Pen Focus Vaporizer

Sjassie

Thanks both of you guys for the fast reply. I read about the 420 deals but I live in belgium and can't seem to find any on European sites, with the shipping costs from USA to Belgium, the deals are much less interesting. How do I know I won't get a focus Vape of 2015? I read that you can't use the dryherbpots with them...

Sjassie,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Planet of the Vapes is a very trustworthy company but I don't know if they ship to Belgium. Maybe @stickstones would know.

I think PUFFITUP ships out of the states and they are another really trustworthy company. You could email or internet chat from their site to find out.

Either of the companies above will make sure your order is the best it can be IF they ship to Belgium.

His_Highness,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Mouthpiece was annoying me. Would clog to easy so I've removed everything and just put a screen on the herb and let the mouthpiece push it down into the oven when it's screwed on. Works perfectly. I now get great air flow and the screen doesn’t clog at all.

*edit * when I say I've removed everything i mean the original screen setup in the mouthpiece.

His_Highness

Mouthpiece was annoying me. Would clog to easy so I've removed everything and just put a screen on the herb and let the mouthpiece push it down into the oven when it's screwed on. Works perfectly. I now get great air flow and the screen doesn’t clog at all.

*edit * when I say I've removed everything i mean the original screen setup in the mouthpiece.

Yep - probably the first thing I did after the first time I used it was remove all that stuff and throw a screen over the oven. All that stuff sure did smooth things out though....maybe a little too much.

His_Highness,

SilentRunner

I will give my focus to my mom tomorrow. I hope she likes it. She has never used cannabis before but I think it can help her with her pain and to relax. I lost the manual and forgot how it works. The long press to start heating was hard to find, but now it is all fine and I wrote her a little manual since I could not find it online.
I think the focus is a good vape for seniors because it is easy to load and operate (if you have a manual). I also hope the 5 minute timeout does not bother her.

Chinook

I have a question regarding the Focus Pro burn in. Have you guys noticed any lingering odors like hot oil/plastic with a clean oven and mouthpiece out? I already had one returned. The second one has similar odors but not as bad as the first. I did burn ins around 450F and 400F.

I'm new to herbal vaping but I dealt with e-cigarette maintenance and off odors in the atomizers etc. Let's say at 400F with no herbs and clean unused chamber, am I supposed to smell anything when I bring my nose up to the open chamber? I can smell something off besides hot air, not very heavy but it's there. Without herbs loaded, how neutral are these supposed to smell?

Thanks.

MonkeyTime

I have a question regarding the Focus Pro burn in. Have you guys noticed any lingering odors like hot oil/plastic with a clean oven and mouthpiece out? I already had one returned. The second one has similar odors but not as bad as the first. I did burn ins around 450F and 400F.

I'm new to herbal vaping but I dealt with e-cigarette maintenance and off odors in the atomizers etc. Let's say at 400F with no herbs and clean unused chamber, am I supposed to smell anything when I bring my nose up to the open chamber? I can smell something off besides hot air, not very heavy but it's there. Without herbs loaded, how neutral are these supposed to smell?

Thanks.
A while back a number of us got units that had a strong silicone smell, could that be it?

korya

Hi there, long time lurker here. I got the Focus Vape (the "analog" version) yesterday and i was a bit shocked since i found a potential health risk and thought ill give a heads up:

The 18650 battery tube is totally sealed, there are no vent holes nor is there venting possible in any other way (you can blow inside the tube to check this). Normally there would be atleast some airflow over the buttons or the usb port, but the design doesnt allow that, as i said the tube is completely airtight.
I assume the Focus Vape has short circuit protection etc. , but this is still highly problematic. Batteries can fail (very rare without user error) or someone puts unsuitable battery in that cant provide the power output this unit needs (something that cant output 20A for example) and then theres a high risk that this battery will vent.

With the (failed) design of the tube and some bad luck you will ve a potential pipe bomb right in your face.
You may remember all those reports about ecig mods exploding a while back (2014-15), this was always due shorts or overload in cheap chinese mechinacal mod clones (without any electronical protections though) that didnt provide any venting.
I dont want use a design like this, as i said those batteries or circuit boards can fail if you ve bad luck without any user error.

I did a temporary fix here for myself and just used a battery cap from an old ecig mod that has 5 ventholes. Another thing what you could do is to drill 1-2 small holes on the side of the device. Another fix could be to just screw the button cap just barely in it will ve some space then, not so sure about that one though but it could work in case of failure.

I see that some of you guys were directly in contact with Focus, so maybe we should reach out again. Hope theres a better solution from the manufacturer (something like a new button cap with ventholes would be enough).

Dont want to spread any panic, but iam concerned about this issue.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Chinook

A while back a number of us got units that had a strong silicone smell, could that be it?

Thanks for pointing that. I went back and read about it. It sounds like that silicone smell was noticeable by on the outside of unit. I don't smell anything outside of the unit hot or cold. But when it's warm, I can smell hot plastic/oil when my nose is close to the chamber.

