• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

warren0728

btw ... kevin is running a 15% off sale ... i think it ends today ... made my decision even easier!

"Get 15% off ALL of our American Made Grinders with Promo Code MERICA. This includes the new XL and Mini sizes."

warren0728,

SquirrelMaster

i'm looking at the herb ripper xl but i'm curious how the medium/fine hybrid plate works ... i definitely don't want a fine grind ... just curious how it works.

The OG HerbRipper XL "medium" plate is definitely more on the fine size. There is little difference between it and the fine plate.

From fine to coarse:
HR XL - Fine - - - BCG Fine
HR XL - Medium
BCG - Medium
BCG - Coarse
HR XL

I posted earlier how I thought the grinds would be the same for the new 2020 version but I mistook a picture of the old teeth for the new so now I'm not so sure. In the 2020 version the teeth are aligned length wise with the direction the grinder will spin. In the OG version they're horizontal. Hopefully this makes the new one more smooth as I cam jam it up a lot easier than the BCG. I wrote to Kevin many months ago with everything I observed between the two grinders so I hope some of my suggestions worked out well for the new design. Without both HR's to directly compare you wouldn't know for sure.

I'd like to see comparisons of the grinds with the 2020 version and a BCG but other than that the 2020 HR looks improved in every way.

SquirrelMaster,

nopapers_justvapors

Idk if anybody has seen these Honeypuff stainless steel grinders on Amazon. I got my hands on one today and it didn't even survive the initial cleaning. Back to Amazon it goes. Pretty disappointed because I was hoping this could be my new freezer grinder.
259a62775009ec545c9ab069757eea09480ab374.jpg

701e826ba473440e954d036a8ca4205c29f7d5f4.jpg
Old post, but I thought I'd reply anyway since I got one of these grinders like 2 weeks ago. Had what you discribe happen to me with another grinder I bought from a headshop. The Honeypuff came out fine though, what did you clean it with if I may ask? I just used some dish soap on mine.

Modnote: Edited to remove reply from quote tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
nopapers_justvapors,

warren0728

just got my herbripper 3-piece xl ... i really like it! i like the weight ... feels good in my hand ... i got the fine/medium hybrid plate and the grind is just what i was hoping for (keep in mind i've only ground a few nugs) ... the grind seems really similar to my medium santa cruz shredder ... which is what the ripper is replacing!

Obsessed 2

Does anyone have first hand knowledge and is willing to share their comparison between v1 and v2?

I owned the v1 and hated it to be honest. I felt the top loading area was too shallow, it wouldn't grind a full load, bottom collection chamber came undone depending on how I turned...

I loved the CS, build quality, benefits of SS,... Just wasn't crazy about the end result... If convinced I could see myself springing for a v2.

Thanks!

Obsessed 2,

warren0728

Does anyone have first hand knowledge and is willing to share their comparison between v1 and v2?

I owned the v1 and hated it to be honest. I felt the top loading area was too shallow, it wouldn't grind a full load, bottom collection chamber came undone depending on how I turned...

I loved the CS, build quality, benefits of SS,... Just wasn't crazy about the end result... If convinced I could see myself springing for a v2.

Thanks!
i don't have the v1 to compare to mine is the latest v2 2020 version ... but the top loading area on the herb ripper is definitely shallower than my scs ... i don't think it will be bothersome ... but i grind relatively small amounts at a time

warren0728

sorry for the double post ... too late to edit me last one!

after using it a little i think the grind is a tad coarser than my scs ... which is fine with me ... i just didn't want any finer grind than the scs ... i'm really happy with the grinder and kevin was great at promptly answering some questions before i ordered.

i just took a few pics ... here you go!

next to my santa cruz shreder medium 3-piece
herb-shredder-scs.jpg

sitting in the palm of my hand ... i like the extra width over the scs ...
herb-shredder-in-hand.jpg

the grinding chamber ...
herb-shredder-teeth.jpg

the grind ...
herb-shredder-grind.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
sorry for the double post ... too late to edit me last one!

after using it a little i think the grind is a tad coarser than my scs ... which is fine with me ... i just didn't want any finer grind than the scs ... i'm really happy with the grinder and kevin was great at promptly answering some questions before i ordered.

i just took a few pics ... here you go!

next to my santa cruz shreder medium 3-piece
herb-shredder-scs.jpg

sitting in the palm of my hand ... i like the extra width over the scs ...
herb-shredder-in-hand.jpg

the grinding chamber ...
herb-shredder-teeth.jpg

the grind ...
herb-shredder-grind.jpg

Hmmm. That looks like I'd have the same problem with that grnder that I had with my SLX 2.0....the issue in question being that I have to "finger-tip" it when grinding, because it's so short overall.

SquirrelMaster

@warren0728
What's the height of the bottom peice? Comparing to my OG XL it looks like they either they increased the "grip" height or the new version is shorter.

SquirrelMaster,

warren0728

@warren0728
What's the height of the bottom peice? Comparing to my OG XL it looks like they either they increased the "grip" height or the new version is shorter.
when unscrewed from the grinder plate the bottom piece is approx. 3/4"

when screwed into the grinder plate the height is approx. 3/8" (so increases height by 3/8") ... hope this makes sense ...

warren0728,
Reactions: Jill NYC

SquirrelMaster

when unscrewed from the grinder plate the bottom piece is approx. 3/4"

when screwed into the grinder plate the height is approx. 3/8" (so increases height by 3/8") ... hope this makes sense ...

