Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
my rough and ready prototype made out of 5mm birch plywood it's just attatched to the existing lid with blu-tac at present but will attach with recessed magnets

Great idea!

So are you going to keep the aluminium lid in the finished version with the wooden lid secured to it, or are you going to go with ONLY a wooden and magnet lid in the finished skin and then discard the aluminium lid?

Tapadh leat!

p.s. -- I live in the Midwest, USA, in the Ohio Valley, which is the nation's largest geographic area and concentration of Scot/Irish folks. My wife and I are both of proud Scot descent! ; )

Last edited:
Fat Freddy,

MM1968

Great idea!

So are you going to keep the aluminium lid in the finished version with the wooden lid secured to it, or are you going to go with ONLY a wooden and magnet lid in the finished skin and then discard the aluminium lid?

Tapadh leat!

p.s. -- I live in the Midwest, USA, in the Ohio Valley, which is the nation's largest geographic area and concentration of Scot/Irish folks. My wife and I are both of proud Scot descent! ; )

Hey @Fat Freddy, great to hear from another Scot. I don't think I have the skills or tools really to make an all wood lid to replace the aluminium one and will be limiting my endeavours to a skin that attaches to the existing aluminium lid. I'm sure there are others here who have the skills to make an all wood lid to replace the aluminium one, maybe you are one such person? You can see from the pictures of the Berkshire Box Mods cases in my previous post that theoretically it should be possible. I made my prototype skin with just an offcut of of ply, a saw, drill and sandpaper. Low tech DIY.

That said, I did find some 3d Printer Files for 1590b Spacers, which you could put a wood lid on to make a swapable lid for the aluminium one. I might try that at some point. You lucky folks in the US can get them ready made on eBay, can't find them in the UK :-( This is an example. a clear spacer like this would presumably also give a bit of a light show like the Flix. If you wanted to put the guts of your Deluxe on show you could try an acrylic top like this instead of wood on top of a spacer.

Just putting ideas out there for people to try making their own skins (or full on lids) and maybe share their results.

'Skin Up' with your Fluxer. Hehe might have to make that my custom title.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Great find on the spacer. Maybe someone local is willing to print one up for you. Then you put the flat cover on the 3D print and have a full cover. Here, some libraries offer 3D printing services to people for free.

TommyDee,
Reactions: MM1968

MM1968

Great idea @TommyDee, I will give it a go when I get access to a 3D printer. I can use one at the local school, but it was closed back in March due to Covid and our schools are not reopening until 11th August. All online learning for the kids over here in Scotland just now. I'm happy to wait to try the spacers out then, meantime pottering away with the original concept. While waiting for magnets to arrive I recessed some small screw heads to just use the magnets in the Deluxe to attach the skin, but there is not quite enough pull to hold the skin stable. I think it's gonna need a thin rubber base for increased stability anyway even with magnets recessed in the skin. That said, I've found with a little push you can slide the skin a fraction and switch the Deluxe on or off, the skin then slides back into place with the magnetic pull from the Deluxe on the screw heads, which is quite cool. It does however defeat the idea of protecting the switch for transport With the right combination of magnet strengths and base material it may all come togther quite nicely, maybe be able to do a version where the switch can be activated with a push of the skin and a version where it can't, you could also do one in 3mm wood where switch is exposed. All that said, the Blu-tack is still working best so far. Low tech simplicity winning the day, just not very elegant!!

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I got a question about the variable voltage range of the Flix. The unit can be use from 8V to 12.5V, what happens when you go out of the range? I'm pretty sure if I go over 12.5V I'm gonna fry the Flix (my variable power supply can't go higher than 12.5V so I'm good) but what happen if I go under 8V, any chance of breaking something or is the Flix simply wont work? I ask because the knob on the variable power supply is easy to move and I don't want to use it on the wrong setting resulting in the death of my Flix. The Flix is still working great, I'm still using it with a regular power supply to get a feel for it before I use the variable power supply or play with the height of the coil to get the perfect hit. My serial number is 017 so I keep a close eye on it since I'm in the batch of Flix with potential to fail but so far so good.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I got a question about the variable voltage range of the Flix. The unit can be use from 8V to 12.5V, what happens when you go out of the range? I'm pretty sure if I go over 12.5V I'm gonna fry the Flix (my variable power supply can't go higher than 12.5V so I'm good) but what happen if I go under 8V, any chance of breaking something or is the Flix simply wont work? I ask because the knob on the variable power supply is easy to move and I don't want to use it on the wrong setting resulting in the death of my Flix. The Flix is still working great, I'm still using it with a regular power supply to get a feel for it before I use the variable power supply or play with the height of the coil to get the perfect hit. My serial number is 017 so I keep a close eye on it since I'm in the batch of Flix with potential to fail but so far so good.

Great question, @The Chemist ! The short answer is that over-voltage will harm the Flix, while under-voltage won't.