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
The price difference between the Focus and the Focus Pro is only $20. I'm not having any of the problems with my Pro that are being described here. I didn't even need to do a burn off to get good flavor so I have no doubt some improvements were made to the Pro and paying a little more for them is a good choice.

His_Highness

Hi there, long time lurker here. I got the Focus Vape (the "analog" version) yesterday and i was a bit shocked since i found a potential health risk and thought i give a heads up:

The 18650 battery tube is totally sealed, there are no vent holes nor is there venting possible in any other way (you can blow inside the tube to check this). Normally there would be atleast some airflow over the buttons, but the design doesnt allow that, as i said the tube is completely airtight.
I assume the Focus Vape has short circuit protection etc. , but this is still highly problematic. Batteries can fail (very rare without user error) or someone puts unsuitable battery in that doesnt provide the power output this unit needs (something that cant output 20A for example) and then theres a high risk that this battery will vent.

With the (failed) design of the tube and some bad luck you will ve a potential pipe bomb right in your face.
You may remember all those reports about ecig mods exploding a while back (2014-15), this was always due shorts or overload in cheap chinese mechinacal mod clones (without any electonical protections though) that didnt provide any venting.
I dont want use a design like this, as i said those batteries or circuit boards can fail if you ve bad luck without any user error.

I did a temporary fix here for myself and just used a battery cap from an old ecig mod that has 5 ventholes. Another thing what you could do is to drill 1-2 small holes on the side of the device. Another fix could be to just screw the button cap just barely in it will ve some space then, not so sure about that one though but it could work in case of failure.

I see that some of you guys were directly in contact with Focus, so maybe we should reach out again. Hope theres a better solution from the manufacturer (something like a new button cap with ventholes would be enough).

Dont want to spread any panic, but iam concerned about this issue.

Cheers.

@OF - I don't mean to put you on the spot but I consider you one of the more knowledgeable battery gear heads round these parts. Have an opinion?

@Chinook - I've got both versions of the Focus and had no bad smells or taste. As you already mentioned there was a issue a ways back with packing material with a strong smell infecting the unit. Someone thought the smell/taste issue was coming in from the outside of the unit via the air vents.

Last edited:

OF

The 18650 battery tube is totally sealed, there are no vent holes nor is there venting possible in any other way (you can blow inside the tube to check this).

You may remember all those reports about ecig mods exploding a while back (2014-15), this was always due shorts or overload in cheap chinese mechinacal mod clones (without any electronical protections though) that didnt provide any venting.

@OF - I don't mean to put you on the spot but I consider you one of the more knowledgeable battery gear heads round these parts. Have an opinion?

I've never seen this vape, but if the OPs description (Korya) is accurate he's really on to something.

I'm not comfortable with the 'pipe bomb' idea, this is more dangerous IMO. You expect a pipe bomb to blow up if you light the fuse and wait a bit, not so here.

Most of the damage seems to be burns in many cases (not real explosions), although guys have lost teeth and worse when the pressure makes a gun of sorts, using the battery tube as a barrel, and firing the works into the owners mouth. IN NORMAL USE. No 'user error' as you might define it, although I'm sure rubes run the numbers up. Sometimes guys have put charged 18650s in backwards.....with exciting results as well.

You don't really have to do anything wrong, bad luck will cover it sometimes. That's what the vents are for........

Like I said at the start, I've never seen this vape, and thinks to @korya and his timely warning I'm sure not going to rush out and get one......

This looks like a good one for avoiding to me. Lucky for us, there are other proven safe options to pick from?

FWIW this 'problem' (vapes blowing up) is one of the main excuses used by those that seek to ban stuff. The rash of 'prove you're 18 before I show you anything I have for sale' is 'lawyer talk' for how to avoid suits here from what I understand. Some kid's parents suing you because you sold Junior the evil vape. "It's for the children".

OF

Chinook

@Chinook - I've got both versions of the Focus and had no bad smells or taste. As you already mentioned there was a issue a ways back with packing material with a strong smell infecting the unit. Someone thought the smell/taste issue was coming in from the outside of the unit via the air vents.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm doing some more burn ins but like last time the smell is still lingering but a bit less though with the burn ins. My best description of the smell is along the lines of a car hood open with hot engine emitting hot oil smells. During the burn in, I smelled the air vents and yes it does have the oily smell. I wonder if some oil stayed in the components during manufacturing and not get thoroughly cleaned before assembly.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
That's issue about no venting holes is worrying me and I'm feeling totally sorry to neverhad pointed this big issue... thanks again to share your experience and knowledges @korya !!!

I'll check the Adventurer also... and I have to send an email to FocusVapes too.

MrMonss

The 18650 battery tube is totally sealed, there are no vent holes nor is there venting possible in any other way (you can blow inside the tube to check this). Normally there would be atleast some airflow over the buttons or the usb port, but the design doesnt allow that, as i said the tube is completely airtight.
I assume the Focus Vape has short circuit protection etc. , but this is still highly problematic. Batteries can fail (very rare without user error) or someone puts unsuitable battery in that cant provide the power output this unit needs (something that cant output 20A for example) and then theres a high risk that this battery will vent.