Exact same as mine, that's good to hear. Mine has 3/16" of grip but the new model looks like it may have more. It's plenty of storage space for herb imo.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: warren0728

SquirrelMaster

I cleaned my OG XL HerbRipper's in ISO for the first time in over a year today. If I didn't brush them out often with a S&B brush like I do then they probably would have needed it sooner. I still needed to scrub a bit with a toothbrush in some areas. These brushes are the best for keeping your grinder reasonably clean. They weren't crazy dirty but I can definitely tell the difference with them being clean, much smoother motion. I put a tiny piece of wood "butter" (beeswax/mineral oil I use to condition wood) on the plastic rim of one of them to see how it affects the function overtime. I'm trying to mimic the smoother plastic ring on the BCG and initially it make turning the top piece more fluid though I hope it's not a dust magnet. With how little I applied it I'm not worried. Worst case I give it another wash.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I don't brush after grinding as it does not seem to help my 88mm Space Case much.
It gets used pretty hard,
IMG_20190523_155345.jpg

I just wait until it gets hard to turn then ultrasonic clean it in a beaker of iso (in a water bath),
IMG_20180829_152533.jpg

I then keep the iso for next time, it started this color,
IMG_20180829_190828.jpg

Now after many cycles and swishing out empty herb mason jars it looks like this,
IMG_20200715_154646.jpg

Yellow Dragon? Hehe, I will evap it down for some cart filling fun one day (when it stops cleaning)

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Yellow Dragon? Hehe, I will evap it down for some cart filling fun one day (when it stops cleaning)
Aren't you afraid this is will be too much waxes for carts? I tried several times reclaim in carts and even a winterization doesn't removes enough fats and lipids to get a clean enough solution for cart...

daoist

Are there any 3-part grinder brands that grind really fine? My mighty and my herborizer seem to like a real fine grind.
I am getting fed up with the filter screen has to much stuck keef in there. I think i rather go 3 part grinder. Any suggestions?
(photos of grind size are always appreciated).

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Are there any 3-part grinder brands that grind really fine? My mighty and my herborizer seem to like a real fine grind.
I am getting fed up with the filter screen has to much stuck keef in there. I think i rather go 3 part grinder. Any suggestions?

BCG fine plate, but to get super fine consistent (depending on the nugs) you'll want to grind upside down a bit before flipping it. This also makes it very versatile for a variety of grinds and herbs... What's great about the BCG aside from the beauty and lack of threading, is that it has side teeth that prevent it from ever locking up despite grinding upside down, still easy to turn.

I used SLX 3piece and SCS 3piece (also old SCS 4piece as a 3piece) before this, nowhere near as effective because of how they would jam up, among other things... To get super fine grind usually you would need a 2piece, but yeah it's easily done with the 3piece you'll just want to grind upside down is all... There are still quite a few grinders I have not tried, but in my own research and experience, that is the best way to get a consistent fine (or medium fine) grind.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I think i rather go 3 part grinder. Any suggestions?
As @Shit Snacks said - BCG has a consistent fine grind and turning any grinder upside down will give you an even finer grind.
Not sure how well this pic translates, but here is an old pic of grind size of all three BCG plates (only grinded right side up, so could easily be finer)

daoist

yes i also grind upside down. but the space case is still coarser as for example my storz and bickel grinder. i have two other grinders which i got both for free. but both jam easy. space case never ever jams.

I sort of look for a grinder that has the fine grind of a storz & bickel grinder, but never jams like the space case.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
yes i also grind upside down. but the space case is still coarser as for example my storz and bickel grinder. i have two other grinders which i got both for free. but both jam easy. space case never ever jams.

I sort of look for a grinder that has the fine grind of a storz & bickel grinder, but never jams like the space case.
I included space case grind pic above - I think the space case grind is somewhere in between the BCG medium and coarse plates.

daoist

i just took out the middle part of my spacecase and put the grinder part directly to the keef catcher. i grind upside down and then turn it and shake so the herb and keef fall through the holes directly into the keef catcher. works nice. lot flatter too. still thinking about buying a finer grinder.

Benson X

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all the options for grinders.

I have a (very cheap) acrylic one right now and I am not a fan: no holes for the ground herb to fall through, uneven grind, messy collection, and I wish the top/bottom compartments would thread together or connect somehow so I can easily get the ground herb in the storage compartment.

I also have an S&B grinder on the way that is included with their 'Side Kit' for the Crafty, but it may be a few weeks before I get it, since their Oakland location is closed and working with very limited staff (due to COVID).

I don't necessarily want a collection screen, since I want those trichomes/crystals to stay with the herb and I don't collect kief.

I would LOVE a solid 2-piece or 3-piece grinder that provides a consistent Medium/Medium-Fine grind, and allows for EASY and CLEAN storage (without having to set up a whole tray or area to dump all the ground herb and re-dump it into the storage compartment. I don't want to spend a ton either - something <$20-$30 is my max price range.

Any suggestions?

Benson X,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Vitolo

Vaporist
2 piece grinders are my favorite. I see no need to remove chief from my bud before vaping, and I see no need to save chief separately.
I have a couple dozen grinders.
I have the entire collection of space cases, but then I got stuck on the Santa Cruz Shredder.
My favorite grinder of all time is made by @NewVape710
It is the NewVape fine Grinder with armbands.
It is sharper than any grinder I have tried, and it works wonderfully with patients with a grip issue.

Top Bottom