove it like my other rebuildable 510 coils.

4everpushingaboulder

I’ve looked at the manual, watched the assembly videos, been keeping up with the forum…how do I remove the coil deck from the metal sleeve/housing? Is it just press fit? I don’t want to break it out the box, but I’m not seeing an easy and obvious way to remove it like my other rebuildable 510 coils.
It’s friction fit with orings. Screw it into the mod and give it a tug.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
It’s friction fit with orings. Screw it into the mod and give it a tug.
Thank you. I was giving it a few tugs last night and it wouldn't budge (o-rings may have been a little reluctant to release due to sitting in cold mailbox all day), I'll give it the old caveman treatment and pull it proper this evening.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

My Paramour from Aliexpress arrived yesterday and it is one sexy mod. Herbie is...somewhere lol. DHL had it leave Frankfurt on the 7th and radio silence since. That is in no way, shape, or form Vape Engineering's fault as I have had screwy deliveries with literally every delivery company that sends stuff my way.

The mixed impressions people are having is puzzling to me when there isn't that many different variables among us. I'm still excited for mine to arrive whenever DHL decides to make that happen.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Thank you. I was giving it a few tugs last night and it wouldn't budge (o-rings may have been a little reluctant to release due to sitting in cold mailbox all day), I'll give it the old caveman treatment and pull it proper this evening.
I found that it was in there pretty good so I had to gently wiggle it back and and forth to get it to come out. I don't like using my mod to remove the deck because I don't want to mess up the threads. Paranoia but there was the problem with the Predators losing their mounts.

The real pain in the ass part was unscrewing the inner shell from the housing. I finally just used the rubber butt of my iFixit Jimmy to get a little leverage on it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh yeah I had to screw mine to the mod to be able to open it and see that the heater was missing lol luckily RimC seems to have a very robust connection?

@Shit Snacks Haha,sry dude,that was just me trying to be funny ,also i bet you are not a fan of Origami either . Everyone is free to do whatever he likes ,i allow it ,especially since civilization existance is coming to its end.:lol:

All good brother, you were funny, don't worry about it, I got you, except I really should get into origami I think! ;)

@Shit Snacks
then I'll stop bothering you with that, but -okay I've been an e-cig user for a long time- sincerely it's ultra mega super simple!
folding is done in less than a minute and installation in less than 30 seconds.
this is surely the simplest tray I have encountered for installation...
you unscrew, you insert a leg, you screw. Same for the other leg. I did it during the cleaning at reception and I no longer have any apprehension. and for the preparation of the reel, the only constraint is to ensure that the different plies do not touch each other.
once you have received the one from vape engineering, you will see that it is child's play!

but, in any case, I understand your point of view!

Yeah all good, I know, I watched the video how to install the heater and I'll do it but I'm just not thrilled about that variable, and yeah I know it won't be hard to fold either, but I don't want to do it, and I'm fine to keep waiting... I'm not saying it's like too difficult I just don't want to bother lol

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Yeah hopefully @David Root can continue to dial in the config on my/his Herbie. The chamber is so obviously designed for S&B capsules, which is handy.

In my cleaning I did take the base out (I thought I needed to remove that center screw with one of the included tools but maybe not?) and I can see how someone with an ecig background might embrace a heater like this where every part is replaceable.

One thing I noticed is that you only want to snug it on to the mod since the outer body will continue to twist around its o-rings by design.

On the Paramour it's three clicks to change modes and two to edit the max wattage in TC. I chose the TCR value of 102 that was recommended a page or so back on this thread (it gives you the option to set that when you first choose TC from the triple click menu as I recall). I lowered the max wattage to 40W I think, it didn't struggle to make vapor in either mode so it seemed like a 60W max was overkill.

As somebody who mostly only sets up Splinters it seems like maybe the coil shouldn't stand so tall as to be right up near the capsule like it comes.