The somewhat longer answer is that the relay in the Flix has a miminum threshold voltage to operate. It varies a bit due to tolerances, but ~7.5 volts (+/- 0.3V) is the minimum. The relay won't close below that, so all lower power settings are the same. Your range is >7.5V-to-12.5V.

Warning: Try to limit your Flix heating cycles to a max of 10 seconds each. Longer heating cycles increase and concentrate heat within the components, and the Flix isn't built to smelt steel. ;)

The Flix does not have a sustained over-voltage protection circuit. I considered one, and went so far as to spec it and draw up the schematic for it, but testing revealed it has the potential to interfere with battery use, so I've left it out for now. Over voltage hasn't been a problem that users have reported. Yet.

Fluxer Updates:

I would prefer to make this a separate post, but that's frowned upon, so I'll add a few quick updates here.

Flux Deluxe: Current batch (September 2019) is almost done. I expect to finish it this weekend and will send out invoices as soon as the builds are complete. I'll probably take a week to work on some Flix, then move on to October 2019.

Flix: So far, so good. My inbox has been very calm, and it would appear that the revised components are working as expected as I haven't had any reports to the contrary. If this calm continues, I'll add more FLix tot he store as soon as the current batch f Flux Deluxes are complete. I'll post a notice here when I do, so you folks who have been waiting for me to do this will get a heads up. ;)

Variable Votlage PSUs: I have some on order, but they aren't here yet. This has been the story with these things, and I've had a difficult time buying these in quantity. Well, buying them has been easy, but getting them to ship has been another matter. I'm still working on that. At the moment, the first order is still a few weeks out. I'll keep you posted. :/

Cheers,
:leaf:

Last edited:

NexVision

Got my Flux back today with 16mm coil in and carbon running beautiful, also got the new switch cover so will get to see the difference between the 2. Got my Flix as well but dont have my VVP yet but I was able to get one on next day so should be able to start testing that puppy out tom cant wait..
ZerRPoj.jpg

nWbOcq9.jpg

Your picture makes me so uncomfortable lol
LOL it has a little bit of everything to make you question everything you think you know about reality.
ME, too!!!. What the hell IS that thing? I think it stirs up some Freudian issues that I'm not ready to embrace ... forget I said that!
Ya know if I help one person I have done my part. :D

someTooL

#284 & #33 checking in.

The Gunmetal Fluxer is everything I’d hoped for. Artisan type build with high QC. 16mm coil with 2mm glass (same as Flix) and running VTC5’s on the inside. Ti tip is my go to. Super soft push activation and boom it’s ready. End results have been above expectations. I really thought I’d have to adjust my IH technique, but it was really pulling at the click with no variables needed. Best advise to anyone on “the list”, wait patiently as it is worth the wait...or pick up a Flix while you wait.

The “Golden Nugget” Flix arrived home today too @mr_cfromcali and working great. I literally boxed up my other IH and put it away. Side by side with the Fluxer, it performs identically. Trust me, I experimented most of the evening. Speaking of experiments, I’ve been trying alternating between the button and pushing the stem to activate. Pushing the stem down will bring a darker load while using the button leaves it golden. I’ve been alternating with super results. Big potential with the Flix as a desktop and possibly battery powered portable. I mean it already runs off a cigarette lighter.

Thanks again @mr_cfromcali for for the great products and CS. Sign me up for anything in the future your noggin dreams up!

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

A few updates

Flix:
I just added 30 Flix to the Fluxer store. Thank you for your patience while I gave the new components a chance to prove themselves in the field. So far, so good on that score, so I’m ready to swing the Flix back into production. :tup:

Flux Deluxe: I’ve finished all but one or two of the FDs for the September 2019 cohort, and will start invoicing for those tonight and tomorrow. I plan on doing another run of Flix after the current one, then I’ll turn my attention to pulling together the October 2019 cohort.

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers,
:leaf:

MerryMarauder

Will pipes caldron power supply work with flix? Is there a place to buy reliable power supply for the flix that anyone recommends?

Is there any videos on all the options on the flix?

MerryMarauder,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Will pipes caldron power supply work with flix? Is there a place to buy reliable power supply for the flix that anyone recommends?

Not sure of the specs for the Cauldron, but the Flix needs a 12VDC / 10A power supply with a center positive tip. The DC power port on the Flix has a 2.5mm x 5.5mm jack, which is one standard size, comes with an adapter for the 2.1mm x 5.5mm tip size, which is the other standard size.

This fixed voltage PSU is pretty good and easy to find: SHNITPWR 12V 10A 120W DC Power Supply Adapter 100V~240V AC to DC Converter 12 Volt 10 Amp Transformer 5.5x2.5mm Tip for 5050 3528 LED Strip Light 3D Printer LED Driver CCTV Security System LCD Monitor, by SNT-POWER: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWZQ33N/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0R.cFbYF6SPND

This variable voltage PSU takes more time to acquire but will give you a lot of range for using the Flix: 3-12V 10A Display Regulated AC/DC Adapter Switching Power Supply Adapter Power Adapter - US Plug: https://www.banggood.com/3-12V-10A-...ml?rmmds=mywishlist&ID=47757&cur_warehouse=CN

The above PSU is also available on eBay.