Hi,
I pointed this out in January 2016 but never had an argued answer. However if there had already been an accident I think we would have known.
The most satisfying answer I had was that there is a difference in construction and materials between an e-cig mod and a "vape mod".

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi,
I pointed this out in January 2016 but never had an argued answer. However if there had already been an accident I think we would have known.
The most satisfying answer I had was that there is a difference in construction and materials between an e-cig mod and a "vape mod".
Just noticed even my MiniVap doesn't get any venting hole in its battery pack...maybe since you can't change settings except for temperature you can't make a big mistake leading to overheat the battery. In a mod you can use the wrong battery or use some extreme settings and it can damage the battery. I'm not an expert that's only my thoughts...

korya

@PPN
I dont own the minivap but the battery pack housing does looks like its atleast partly made of (probably clipped in) plastic. I assume this is not airtight in any way, so no dangerous pressure can build up and the gases will be able to escape savely in case of a battery failure.

@MrMonss
I hope thats not what focusvape or a vendor told you, that would be pretty careless IMO. Its a bad idea in general to put a battery in a sealed metal tube, specially if its very capable one that can provide the high current for a heater in a vaporizer. For example flashlights, if build decently, will provide some venting for this case. As i said, some airflow through the usb port or the power button would be enough.
I mean the cell (LG INR) that focusvapes ships with the device is a really decent one, those will mostly just vent if something goes wrong, releasing some gas and spill abit of chemicals without much thermal runaway. A ICR or LiPo can vent more violently for example.
That we didnt heard anything yet is problaby cause of the fact that the focusvape isnt as widespreaded as for example ecig battery mods (there the reports went out of hand after cheap clones had hit the massmarket and inexperienced people started using them).

Littlebit about myself:

Iam no expert neither in this field, but ive some basic knowledge about electronics and being an avid ecig user for almost 6 years (using rebuildable atomizers,mech mods etc.) i know the battery safety 101.

A battery crapping out for some reason can happen, its rather rare and a manageable risk if handled right, but no one wants this to be happening in an airtight metal tube.

Last edited:

His_Highness

I've never seen this vape, but if the OPs description (Korya) is accurate he's really on to something.

I'm not comfortable with the 'pipe bomb' idea, this is more dangerous IMO. You expect a pipe bomb to blow up if you light the fuse and wait a bit, not so here.

Most of the damage seems to be burns in many cases (not real explosions), although guys have lost teeth and worse when the pressure makes a gun of sorts, using the battery tube as a barrel, and firing the works into the owners mouth. IN NORMAL USE. No 'user error' as you might define it, although I'm sure rubes run the numbers up. Sometimes guys have put charged 18650s in backwards.....with exciting results as well.

You don't really have to do anything wrong, bad luck will cover it sometimes. That's what the vents are for........

Like I said at the start, I've never seen this vape, and thinks to @korya and his timely warning I'm sure not going to rush out and get one......

This looks like a good one for avoiding to me. Lucky for us, there are other proven safe options to pick from?

FWIW this 'problem' (vapes blowing up) is one of the main excuses used by those that seek to ban stuff. The rash of 'prove you're 18 before I show you anything I have for sale' is 'lawyer talk' for how to avoid suits here from what I understand. Some kid's parents suing you because you sold Junior the evil vape. "It's for the children".

OF

THANKS @OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His_Highness,
Reactions: OF

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
But there has been no reported cases of any battery blowing up issues so to mark this vape as dangerous without a thorough nvestigation and or feedback from the manufacturer is unfair IMO.

korya

Puting a Li-ion Battery in a closed, 1mm thin walled metal container with barely any space left, then sucking power from it and put it near your face is by default potentially dangerous.

Honestly i feel abit sorry for the focusvape guys and at the same time iam angry at them. The design seems to be very well thoughtout, interchangeable batteries, isolated airpath etc. the feature set is really nice and you get a decent if not great vaporizer for your money.
Thats why i dont understand how someone designs such a device like this and then forget to provide any venting for the battery housing. Its just inexcusable IMO.
I also dont get why nobody from the outiside, specially (reputable) vendors, didnt recognized this flaw and its been sold for so long how it is. It should ve been fixed a long time ago, with 2 little airholes in the botton cap -.- .

I could easily do a permanent DIY fix, but i guess ill send mine back for a refund after thinking about it abit.

Last edited:
korya,
Reactions: Chinook

luke007

Hi everyone, first time posting. I had this focus vape pro since November and recently has a buddy borrow it and cracked my ceramic chamber somehow. I managed to get money back for it but wanted to do a fix it myself project. I dismantled it and was wondering if anyone knows what the wiring set up would be here. Also, I noticed there was a soldered part underneath the ceramic chamber. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Please help fellow vapers!

Top Bottom