It's a tidy package and I liked the flavor and effects from the one capsule I did in wattage (from 30 to 38W) and the one in TC (with lower temps but in Celsius so like 170 to 190°). It just seems like the marshmallow is a bit close to the campfire and I'm not the right person to tinker with that stuff.

NimChimpsky

So my Herbie kit finally arrived this afternoon and I've spent a lot of time with it since. I am not currently planning to even attempt TCR with this one, only watts. Great build quality on the herbie (I really like the flat design of the 510 base), overall similar size as an iheat, which also fits/looks great on the tiny Paramour. Definitely got some serious tunneling with the stock mesh configuration (which was pre-installed) but I am happy to report that, at least in my case, the hot spotting seems primarily due to the stock heater config which heats up much more in the center and doesn't work that great imo.. after some frustrating bowls and failed attempts at recreating a splinter style heater with the extra mesh, I finally just made a little spiral out of some decently thick gauge wire (I think SS but maybe kanthal; resistance is around 0.5, over twice the R of the stock) and it hits soo much more evenly (even with SB cap and no stirring), plenty even for my satisfaction. I've mostly used it with a J hook or through water, no balls or drip tip. The new heater config is pretty beastly through water for me (tunneled so hard through water with the stock). I agree with Raz that the herb chamber is too large, but his idea of an sb cap lid as a reducer works great.

I highly recommend experimenting with some different coil materials/configs if you have the experience. I do think that this thing can perform well with the right heater config - I am going to try some other handmade styles and some stock claptons I have around. I wonder how much the stock mesh pattern was tested against others.. cause that one is basically unusable for me, not to mention that it wasnt even included for many. I'd like a lot more of that mesh to experiment with some other configurations. I definitely get that some folks do not have an interest in making coils themselves so I'll report back on how some prebuilt claptons perform and could even make some of these spiral types and send if someone really wanted. Cheers.

Last edited:

4everpushingaboulder

Well I may as well report in as well. I tried Herbie a couple days ago. Heater was included. Ran it about 3 bowls at 30-35w with no balls using stock screens (which are basically unusable in addition to the mesh size it’s so thin a decent load and a tamp could fold it).

even at 30w the air thru the stock drip tip was unbearable. The glass was immediately hot and I swapped it quickly for a cheap plastic tip from an atty I’ll never use. Mind you I regularly run Milaanas, splinters, and cosmic ex with a plain 3 inch wood stem no cooling.

additionally I tried to load what I would put in a basket screen on a 19mm stem and the chamber is so big the airflow just moves the weed without much if any vapor. I don’t have sb caps.

So I packed a 4th bowl a bit larger and switched to TCR with the recommended settings. Whole load combusted while it was coming up to temp.

ive tried to clean it with iso but it still stinks after 2 days of sitting there disassembled while I glare at it.

unless I’ve missed it there’s a part inside the heater base where you can’t clean. Looks like an air gap wall but my qtips don’t fit. I tried to pop it out but I’m pretty sure it’s a single piece.

after watching the past few days of comments I’m most likely gonna offer it up for sale. I’ve got a few pre made coils I could try (from the Shammer) but I’m not sure I’m investing the time.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
unless I’ve missed it there’s a part inside the heater base where you can’t clean. Looks like an air gap wall but my qtips don’t fit. I tried to pop it out but I’m pretty sure it’s a single piece.
That's the part that was a PITA to remove. If you watch the video on the first message on the thread it shows how it screws in.

Last edited:

sashka69

@NimChimpsky Looks good. I already presented this kind of coil style in the herbie v1 thread. Too bads it's not here anymore. They called it pan cake coil. It already helped on the v1 herbie. I'm sure it helps here too.