Is there any videos on all the options on the flix?

Unfortunately, I do not have all of the options on video yet.

There are pictures of all the options on the Flix page: https://fluxerheaters.com/flix

This is the Flix announcement video and demo, which you've probably already seen:

I'm sure others will offer some suggestions as well.

MerryMarauder

Thx for the reply I actually ordered the Amazon one right before seeing your post. Thx for the info page, been on the store page thinking that was all the info. Looks like I'm all ready till my flix arrives.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
A quick update: I have lots of heaters to pack and ship - thank you!

The Fluxer store is currently sold out of Flix. Thank you! I have more ready to go and will be adding more inventory to the store as soon as I have shipped the heaters mentioned above.

Just wanted to let folks know I am focused on shipping heaters this week, both Flux Deluxe and Flix. If you ordered a Flix from the store over the weekend or were part of the most recent Flux Deluxe cohort: Thank you! Over the next few days I will be packing your heater and sending it off to you.

Finally, I just want to thank everyone for your continued support for my little one-man induction heater shop, especially these past few weeks! Thank you for your patience as well. I began selling the Flix a little over a month ago, it's been a very hectic introduction, as the regulars here noticed from my posts. The new heater wasn't the immediate "team player" I expected it to be, lol, and it has been schooling me pretty hard on various aspects of my operation since then. It's been a pretty steep climb, tbh. I'm hopeful I have the right mix of parts now, and that I've also worked out my software and "process" issues, and in general have learned from my recent mistakes and made corrections, but only time will tell. From a customer service perspective, I'm sure the last month has been a bit fraught at times, and as more heaters failed my attention was spread pretty thin, so I'm also hopeful I haven't pissed off too many of you. I have a few remaining action items to complete for a few customers - which I believe I have discussed with you if I still owe you something - and AFAIK the other outstanding issues of the last few weeks have been resolved. Please follow up with me via email or DM if you have concerns, criticisms, or if I have not responded to your inquiry in a timely manner! I'm not trying to slight or avoid anyone, but my inbox fills up and I can miss things.

Thanks again, everyone! I like building things that make people happy, and I appreciate that so many of you like my heaters. I also appreciate that a few of you who bought my heaters had mediocre experiences, and I am sorry for that. I've noted where I missed the mark, and I'll try to do better in the future.

TL;DR: Thanks for your business! It's been a hectic month, I have a lot of heaters to ship out, and I look forward to making more heaters for folks in the very near future! :tup:

Cheers and stay safe!

McCrixus

The Fluxer store is currently sold out of Flix. Thank you! I have more ready to go and will be adding more inventory to the store as soon as I have shipped the heaters mentioned above.

Just wanted to let folks know I am focused on shipping heaters this week, both Flux Deluxe and Flix. If you ordered a Flix from the store over the weekend or were part of the most recent Flux Deluxe cohort: Thank you! Over the next few days I will be packing your heater and sending it off to you.

Finally, I just want to thank everyone for your continued support for my little one-man induction heater shop, especially these past few weeks! Thank you for your patience as well. I began selling the Flix a little over a month ago, it's been a very hectic introduction, as the regulars here noticed from my posts. The new heater wasn't the immediate "team player" I expected it to be, lol, and it has been schooling me pretty hard on various aspects of my operation since then. It's been a pretty steep climb, tbh. I'm hopeful I have the right mix of parts now, and that I've also worked out my software and "process" issues, and in general have learned from my recent mistakes and made corrections, but only time will tell. From a customer service perspective, I'm sure the last month has been a bit fraught at times, and as more heaters failed my attention was spread pretty thin, so I'm also hopeful I haven't pissed off too many of you. I have a few remaining action items to complete for a few customers - which I believe I have discussed with you if I still owe you something - and AFAIK the other outstanding issues of the last few weeks have been resolved. Please follow up with me via email or DM if you have concerns, criticisms, or if I have not responded to your inquiry in a timely manner! I'm not trying to slight or avoid anyone, but my inbox fills up and I can miss things.

Thanks again, everyone! I like building things that make people happy, and I appreciate that so many of you like my heaters. I also appreciate that a few of you who bought my heaters had mediocre experiences, and I am sorry for that. I've noted where I missed the mark, and I'll try to do better in the future.

TL;DR: Thanks for your business! It's been a hectic month, I have a lot of heaters to ship out, and I look forward to making more heaters for folks in the very near future! :tup:

Cheers and stay safe!
I was on the waiting list for a full yr, and it was totally worth the wait! Although I do wish I had gotten the top with the opening to the power button. But love it all the same.

Cheers and stay safe!
I was on the waiting list for a whole year for my fluxe deluxe and it was totally worth it! Although I wish I had gotten the top with the opening to the power switch. I love it all the same, and use it daily.

Top Bottom