Actually I'm testing my own coil design which is a modified version of the stock mesh design from Vape engineering. Pictures will follow when more tests were successfully. First test was good.
The original mesh coil has 2 main problems:
A) too close to the herb chamber
B) hot spot area in the center
I tried to circumvent this so I made it smaller and gave it another shape.

sashka69

Well I may as well report in as well. I tried Herbie a couple days ago. Heater was included. Ran it about 3 bowls at 30-35w with no balls using stock screens (which are basically unusable in addition to the mesh size it’s so thin a decent load and a tamp could fold it).

even at 30w the air thru the stock drip tip was unbearable. The glass was immediately hot and I swapped it quickly for a cheap plastic tip from an atty I’ll never use. Mind you I regularly run Milaanas, splinters, and cosmic ex with a plain 3 inch wood stem no cooling.

additionally I tried to load what I would put in a basket screen on a 19mm stem and the chamber is so big the airflow just moves the weed without much if any vapor. I don’t have sb caps.

So I packed a 4th bowl a bit larger and switched to TCR with the recommended settings. Whole load combusted while it was coming up to temp.

ive tried to clean it with iso but it still stinks after 2 days of sitting there disassembled while I glare at it.

after watching the past few days of comments I’m most likely gonna offer it up for sale. I’ve got a few pre made coils I could try (from the Shammer) but I’m not sure I’m investing the time.

You can disassemble it. Put your pinky finger from the bottom side through the hole so it sits tight. Now you can unscrew it by turning it counterclockwise.

sashka69,
Reactions: BigJr48

4everpushingaboulder

You can disassemble it. Put your pinky finger from the bottom side through the hole so it sits tight. Now you can unscrew it by turning it counterclockwise.
You must have a HUGE pinky.

Edit so tight I cut a silicone pencil tip in half and slid it over my index finger so I could get a grip. Required a bit of rocking to get it started.

Fuck me.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
So my Herbie kit finally arrived this afternoon and I've spent a lot of time with it since. I am not currently planning to even attempt TCR with this one, only watts. Great build quality on the herbie (I really like the flat design of the 510 base), overall similar size as an iheat, which also fits/looks great on the tiny Paramour. Definitely got some serious tunneling with the stock mesh configuration (which was pre-installed) but I am happy to report that, at least in my case, the hot spotting seems primarily due to the stock heater config which heats up much more in the center and doesn't work that great imo.. after some frustrating bowls and failed attempts at recreating a splinter style heater with the extra mesh, I finally just made a little spiral out of some decently thick gauge wire (I think SS but maybe kanthal; resistance is around 0.5, over twice the R of the stock) and it hits soo much more evenly (even with SB cap and no stirring), plenty even for my satisfaction. I've mostly used it with a J hook or through water, no balls or drip tip. The new heater config is pretty beastly through water for me (tunneled so hard through water with the stock). I agree with Raz that the herb chamber is too large, but his idea of an sb cap as a reducer works great.

I highly recommend experimenting with some different coil materials/configs if you have the experience. I do think that this thing can perform well with the right heater config - I am going to try some other handmade styles and some stock claptons I have around. I wonder how much the stock mesh pattern was tested against others.. cause that one is basically unusable for me, not to mention that it wasnt even included for many. I'd like a lot more of that mesh to experiment with some other configurations. I definitely get that some folks do not have an interest in making coils themselves so I'll report back on how some prebuilt claptons perform and could even make some of these spiral types and send if someone really wanted. Cheers.

Nice feedback. You have inspired me to swap coils to the pre-built dual claptons that came with my Stempod, and are available elsewhere too. I’ll report back, as I’m still mostly interested in using this with PODS. Looks like whatever testing they did with the mesh, was INCOMPLETE. As noted in a few posts already, the mesh is probably too close to the load, creating a hot tunnel. Good to know there is hope.

A post above mentioned the inner chamber removal, which I brought up in my original feedback post......

I did not note that the included screens are FLIMSY, but since I’m testing PODS, I’ll leave them for now. The TOP screen is definitely NEEDED, even with a POD, as even a MEDIUM grind leaves bud on that screen!

Spleeeno

Horsin around

if you have a male 18mm joint around, you can jam it into the smaller chamber from below and unthread it this way.
preferably a 18mm joint you're fine with scratching up or breaking, but it worked fine for me to unthread and clean the whole thing after combustion

edit: I also have a few claptons on the way for testing :science:

Ipe17

I have had my Herbie for a week or so now.
I understand all the comments here and the people that are disappointed but I have to say that for all the 510 vapes I had or have, I went through a learning curve. The type or herb grind, the speed of the draw, how many airholes you leave open and even how the airholes align to the heater will play a role in the extraction.

I am using the Herbie on a RX mini with AF and I am getting good results. I am still playing with it and testing different settings. I tried it with a DNA mod (a College) but something was off and I changeg to AF.

But for me, the biggest problem with the Herbie at the biggining was the omhs making weird things and moving up and down all the time. I thought I had an issue with the central post so I took it apart to check lots of times. Then I realized that the problem was that my Herbie was not doing proper conexion in some of my mods (and this may be the issue with the DNA mod). It may just be my unit, I dont know. Now I screw the Herbie without the metal sleeve, just the heater base, to make sure is fully screwed in. In the Dovpo college this is very noticiable, but even doing it this way I think the conxion is not good. Also having problems with a Espion. But working fine with the P80 and the RX mini, were the omhs dont jump around. I get good vapor, even extraction and good effects. I stir the bowl once or twice per load and I dont use capsules (yet, as I may in the future). The tast is nice but I prefer the taste from a glass air path vape.

All in all, for the price tag, I think it performs very well. Being a small company, I dont expect everything to be perfect. I think with a diameter of 24mm it would fit better in the mods and have less problems. Also, for me the bowl is on the big side and I am a microdosser, so I am only using it at night when I want a bigger load, and it serves the purpose.

Oh, I almost forgot...my heater was too big and the mesh was touching the chamber screen, so I made a new one. It was very easy, but I completely agree that this is not for everybody. Some people dont want to mess with their devices, they just want plug and play and I fully understand that.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Oh so you confirm it fits inside the Dovpo College DNA60? Nice to hear that.

KeroZen,

David Root

I have an idea for coil too. Looking at the TM, it has a circular coil. We know that works.
I want to fold the end of the mesh @ a 45*. One end in the deck, and wind it around in a a circle like the pancake coil above, then fold the other end on a 45 and stuff it in the deck.

I like the mica spacing thing, will be looking for some.

David

Herbie will be here soon.

4everpushingaboulder

I have an idea for coil too. Looking at the TM, it has a circular coil. We know that works.
I want to fold the end of the mesh @ a 45*. One end in the deck, and wind it around in a a circle like the pancake coil above, then fold the other end on a 45 and stuff it in the deck.

David

iHeat uses a similar build.
From Alan’s website.

The heater section houses a unique spiral shaped heater coil made from 316 stainless steel mesh. The heater coil has a large surface area which allows for fast and efficient air heating without the need to glow. Air is heated as it passes between the heated coils rather than through the mesh. The spiral shaped coil is self supported, so it requires no insulation material between the coils to prevent electrical shorts.

LooseCucumber

Combusted my first bowl (40W, 350F, TCR 102), could hear it burning after a couple seconds, immediately dumped the bowl and iso'd everything (Green on top of load, black on bottom. Because it's a bigger bowl I probably wasted a .2). Also cross threaded onto my mod (After repeatedly un threading it to get it to seat correctly). So I'm off to a bad start, but 510's take some time

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

David

Yeah see below, iHeat uses steel mesh in a spiral, however the shape is different, it is a tall spiral that is narrower, and it has a center pin to wrap around, I'm not sure you can really do that in the Herbie at all really... TM is also quite different because it is crimped steel ribbon wrapped around a center pin with ceramic pins through it... Good luck!

iHeat uses a similar build.
From Alan’s website.

The heater section houses a unique spiral shaped heater coil made from 316 stainless steel mesh. The heater coil has a large surface area which allows for fast and efficient air heating without the need to glow. Air is heated as it passes between the heated coils rather than through the mesh. The spiral shaped coil is self supported, so it requires no insulation material between the coils to prevent electrical shorts.

Top Bottom